Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
In a few weeks I'm going to be the proud owner of a baby Russian rat snake. It's been about 15 years since I last owned a snake and I've got a completely different set-up going on.

Can someone please tell me whether or not I should actually stick my heat mat to the bottom (underside) of the glass tank, or leave a small gap between the mat and the glass instead? It's made to stick on but I see a lot of people online saying this will eventually crack the glass (and just as many disagreeing.) The mat will not cover the entire bottom of the tank in order to create a heat gradient, and my apartment tends to run cold, so I'm probably going to try leaving the adhesive paper on and using something (little rubber feet, I guess) to lift the tank up a bit to get that air gap (and to also keep the tank from sitting on the cord.) I just hope that will still be warm enough (I'm not using a screen top but one of those conversion kits where you turn the tank in its side.)

I do have a stat for the heat mat, by the way, although I'm seeing different opinions on the ideal placement for the probe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Thanks very much for the replies!

Btw if anyone is interested in a Russian rat snake I got mine from Third Eye Herp, who just listed the hatchlings for sale a few days ago. I've never seen one in person but when I decided I was ready for another snake this is where my research led me, they apparently have really cool personalities.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I just wanted to share Baby Frank with y'all because it turns out almost everyone I know hates snakes and it's really bumming me out.

He was shy at first and stayed in his hide boxes but now he's always out and about, whether he's feeling active or just chilling. He eats like a champ and just keeps getting fatter and fatter. My heart melts!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Oh, my god :3:

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I manage a small wastewater plant, which includes a digester (basically a 10,000-gallon concrete pit that I fill up with sludge throughout the year until there's enough to hire someone to haul away) and the other day noticed this very sad sight:

Can you see it??

Here it is zoomed in:

Poor little guy. :cry:

The good news is I was able to just reach him with a long rake thing (10-12 feet long), and while he tried to bite it at first he eventually wrapped the end of his tail around one of the tines and I was able to lift him out, give him a shower and put him somewhere away from all the poo.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Bored posted:

I’m fairly certain that snake appreciates the help. It just may have taken until the shower for it to realize you were trying to make its day less bad.

I'm still wondering why he was even down there. But I've seen dead snakes in there before, and live frogs (that are too skittish to let me save them, unfortunately). Are they just poking around the rim and lose their balance? Are they enticed by the smell? A frog I can see jumping and not realizing there's a gaping pit where it's about to land; a snake I'm not sure about.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Just had an ice storm in my area and I lost power at my apartment for roughly 30 hours. Of course, of course I recently got a bulk order of 100 frozen pinkie mice and they were in the freezer door. I never opened it while the power was off.

There's a slight odor in the freezer now, it's not strong but I plan on throwing all the frozen food out anyway. But are the mice ruined? Is there a way to tell if they're safe to feed my snake?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

learnincurve posted:

Frozen pinkies defrost really quickly, they’ll take on a green grey colour quite fast - Check the ones in the middle compared to the outside and I bet you’ll see a difference. The smell though, yeh an off pinkie honks when you warm it up.

Okay I will take a close look at the color tonight.

Also the smell went away when I threw out my food (and left the pinkies) so maybe I got lucky. I'll give them the sniff test after warming one up tho.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Hey guys, last year you helped me prepare a small enclosure for a baby Russian rat snake, thanks very much!

He's now over a year old and growing fast. I just got an unusually good bonus at work and I want to blow it all spend it wisely on a new enclosure that will be big enough to last him the rest of his life. (He will likely top out around 5 feet long.)

This is such a big purchase for me, though, and I would feel better if experienced snake handlers gave me their approval (or recommended better alternatives to anything I'm considering.)

- Toad Ranch 5x2x3 (LxDxH) PVC enclosure; glass sliding doors, acrylic windows on the sides, 4 vents at the top (currently his cage humidity is 40-50% and seems to work fine for him, I'm hoping this will be about the same with a water bowl in the new cage)

- ProProducts Radiant Heat Panel on one side (I'm waiting on them to get back to me with recommendations for the size/wattage needed)

He's a climber, and while looking for large branches/decorations I came across bird stands like these --thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

D'aawwww. Is he as soft as he looks or is the hair more coarse?