Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Lol the QTEs are badass because they take place in epicly crafted cinematics where sarah and Noel are doing sick action moves and if you hit O correctly a HUGE NUMBER flies out of the enemy even though there is absolutely no context or anything for what that number represents

lol i forgot numbers pop out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

LR is pretty fun, yeah, though some stuff is really stupid -- like, why is crafting a new game + thing? that's retarded!

Not saying it isn't dumb, but crafting is a money hog and maybe they wanted to make sure people didn't have distractions from being able to buy every outfit or new weapon? All I've really got in terms of defending that decision. The first play through is also balanced around not assuming crafting, so nothing is really lost by its absence.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Final Fantasy loving Rules

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I heard a rumor that Lightning Returns was initially going to be a Valkyrie Profile game but Square Enix told Tri Ace to make it into Lightning Returns. I can sort of see why people think that but I don't really buy it.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Final Fantasy loving Rules

It's an extremely good series, as is Dragon Quest.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's weird that Lightning Returns is an FFXIII game because outside of sharing character models/names, the plot and mechanics have essentially nothing to do with XIII or XIII-2. They probably had this cool battle system and instead of trying to make it Final Fantasy XV with all the baggage and dev cost that would have taken, just reused all the XIII assets and called it the end of the final fantasy XIII trilogy.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I'm the person who likes QTEs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Silver Striker posted:

Downloading this game on my PS3 because I'm tired of waiting for the Steam release. Let's do this.

The PS3 version is kinda bad.

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

Kylra posted:

I'm the person who likes QTEs.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Blue Chocobo makes anything in 13-2 a breeze.

If you level it up and infuse it with all the spells and increase it's casting speed, you don't witness the final boss fight. You just see a flash of bright light and a bunch of noise and then you get the victory screen a minute later.

Blue Chocobo destroys anything.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

I said come in! posted:

The PS3 version is kinda bad.

it lags for me whenever u get a closeup of someones face cos of their hair or something but otherwise its fine

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Silver Striker posted:

I heard a rumor that Lightning Returns was initially going to be a Valkyrie Profile game but Square Enix told Tri Ace to make it into Lightning Returns. I can sort of see why people think that but I don't really buy it.

Yeah I heard Tri Ace mostly helped with the graphics. Then again, people are describing this game as good and also really stupid, which describes almost every Tri Ace game.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Complexcalibur posted:

Yeah I heard Tri Ace mostly helped with the graphics. Then again, people are describing this game as good and also really stupid, which describes almost every Tri Ace game.

The story and everything about the world is really stupid in a very fun way. I don't get why people get so worked up about it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silver Striker posted:

The story and everything about the world is really stupid in a very fun way. I don't get why people get so worked up about it.

If you played the other two games, you kind of want some sort of conclusion. If the game existed just by itself there probably would be less of an issue when it comes to the story. however you're taking already established characters.

Especialy since the Secret Ending to 13-2 was long and tedious to get and all you got was MUWAHAHA you played into my hands in some very convoluted way.

And in LR Caius Ballad had no plan and was just trapped in between life and death due to the demands of ten thousand little girls.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 7, 2015

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Saying "there's no conclusion" is more of a complaint against every game released in the past like 10 years where everyone has 5 planned sequels. It's just the world we live in.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silver Striker posted:

Saying "there's no conclusion" is more of a complaint against every game released in the past like 10 years where everyone has 5 planned sequels. It's just the world we live in.

Not really because in this case they built up to it, but never really delivered.

Having a sequel planned is no excuse to not have any pay-off. I mean geez look at Xenoblade's story. It's got a sequel planned and they wrapped poo poo up nicely.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Like, the whole reason he did that poo poo in 13-2 was ostensibly so Yuel could die,but then she can't ever die because of what he did so the gently caress was the point of that?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Like, the whole reason he did that poo poo in 13-2 was ostensibly so Yuel could die,but then she can't ever die because of what he did so the gently caress was the point of that?

They ran out of pretty boys and were afraid that Japanese moms would not buy game if it did not have the quota of pretty boys.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i do like that the culmination of caius's plotline is that lightning gets sick of his bullshit and decides to just gently caress off

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm debating if I should finish lightning returns since all I need to do is pass time until the 14th day or should I start Conker's bad Fur Day.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008

i do like that the culmination of caius's plotline is that lightning gets sick of his bullshit and decides to just gently caress off

That's what I did right before the end of FFXIII and never went back.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Crown Face posted:

That's what I did right before the end of FFXIII and never went back.

You're missing out on some good games because of your AIDS.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm debating if I should finish lightning returns since all I need to do is pass time until the 14th day or should I start Conker's bad Fur Day.

go to hotel and you can sleep through the entire day at once

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish Enix just stayed Enix. gently caress squaresoft.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
boo benix

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
u like? u like the catchphrase? u like it?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

boo benix

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I bought 13-2, but when I started it up it looks like Steam gave me Chrono Cross 2 instead. Anyone ever have this happen before?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kylra posted:

I bought 13-2, but when I started it up it looks like Steam gave me Chrono Cross 2 instead. Anyone ever have this happen before?

No it's a common issue. Just keep playing until it goes away.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Black Baby Goku posted:

I wish Enix just stayed Enix. gently caress squaresoft.

I'm torn. If we would still get Dragon Quest 8 and the DS remakes but not the hosed up trainwrecks that are 9 and 10 I'd be fine.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I.N.R.I posted:

I dont get it :(

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I.N.R.I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Jwm5jsoWU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

The last boss of 13-2 is one-shotting me on easy.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i forgot it had an easy mode

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kylra posted:

The last boss of 13-2 is one-shotting me on easy.

Infuse a Blue Chocobo with all the poo poo ever.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I haven't even seen a Blue Chocobo. Basically I only did all the main story stuff while getting all the boxes along the way. I used the first monsters up until the last area where I got a proto behemoth and switched to that. It is level 15 now.

E: Also I made it through the entire game on normal up to the last area.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kylra posted:

I haven't even seen a Blue Chocobo. Basically I only did all the main story stuff while getting all the boxes along the way. I used the first monsters up until the last area where I got a proto behemoth and switched to that. It is level 15 now.

E: Also I made it through the entire game on normal up to the last area.

Blue Chocobos appear in the lake area in the zone with the weather changing machine.

You could also go to The Tower zone and tame a Dragoon since they're really one of the best COMs in the game without needing to infuse anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I didn't feel like grinding just to defeat one form of one boss with one silly spike mechanic, so I just watched the ending on Youtube.

I don't really know why anything happened but it still made about 300% more sense than FF13-1. It was also basically what I wanted from a modern final fantasy game aside from some of the weird power jumps up and down and the monster collection being kind of annoying.

Is there any eta on a steam realease for Lightning Returns? My PS3 is currently disconnected and I'm feeling lazy.

• Locked thread