Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Is this the thread for general spider chat? I see tarantula stuff in the OP and no other obvious thread so assuming so.

Just entered the hobby today - bought a juvenile T sabulosum (Guatemalan Red Rump). Don't know the sex as yet - think it's about an inch or maybe a fraction bigger. Anway I'm delighted to have it - maybe now I will stop talking to my wife about spiders all the time. Or maybe it will get worse, who knows. It'll probably get worse and I'll probably buy more tarantulas. Anyway, here's my new little buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Cardiovorax posted:

Going by the size of the abdomen I would be inclined to say female, but it's hard to say from a shot like that.

Could it not also just mean it's full? It did refuse a locust after I got it home. Would be lovely if it were a female for sure.

If you can suggest a more useful angle shot I can try and procure one.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Cardiovorax posted:

On average, males have smaller abdomens than females. I looked up some reference pictures first, but I admit it's just an educated guess. It could be that your new spider just needs a big ol' spider poop.

If you can get a shot that shows of their pedipalps, sexing them would be easier. The pedipalps are one of the primary sexual organs of spiders and males usually have a distinct and different shape to theirs. There are species where you basically can't tell unless you put them under a microscope, though, so take that as the generalized statement that it is.

Yup I'm aware of the palp differences - I think it's a bit early with this one though. I did look and they're pretty skinny at the moment. I believe (though still learning) the most usual way with tarantulas is to look for spermatheca after a molt. Hopefully within a molt or two I should be able to get it confirmed for sure!

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

ZarathustraFollower posted:

The....frig, it's been too long, the fold thingy on the underside of the abdomen is reliable

Spermatheca I assume you mean?

Not arrived at roaches yet. The idea of accidentally letting one loose in the house is less pleasant than with locusts or crickets. But hey, spider's gotta eat.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 24, 2021

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Cowslips Warren posted:

Crickets make noise and loving reek. At least feeder roaches are clean.

True. Locusts don't seem to smell though, at least in my limited experience. Still, I'll do whatever's best for the spider (though it's a bit small for roaches right now anyway). Still working out the logistics of this. I would imagine running a breeding programme may be excessive for a single or even two or three spiders. How long is it realistic to try and store live food for? I'm under the impression right now that I'll need to restock every couple of weeks.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Bingemoose posted:

Never thought i'd say this but thats kind of cool. what the hell do you feed Tarantulas?

Crickets, locusts, roaches and different kinds of worms are the staples I believe, but younger ones tend to be fed with flies and titchy stuff, and bigger adults can also eat small mammals and reptiles, but I'm not anticipating feeding those, myself.

I took another one last night that I liked under some overhead light:

Got a deeper tank coming on Wednesday so it can have a fresher (and higher) substrate with a bit more depth for burrowing if it wants to.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Very exciting last 24 hours for me; last night I had my first moult since starting to keep tarantulas in January. It was the first one I'd bought; she'd been in pre-moult about 3 weeks and I noticed her on her back yesterday afternoon. She was lying on a little web blanket she'd spun, which I know is pretty usual, but I found it enormously cute anyway. By the time I went to bed she was out but pretty curled up. Now she's in her burrow so although I saw her abdomen last night with the new hairs, I haven't really had a good look at her new "coat" yet. Looking forward to when she feels ready to come out.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

fuzzy_logic posted:

Very cool! I'm having a minor crisis of confidence after having my first failed feeding yesterday but my guy's butt is looking big so he's either full or possibly going into premolt himself.

Definitely sounds like potential pre-moult. Darkening abdomen can also be a pointer (mine's normally red-haired abdomen went pretty dark and shiny). Or it could be getting close to it and eating less often; one of my other Ts seems to be doing this. But either way, nothing to lose confidence or worry about - they can go and sometimes do go ages without eating. Just important to not leave live prey in with it for too long if you suspect it's in pre-moult.

edit: Tarantula is out of her burrow. She's gone back to her moult mat and has been chilling on it. :3: Still not seen her at full stretch but she's looking pretty from her legs and abdomen.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 13, 2021

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

fuzzy_logic posted:

very cool, what species? mine's fossorial so I only see him by craning my neck and jamming a flashlight in his face. And yeah I yank the prey if he won't take it after a few tries, otherwise they burrow, eugh.

It's a T sabulosus, Guatemalan Red Rump. Terrestrial, but she has burrowed quite a way down underneath her hide, to the bottom corner of the enclosure. The zest of youth. Having said that, she is out and about most of the time (got less so during pre-moult).

I haven't got a fossorial, but I understand your experience is the norm. What species do you have?

