Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
This is of course totally and utterly unfounded speculation on my part, but when I try to imagine what would push Casas to do this the way he apparently has (i.e. leaving in a way CMLL likely won't forgive), the scenario that is most interesting to me is that AAA and Santo have secretly made peace. Thus Casas wants one last big payday for a haircut, and knows that can never happen at arena mexico.

It's extremely unlikely but I gotta post it anyway, in the off chance it actually happens I can come back and pretend I was a genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Another defection to AAA
https://twitter.com/luchalibreaaa/status/1618329979758186496

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gatoh Move opening the real Forbidden door: Mei wrestling for CMLL, Emi for AAA

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
how do you get into lucha nowadays? Do CMLL and AAA have streaming services? Does their Youtube have lots of match content? I peeped a recent CMLL show where Rocky Romero and Volador Jr. main-evented and I liked it enough

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Lily Catts posted:

how do you get into lucha nowadays? Do CMLL and AAA have streaming services? Does their Youtube have lots of match content? I peeped a recent CMLL show where Rocky Romero and Volador Jr. main-evented and I liked it enough

Both companies put almost everything up on YouTube a week or two after the live event. Outside of that, major AAA shows are on Fite and CMLL has live shows you can get through Mexican Ticketmaster.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Is there a Mr. Iguana dedicated channel somewhere. Everytime I've watched Triplemania or whatever and he was on, he'd always be my favorite

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lily Catts posted:

CMLL puts the Friday show on youtube 3 weeks after it airs. It airs live on the Ticketmaster PPV service but there was some gently caress up last week so they did it on youtube. They stream the Tuesday shows live ever week on youtube. The Friday shows are the big show of the week while Tuesday is secondary.

They sadly no longer stream the Monday Puebla shows :(

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

They sadly no longer stream the Monday Puebla shows :(

I miss Police Man

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pinche Rudo posted:

I miss Police Man

Especially now that there is a Police Man Jr. It's so hard to find matches though :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQLqblJ9wpE

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Lily Catts posted:

Follow @luchablog if you're not already.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight's card. I will be out but the Air Tournament should be great it was always a highlight pre-pandemic.

https://twitter.com/mas_lucha/status/1619032497592958977

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Also if you’re a real pervert, Mas Lucha YouTube covers a lot of Mexican indies including IWRG and Bandido’s company.

IWTV also has a limited but impactful Lucha selection with zona23(death matches in a junkyard), Guanatos Hardcore Crew(Lucha extrema) and GALLI lucha(Chicago style lucha)

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

coconono posted:

GALLI lucha(Chicago style lucha)

deep dish

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

coconono posted:

IWTV also has a limited but impactful Lucha selection with zona23(death matches in a junkyard))

Zona23 is a real experience, like a simultaneously more and less trashy big japan but always in a junkyard

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Zona23 gave us Sadika. And I think Gringo Loco did some stuff there.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jack Evans! A mini in a sackcloth! A guitar solo and erotic dance intro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUg2sdop7hE

coconono fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 11, 2023

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

coconono posted:

Jack Evans! A midget in sackcloth! A guitar solo and erotic dance intro!

They're called Mini Estrellas unless they are exceptionally small, then they are Micros.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

fair enough, its still a good rear end match. lots of mayhem and big spots.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
Cuatero has been arrested for beating his partner Stephanie Vaquer.

https://twitter.com/siete_letras/status/1634573691370500096?s=20

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1634592009565401091

Bare minimum AAA should strip his trios championship

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I really enjoy Cancion del Mariachi as Komander's theme, does he use it in Mexico as well? Saw he used something completely different in AEW

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Looks like the AAA World Cup had only one highlight.

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1637654005835808776

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

maybe it was because i haven't watched any cmll in a while but the main (Euforia, Hechicero, Soberano Jr. vs Bárbaro Cavernario, Gran Guerrero, Titán) from tonights show was real fun.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
AAA Mega Championship match at TripleMania Monterrey will be EHdV defending against Swerve Strickland, Rich Swann, and Komander.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
CMLL is back in ways I never thought possible even the last time I said they were back in ways I never thought possible.

https://twitter.com/CMLL_OFICIAL/status/1646898445330837504

Wish I could go tonight and donate some unused keys.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

the Arena Mexico Key Party

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
dire looking triplemania card tonight https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2..._medium=twitter

this bit on chessman i am quoting in full though because holy poo poo how did i not hear about this

quote:

AAA ran a show with the NWA at Billy Corgan’s The World is a Vampire music festival in Mexico City. That brought in many people who don’t attend lucha libre shows, including TV host/podcast/influencer Adrian Marcelo. He recorded video in and around the wrestling show and intended to talk to Mr. Iguana near the dressing area between matches. Marcelo crossed paths with Chessman; instead, they had words, and Chessman slapped Marcelo in the face very hard. Marcelo grabbed a beer, threw it at Chessman, and the two had to be separated. Marcelo took to social media to demand AAA take action on Chessman, or he’d sue. AAA announced a two-week suspension, which Marcelo complained wasn’t enough. He demanded a full apology. Chessman traveled to Monterrey, went on TV, and gave some half-hearted under duress apologies. Marcelo wasn’t content, confronted Chessman at a press conference, and slapped him back. AAA agreed to book a wrestling match to settle it, as long as everyone in Monterrey was OK with it.

