Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I eagerly await the next episode of Brass Instruments And The Lesbians Who Own Them.

Seriously, linking the two leads with the red string of fate in the ED? That's not as unsubtle as Free's BDSM underwater dance party, but it's pretty unsubtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Lesbians are good.

Indeed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Asuka is basically the best.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I am loving the generally grounded feel this has going on. As has been said, the conflict between laid back fun and high effort competition is very compelling. Braids-senpai (Aoi? I think that's right) lamenting her fleeting youth at seventeen years of age is pretty dumb, though.

Shut up-senpai is the best. She was fun in the first episode, but her energy in the second was fantastic.

Remember that this is Japan. If you're not married at twenty-five, you're done as a woman. Youth can and does end hard and fast over there, which is why there's so much fetishisation of the glory days of high school.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

where are you getting your numbers from? worldbank shows only 61% of japanese go to post-secondary with 90 female to 100 male ratio. that's 55% of women bro, if I'm reading that right

Ah, I get it. My bad.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 15, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, that was some spectacular cinematography. Shows adapted from novels are often good, but this series's strengths aren't just from the source material.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Good episode.

I honestly can't imagine a high school band of any size - or really any group of, say, 20+ teenagers - functioning without proper direction. That teacher is way too laissez-faire. "You're bad. Fix that within a week. Bye!" I guess it's the difference between a club and a class. Why are these lazy kids in band if they aren't getting a grade/PE credit for it, anyway?

I think it was intended as a reality check. They said they wanted to aim for nationals, and he drove home just how huge an attitude change this would require and then went 'still interested?'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Continues to be a seriously quality show. Getting significant Shirobako vibes here, even if it's a little lighter tonally.

Also, Kumiko's crush is blatant and adorable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

There's no way they're gonna but I still hope so too.

I mean, poo poo, it got really obvious this episode. Shame Reina seems more interested in the teacher.

Actually, yeah, I want to go back to this, because it's another case of the direction and cinematography being spectacular. The way they've visually articulated a teenager's first major crush (from the teenager's perspective) is pretty much perfect.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 6, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Plus, Kumiko's a little on the shallow side, so this feels like the sort of thing she'd stress out over.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

This show is easily the best thing Kyo-Ani has done in years. And Asuka is the best character.

That guy at the end was trombone dude, right? He hasn't been in it enough for me to take any notice so far.

I thought it was Kumiko's old friend? Does he play the trombone? I'm still matching people to instruments.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

Music is all just imaginary too. You can't touch a sound.

Try saying that next time a police LRAD is making you throw up all over the pavement.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Actually, serious :goonsay: answer - you can touch a sound, because sounds are air vibrations. Stand next to a big, meaty speaker doing its thing, and you can absolutely feel it rumbling through you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

on yet the other hand anime is real

i have successfully materialised my asuka tulpa

Well, yeah, I don't think anyone's disputing that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

arisu posted:

I liked this episode a lot. I enjoy shows that have focus episodes on people outside the main characters. Though in this show's case, they can certainly use more focus on one "main character" in particular, since she hasn't really done much of anything yet.

I assume that's coming - I suspect the A-plot for the last few episodes will have a lot to do with Reina and Kumiko helping get each other past their really, really obvious issues (Reina's faintly unhealthy drive for success and Kumiko's thing with her sister).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

coathat posted:

It would be better if any of it mattered, but nothing changed at all.

It did, though, because it meant both we and the cast learned more about the band's politics, and the president became more secure in (and accepted in) her position after her slowly-building crisis of faith reached a head, and we've set up the implications of the impending conflict over the trumpet section, which is likely to mean bad things for Reina.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I'm on the side that this was a good episode. It added a lot to some of the other main characters, like the prez and Asuka, and improved on some of the social dynamics of the band as a whole. I even like the romance setup. It doesn't feel all that forced, because honestly what's a show about a bunch of high school students doing regular things if there's no romance?

If they're actually going for Shuichi/Hazuki, then yeah, it should be fine. It's just that he and Kumiko have, like, zero romantic chemistry, so it'd suck if it was used to bring them into a relationship.

