Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

the genre of homosexuals. only shows in that genre should have gay characters

It's hard to decipher their mangled english, but yeah, this is pretty much what people on mal are saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

BAIT
go to h*ck kyoani

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, KyoAni has a lot of advantages over other studios when it comes to their production process. Most of their animators are full employees rather than freelancers cycling in and out by project, and they have an associated animator's school, for instance. With the way most of the industry is organized, just throwing more money at a project wouldn't do much to help things.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 26, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Following up on the budget thing, when shows do suddenly have "more budget" thrown at them, it's usually on the worst episodes of a strained production, piling on more staff in a desperate effort to keep things rolling out on time.

Though it should be remembered that this is all relative. Even at KyoAni it's pretty rough work in a niche industry, and the fact that their organization isn't standard is proof of how tight things are rather than malice on the part of other studios. I doubt any of them enjoy the way things are currently set up since profits on the actual shows aren't made by the studio, rather going to the members of the production committee, a group they often aren't part of. This means what the studio makes on a given project often has little to do with the success of the show, to the point that production delays can lead to a studio losing money on a hit.

Sakuga nerd Canipa posted:

Now your main concern here is that you can't believe studios don't see a large amount of the revenue on a show. This is all dependent on their place on the production committee. In rare cases, the studio will be at the top of the committee, but in most cases, they won't be involved at all.

A good, but depressing example is Girls und Panzer. Sold incredibly well, better than One Punch Man. However, Studio Actas lost money producing it. They didn't see any of the money that the show earned and lost money due to production issues. This is standard.

Studios are contractors. They are paid to create an anime. The large percentage of revenue will presumably go to Bandai.

e:
So ultimately KyoAni shows look better due to differences in production practices rather than budget, but that organization is enabled by the time and money invested in constructing it, as well as successfully moving to become more autonomous over time.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 26, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Axel Serenity posted:

I just hope it doesn't mean they'll flop on the landing pad with something out of left field. I've never watched another Kyoani show, but the more I read about them, I may have to set up for disappointment.

Not sure what you're talking about here.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Axel Serenity posted:

Like I said, I've never watched a Kyoani show, but I guess they're really bad about gay baiting or something? I like Sound! quite a bit and will probably check out their other stuff, but apparently the relationship with fans is very love/hate? I dunno. I'm just going off what other people are saying since I have no experience watching them at all.

Not really, I don't think? The only major issue they've had in recent years was adapting a number of mediocre LNs from their personal publication house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Not sure how much interest there is, but yen press will be releasing the first Eupho novel on June 20th.

• Locked thread