Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's pretty typical for tie-in anime. "Want to get the proper story? Read the LN/manga/whatever!" and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The blade levels up with him so if he sucks it sucks too.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
LN publishers regularly trawl through the JP equivalent of FF.net for stuff to sell. DanMachi, Log Horizon & SAO (among others) all came from that same website, IIRC.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

TheKingofSprings posted:

I assume with SAO they saw 16.5 and were like "yeah you can leave that one out"

I assume Kawahara left it out from the beginning since he does have some common sense.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Sakurazuka posted:

The website of a national newspaper here did an article on it where they think it's a real fashion trend in Japan.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3040009/Women-Japan-tying-RIBBONS-breasts-boost-cleavage-s-inspired-curvy-cartoon-character.html

Isn't the Daily Mail like just a step up from a tabloid?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's just a meme, dude.

(They also verified the obvious: no it doesnt' work at all)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm actually curious since as a guy I can't tell from looking, do we know why it doesn't work? My guess is on uncomfortable.

For one, it's not affixed to anything such that it could actually lift anything, unless you keep your shoulders/arms lifted. This is obviously tiring. For another, it won't work if the ribbon is too close to the ribcage, it should be somewhere around the middle, and it's gonna be prone to slipping.

Incidentally, if you look at the reference pic you can tell the ribbon's not actually doing anything, and it's not needed either because anime physics are magical.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 21, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

chumbler posted:

"Shortstack" is a very appropriate nickname for Hestia. Kudos to whoever thought it up.

Isn't that the standard term for short and stacked (redundantly enough)?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Haruhi is quite unlikable though.

Personally I like Lili and know of two others who like her too and one of them is a straight girl so I assume there's something to like in Lili.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
All his Nice Guy powers did was let a damaged person trust again.

Is that so bad?

(Actually how far is the anime right now? I've been reading the manga and recently the LN as well because I don't have patience to wait for people to talk)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

(Yes I know it was aimed at Phobophilia)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Thor-Stryker posted:

I noticed the supporter's magic weapon shattered pretty easily, I wonder if their integrity is weaker than basic metals.
I recall that in the 2nd novel Bell thinks about magic weapons and how they're of limited usefulness because they're rare therefore expensive yet they break after a number of uses so they aren't really practical for people who aren't swimming in money.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 1, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Yes but it's not pure fanservice now is it. :v:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Darth Walrus posted:

There's a 10% chance it's a beach instead. This dungeon's geography is goddamn weird.

Pretty sure it's like a roguelike where it's constantly shifting save for a few fixed points.

In fact the entire system is very roguelike.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

ConanThe3rd posted:

So am I reading Freya right in that she's getting off on Bell's progress?

Also I'm kinda sad it took 2/3rds of the season for the party to form. They are just so delightful to see bounce off each other.

Edit: Hestia and Hermes going in with glasses and a metool hat. :allears:

The metool hat is actually the standard japanese construction worker safety hat! :eng101:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Wait so she disguised as both dog girl and hobbit boy when she's in fact a hobbit girl?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The book narration explicitly had both Bell and some other dude confuse her with a hobbit boy (and instead get a dog girl). So yeah.

I guess it was probably just the cloak muddling things for the characters.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 17, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Yes that part was never under question.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Kanos posted:

I think she was also worried that if he knew what was causing his super stat growth(his desire to get stronger to catch up with Aiz) then that might ironically weaken or disable the skill altogether because he might stop trying so hard and might start trying to use the skill as a crutch. She's said the power of the skill is directly tied to the strength of his feelings in that regard.

Just so you know, Hestia did have a good reason to keep the skill secret. It's a one-of-a-kind skill, the kind that would attract trouble. This was elaborated in a little section from her point of view.
(Please forgive the BakaTsuki tier translation)

quote:

(If I reveal it, it will be bad. Definitely bad)
Not letting Bell know about this skill was absolutely not a prank. To be honest, the jealousy she felt for the Wallen-whatever girl accounted for 70%, no, 90% of the reason, anyways, saying this will cause a lot of trouble.
Because the other gods thirst for entertainment, <Rare Skill> or <Original>, they would react to these words. As if they were children, satisfying their own interest, while laughing
Also, there were idiots that were invited to other <Familia>.
It was just like a gamer’s personality.
(This child is not good at telling lies, if he was asked, he would definitely be suspected by others. Although I am sorry, I won’t concede about this point)
The specific conditions that rapidly upgrades the growth rate.
<Single-Minded Pursuit>, it was definitely an unconfirmed new skill.
In order to protect Bell from the demonic hands, Hestia kept the existence of this skill within her heart.

ofc there's her general childish possessiveness wrt Bell. Her appearance is not the only thing influenced by her lack of power. But she's still a goddess, so she's both wise and stupid at the same time.

Ironically she's exactly right except it's due to a different trait of Bell's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
"Start over". :v:

In the case of BakaTsuki it's a politics thing. Their idea of what an editor should do is "spell check, nothing more" because they hold the translators to a pedestal.

And translator blogs are typically a one-man affair so there isn't an editor at all.

Also, from my experience trying to fix a crappy script and what a good translator commented it seem it actually takes more work to reword things to good english than it is to translate to broken english.

• Locked thread