Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....
It amuses me how someone could make a thread for a show and not include any details of the plot or about the characters. Guess we know what people will focus incessantly on this time. (And i thought the guy going through frames to nitpick about Free! despite not reading anything from the director saying why things were changes was bad)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

AnacondaHL posted:

The character list got updated too, and is now more of a mapping:
http://anime-eupho.com/character/chart/

They are now listed in the instrument section! But...

...no character listed yet!

This show has characters?! I thought it featured instruments!

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....
Said novel spoilers have to actually be from someone who've read the entire novel and not just idiotically jumping to the epilogue of novel 3 and thinking they know what happens. There's very few people who have actually read them and they're not talking about anything relating to the relationship. There's more idiocy than spoilers out about this series. It's humorous to see the English fans jumping around.

<- Person who's read novels 1-2 and starting v3 (but read spoilers from Japanese fans).

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Sakurazuka posted:

Also if some of the book spoilers I've read are true I'm drat glad they changed it because ugh.

I'm guessing you, like most of the 99.999999999999999999999% of people commenting about the novels in English, haven't read it. Since I can't actively talk about the novels, but people who haven't feel free to spoil them, all I can say is that you're incredibly wrong because most of the talk centered around them is about poo poo that isn't really relevant in them. The past four days have shown how toxic the Western anime fandom is, including people here.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Fangz posted:

That's, uh, really vague.

EDIT: I mean, wading into a discussion with 'SOME OF YOU ARE WRONG' is kinda unhelpful.

It's really vague because "eww, something I read about the novels is disgusting" is also, uh, really vague.

Here's my best guess as to what is "disgusting" (hint, it's actually common, even here in the West).

People are upset because Reina has a crush on Taki in the novels. Does he reciprocate? No. He had a wife that died 5 years ago who went to North Uji when she was in high school when they went to Nationals years ago due to Taki's father's teachings. The school didn't win gold during her time, so she wanted them to win gold at Nationals at least once. This inspired Taki, once he finally got the chance (the previous mentor is on leave due to having a baby), to go to North Uji and lead them to Nationals.

Wow, that sounds so disgusting it deserves a reaction like "Also if some of the book spoilers I've read are true I'm drat glad they changed it because ugh."

Also, everyone on the internet is so upset because "Kumiko confesses to Shuichi." Nope. In the very last short in the 4th volume, a collection of shorts, Shuichi confesses to her on pg 266, which is a short from his POV. Kumiko leans in and suddenly acknowledges that she likes him too on pg 268, the one page image that's going around. Given literally everything else in all three novels prior where we're given Kumiko's POV, there's nothing that hints that she has any feelings for him more than friendship outside one vague line in the epilogue for novel 3 that can be explained by a misunderstanding (Asuka walked in before Shuichi could confess in v3 when he gave her a hair decoration she wore in the epilogue). Given the back cover text, it's likely Takeda was pushed to write that as an editiorial decision more than her own desire.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I haven't read the books but I predict she meets a nice guy who is also named a color.

Sapphire is there to geek out about music and concert/marching bands. Nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, there's a blogger on twitter who's read it and swears up and down that it's better (and gayer, apparently) than Eupho.

I mean, when one of the major conflicts is resolved by a girl straddling our protagonist while they talk and help Azusa get over her issues, you really can't say that's not pushing the boundaries.

That's the obvious example, but there's easily three main ships you could pair Azusa with and have justification for all of them. Even the illustrator for the novel covers paired her with someone on her twitter account.

https://twitter.com/asadako/status/764431623244779520

(yes, that's where I got that image from; it's semi-official!)

And yes, it is better as a story than Eupho. Eupho was only meant to be the first novel, but Takeda was pressured into writing sequels for it to be sold alongside the first anime season, and she wasn't used to writing sequels at all. Novel 2 works as a novel, but it's not gripping material to be adapted, despite nearly all the staff involved loving the story. Novel 3 is better, though some bits come in randomly (Reina's accusation in the last episode for example and something that may happen next episode). Conversely, she planned Rikka's story well in advance and the novels are a good single story, despite being focused around two different themes. Azusa works better as an active protagonist than Kumiko and you grow much more attached to her for that reason. It's why I preferred the anime over the novels.

• Locked thread