On prey, if it's a burrowing critter like a mealworm I crush the head just in case. Reaaally don't want burrowing, like you say. Or any bite-capable prey near a moulting T.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 14, 2021

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

fuzzy_logic posted:

I think you may be right and it may be premolt, tonight he just grabbed the worm and punched it in the head for about ten minutes and then left it. Video of entirely unnecessary spider-on-mealworm violence: (worm was taken away and is fine for now)

https://i.imgur.com/3yTzAIJ.mp4

Gonna let him be for a week or so and see what he's up to

Exciting (the pre-moult not the violence). Another of mine has been in premoult for a few weeks and the last couple of days has started webbing the poo poo out of his enclosure. Think I'm going to have a second moult pretty soon. The first one to moult is doing well - getting nice and dark and basking in the heat, but I think I'll give it a couple more days before trying to feed her.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

the yeti posted:

Any of y'all tarantula goons kept Monocentropus balfouri ?

I've only been keeping since January so only have 4 tarantulas, but that aside, I don't plan to get any old world species, as beautiful as some (including the balfouri) are. You got one/thinking of getting one?

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 22, 2021

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Chaosfeather posted:

I don't know arachnid behavior. Is this the equivalence of a very huffy, feisty kitten? or more like a large Good Dog guarding the property?

Either way I find the fuzz endearing.

That's a threat pose. The tarantula is saying "don't gently caress with me, and if you continue to do so I shall bite".

I had my first such pose from my T sabulosus yesterday. It's still a good way off its adult size, but it's gotten more confident since its recent moult. I slid back the lid to refill its water bowl and it began walking around, getting on top of its hide, so I took the opportunity to get a few snaps. Then it put its two front legs over the lid - a prelude to exiting the enclosure. I got a paint brush and tried to encourage it backwards by gently pressing onto its front legs - threat pose. Needed to get its legs off the lid so I could slide it back, so tried again. Little bugger attacked the brush, though did then recede backwards. Cheeky spider.

One of the pics just for good measure. The red hairs on the abdomen are becoming more pronounced, though the carapace still needs to darken quite a lot to get closer to the adult colours.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Another moult from my T sabulosus - adult colours really coming through now. She is a good girl and is always hungry.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Always nice to discover a new moult. My Green Bottle Blue spiderling obliged while I was away on holiday. Been about a week now and here he/she is, replete with fresh colouration, enjoying a nice juicy locust.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My Nhandu chromatus spiderling, Rasputin, moulted yesterday. Have a lot of affection for this little guy, as I got him free with another tarantula and he was miniscule, likely 1st instar. Early on he survived me dropping his pot and the substrate going everywhere, hence his name. He's growing into a big, strong boy. Or girl. Still quite a way to go though before he reaches his 6-7 inch adult size.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My Tliltocatl sabulosus, Maggie, enjoying her first meal in 128 days.

She was my first T, purchased as a juvenile; now she's in the sub-adult territory. She was about two thirds of her adult size before her last moult a couple of weeks ago. She's a good spider and I love her.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Don't see any tarantula chat in here ever, so don't know if anyone cares, but here's a pic of my GBB, Gothmog, who just moulted. Well on the way to his/her adult colours, though still a good bit of growth to be done.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

artsy fartsy posted:

D'aawwww. Is he as soft as he looks or is the hair more coarse?

Definitely not soft! Or at least not what you would want to be stroking, were he to somehow allow that. Those are urticating hairs - basically barbed bristles. Most New World species of tarantula have them; apart from just fleeing, it's their main defense mechanism (Old Worlds lack them, but tend to have gently caress off nasty venom instead). They will kick them at potential predators; they can cause a irritation on the skin, and you definitely don't want to get them in your eyes or anything like that. If you see a bald patch on a tarantula's abdomen it's because they've been stressed or annoyed and have been kicking hairs.

Gothmog is a good boy though and hasn't kicked at all since I've had him. :3:

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
They rock, and their visual transition from sling to adult is very satisfying. Fast bastards, though!

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Always exciting to get home from work and discover one of my tarantulas has decided to moult. I don't have so many that it happens all the time. Plus you get a brand new, bigger spider with updated colours!

Admittedly the actual moulting process looks like a weird jumble of tarantula parts. Plus there is always the worry that it will go wrong. Go, Jack Skellington, go! Looking forward to seeing your new clothes little chap/chapette.

edit:

Improbable Lobster posted:

They are adorable!

Artsygrrl posted:

Brilliant color on that one! Gothmog is a fine name.

Thank you! Gothmog is doing great; eating for England, as per usual.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 8, 2024

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

AtomikKrab posted:

Every time my crayfish molts it looks like it get ripped into shreds, then me worriedly looking for them to make sure they molted ok and didn't die midmolt. I assume it's the same feeling there.

100%. Are crayfish also vulnerable as hell for a while afterwards? With Ts you have to wait days until their fangs harden until you feed them. Also, even a small cricket/cannibalistic feeder left in with a freshly-moulted T is capable of killing it.

Same question for snakes actually, given there are tons of keepers in here.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 8, 2024

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Who's my clever little Pumpkin King(/Queen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Thanks. Sometimes you gotta go classic!

(colours definitely a bit richer now)

edit:

'Ello. :3:

Still don't know the sex as I didn't end up taking the exuvium out before the little blighter chewed it up.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 9, 2024