Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

EightFlyingCars posted:

Bayo2 is missing a lot of the texture that made the first game so fun. It was a game about a bondage hair witch that fights angels by stripping, and I think Platinum understood that this was the kind of concept they had to go all out with. So the whole game had this goofy, burlesque feel that reached into everything about it, from the music to the UI to the stylized dialogue, and not only was all of this stuff super fun, but it was also self-consistent. Within all this context, Bayonetta, as a character, made sense.

But a lot of people were like "it's too weird!" and "it's too Japanese!" and maybe Platinum blinked because Bayo2 is a lot more generic. So it's a little more pedestrian than before, which is a little more boring, but its biggest problem is that Bayonetta's character doesn't fit nearly as well in Bayo2 as a result. She almost feels vestigial, like the cutscene directors sometimes said, "oh yeah, this is a Bayonetta game, quick, swoop the camera between her legs" and just called it a day. It's not that they shied away from the series' sexuality, they were just less honest about it.

I know a lot of people (okay, tumblr) who were happy that this game wasn't as sexual as the first. I really felt that it was an intrinsic part of her character which is why this game feels so anaemic, almost like it was masquerading as a Bayonetta game rather than being a true sequel. Of course, there's no reason why Bayonetta couldn't be sexually confident and not have swooping camera angles over her nether regions, but the first game was memorable for being ridiculously over the top to begin with. Removing that aspect of the game/her character was really a misstep in terms of in-game consistency. You can really tell in when Kamiya wasn't running the show because barring the Prologue and the Alraune fight her sexual side just disappears for most of the game. I just wonder why people have such problems with it to begin with, it really seems to me that people are uncomfortable with a sexually confident woman who really owns the attitude.

Nyeehg posted:

Yeah it mainly helps you learn dodge offset since if you're doing it right your guns will keep firing after the attack/weapons will charge without breaking your combo. On a more basic level, it can be easy for me newcomers to develop a habit of sticking to the default weapons in these games as learning a new set of combo strings is often daunting for a beginner. However, if you try to beat these alph/muspelheims with Scarborough Fair/Love Is Blue, their relative weakness makes it much more challenging, prompting you to try using some of the other weapons.

Also re-enforces the importance of using wicked weaves as they're some of the strongest attacks (though the removal of score reduction penalty makes 'em less relevant).

At least that's what I got from them.

Yeah, I got the same impression from the 'Limited Punches/Kicks' alfheims. The idea of extending your punch/kick is the first step to understanding Dodge Offset, and 'Use WW' really ties into it as well. Pretty certain all of the Limited P/K alfheims are doable with Scarborough Fair though, branching out into other weapons just makes it easier. Comparatively the muspelheim do a worse job at teaching you DO, because most of them can be brute forced by just mashing the same combo. Removing Score Reduction Penalty encourages this behaviour as well. Admittedly the enemies randomly blocking your attacks does encourage DO a bit, but I've found a lot of the time that Dodge Offset doesn't help (shield centaurs, I'm looking at you), and that Umbran Climax is a better way to deal with those sorts of enemies.

The dodging behaviour just artificially makes the game more difficult. Even in a well-designed boss like the first phase of the Alraune fight you can Dodge Offset to try to keep your combo going and it doesn't do poo poo because of said enemy dodging half the time. While the first game's emphasis was on learning how to Dodge Offset to play well, the second game's forces you to use Witch Time to do well. Bayonetta 1 provided all the tools to do whatever the gently caress you thought up of. Bayonetta 2 forces you to play in a very rigid way: Dodge -> Get Witch Time -> Hit enemy a few times -> Repeat.

I'd never really thought about the alfheims' role in teaching you to play the game, but realising it just makes me appreciate the first game more. The only thing you really get from the second game is that Witch Time is crucial to getting anything done and that Umbran Climax is powerful and you should pretty much not bother with anything else.

Nyeehg posted:

Not quite. She shoots Balder and all is well at first. However, after she returns Cereza to her proper time, the sudden recovery of her memories causes the eyes of the world to awaken, resurrecting Balder and sealing them both into Jubileus.

