Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I wouldn't say that, apparently the novels end 100% straight for both the girls so it would hardly be surprising if the series does too. Admittedly KyoAni also has a history of changing up poo poo in their LN adaptions and things seem a bit gayer in the series so far, especially with the ED for context, but it's not like there's no precedent. Would make all these hints otherwise kinda weird but it's not like anime doesn't have a long history of all kinda subtext going nowhere anyway.

At least either way there is brass band shenanigans to enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
AFAIK Kumiko does end up with Shuichi in the novels. It's seemingly not built up that much there either, but it's more understandable anyway because A: Shuichi has a bigger presence in the novels I believe, and B: a lot of the Kumiko/Reina interactions in the anime is original material apparently. Now, adding so much Kumiko/Reina stuff instead of building up to romance with Shuichi seems weird if they're just gonna re-tread the same romance. However, Hazuki having a thing for Shuichi is apparently still a thing in the novels though, so that subplot in and of itself doesn't indicate that the anime staff is planning to pair him off with her. And Kumiko/Reina still have lots of subtext/tension in the novels too, despite each getting paired with someone else (As a side-note, Reina gets paired with the teacher which, eeeeeewww. I'd hope they change things up just for that).

E: Sorry, I didn't really think about random romance stuff as spoilers I guess.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 20, 2015

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Was a very nice episode indeed. Cheered for side-couple. Was almost expecting a kiss at the end, was slightly let down, but the previous scenes were very good so it'd be dumb to hold that against it. Sapphire sister was very cute.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Fangz posted:

Small things I liked:

Reina is so intense she downloaded a flashlight app for her phone for this night, but she didn't consider reasonable shoes

Well she was dressed up, and it's not like most women wear heels out of ignorance of sneakers or sandals. Sometimes you gotta suffer to look good on your date.

Even if it involves a lot of walking.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I never finished Tamako or watched the movie but Tamako was so childish any romance with her would be an uncomfortable prospect tbh.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I was going to say that Euphonium was the first original KyoAni story that they seem to have gotten right, but nope it's based on a novel/manga/whatever. Regardless I like this show and don't think it really matters who if any the main character ends up with.

I disagree, as Shuuichi's interactions with Kumiko makes for the most boring run-of-the-mill LI for every generic manga/anime romance story created, while Reina's are Cool and Good. That's my opinion.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

http://a.pomf.se/ntbmqs.webm

Seriously. There's something about Shuichi that just irritates the poo poo out of the audience. There is something about the way he is framed by the camera. He never starts off as the focus of the shots, and instead always slides into frame from off-screen, so it always feels like he's intruding on the Kumiko's and the audience's train of thought.

Personality wise, he has none. We have absolutely no idea what's going through his head, we only know him through Kumiko, and from that she can barely put up with the guy.

Kyoani is capable of making really hot guys. Oreki was hot, the Frees were hot, and here Gotou and Taki are hot. With Shuichi, Kyoani pulled out all the stops to make him the antithesis of hot.

And instead, Kousaka sets Kumiko's and the audience's hearts a-flutter.

Hell if you compare it to the closest KyoAni analogue, Mochizou blows Shuichi out of the water personality-wise, and just plain in how entertaining he is on the screen interacting with the rest of the cast. And he's also present from the start rather than being mostly irrelevant until halfway through the series.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Fangz posted:

Either way Shuichi will be a perfectly competent investment banker.

He's growing up in Japan, they don't exactly have the greatest job-situation for young white-collar workers these days.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Shukaro posted:

Euphoniums aren't even heavy

Are you a small anim girl though?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
What's the point of watching anime if you're not gonna care, imo.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

aers posted:

https://twitter.com/eupho_not_lily/with_replies

This person is very mad about KyoAni's plot changes.

Now I want Kumiko and Kousaka to hold hands even more.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Fangz posted:

Still hoping. Still diminishing and attacking the royals.

Time for the proletariat to rise up, imo.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
agreed

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

PotU posted:

anime boys pls die......

Anim boys x anim boys imo.
The actual good stories like Ore Monogatari and Bonnouji can stay too.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Mikl posted:

"Buy the BDs to see the episode where Reina gets over her sensei-crush, realises she loves Kumiko, and confesses to her."

-kyoani

There is precedence, this will happen 100% for sure definitely.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

it proves shuichi is a chump and kumiko should have nothing to do with him

At least he didn't blindly try to follow Kumiko's choice to please her I guess?

Naaah I got nothing, a shameful vote.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Now that's the good conspiracy poo poo

Ill believe the yuri conspiracy

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Endorph posted:

*breaks into kyoani hq with a ak47*

THE SUPREME COURT HAS ORDERED THIS ANIME TO HAVE HOMOS. USA! USA! USA!

*furiously storyboards Shuuichi x Taki-sensei replacement ending*

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Fangz posted:

Aaaaah time to stress out about lesbians again

Im zen about lesbians now

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
There was an interview with the series director where she very frankly rebuffed the idea that there's anything romantic between Kumiko and Reina here

Interview posted:

Oguro: After episode 8 huh? It’s not yuri, but they’re tied together with a red string so…
Yamada: So they’re tied. (laughs)
Oguro: When you drew them, you felt they’d understand as the story progressed.
Yamada: Of course. Since it’s something you don’t see in the first half, it might appear to be something suggestive in the ending with no real meaning.
Oguro: Did you possibly think that it could be seen as yuri and playing to the viewers with no relationship to the main story?
Yamada: I thought it might, but I felt “Well, that’s okay. They’ll understand later.” (laughs)

They won't kiss

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

agreed

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

F*cked up if true

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Its okay, episode 8 was more romantic than any actual animated romance in forever even though apparently it wasn't supposed to be at all, so if they actually tried to do romance it'd probably end up as generic stuttery blushing anyway. Once you convince yourself of this there will be no more sadness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Those poor upstanding Cross Ange characters don't deserve being associated with homosexuality.

• Locked thread