Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The new features they're talking about sound good, so I'm confident by the time they're implemented they'll be removed or heavily hamstrung, and delivered alongside some new feature where you have to repair your armor every few minutes or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

seconding that the nightly is looking decently promising now that they've decided that the player should be able to have fun on their own terms (somewhat), 4 years into development

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
hammers are dumb as hell i dont care about hammers what about the guns

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[tide comes in]

ah this water is gonna rule. i'm going to splash and frolick and laugh. i love water

[tide goes out]

what is this. what happened to my water. it's all rotten fish and rocks now

[tide comes in]

water's back baby

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ahundredbux posted:

hammers are dumb as hell i dont care about hammers what about the guns

um

mods?????????

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

oddium posted:

[tide comes in]

ah this water is gonna rule. i'm going to splash and frolick and laugh. i love water

[tide goes out]

[tide comes in]

water's back baby

Same as it ever was

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cicadas! posted:

The combat is much less poo poo now. Give the nightly a shot, all the changes are focused there because they don't give a poo poo about updating stable anymore apparently.

Like there are still lots of really dumb decisions but they have been rolling them all back one by one and the game is actually visibly moving forward in a positive direction for once. They unfucked backwards movement, it feels nice to run around again.

Hammers are a charge attack, shortswords and daggers have combos, you can twirl spears all over the place, guns all do wildly different things, and there are random generated staves now too. Also, you can move while casting with staves.

That post is actually pretty old by now and they're quite a bit further along now. Cheat yourself a bunch of monster capture pods and go get a pet, too. They fixed the capture system and it's pretty cool now tbh.

calm down todd howard

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

oddium posted:

[tide comes in]

[tide goes out]

[tide comes in]

water's back baby
This analogy would be apt if Starbound's tide had ever come in, at any point, ever.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Starbound is more of a meteor made of cockroaches that crashes through your roof.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Digirat posted:

Starbound is more of a meteor made of cockroaches that crashes through your roof.

This explains my infestation

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Digirat posted:

the 'kroaches are back, baby

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

Same as it ever was

the correct lyric response was "let the water hold me down"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BillmasterCozb posted:

yeah, spore WAS a good game. too bad it didnt live up to the hype

Spore was a mediocre, largely forgettable game. The procedural, he'll of customizable stuff was neat but it was bolted over what was really a bunch of laughably simple minigames. The paths you could take were pretty much all interchangeable. Like on the city phase the military route used guns and the religious route used identical vehicles with speakers instead. Really you just threw money, bullets, or yelling at the other cities until they joined your side. It didn't even really matter how you built anything at all you just designed a tank, built a hundred of them, and threw them at other cities until you won.

Then because the carnivore military route was the fastest and least boring you got to a galaxy full of psychopaths. All you could really do was play galactic scavenger hunt while exterminating your neighbors because they won't stop shooting your planets up. Meanwhile that one peaceful race you made friends with so you had somebody to trade with whined about grox attacking every fifteen seconds and hated you if you didn't deal with it, which meant you couldn't really explore the big neat sandbox you were dumped into.

I think that's the major flaw of a lot of sandbox games; somebody decided that there is a right way to play it. However the whole point of a sandbox is that the player can play in it like it was a real sandbox. Like hey you want a castle on a hill? Go for it! You want to build an enormous dong? Have fun dude! You want to have crazy adventures? Hell yeah brother we got you covered.

Granted in both spore and starbound you have a really pretty and cool package stapled over a minimal amount of actual game and a gigantic pile of wasted potential.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Spore was a mediocre, largely forgettable game. The procedural, he'll of customizable stuff was neat but it was bolted over what was really a bunch of laughably simple minigames. The paths you could take were pretty much all interchangeable. Like on the city phase the military route used guns and the religious route used identical vehicles with speakers instead. Really you just threw money, bullets, or yelling at the other cities until they joined your side. It didn't even really matter how you built anything at all you just designed a tank, built a hundred of them, and threw them at other cities until you won.