...At least I think that's what happened?

Yeah, I think so??? In any case the fact that pretty much every boss fight in this game ends with the boss whooping Bayonetta's butt is just dumb. I refuse to believe that a witch who drop kicked god into the sun could be bested by basic bitches like Glamor :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Update 14: Like A Tank No talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Download

Sapientia

Artists have often depicted the Cardinal Virtue of Prudence, Sapientia, as a marine animal roaming the depths of the sea. This is likely due to the human disposition to characterize the sea as the source of all life, a veritable fountain of prudence and wisdom.

It is also thought that Sapientia is responsible for the rise and fall of the tides, and natural phenomena such as tsunamis. The grand idea that the living seas could be nothing other than Divine Will at work is actually evidence of Sapientia's narcissism, even amongst the other Cardinal Virtues.

When a man born as a slave led his people to freedom from ruling oppression, it is said that it was only Sapientia's favor that parted the seas and allowed for their escape.

Kinship

Kinship, as one of the Second Sphere Powers charged with defeating evil beings, is responsible for transporting the forces of Paradiso onto the battlefield. Leading countless angels to the front lines, catching sight of Kinship's magnificent flying appearance is analogous to many as the arrival of true happiness.

It is thought that Kinship is the angelic manifestation of the ark that saved a foolish human race from the devastating flood described in The Book of Creation within the scriptures of Ithavoll.

Worship

Ranked sixth in the angelic hierarchy, Worship is a Second Sphere Power with the body of a giant warship.

In contrast to Kinship, a Power used for transporting angelic armies across the battlefield, Worship uses the divine power of God to decimate his enemies. Worship's entrance into the fray is a sign that the battle is reaching its climax.

Past followers of Laguna believed to sacrifice their souls and become part of the ship was to receive the highest form of bliss.

Resplendence

Forged by divine hands using the brilliance of the sun itself, Resplendence resides in the First Sphere class Thrones, ranked third in the angelic hierarchy.

Resplendence's radiant form can overturn the laws of nature, turning night to day as it simply peers over the horizon. Among those who gaze into its luminous presence, the pious weep and bow before it, while it sears the eyes of those who lack faith, throwing them to the ground in submission.

Iustitia
Within Paradiso's Divine Will, also known as the Cardinal Virtues, Iustitia, or Justice, is known to take a particularly strange physical manifestation. A large mass covered with numerous faces, and extending outwards via countless tentacles, Iustitia could easily pass for a demon.

This may be due to the fact that those depicting the angel are filled beyond comprehension with awe at the sheer difficulty of encouraging justice in the world. Among Paradiso's Divine Will, there are those who believe that Iustitia is the closest of the Cardinal Virtues to hell.

Justice is said to be based upon rules established by man, to be followed by man, and changing one's viewpoint can lead to a change in what is evil. This uncertainty may be a manifestation of the existing folklore and depictions of Iustitia.

A Witch's Ultimate Weapon

At their peak, the secret arts of the Umbra Witches had advanced to the point they would give even today's modern science a run for its money.

Not many records remain of what the Umbra accomplished; most were lost in the Witch Hunts of the past. There are, however, still many wall paintings depicting what the Umbra were capable of.

On certain wall paintings, there are depictions of a gigantic jet-black warrior the witches would call forth in the middle of their most desperate battles. I guess you would call it... a robot? Still, it's not like the robots you see nowadays. These machines were like something straight out of a science fiction flick.

Considering it's a heavily armored powered suit for the Umbra, I guess "Umbran Armor" would be a good name for it, right? Similar to how the witches would control their Infernal Demons, Umbran Armor is manipulated by connecting the machine's framework with a witch's hair, using it as a catalyst for the magic power needed to move the armor like it was their own hands and feet.