It's kind of weird that the books apparently keep everything heterosexual, because the show is presently leaning heavily towards Kumiko/Reina and Shuichi/Hazuki. I mean, forget the ED, that little conversation in Episode 6 where Kumiko tries to 'pay back' Reina's Vogue shot alone...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

AFAIK Kumiko does end up with Shuichi in the novels. It's seemingly not built up that much there either, but it's more understandable anyway because A: Shuichi has a bigger presence in the novels I believe, and B: a lot of the Kumiko/Reina interactions in the anime is original material apparently. Now, adding so much Kumiko/Reina stuff instead of building up to romance with Shuichi seems weird if they're just gonna re-tread the same romance. However, Hazuki having a thing for Shuichi is apparently still a thing in the novels though, so that subplot in and of itself doesn't indicate that the anime staff is planning to pair him off with her. And Kumiko/Reina still have lots of subtext/tension in the novels too, despite each getting paired with someone else (As a side-note, Reina gets paired with the teacher which, eeeeeewww. I'd hope they change things up just for that).

E: Sorry, I didn't really think about random romance stuff as spoilers I guess.

Well, gently caress canon, then, I guess we know what the superior option here is. C'mon, KyoAni. Be bold. Do eeet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

arisu posted:

After this episode I will rage if this show isn't yuri ending.

... but I expect it won't be. This episode felt kind of 'OK, fanboys, here's what you wanted, now let's pull back and do a proper heterosexual romance because Class S isn't dead no matter how much people might hope otherwise'. I mean, I'd love to be wrong, but...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

http://a.pomf.se/ntbmqs.webm

Seriously. There's something about Shuichi that just irritates the poo poo out of the audience. There is something about the way he is framed by the camera. He never starts off as the focus of the shots, and instead always slides into frame from off-screen, so it always feels like he's intruding on the Kumiko's and the audience's train of thought.

Personality wise, he has none. We have absolutely no idea what's going through his head, we only know him through Kumiko, and from that she can barely put up with the guy.

Kyoani is capable of making really hot guys. Oreki was hot, the Frees were hot, and here Gotou and Taki are hot. With Shuichi, Kyoani pulled out all the stops to make him the antithesis of hot.

And instead, Kousaka sets Kumiko's and the audience's hearts a-flutter.

Gotou is hot? I mean, yeah, everyone in a KyoAni production is drawn cute (including, yes, Shuichi), but I don't recall the cinematography drawing much attention to it in Gotou's case.

Phobophilia posted:

Some people can't stand anything but heterosexual relationships in the media they consume, often because they are small minded bigots who can't bear to see a character give affection to someone who isn't their self-insert. Other people can't stand anything but homosexual relationships in the media they consume, often because they are fetishists who can't bear to see the a character taint their purity with someone of the same gender as the audience. Both attitudes are wrong. Never watch with pre-conceptions, for they will only harm your understanding.

We still agree Reina is the superior alternative though, right?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

I watch anime and feel nothing.

Even Ping Pong?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

That post was a lie, my heart is full of moe and burning spirit.

You should probably see a doctor about that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Doesn't that summarise most of Ikuhara's shows?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I was very confused by this at first.

As for Reina getting the solo, I'm pretty sure she's going :unsmigghh: on the inside. She wouldn't give a gently caress if everyone else started hating her.

She says that, but teenagers can be really vicious, and all signs indicate she's got a world of hurt headed her way. After Reina's spent much of the series inspiring Kumiko, I suspect this is where the latter now has to lend her crush friend some help and support.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I've gotta say, though, if they don't pair up Kumiko and Reina, then the most explicitly gay character in the series (the trumpet girl with the bow) being an obnoxious 'psycho lesbian' stereotype would be mildly awkward.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

Well, Kaori and Haruka seem much closer.

Yeah, but they just seem like good friends, nothing obviously romantic. Bow-girl has an obvious and explicit crush on Kaori - see also, when she got pissed at being shot down after asking her out on a festival date.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This derail does not have my seal of approval.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

afatwhiteloaf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjzDyI3QQ9s

what a boring episode even without that.