Then because the carnivore military route was the fastest and least boring you got to a galaxy full of psychopaths. All you could really do was play galactic scavenger hunt while exterminating your neighbors because they won't stop shooting your planets up. Meanwhile that one peaceful race you made friends with so you had somebody to trade with whined about grox attacking every fifteen seconds and hated you if you didn't deal with it, which meant you couldn't really explore the big neat sandbox you were dumped into.

I think that's the major flaw of a lot of sandbox games; somebody decided that there is a right way to play it. However the whole point of a sandbox is that the player can play in it like it was a real sandbox. Like hey you want a castle on a hill? Go for it! You want to build an enormous dong? Have fun dude! You want to have crazy adventures? Hell yeah brother we got you covered.

Granted in both spore and starbound you have a really pretty and cool package stapled over a minimal amount of actual game and a gigantic pile of wasted potential.

no i meant spore and no mans sky

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The thing I hated about spore was that it saved every iteration you made of a creature and sent it to the pool for adding to people's games. So most of the stuff you encountered in a lot of the phases were garbage "transitionary" forms. It ruined discovering other peoples cool created content, which was the best part of the game. It's a shame they didn't add all those user generation tools to a game worth playing.

At least the series redeemed itself with mega-hit Darkspore.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

At least the series redeemed itself with mega-hit Darkspore.

I read about that somewhere, but never played it - apparently they shut the servers down and it requires a connection to play so it's a dead game now (a terrible loss I'm sure).

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

victrix posted:

I read about that somewhere, but never played it - apparently they shut the servers down and it requires a connection to play so it's a dead game now (a terrible loss I'm sure).

I heard it was OK but largely generic and forgettable.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I heard it was OK but largely generic and forgettable.

Pretty much. It was a weird sort of cross between the creature phase of Spore, an ARPG and a MOBA. It was pretty OK.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It was a neat and servicable diablo clone, which IMO was worthwhile enough to give the creature creator an interesting purpose.

You'd find 'hero' specific equipment and you'd use the creator to add it, multiply it, resize it, etc. (could do this with the hero as well)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i told myself i wouldn't buy another early access game

but I bought subnautica

this game is actually probably good though

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Games › Starbound: this game is actually probably good though

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Evilreaver posted:

Games › Starbound: this game is actually probably good though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gqK7L2D9eI

Games › Starbound: 40 chairs in the room but we can only fill 6

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gqK7L2D9eI

Games › Starbound: 40 chairs in the room but we can only fill 6

a friend linked me this, apparently the entire team moved to england and bart and I didn't exist. can't really blame them for leaving it out though. i haven't watched it all but from what i have seen there's a lot of interesting subtle dev speak that's very implicating

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rhopunzel posted:

a friend linked me this, apparently the entire team moved to england and bart and I didn't exist. can't really blame them for leaving it out though. i haven't watched it all but from what i have seen there's a lot of interesting subtle dev speak that's very implicating

I'd love a play by play.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

real words in real life

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

RareAcumen posted:

I'd love a play by play.

I can't give anywhere near as good an overview as Rho, but here's what popped out to me as a person who works in software development. Some of it is just funny knowing what a mess this whole thing has been.

-What's the German word for secondhand embarrassment? I'm feeling that watching this video. Molly sounds incredibly nervous and seems like she'd rather be anywhere else than giving this presentation.

-That spacedog analogy about remote working is so awkward. Their argument that working remotely hampered productivity is really funny to anyone familiar with how long this game has taken to make.

-They use Trello for working on game features. Trello is okay for task tracking, but something like JIRA is kind of the go-to for a lot of dev teams. It lets you collaborate as a team better and supports feature estimates.

Johnny Joestar posted:

real words in real life
:allears:

-Update the website often to assure people we're still working on the game. That does inspire confidence..

-On what to put in updates: "A funny gif and a caption helps a lot." Aka the Alpaca Gambit.