Any witch that hopped into that iron suit could take down entire armies of angels in the blink of an eye. Sadly, that still wasn't enough to save their clan from elimination.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

jaydee864 posted:

Is it just me, or is the game audio really quiet after the first couple of seconds in all versions (both YouTube versions and both tracks of the download version) of the video?

That's from autoducking the game audio so you can hear the commentary. If the game audio is too quiet, please let me know so I can fix it. I am terrible with judging audio levels so I'd like to avoid another instance where I get a load of comments saying it's hard to hear me like in my Dodge Offset video. I assumed that since the LP is now 15 updates in most people find it okay?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Update 15: Time Loop Tango No talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Download

Temperantia

Temperantia, the true embodiment of the Cardinal Virtue of Temperance, is often illustrated as an epic giant. Its body rising like a castle, Temperantia possesses two treelike arms -- a composed figure said to illustrate the total reverence in which the Laguna are held by the faithful.

When the true power of the virtue of Temperance is laid upon our world, it is said to come as a tornado, capable of swallowing an entire country. Humans are helpless to guess at the impetus behind Divine Will, whether it be anger or happiness, and are left only with prayers and promises of personal temperance if only the heavens should make the storm subside.

Inspired

An angel of the First Sphere belonging to the class known as Thrones. Angels of this class are on such a higher plane of spiritual existence that there is little chance of humans ever crossing paths with them. Some artists are able to see an Inspired as blazing wheels, but it takes a painter with particularly strong spiritual abilities to be able to paint Inspured's long, curving, snakelike body.

Though they appear to have high honor as God's only trusted divine war tanks, they do little more than ravage the battlefield in a berserk state, swallowing up the enemies of Paradiso.

Loptr

Was it reality or all just a dream? Finding herself in the midst of the Great War, 500 years ago. Bayonetta was suddenly attacked by a young boy with the exact appearance of Loki.

After the symbol of their clan, the clock tower, was destroyed, the Umbra began to scatter, routed by their enemy. Demons and angels filled the sky, warring with each other in a violent swirl of chaos.

Bayonetta knew where these events would lead. She was now faced with a momentous choice: would she change the course of history? However, the possibility that it was all a trap was never far from her mind. She had traveled from the past to the future, and then back again -- the second time in her life she was made to leap through the dimensions of time and space.

The boy's mouth slowly contorted into a grin. His smile... how he stood there looking at Bayonetta... made his intent clear.

"I shall take back the power which belongs to me. The power of the Eyes of the World. You shall not interfere."

-Chapter 5
The True Vigrid Chronicles
Saavendra

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 9, 2015

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

mkob posted:

pomf.se died, reposting in gif format

Luckily I saved the original, so I've uploaded it to my channel (if you don't mind, if you do let me know) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaBg96xSxBk

Final main playthrough update will be going up tomorrow, because I decided at the 11th hour that I needed to reencode the video.

But please, continue to discuss how Bayo 2 is just as technically sound as Bayo 1. I can count on one hand the number of "hardcore" players I've talked to who liked the changes (pssst, it's zero)

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. It isn't remotely that. There are some people who strongly dislike it but even among hardcore fans it was heavily praised. It's at worst like the gap between DMC1 and DMC3, not DMC and DmC.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Update 16: New Year, New Heels
Part 1: No talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Download
Part 2: No talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Download

Aesir

Light, darkness, and chaos.

When the three worlds were divided at the dawn of time, Aesir was chosen to rule the World of Chaos. Possessing the power of the "Overseer", he existed in a dimension different from our own, watching the infinite possibilities that layered to form history from a viewpoint surpassing that of time and space.

His name, Aesir, is said to signify God in meaning, yet it has no connection to faith, morals, or religious teaching. Aesir is simply a supernatural being that could not be categorized by mankind any other way. If the legends passed down in Noatun contain any truth, it was makind itself who divided the God of Chaos into his two personalities: Loptr and Loki.

