Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hello Thread,

I thought I would post some pictures of me and my wifes basically... well herp zoo at this point... like half of them are ones we rescued from people who were going to throw them away or have euthanized. So starting with the newest rescue.

This is Sammy, She is a 16 year old female red slider we rescued on monday. She has never had a basking spot before being only in water in a tank way to small for her. She is also really overweight... I mean really overweight. what we have her in now while bigger is also too small so we are hunting for a 125 gallon we can afford or that is free. If any Goons in the MD region know of an available tank hit me up please. At 16 she is also the second oldest pet in the household

We are taking her out for walks for exercise and trying to teach her to eat leafy greens. Hopefully she loses the fat rolls with some love and care.

Next:

This is Chocolate Chip Cookie a fat tailed lizard female. She is technically my Niece's, but we take care of her mostly while training the kid on proper herp care. She is mostly friendly and will occasionally walk onto my open hand... other times she nibbles on my finger.

Speckles the Pac-man frog juvenile. Very upset that they were dug up so I could add some more plants to the bio-active set up they are in.

Speaking of upset

There is THIS rear end in a top hat. Trigger the Tokay Gecko, as normal per the species he is highly aggressive and does not like to be touched. He is VERY PRETTY THOUGH

Moving on to more approachable animals is Eragon, my mother's Bearded Dragon. He enjoys blueberries, long walks around the house, and begging for food anytime the roach bin is handled. He is also a rescue

My mother also has a Veiled Chameleon

Not visible but when we found him at a reptile show he had a really bad wound on his left eye so my mother of course had to save him.

Next is Banana our 12 year old Crested Gecko. She came to us when my wife went out to buy a tank a lady was getting rid of. Turns out there was a Gecko in the tank that was not advertised so we ended up with a Gecko as well. She has been with us for 3 years now, mostly eats fruit mash. She may seem very friendly and approachable, but that is just a trick so she can banzai dive off the top of your shoulder.

Small Colony of Long-Tailed Lizards

After them is my adult Pac-Man

Seen here resting, thinking he is buried but not entirely.

Finally for animals behold our homemade White's Tree Frog enclosure.

My wife made it a out of a display cabinet. Currently housing four White's inside two male, two female all adults, we could add more tbh.

The frogs love to hide in the pterodactyl planters, I have seen up to three of them cram into a single planter before, I am not sure how they fit their fat asses into there. Image is of the two females stacked on each other with a bit of a leg show going on.

The Log embeded into the tank is hollow and acts as a tunnel for the frogs to chill inside or move up to the higher levels of the tank. Featuring Spork, our oldest White's and first acquisition. He like's to hunt for his food and thus gets weighed regularly to make sure he is actually catching and eating prey. He does occasionally deign to eat in my presence, mostly when he gets a hornworm or nightcrawler as a treat.

All animals are fed a varied diet with primary insectivore food being Dubia roaches from our personal colony, supplemented as appropriate with mealworms, hornworms, and nightcrawlers.

So many loving roaches, I swear they eat better than I do as well. Cleaning is also a nightmare because of tweezing the hundreds of baby roaches out of the detritus.

All in all I really enjoy watching and taking care of all of them. Such beautiful and fascinating little creatures.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

MillennialVulcan posted:

This is very cool, I need to look into doing something like this.

Ensure adequate venting and airflow. the tank there has some fans installed in the back with meshed cut throughs to ensure good airflow. If you are building vertical having a very deep substrate for your plants to dig into is also useful,

Make sure to seal the tank with something safe for reptiles, let that clear out any fumes, then build your surfaces, we used a non-toxic foam to build to terrain while installing the log and the climbing perches and sticks. Then covered it all in repti-soil after letting it have some time to make sure it was set and there were no fumes or potentially anything else to hurt the frogs. We had plants higher up as well but didn't build the bowls deep enough for the roots to set in so if you want several layers of plants make sure you build very deep pockets for them to nest into. the Top of the tank is mesh with a heat lamp, regular light and a uvb bulb, while White's are primarily nocturnal they like to occasionally rest up on a basking ledge we built into the tank during the day to get the uvb.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Desert Bus posted:

Have you considered Tillandsia's for higher up plants?

No, those would probably be great if I can pretty much staple them into the wall of the tank or the top of the tunnel log.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Spork wishes to thank you for your advice and reminds you that the best part of waking up, is a chill frog in a cup.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah, both would be easy. I just don’t want to keep crickets long term (ugh)

I’ll happily make tegu mash and eggs and mix up crested gecko food and even hand-feed canned snails every day but gently caress me I did not want to go back to having to deal with loving crickets I hate them so much

Maybe they would eat some roaches? I find roaches easier to deal with than loving crickets.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Always exciting to get home from work and discover one of my tarantulas has decided to moult. I don't have so many that it happens all the time. Plus you get a brand new, bigger spider with updated colours!

Admittedly the actual moulting process looks like a weird jumble of tarantula parts. Plus there is always the worry that it will go wrong. Go, Jack Skellington, go! Looking forward to seeing your new clothes little chap/chapette.

Every time my crayfish molts it looks like it get ripped into shreds, then me worriedly looking for them to make sure they molted ok and didn't die midmolt. I assume it's the same feeling there.

The colors on the fresh shell are absolutely exceptional.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

100%. Are crayfish also vulnerable as hell for a while afterwards? With Ts you have to wait days until their fangs harden until you feed them. Also, even a small cricket/cannibalistic feeder left in with a freshly-moulted T is capable of killing it.

Same question for snakes actually, given there are tons of keepers in here.

Highly Vulnerable, but he doesn't have anything in his tank that would view him as prey, He's also the largest thing in there by a good margin. Easier to feed as he will munch on pretty much anything provided so even after molting as long as I drop food in near where he likes to hide he will extend a claw out to snag it and bring it in.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Who's my clever little Pumpkin King(/Queen)

Very Pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Fly River Turtle. I saw one of these in a pet store once and felt kind of gross about it.

I had to go transport clients there for a trip thursday. I saw that turtle! Also the alligator snapping turtle was trying to bite through their tank to eat the small children staring at it.