-"People might fear that you've abandoned your game entirely." :ironicat:

-Flat company structure with no middle management is a massive red flag. This is a pet peeve of mine. The Valve model works for Valve because Steam makes them disgusting amounts of money and they can afford to screw around with ideas all day. You only have to read their Glassdoor page, and look at their glacial output on deliverables to see how well their flat structure actually works.

-Finn Bryce's vision is brought up! He's mostly responsible for making sure the game matches his vision.

-"He (Finn) has recruited people in a uh.. variety of ways"

-They don't give external deadlines anymore because they've missed so many.

-They've pushed deadlines because they realized there were more features they wanted to add in. This is a big red flag because that's not how you do iterative development. You deliver the product and then backlog the other features until a later iteration.

-RIP Haskell Pirate Game.

-"Finn's coming up with new ideas every week."

-Regarding their story about hooking up with Yeti Trunk, I hope they didn't have a really predatory publishing deal with ConcernedApe. He deserved all the money he made off of that game and I hope Chucklefish didn't siphon a lot of that away from him.

-"Finn... takes advice from people around the office. But he always maintains the vision of what he has in mind."

So yeah if I were just sitting there listening to this in a vacuum I would walk away feeling like these people probably aren't the most competent devs in the world.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

LordZoric posted:

the Alpaca Gambit
lmao

Also hello old friends how has it been itt and is the game still bad?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

LordZoric posted:

I can't give anywhere near as good an overview as Rho, but here's what popped out to me as a person who works in software development. Some of it is just funny knowing what a mess this whole thing has been.

-What's the German word for secondhand embarrassment? I'm feeling that watching this video. Molly sounds incredibly nervous and seems like she'd rather be anywhere else than giving this presentation.

-That spacedog analogy about remote working is so awkward. Their argument that working remotely hampered productivity is really funny to anyone familiar with how long this game has taken to make.

-They use Trello for working on game features. Trello is okay for task tracking, but something like JIRA is kind of the go-to for a lot of dev teams. It lets you collaborate as a team better and supports feature estimates.
:allears:

-Update the website often to assure people we're still working on the game. That does inspire confidence..

-On what to put in updates: "A funny gif and a caption helps a lot." Aka the Alpaca Gambit.

-Flat company structure with no middle management is a massive red flag. This is a pet peeve of mine. The Valve model works for Valve because Steam makes them disgusting amounts of money and they can afford to screw around with ideas all day. You only have to read their Glassdoor page, and look at their glacial output on deliverables to see how well their flat structure actually works.

-Finn Bryce's vision is brought up! He's mostly responsible for making sure the game matches his vision.

-"He (Finn) has recruited people in a uh.. variety of ways"

-They don't give external deadlines anymore because they've missed so many.

-They've pushed deadlines because they realized there were more features they wanted to add in. This is a big red flag because that's not how you do iterative development. You deliver the product and then backlog the other features until a later iteration.

-RIP Haskell Pirate Game.

-"Finn's coming up with new ideas every week."

-Regarding their story about hooking up with Yeti Trunk, I hope they didn't have a really predatory publishing deal with ConcernedApe. He deserved all the money he made off of that game and I hope Chucklefish didn't siphon a lot of that away from him.

-"Finn... takes advice from people around the office. But he always maintains the vision of what he has in mind."

So yeah if I were just sitting there listening to this in a vacuum I would walk away feeling like these people probably aren't the most competent devs in the world.

Pretty much all this is spot on. Molly looked extremely uncomfortable and the whole thing read like tiy wrote it. every single topic was written defensively, as though it was being shown to a debater which is classic Tiy - every time something was brought up it was immediately followed by a laundry list of reasons of why they had to do it and had no choice and why it was definitely the right thing to do AND DON'T TELL US OTHERWISE. This showed especially when the move to England came up.