Aesir bestowed upon humans free will by giving them the "Eyes of the World". This, however, also gave birth to the ideas of triumph and defeat, truth and falsehood. People awakened to feelings of hate, betrayal, jealousy, and humiliation. The power of free will sparked an unstoppable surge throughout humanity that eventually led Aesir himself to wish to reclaim the power he had originally relinquished.

For someone who can travel through time and space, to take back the powers of the Overseer is to control the fate of the entire world across all time. Yet, humanity's choices had sown the seeds of evil within Aesir. Whatever course of action Aesir may take can only be retribution for humanity's sin...

Omne

An omniscient being formed by a miraculous unison of the powers of Paradiso and Inferno.

The past leaders of the Umbra and Lumen clans, though they were aware of Omne's existence, were unable to summon it to this realm. It took the combined power of light and darkness, united in the bond of father and daughter, to finally summon Omne successfully.

Possessing the qualities of both darkness and light, it can defeat even the most dissonant of chaos.

An Audience With...

It is said that God waits at the top of Fimbulventr, guiding those who visit him with his wisdom so they may find their true path.

To those living below, the top of the mountain looked to always be facing the most harsh, frigid conditions, but the Sovereign Quarters somehow remain isolated from all this--an area both peaceful and serene, with a perfect view of the starry sky.

Perhaps this was necessary to keep an accurate record of the stars' movement and the current happenings in the world. It is said that learned scholars of the past had a magnificent grasp of astronomy; I think it is probably because God imparted this wisdom unto them.

What's piqued my interest is a rumor about gates leading to both Inferno and Paradiso at the mountain's summit. Maybe God had these gates near his dwelling to watch over those worlds along with ours. Seeing if they really exist would be worth checking out.

The path to the mountain has crumbled away as time triumphed over it, leaving the other side blocked off forever, but to a fearless adventurer like myself, that sounds like just the challenge I've been waiting for.

Conclusion

I came to this town to find out the truth behind the origins of the legend of Aesir, but I never imagined I'd witness the story's conclusion with my own eyes. I don't think I can accurately sum up this century-spanning tale here, but I'll give a brief account.

Long, long ago, God imparted his powers to mankind by giving them the Eyes of the World, marking the dawn of free will. With the passing of this power, a new life was created. His name was Loptr. Loptr had the ability to absorb the evil thoughts of mankind that began to flow throughout the world. His power grew, and he dreamed of one day having a power equal to the God from which he was created. After accumulating a massive amount of energy, Loptr attempted to steal the Eyes of the World, but failed. By reincarnating himself, God fled to our modern era, where he was followed by Loptr. Loptr began a plan lasting 500 years involving Inferno, Paradiso, the Lumen, and the Umbra. As our world descended into chaos, Loptr began the final part of his plan. Yet in the end, not being a fully realized god, he couldn't forsee everything. An Umbra Witch crossed paths with God himself, as if fate had miraculously aligned. The two came together to stop Loptr's plan, in turn saving the world. Maybe it wasn't the perfect ending everyone hoped for, but our human world is still alive and kickin', so that's something. The Eyes of the World have lost their power, but the fear of humans losing their free will has been erased. Perhaps the Eyes of the World have dissolved into our world and dispersed their power silently across humanity. I can't say I really know what's going to happen next, but that's what makes tomorrow interesting, I suppose. As long as I'm around, I'm going to keep searching for the truth and let it be known.

-Seeker of Truth, Luka Redgrave

Handguns

Automatic pistols from Rodin to serve as some means of protection in the human world. Designed to be used by normal humans, these weapons are unable to withstand concentrated amounts of magic when firing, so witch eneergy must be controlled carefully.

Balder

Balder achieved his revenge. yet another battle awaited him. An endless battle with the soul of Aesir, trapped inside him until his death.

"My dear, sweet child...
Fear not, for I am always
watching over you..."

-Epilogue
The True Vigrid Chronicles
Saavedra

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

The Lost Chapter: Witch Trial I(Polsy) | Download

Chain Chomp

A curious creature Rodin encountered while travelling through the ancient capital of Japan. Unable to get close to it due to its penchant for biting everything it comes into contact with, Rodin waited until it was sleeping, then dragged it away, chain and all.

