Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I was thinking about posting in SA Mart, but figured I'd ask here first: I'm looking to go up to a larger tank for my beardy, do you all have a particular site you prefer? Or if anyone has a 50+ gallon they'd part with I'd rather give a goon money dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Thanks guys, I figured CL would be good. I've got no problem moving it, so busy need to find one! I'll keep an eye out at the pet smart, didn't know they did that!

E: got one off someone for .66 a gallon. Thanks again!

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 12, 2017

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Got my habitat all set up and little dude loves it! Question though, because I trust goons: how do I get him to poo poo in one area. I know they drop a lot when young, but I'm not sure how to make this happen. GF beardy does it no prob, but it's older by a few months.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Cless Alvein posted:

...I did not know you can actually potty train some of them.

Couple of my reptiles naturally poo in one spot.

Leopard Gecko has her poopin cave.

One of the corn snakes turns her water bowl into a toilet bowl and I hate her for it.

I'm thinking about moving his fecal matter to the spot for a while, but if that doesn't work I can live with it. I could move it to near where he does the most too.

Anyway, he seems pretty content with his living space, got a huge tank for cheap as gently caress so he can run, climb, and hide to his tiny lizard brain's content. The kids love the poo poo of of him!

That sucks about the snake, that's gotta be a pain.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Oh god, I tried to pick up a poop the other day that I thought was fully dry, cracked it open, and let loose a miserable fog of hate.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Smug rear end in a top hat on pride rock:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That's a cute goddamn lizard:3:

Mine was being lazy today hanging in his log hide. I was envious as I drove to work.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

D'aaawwww, thanks! :hfive:

Is yours naturally that light or is it just the tank lighting?

It's mostly the lighting, I've got the UVB lamps all along the tank, but a couple closer to his basking spot. Another is close to another vertical space, he's a big fan of all the lights. I believe he's about to shed again, he's got some bright orange, and it's really vivid on his ears. I'm post another pic after the shed. Here's he is today:

And here's the tank itself:

One of him before a shed when I got him:

My kids are pretty drat happy about him as well!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

He's a cutie. :3:

How big is that tank? I've got Elmore in a 40-gallon, but as he's getting bigger I'm thinking I might need to upgrade.

Somewhere between 130 and 150. Craigslist special! I figure he's got room to run a bit more and it gave me more space to give him some climbing areas. My girlfriend has hers in a 40 gal and she seems content in there, chills in the hammock and runs after her crickets! Good times.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

HungryMedusa posted:

I would love a beardie but it's hard to find the space for an enclosure that large in my house. I've seen dragons with their owners at Petco and reptile shows on cute little leashes and they are so chill. Some day I'd love to have one. Not sure about roaches anywhere near my house though.

As long as you can keep them secure it's ok, like putting a larger bowl or something around the enclosure for the roaches. I need to get my beardy more used to handling while he's young.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Invader Zym posted:

10 year old daughter wants a pet lizard for her birthday. She's relatively responsible and careful. I'm looking for something not too expensive, tolerant of handling, that can live in a 20 gallon tank or smaller. Crested gecko and leopard gecko seem like the best candidates - any recommendation between the two, or another species?

IIRC my cousins had a few leopard geckos at some point, among other things. Always heard about how great they are as a pet since they're pretty easy.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Cless Alvein posted:

Since there is a decent crossover of people, anybody know a good place for Scorpions and Tarantulas or am I stuck searching through arachnoboards and what little is on faundaclassified?

Wanna get my first T. Thinking either Pink Toe, Mexican Red Knee or preferably a Greenbottle Blue.

I don't know if you're in the STL area, but their Herp/whatever show used to have some really cool breeders. If you're not and I'm up there at some point soon I'll check it out for you if you want.

E:sp

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Desert Bus posted:

One of my friends is in the market for a Bearded Dragon. Having both the knowledge that breeders have produced some very pretty animals and the money to purchase one, she is curious as to which breeders can be trusted. So I come to you to ask where that knowledge can be obtained. Thanks!

I used these guys, super nice and they shipped s soon as payment cleared. Got my dragon the next day, they have some awesome looking ones imo. Atomic Lizard Ranch

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

No experience with the breed in that manner, but from a wildlife conservation standpoint don't do this. Also, yes, they're likely to die, not just from fights either. It's not a good idea to introduce any animal you buy to a new area, you can't really know what has gone on in their life that would affect putting them into the wild.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Ok, thanks for the explanation, great discussion. I know it's easier to just say "it's bad don't do it" and speak in general terms, but it's nice to get an explanation without people getting defensive about being questioned. I just wanted a better understanding and got one. No way would I risk the health of the Anole population in my yard, I enjoy them too much :)

Thanks again.

Sorry, didn't want to do a super long post, but I understood what you meant. Also I didn't see the thread again until just now, so whoops! Glad you got more specifics though.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I have hornworms coming for my beardie in a few days. I can't wait to see him chow down, he's getting comfortable with me reaching in and feeding him now, but he needs to chase poo poo too.

Chill as gently caress.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This thread needs more Elmore. This little guy has got serious attitude and I love him for it.