This Marcelo/Chessman slap was an angle from the start and a well-done one. (It’s the John Stossel slap to a Logan Paul figure, with some of the LT/Bigelow issue thrown in.) The initial video of Chessman’s slap went viral in Mexico, with people trying to figure out whether it was real. Marcelo is also a well-known but not universally beloved figure; there were people plenty happy just to see him get slapped very hard. The rest of the angle played out for a while when people – not just AAA fans, but people in Mexico who wouldn’t pay attention to lucha libre normally – still doubted if this was a wrestling thing or a celebrity scandal. Most figured there’d be a match at the end, even if it were real, but there was intrigue in the story.

One viral video raised the angle. Another started the decline. Chessman’s trip to Monterrey wasn’t just to apologize. It was also to train with Adrian Marcelo secretly. The secret got out; a Tik Tok user posted a video looking into the gym and showing Marcelo & Chessman working in the ring. That video getting out didn’t kill the angle, but it made it clear it was an angle after all. Chessman tried to explain it away as another wrestler (Toscano) invited Chessman to his gym without telling him Marcelo would be there, in a failed attempt to repair the situation. Marcelo slapped Chessman at that press conference to give the media something else to discuss. The video took the edge off, but there was still interest in seeing the eventual match.

One small problem: Monterrey has the strictest lucha libre commission in Mexico. Perhaps the world. Monterrey put new people in charge of their lucha libre commission about eighteen months ago, people who insisted on cleaning it up so much that they’ve also washed away the local lucha libre. The commission wants every local wrestler to take a three-hour proficiency exam before they’re allowed to wrestle in the Monterrey. These sorts of tests are common in Mexico for people getting licensed for the first time, the idea of retesting veterans is abnormal, and the veterans have decided to work elsewhere rather than go through the tests. AAA and Adrian Marcelo found themselves in the middle of this. Another time or another place, the commission would just quietly ignore Marcelo’s match. TripleManis is too high profile, and it’d kill the commission’s credibility if Marcelo got a free pass, so he had to go through the process. Marcelo would have to pass the three-hour exam if he wanted to wrestle.

AAA still thought they were fine. Their local partners claimed to be friendly enough with the commission to get them to let Adrian Marcelo glide through the test. That was the first strike; AAA underestimated how much the commission would want to prove wrestling (and their tests) was serious. Strike two was informing the press about the wrestling licensing test. Marcelo taking this test meant views, cameras showed up to film it, and the commission no longer couldn’t go easy on Marcelo – everyone would’ve seen it. AAA also apparently got Marcelo ready for a match but not physically or mentally for a three-hour exam. It was a surprise when Marcelo quit the test an hour in, but maybe strike three should’ve been foreseen. Marcelo failed the test for real; the story was suddenly out of AAA’s hands.

Adrian Marcelo went on his TV show and pleaded with the commission to let him wrestle anyway. That didn’t seem likely at the time. Marcelo interfering to keep the feud going seemed more likely. Maybe even that’s not happening. Soon after his test failure, a woman came forward on social media to accuse Marcelo of sexual assault. She provided evidence she and Marcelo knew each other, and there’s now an investigation into her claims. Marcelo vaguely referenced the accusations on Twitter, then toned down his usual active social media presence.

I don’t think Adrian Marcelo is appearing at TripleMania now. AAA’s sent out word to Dave Meltzer that they won’t use Marcelo while the legal situation is ongoing. Marcelo’s side says it was his choice to be off the show. Whoever made the call, neither side is publicizing that Marcelo is off the show. Chessman’s opponent is unnamed, and Marcelo’s silhouette is a ghostly presence on the official poster. Seeing this story as something played off as genuine but ended up as wrestling, the average fan now believes everything is part of a story, and Marcelo will be a surprise. Neither AAA nor Marcelo may have the credibility to say it won’t happen at this point. Marcelo was the big novelty to push tickets on top of TripleMania this year, so it’s not really in AAA’s interest to clarify he won’t be there, but I wonder how those fans will react if he genuinely doesn’t appear.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Yeah, it’s pretty crazy that they legit can’t put the match on for legal reasons.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The Triplemania show was pretty good from what I saw. Did anyone else catch it?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

TTBF posted:

The Triplemania show was pretty good from what I saw. Did anyone else catch it?

Fun 4 way for the main event. But for me with all the crazy Lucha multimans over WrestleMania weekend it kind of blended into that. And a good LA park match but the next triplemania has a more exciting one. Worth watching

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The new CMLL sponsor looks insane

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Didn't realise the sun needed branding

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/lucharobot/status/1651730113514569728

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Luigi Broos and Mario Bross

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its the mushroom that makes it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1657968014157926400

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1657970623237292035

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/RobViper/status/1662354802058076160

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Woah. Does the CMLL production beat AAA's? I watched Triplemania a while ago and they were constantly cutting to long shots to include the ads on the main screen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Generico posted:

Woah. Does the CMLL production beat AAA's? I watched Triplemania a while ago and they were constantly cutting to long shots to include the ads on the main screen.

CMLL overuses that overhead shot but the shows have looked really nice for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Big Lucha stream. The lovely audio fixes itself after about 6 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cPUbYRM958

SBK & Takuma in the opener, booked the day after their Dragongate contracts were terminated over a misconduct issue. They're exclusively in Mexico right now but not signed by anyone else yet - keep an eye out for them because they're both great.