However, after multiple failed efforts to tame it, Rodin gave up and begged the witches to take it.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Zain posted:

Does the Chain Chomp have an umbran climax? I don't think you mentioned it in the video?

Yeah, I missed that. Every weapon barring the handguns has an Umbran Climax modifier, for the Chain Chomp it's just bigger chomps. Although, I could be wrong about the handguns, it might just give you bigger bullets.

Discendo Vox posted:

I am mad-mad that they split it into 5 chapters, that is.

There's a fun parallel between the problems of the lost chapter in this game and a number of others I've played in other genres- the top-tier difficulty tends to expose problems in the fundamental design and balance of the game (I do think the lost chapter in Bayo 1 had similar issues, but from everything you've documented it's a lot worse in the sequel).

I dunno, after having to grind through the Lost Chapter in Bayo 1, I'm pretty happy that they've changed it to separate chapters in 2. The only real challenging one in 2 is the last one, and you don't even have to complete it to unlock everything.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

The Lost Chapter: Witch Trial II(Polsy) | Download

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 3, 2015

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

The Lost Chapter: Witch Trial III(Polsy) | Download

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

The Lost Chapter: Witch Trial IV(Polsy) | Download

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

The Lost Chapter: Witch Trial V(Polsy) | Download

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Bonus round (9:14 if the link doesn't work)

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Sindai posted:

What is even going on here?

Normally Aesir drops in to start the fight, but you can start attacking him before he does that. PPPPK, charge the kick. Chain Chomp bombs stagger Aesir, use WT to slow things down. Rinse and repeat. Due to this game's targeting system, attacks are locked on to the enemy without having to have them onscreen. I'd honestly say the targeting system in this game is better than the first in that sense.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Tag Climax: An Introduction(Polsy)

Cards covered:

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 17, 2015

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Tag Climax: Now, About Charge Bullet...(Polsy) | Download (Audio only)

Featuring Doshmaster Cash, General Beatrix and Flicky.

Cards covered:

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 31, 2016

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

It's for shits and giggles, mostly. Like I said in the Tag Climax intro video, I wanted to show everything off, but didn't want to do conventional commentary over it. Hopefully the next one will be a little more balanced though, I think I've mentioned that there aren't many people who liked the gameplay changes and also are willing to talk to me about it. I've only managed to find one such person :v:

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Sorry for the silence! I've been waiting on getting the audio files for the next Tag Climax video from my commentator. More likely than not the next Tag Climax update will be a while longer. Have some concept art as a half-rear end update instead!

Concept Art - Characters, Enemies and Infernal Demons
Concept Art - Backgrounds
Concept Art - Objects

On the upside, with luck I'll have a different update before I go on holiday next week. Otherwise, don't let the thread die over the next six weeks :v:

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Verse 0: The Infinite One Youtube(Polsy) | Download

Rodin
Mysterious bracelets once used by the fallen angel Rodin in holding dominion over a portion of Paradiso. Depending on the power of its user, these bracelets can take on many different forms.

Rodin
An immortal man feared as the most dangerous demon in the entire barren wasteland of Inferno. Freely traveling between the human world and Inferno, it is nearly impossible to guess his location at any given time. His sudden visits to Inferno are said to be for hunting its most savage, ruthless demons and taking their souls.

It is rumoured that he was once a resident of Paradiso with the power of creation, but witnessing his acts in Inferno, most would think him more suited for destruction. Though his principle purpose for collecting the souls of Inferno's denizens is to use them in making his weapons, he himself is almost never seen sporting anything other than his bare fists: true testament to their unbridled power.

As the famed weaponsmith of Inferno, he destroys to create, then creates to destroy. His true objective is still a mystery, though perhaps he is waiting for someone to appear who will finally have the power to undo him.

"drat, been a long time since I had a workout like that. You come back soon, dig? I'll be here... Waiting. Again."
- Rodin, The Gates of Hell

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 14, 2016

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

mkob posted:

Does the game prevent you from using items against him?