Striking a pose:

Get outta my face, I'm trying to sleep:

I see that, and raise you a "scuse me I'm tryna smash"

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

mactheknife posted:

So, our beardie has picked up a parasite and as part of the treatment and prevention process the vet has told us to get rid of organic materials like wood in his tank, as they can harbor stuff. This means he's losing his driftwood, which he loves.

Cursory glance at amazon and petco looks like all the similar stuff for sale is "natural," is there anyone out there that makes poly equivalents for climbing?

Oh poo poo, that sucks! My dude loves his driftwood. If it's just climbing surface you need for now you could probably fashion some stuff with builders cloth in a pinch.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Goddammit, now you're making me want to add a Captains chair to the tank. I bet he'd climb it.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hornworms are apparently goddamn veal steak to 'ol sunny. He now stares at me in the morning hard as gently caress in the same spot, waiting to murder the little green tasties.

How the gently caress does a lizard have so much charisma?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

A beardy. Tangerine markings, he's about to shed again though, so I'll throw up a new pic when he does. Need to try to get him used to being held, but if it's too stressful I will stop.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Agrajag posted:

Do you breed your own hornworms?

I just took a look at the price in my area and they're like a buck a piece.

Not yet, I'm looking into it. If I did I wouldn't mind trying to hook goons up because the prices online are pretty ridiculous.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Cless Alvein posted:

Online are better than in store. I think I paid roughly $13 for 6 of them.

https://dubiaroaches.com/collections/hornworms-for-sale

Isn't TOO awful. The flat rate shipping helps. Especially if you're buying more than hornworms.

They are also crack to all bug eating reptiles.

I couldn't help but laugh at how he jumped at my hand every time I reached in.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hey Motherfucker, I just shed some, I saw you take a piss, get over here and feed me by hand you man wench.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Awesome. Elmore gets so excited taking mealworms from my hand that occasionally he gets a fingertip instead. He's going through a shed right now too.

In the meantime, here's some pics of Lily getting up close and personal with him from a couple weeks back. They're kinda fuzzy because I was trying to get the shot before she heard me and jumped down:

Bonus rock star pose:

Hell yeah, was hoping for more of this!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That's an awesome snek

I'm hoping to go to a good reptile show soon just to chill at.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I think that's my cute quota observation for the day :swoon:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That is a thicc knee

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Good on you for calling the right people for that gecko, and gently caress if that thing ain't cute! The updates are nice!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Agrajag posted:

Lol, I'm gonna need like a 200x or something for molts from these tiny slings.

In other news I think I'm in love with Avics/caribena/ybyrbora species or arboreal species in general. The webbings they make are so cool. I also think I may just have to pick up a 3" Female GBB after realizing I love looking at tarantula webs.

That and I need something to eat all the feeder insects I bought at that reptile expo. As it turns out 1000 1/4 crickets + 200 mealworms (while I wait for my Dubia colony to establish itself) is waaay to much.

Oh, and HOLY HELL crickets stink like nothing I've ever smelt before. It's not like a rotting food smell or anything like that but it's this weird stink/funk that hit you like a hammer and lingers at the back of your throat and nose. It's soooo gross and trying to catch individual crickets to feed off is such a pain in the rear end.

Yeah, crickets are pretty nasty. That's all I got for ya.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Agrajag posted:

How concerned should I be with one of my spiderlings molting out with one messed up leg that it ended up eating??

Don't, that fucker is hard as nails and will grow up to be a bounty hunter.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Beardy is bruminating, I'm mad jealous of that lazy gently caress.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Goddamn those are cute :kimchi:

E: bruminating dragon makes me so loving jealous still. I want to sleep through winter too! He looks so cozy in his hide

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Sunny continues to mock me from beneath his hide.

As I go to work, he sleeps. When I come back, he might grace me with a slight opening of one scaly lid. Just so, to peer at me in smug relaxation as he continues to live in opulence.

Work sucks, I want to be the lizard.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

The Midgard serpent protects

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Beardy opened his eyes to scowl at me the other day when it got up to 60 outside.

That lucky fucker is back asleep again.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Sunny finally came out of bruminating last week. Three months of living the dream, that little rear end in a top hat has me jealous. He also believes me to be his personal servant who rains superworms from the sky.

I think I'm the pet at this point.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Knorth posted:

That's such a good lizard :3:

Deffo

Sunny saw me this morning when I came back downstairs and went buckwild. Running everywhere, even crawled around on the hammock he's refused to touch. Then he managed to knock part of his rock mountain over.

He's dying to hunt live quick things, so we headed to the local shop for crickets and dubias

E:

He's been super active, this cricket got chased, and then stalked after it hid under his rocks. I've got more live coming tomorrow I think.

E2: dubias showed up half an hour ago or so, fed sunny a handful and watched him obliterate like the little monster he is.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 28, 2018

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yeah, my beardy shits on his lava rocks and I take them out and blast em clean.

As soon as I put the rocks back in he shits on them immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Knormal posted:

A lot of lizards poop on their basking rocks to mark their territory. He's probably pissed you keep trying to claim his spot.

Huh, I learned a thing. Thanks for that, guess he's gonna be pissed in a few days again.