Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

wtftastic posted:

I honestly don't understand why rescue ladies and fur moms super into pits just can't be honest.

I think they're mostly trying to be honest, they're just kind of ignorant. I know a bunch of those types and they've all lucked out with pretty manageable, easygoing dogs for the most part, and the ones they come across that aren't like that always have some tragic story (BAIT DOGS!!!) that they spin to explain it. I mean, I know one who honestly believes there's no innate difference between her pit and my ACDs because she took a beginner herding class and her pit managed to chase some sheep around and not kill them. It's a bit astonishing to hear her talk because she's so sure she's an expert yet she's so wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
Seriously that's why even though I am a rescuelady momposter extraordinaire I totally get your frustration. I hate the "it's all in how you raise them" thing enough with herding breeds because people still buy into it and then create neurotic messes, and we don't even usually have the same aggression and social issues to deal with. I don't get why "certain breeds have been selectively bred for generations to act a certain way; when you get one, assume it will act that way" is a controversial stance.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
tbh I'd trust some pits around cats sooner than a terrier. I'm sure terriers with no prey drive somehow exist somewhere, but I've never seen one.

Seriously dude, get a drat older Lab mix or something. You want an easy lovebug type dog. Older Lab or pet shepherd mixes are very common and make excellent first dogs for families with young children. Years of shelter/adoption counseling experience talking here.

If you have your heart set on a more difficult breed, again, spend some time looking for an older, proven dog. I have an ACD/border collie mix who is literally the nicest dog ever and has never been destructive or aggressive and even when young could go for weeks on just mild exercise then go with me on a 14-mile day hike and be fine with all of it. These dogs exist! But they are basically unicorns because they are so rare! I have 2 other ACDs and have known many border collies and other ACDs and they're all loving nuts and need hours of exercise every day and an actual job. Your odds of finding a calm working breed dog increase if you're open to older pets who have proven temperaments. And feel-good bonus, older dogs are also less adoptable because people are dumb and look at adopting a dog in terms of returning on an investment, so you'll be helping out a good dog who deserves to have a loving home.

edit: I realize I'm careposting to someone who is probably trolling but IDK

Abutiu fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 23, 2015

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

my wife is being really aggravating with her dog sexism. She seems to think that if we get a boy dog he will lift his leg and piss on everything. Never mind the dog we just had pissed all over the house, but hers probably wasn't a territory marking thing. Do boy dogs do leg lifts inside to mark territory?

Two of my male dogs were neutered late and do mark outside, but we've never had trouble with them marking inside. The first few times I took them somewhere like Petsmart that's big and full of smells and not the kind of "inside" they were used to I had to watch really carefully and stop them before they lifted a leg, but they figured it out well enough. It can be a little aggravating on walks but even there it's easy to discourage. Mine love to mark but they only really do it if we're on a sniffy long-leash walk and I stop to let them really smell something interesting. Or at the dog park. They spend the first half hour we're there ignoring all the other dogs and running around peeing on everything.

And yeah, my other male was neutered young and he's never marked.

And just nthing the suggestion for an older dog. When I was 5 or 6 my family adopted an 8-year-old Lab that we had until I was 10. Best dog ever. I know some people worry that they won't have the dog long or think it's better for kids to grow up with puppies but that was not my experience. Us kids were able to take the dog on walks ourselves and play safely with him and leave our toys around without him chewing them up. It was sad when he died but I think we had a much better experience with him than we would have with a younger dog that would have needed more parental supervision at all times.

• Locked thread