Yeah, it's the same deal as the Rodin fight in the first game.

AnotherGamer posted:

So were you going to show off the basic gameplay with the Tag Climax-exclusive characters or just use them when you feel like it when you show off all the Verse Cards without any additional commentary?

I'll be covering everything I missed in the main playthrough, like all the torture attacks, for example, plus the unlockables (characters, accessories, weapons), which also includes the tag climax characters in the final video(s). In fact, if there's something anybody wants me to specifically cover, let me know, I'm sure I've missed something.

Golden Goat posted:

Shiiett...

That looked awful.

I'm 100% certain that beating Rodin is just getting lucky, and that Pure Platinuming him is getting lucky over a course of many, many failed attempts. I know someone who beat him on their first try, and here's me 20+ hours later still trying to beat the rear end in a top hat. It's not like he's particularly difficult either, I memorised his attacks pretty quickly. It's just that he's got a lot of terribly designed attacks.

On that note, this will probably be the last update for a while, I need a break from this disappointing game.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I'm not dead!

Tag Climax: The Technical Stuff(Polsy) | Download (Audio only)

Featuring Morninglord22

Cards covered:

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 31, 2016

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Tag Climax: Concerning Action Games(Polsy) | Download (Audio only)

Featuring Ben Ruiz and Saurian Dash

Cards covered:

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Verse 1: The World of Bayonetta 2 Youtube(Polsy) | Download

Bayonetta (Default)

A new Bayonetta in a new hairstyle. Her outfit is an Umbran battle uniform laced together with her hair through witchcraft.

Uniformed

The battle uniform of the Umbra Witches. The strong, tightly woven hair forming this bodysuit repels all attacks.

Umbran Gekka

An alluring Chinese dress with a bold slit makes this outfit smart and sexy.

Police Woman

This police uniform has removed all hindrances to mobility, so you can serve out justice in style. Who knows? Maybe you'll finally be able to cuff the man of your dreams.

Schoolgirl

The approved uniform of Shirogane International High School, with just a little edge added. Wear this and every day can be your sweet 16th.

Witch Apprentice

The training uniform of a young apprentice witch who died in an unfortunate accident during a practice ritual. Some say the instant one puts their arms through the robe's sleeves they become the past owner.

Metal Witch

If you've ever wanted abs of steel, now they're yours... literally. With this bodysuit you'll be the most heavy metal person you know.

Dress / Elegant Outfit

You've got the day off; why not go to town and dress up a bit? You'll surely catch everyone's eye wearing this lovely number.

Mushroom Kingdom Princess

From the wardrobe of the princess of the Mushroom Kingdom, with a few slight alterations.

Grants the user the ability to summon a certain spiky-shelled king through a Wicked Weave.

Sarasaland Princess

From the wardrobe of the princess of Sarasaland, with a few slight alterations.

Grants the user the ability to summon a certain spiky-shelled king through a Wicked Weave.

Hero of Hyrule

Courage, power, and wisdom abound in this new take on the legendary hero's tunic.

Enjoy a new kind of gameplay with the included Master Sword and Hylian Shield.

Press L stick in the direction of the enemy's attack with perfect timing to neutralize it.

Galactic Bounty Hunter

The power suit of the famed galactic bounty hunter.

With its beam-firing Arm Cannon, this suit is everything a girl needs to overcome inhospitable alien terrain.

Press Y to to fire the Arm Cannon and hold it to shoot a Charge Shot.

Press L stick and ZR twice to use the suit's Morph Ball ability.

Star Mercenary

The pilot suit of the galaxy's bravest team of mercenaries, with a few slight alterations.

Without question top class in maneuverability, only with this suit can one be granted use of the powerful galactic gun, the Arwing.

A Witch With No Memories

A witch who lost her memory after being sealed away for centuries. She wears a sleek black battlesuit that she forms through magic with her own devastating hair.

