Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Hyperlynx posted:

Has anyone got that vid of them not doing anything to indicate the start of play, where they instead just stand up and calmly stroll through the other side's players?
Probably doesnt work after middle school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ymtjy844OE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
You can sing the lyrics to Country Boy Can Survive by Hank Jr to Going to California by Led Zeppelin.

Well, for the first couple lines anyway.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
So actually you can't then?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

So actually you can't then?

You can, if you have determination and the typical goon's understanding of lyrical meter

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You can "sing" the verses to Johnny Cash's Drive On to The Monster Mash.

We were crazy, we were wild
And I have seen the tiger smile
I spit in a bamboo viper's face
And I'd be dead , but by God's grace
They did the mash.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Captain Hygiene posted:

You can, if you have determination and the typical goon's understanding of lyrical meter

Preacher man says it's the end of time, the Mississippi river she's goin' ... dry

work with me here. Please don't get to the high parts.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Some people pronounce mall "mall" instead of "mall" :stonklol:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wait till you hear them say pall mall

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
pell mell

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

strong bow

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The person who shoots you at the start of Fallout: New Vegas is Matthew Perry

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

The person who shoots you at the start of Fallout: New Vegas is Matthew Perry

It is hard to tell because the fact someone would hire Matthew Perry and give him literally zero funny lines is so incredible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Isn't that everything he did after Friends? And most of Friends?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Isn't that everything he did after Friends? And most of Friends?

Dunno I didn't watch Friends. But I thought he was a comedian or something?

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 07:11 on May 2, 2024

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

Phy posted:

One thing I always wanted to know but never really knew who to ask, is if TV stations buy syndicated programs by the episode or by the season. If it's by the episode, and they tend to only buy the ones with higher Nielsen scores, that would go a long way to explaining why it always seems like you catch the same few episodes over and over, without relying on invoking confirmation bias.

My understanding, based on a conversation I had with a program director several years ago, is that they are bought by season, for a certain number of airings per episode. Of course, this only applies to series with cash contracts (in back-end syndication, that is, reruns, compared to front-end stuff like Jeopardy!), where stations are free to schedule as they please. Most syndicated reruns I have paid attention to adhere to a nationwide schedule (the barter system with a number of built-in ads as well) and that goes more or less in order or multiple ordered threads.

The Simpsons is the only show in the former category that springs to mind, having ended its barter runs in 1999. And it's also full of bizarre scheduling choices these days, especially as the popularity/quality declines and the catalog just gets bigger. WUAB in Cleveland has gone from a few early-evening episodes per weekday (and a rotation through most seasons) to a few episodes in weekend slots (often in the middle of the night) that often get skipped for weeks or months at a time. When it does run the show, it's only from a recent season, more or less in (production) order, but sometimes leapfrogging some. It could barely manage to show anything really old anyhow, mathematically. Acquisition of a new-to-syndication season usually puts that season on very heavy rotation, along with apparent burning off of remaining runs of older episodes. For example, now it's been slowly working through season 33 and 34, after bouncing through 27-32 a bunch. A few weeks ago, it jumped to a few season 26 episodes and back again, as if a few low-rotation episodes just need to get used up, but I have not seen anything older than those in years. It's quite possible that older seasons are retired from availability, at least in this case with such a huge number of episodes.

On the other hand, on WTXF in Philadelphia, which currently has a pretty consistent middle-of-the-night weeknight slot, it seems to stay with the most recent season exclusively, but in completely random order (random with replacement!), leading to a lot of deja vu over the course of even a few weeks. For example, a chunk of season 33 last summer was very random, though did cover 21 of 22 episodes in about 6 weeks. This winter/spring, season 34 has been running for over 3 months but 7 of those episodes still haven't run in the time I've been paying attention. But I am still fairly confident the station isn't buying more of some episodes than others. These three months, though missing a few, have still had fairly even distribution of the rest overall.

One thing that complicates this is that groups of about 7 episodes are not available in syndication the next fall when the rest of their season are, usually because the original network is still planning a rerun or two (often a combination of holiday episodes that make more sense to reair a year later than in the middle of the year, and episodes from the end of the season that just haven't had a chance to air the typical three-ish times by September). Usually those holds are released by January or so. In the case of Simpsons season 34, it's true that the Halloween episodes seem to be getting passed up in both cities in question, as well as possibly the last few. But season 34 had very few airings on Fox, so it's hard to predict what the held episodes should be with the usual certainty, they should all be available by now, and I don't know what WTXF did in the fall. The station may itself want to feature the holiday episodes more at an appropriate time.