Not really. It was a solid, angry episode about band politics with the show's usual deft character work. Actually, it was one of the show's more intense eps.

The bait and switch definitely sucked, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The main couple in Steins;Gate are pretty clearly together by the end (especially if you count the OVA, and you should count the OVA for everything, because holy poo poo that customs scene), and it would be hard to call their romance the A-plot even if it is important.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

But yes, bow girl should be blamed for everything, most importantly, for sucking at trumpet.

I thought she was cranky because she wasn't getting a chance to do that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy poo poo, KyoAni, now you're just being evil.

Hell of an episode, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, that ep was hella tense. How do you make an audition for the lead solo part in a high-school band feel like a fuckin' Kaiji episode?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

apparently, and this is according to tumblr so take it with a grain of salt, kumiko used to word 'ai' (confirmed i heard it) which means real love instead of the often used suki which is often used and way less serious. i don't know how real this difference actually is though

She was echoing what Reina said to her during their Episode 8 date.

There was one thing that was a really big deal about Kumiko's behaviour this episode, though. For pretty much the whole series she's been one of life's followers, getting dragged into stuff she doesn't necessarily have a great deal of enthusiasm for and carefully avoiding taking sides. Here, however, she was willing to stand by Reina even if it meant pissing off the entire band. That's pretty huge.

One other thing - was it just me, or was Taki not doing a blind audition something of a betrayal? It turned the whole thing into much more of a popularity contest, and if it hadn't been for Kumiko's crush, Hazuki knowing when to fly wing, and Kaori being a graceful loser, Reina wouldn't have got the place she deserved. You could really see the audience admitting to themselves that Reina was the better player, but hesitating to vote because it'd paint targets on their backs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

i feel like he was pretty confident that kaori would acquiesce after reina was blatantly better right next to her, and doing things this way basically put the entire issue to rest

Probably, but if Reina hadn't got those votes (and, as mentioned, doing that was highly uncharacteristic of Kumiko) then giving her the solo would have been a much tougher sell. It would have felt like teacher fiat all over again, even if Kaori acquiesced to it, and would have put Reina in a really bad spot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

it proves shuichi is a chump and kumiko should have nothing to do with him

It is kind of hilarious how they're torpedoing what's apparently the official heterosexual romance in this story. Kumiko just stops by the riverbank, sees Shuichi there primed and ready for a Big Important Character Moment, and just keeps walking while noting to herself that she needs to practice more.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ElectricHeir posted:

"Ai" (愛) is kind of the general word for love while "koi" (恋) is specifically used for romantic love.

As I recall, it's more that ai is loving, while koi is being loved. That's not perfect, since they're both nouns rather than verbs, but it's close enough.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Wait, are there more books?

It's a trilogy. They do seem to be changing a couple of things, though (by this point in the thread, I think we all know what), so I'm not sure how graceful a novel-canon continuation would be.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
OK, looks like that wasn't the finale - guess we have one more TV ep to go.

Anyway, notes on this week - less gay than last Tuesday (though still fairly gay), Reina's a big softy, Shuichi's still failing hilariously at the whole 'potential love interest' thing, and the last few minutes contain the biggest, most dramatic twist of the series. Euph-kun!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

This is nutty of me but I really think an yuri end is gonna happen.

Why?

That's right. This show is happening in real time. The two stars I labelled are Venus and Jupiter.

There's a better shot here:

You might remember them from a certain episode...

What is the significance of Venus and Jupiter?

http://www.astrologyonline.eu/Learn_Astrology/Article_detail.asp?ID=97

On the eve of June 30th, when the final episode of Euphonium airs, Jupiter and Venus will be at their closest conjunction until August next year. The two brightest stars in the sky will be seen to 'collide'.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/06/23/track-jupiter-venus-nightly-as-they-appear-to-collide-in-vivid-planetary-conjunction-july-1/
http://www.iflscience.com/space/best-planet-duo-2015-venus-and-jupiter

:tinfoil:

Heterosexuality can't melt steel beams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I know not what the second KyoAni war will be fought with but the third will be fought with fanfics and doujins.

I'm pretty sure that's what the last two were fought with.

• Locked thread