Old (Old Hairstyle)

Wax nostalgic with this faithful reproduction of a dress that was in vogue 500 years ago. Wearing this will make you feel young again! Enter a fashion time warp!

Nun (Old Hairstyle)

For times when the refined woman is posing as a nun, this authentic costume will allow you to blend right in. With this genuine article draped across your body, you may very well be invited to join a convent.

Jeanne (Default)

Jeanne, in a tight fit crimson motorcycle suit. She's grown out her platinum blonde hair to contrast Bayonetta's new style.

Character Traits-
Although Witch Time will require more precision to trigger, Jeanne deals more damage with Wicked Weaves than Bayonetta.

The Last Witch

A friend of Bayonetta's since their days training together long ago. She prefers her red suit to the traditional battle uniform witches commonly wear.

Nun (Old Hairstyle)

Cosplay is an experience that once you've tried, you will never forget. Which is why we are offering an authentic nun's costume. This won't be the last time you cosplay, we swear, so throw off those inhibitions and join the club!

Cutie J (Old Hairstyle)

The battle uniform of the Umbra Witches. The strong, tightly woven hair forming this bodysuit repels all attacks. But in the hands of the seemingly mild-mannered schoolteacher Jeanne, the suit allows her to transform into the powerful Cutie J! Defending her city and her beloved students, she cuts through evil with her crimson blade, Bloody Moon!

Those distant, hear the sound... Those close by, see the spectacle... Evildoers, fear final justice, because the Platinum Knight has arrived to defend the weak and innocent! CUTIE J IS HERE!

Robes of Banishing

A pitch black Umbran battle uniform laced together with hair through witchcraft.

Long ago she was imprisoned with chains which suppressed her magic power for breaking the laws of the Umbra. She still wears the chains now as a reminder.

Character Traits-
Rosa deals increased damage to enemies at the cost of lower defense. Players must use caution.

Unable to use Umbran Climax, Rosa can spend saved up magic power to summon Umbran Armor.

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 14, 2016

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

That's some pretty neat info there. I like it when games add things like ciphered text and little background details like that. Does Balder's summon circle say anything in particular? Or is it just the reused angel one? I know Bayo's costume contains fragments of a poem (at least in the high-rez model for publicity images).

Also Saxonetta is pretty amazing
:sax:

I'd have to sit down and find a good shot of it, but I would guess it says what the alfheim portals said: Heaven's radiance outshines all. Bayonetta's default outfits have always had traces of demon script on them, it's just basically impossible to get the whole picture, although bless the internet for trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Verse 2: After the End Comes... Youtube(Polsy) | Download

Unmasked

Balder, unmasked. His battle robes are made with a divine thread to ward off evil.

Masked

A Lumen Sage wearing battle robes made with a divine thread to ward off evil and a mask to help him stay focused on his target

Japan Style

Rodin, wearing a modern ensemble with a Japanese taste. It's something he's been into recently.

New York Style

Rodin in his favourite number. It's been with him long enough now that it's starting to feel like quite the classic.

All 4 One
Four powerful handguns, crafted by the famed demon-smith Rodin, and crowned with the names Athos, Portos, Aramis, and D'Artagnan. Pushing one's magical powers to their limits, these guns' rate of fire and stopping power are incredible.

Able to withstand the backlash from powerful magic arts, they allow their user to release complete power with no holding back and execute demon-infused hair attacks called Wicked Weaves.

Rasetsu
A mesmerizing, sharp-edged pair of swords that seal the goddess of destruction and ruin, Rasetsu.

When a female has these weapons in her hands, demonic energy causes her power to increase tenfold and can send lost souls away from this world to where they belong.

Samsa
A bow containing the soul of a man who was transformed into a poisonous insect, disowned by his family, and cast to the depths of Inferno.

The bugs decorated across the bow are all alive, and constantly producing deadly toxins. Those struck by arrows from this bow will be susceptible to sickness of all kinds.

Rusalka
An infernal weapon containing the souls of lonely water spirits, known as Rusalka, who failed to become brides.