The stuff said in the Q&A was the most interesting because it wasn't scripted - everything they said about Tiy from a developers perspective didn't sound too good. "Finn's coming up with new ideas every week" "Finn has a vision of what the game is and that's his job" is very careful polite dev speak for "ideas guy". I know this because I did the exact same thing in a PC Gamer interview - I said something about how the environment was very fluid and everyone just did stuff as it came, which was dev speak for "there's no loving management or direction please god help me" which a few people picked up on. When you're in a company like that pretty much everything you say publicly is heavily policed and watched so even the slightest negative connotation would have serious consequences, so you'd have to word things really subtly if you wanted to talk about a problem publicly. Also like you said, "flat management structure" is a massive red flag and just implies anarchy and high school politics. Despite Valve's example, from what I've heard from various sourced articles is that in recent years its devolved into exactly that, because there's no controls to keep the schemers in check - look up Jeri Ellsworth for an interesting article, it resonated with me a lot.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LordZoric posted:

"Is the game still being worked on?"

...Yes.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's a piece of work all right

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Been a while since I last checked out Starbound, as in "finding out Rho was no longer part of the team was a disheartening surprise" a while :shepface: Is there much meat to the colony building aspect? I've been hoping to see that for pretty much forever

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Rhopunzel posted:

look up Jeri Ellsworth for an interesting article, it resonated with me a lot.

That was a good read, thanks for the recommending it. I want to send it to some co-workers. I remember reading about Marc Laidlaw's (writer for the Half-Life series) departure from Valve, and one of the glassdoor reviews attributed it to him having nothing substantial to work on for almost five years. That'd be rough.

Flat corporate structure is great on paper, but it just doesn't seem to work in the end because human nature is what it is. Like I said, Valve can afford to tinker with ideas and not deliver a whole lot because they pretty much single-handedly saved mainstream PC gaming with Steam and its rewarded them with steady cashflow. People still love them because of insanely good video game sales. Chucklefish doesn't have that same pedigree at all. Stardew Valley is probably the best thing they've been involved with for a while, and in hindsight CA probably didn't need any help seeing what a massive hit the game was even with next to no marketing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Hm no mark laidlaw? Guess half life's never going to be finished.

Game and it's story has flaws but I liked how it's one of the few games where the aliens were all truly alien and even the friendly ones were ugly and weird, but made sense in the context of their original environment. There isn't really another game I know of where the other races are imaginative and not designed to be immediately accepted by human perspective

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 7, 2016

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

LordZoric posted:

That was a good read, thanks for the recommending it. I want to send it to some co-workers. I remember reading about Marc Laidlaw's (writer for the Half-Life series) departure from Valve, and one of the glassdoor reviews attributed it to him having nothing substantial to work on for almost five years. That'd be rough.

Flat corporate structure is great on paper, but it just doesn't seem to work in the end because human nature is what it is. Like I said, Valve can afford to tinker with ideas and not deliver a whole lot because they pretty much single-handedly saved mainstream PC gaming with Steam and its rewarded them with steady cashflow. People still love them because of insanely good video game sales. Chucklefish doesn't have that same pedigree at all. Stardew Valley is probably the best thing they've been involved with for a while, and in hindsight CA probably didn't need any help seeing what a massive hit the game was even with next to no marketing.

I was really surprised to hear it wasn't working with Valve because they'd pretty much been the poster boy for it, so if they can't make it work no one can. Without structure and checks in place people are going to form cliques and try to grab power and control and it just gets really depressing and ugly.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

as long as gabe newell sits at the top valve's corporate structure will always be flat

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Nice.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Nooiiiice.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I highly doubt gabe would continue to enforce such an ineffective system, especially after it has proven to be not very good.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Rrussom posted:

I highly doubt gabe would continue to enforce such an ineffective system, especially after it has proven to be not very good.

Half-Life 3 is going to overtake Duke Nukem Forever in the vaporware department

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rrussom posted:

Gaben can afford to give less than zero shits at this point.dude could probably fill a swimming pool with cash if he ever felt like it.

• Locked thread