The screams of their souls as they escape the machine are at times horrible flames of destruction, or blizzards of the coldest temperatures.

Inferno Slayer
A scythe used by a sage to hunt demons who wandered into human villages.

His merciless killing of demon after demon earned him the name Inferno Slayer by the villagers. At first they praised him, but eventually they grew afraid of his power and expelled him from the village, no longer remembering him as a protector.

No one knows what happened to the sage after he was expelled, and the scythe's whereabouts were long since lost to the sands of time. Eventually, Rodin heard rumor that a demon in Inferno possessed it; the weaponsmith claimed the scythe for himself, along with the soul of the demon.

The scythe was then given the name of its previous owner, and became an instrument for slaying demons and angels alike.

Yagyu

True to its name, which means wild bull, this enormous hammer houses a charm blessed by the raging bull god Gozu.

Some time ago, Rodin used this hammer during a fight to save a certain planet in crisis.

Despite Rodin's fine work, Bayonetta turned down the weapon, not finding its name to her liking. Rodin felt he had no choice but to join the battle himself and put on a personal display of its power.

Rodin has since made it more powerful for Jeanne, traveling to Japan to find and affix a new charm.

Agni

Chainsaws containing spiritual energy absorbed from the god who controls all flame.

The fire that constantly flows from this weapon transforms into sharp teeth that can sear anything apart.

Scarborough Fair

Crafted by the famed demon-smith Rodin, these four guns have been crowned with the names Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. Pushing Bayonetta's magic to its limits, the firing rate and stopping power of these guns is incredible.

The durable framework of these weapons makes them able to withstand any amount of power channeled through them, including Wicked Weaves--powerful attacks by the Umbras that use hair to summon demons.

Shuraba

A living katana, pulsing with the heart of Asura, the demon god of war. Always seeking blood, the blade will suck the very souls out of its victims.

Angel Slayer

A katana born in the unknown depths of Inferno, brimming with mystery. One legend states that it is the twin sword to Shuraba. It is also said the sword's name comes from the story of a witch who loved the sword, and was excommunicated for carrying out a futile war against the angels.

While the sword did not contain the soul of a demon, the Angel Slayer displayed incredible power; however, the sword, and the witch in whose hand it was held, both found themselves in Inferno. Eventually, the blade passed into the hands of Rodin who was able to make up for its previous deficiency. Still, it remains unknown what sort of demon the smith was able to seal away in the historic blade.

Unforgiven

A set of guns found by Rosa after having been long sealed away for being used in the betrayal and injury of an Umbran sister.

The set is comprised of four individual guns named North, South, East, and West.

As they were originally designed for witches, their affinity with magic is strong, and though old, the power of a single shot is immeasurable.

However, it goes without saying that these guns, meant only for chosen Umbra, should not be allowed in the hands of one who broke the laws of the clan by loving a Lumen Sage. Though they were returned to Rosa as the clan faced the threat of annihilation, they no longer contain any of their original power. They now exist only as a weapon of the forsaken, to hold back the disaster that encroaches upon her.

---

I feel like I need to have one final word about Bayonetta 2 before I get off this soapbox/let's play for good. As I have maintained since the beginning of this LP, I think that Bayonetta 2 is a good game, but it is also a disappointing sequel to my favourite game ever. My goal with this LP was to present my issues with the game, especially as this was and continues to be an unpopular opinion.

I dislike the idea that criticising something automatically means you don't like it. I have never been one to excessively gush over anything, and the implication that critical thought equals blind hate is a very black and white way of seeing the world. Regardless of what it may have sounded like, I have never hated Bayonetta 2. I was just as critical of the first game but got none of the poo poo I got for criticising this game.

Despite this, I hope that what I had to say stuck with some of you, because at least in that sense, I will have at least achieved what I set out to do. Thank you all for watching.

(one final bit of fanart by mkob because he is a cool dude. Context: https://twitter.com/yoshesque/status/707178725293428736)

• Locked thread