Even without adding all the details I have amassed over the years, I know this is very rambly, but I hope it sketches out a rough picture.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It is hard to tell because the fact someone would hire Matthew Perry and give him literally zero funny lines is so incredible.

"Could the game have been more rigged from the start?"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I was just watching a Street Fighter 6 tournament, and thinking it would be funny if people really did yell out the names of attacks when they do them, and then that it'd be funny if, like, soldiers yelled out "SHOOTING GUN!" when they fired, and so on.

Anyway, I just realised that fighter pilots LITERALLY do that. There are radio code words for different kinds of attack. Admittedly "shoryuken!" sounds a lot cooler than "fox three!" but there you go.

e:

Captain Splendid posted:

"Could the game have been more rigged from the start?"

Oh real smooth, Courier! Smooth like smooth little babies!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hyperlynx posted:

I was just watching a Street Fighter 6 tournament, and thinking it would be funny if people really did yell out the names of attacks when they do them, and then that it'd be funny if, like, soldiers yelled out "SHOOTING GUN!" when they fired, and so on.

Anyway, I just realised that fighter pilots LITERALLY do that. There are radio code words for different kinds of attack. Admittedly "shoryuken!" sounds a lot cooler than "fox three!" but there you go.

I shout Street Fighter moves when I take a big poo poo, makes the experience a whole lot more fun. HADOUKEN!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Laukaus! Laukaus! Sarrrrrrrja!

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

In the Canadian military it's procedure to yell "grenade" *before* throwing a grenade.

Which leads to a lot of confusion during exercises with US troops where someone yelling grenade is a warning that one just landed near them and to take cover.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If I were a knife fighter I'd be absolutely shouting STAB, SLASH, STAB STAB

Or a fencer announcing all my moves in a haughty French accent

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I shout Street Fighter moves when I take a big poo poo, makes the experience a whole lot more fun. HADOUKEN!

https://youtu.be/xbHLQAthI7M?si=bmDEYRJkXL8jNLi4

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Dunno I didn't watch Friends. But I thought he was a comedian or something?

If I remember right, they actually hired him because he was a big Fallout fan.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

St_Ides posted:

In the Canadian military it's procedure to yell "grenade" *before* throwing a grenade.

Which leads to a lot of confusion during exercises with US troops where someone yelling grenade is a warning that one just landed near them and to take cover.

Classic mistake. If you want to surprise the enemy, it's best not to announce what you're going to do beforehand. I'm available for consulting if the US or Canadian militaries need help with this sort of thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You know, shouting the same word whether you are the one throwing the object or it has been thrown in your direction is probably a bad idea in general

I would prefer "THINK FAST CHUCKLENUTS!"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

St_Ides posted:

Unlike the movies, "say again" is how you request someone to repeat all or part of the transmitted message. "Repeat" is asking for another round of artillery or naval fire support.

Depending on circumstances, mixing those up will either matter not at all or quite a lot.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hyperlynx posted:

e:

Oh real smooth, Courier! Smooth like smooth little babies!

Soldiers very much do, only not with small arms. Tank gunners and carl gustaf shooters kinda prominently. And small arms don't go off unannounced either ideally, but leader shouting 'fire' or an enemy call out might not be very street fighter idk

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's Estus Flask, not Estrus Flask.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

canyoneer posted:

Unlike the movies, "say again" is how you request someone to repeat all or part of the transmitted message. "Repeat" is asking for another round of artillery or naval fire support.

Depending on circumstances, mixing those up will either matter not at all or quite a lot.

I saw that mistake happen live in Desert Storm; a whole bunch of sand got rearranged instead of an artillery correction being used.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

Don’t— [hrrk]… kinkshame

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

St_Ides posted:

So what do Canadians yell when a grenade lands near them? "Hadouken"?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's common knowledge that Australia has feral populations of large introduced animals such as camels, horses, deer, cattle, water buffaloes etc but apparently we also have a small number of feral ostriches wandering around the outback: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-02/elusive-ostriches-roam-outback-after-farming-attempts-go-bust/10190990

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's common knowledge that Australia has feral populations of large introduced animals such as camels, horses, deer, cattle, water buffaloes etc but apparently we also have a small number of feral ostriches wandering around the outback: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-02/elusive-ostriches-roam-outback-after-farming-attempts-go-bust/10190990

They're not really the worst feral thing we got here though. That's White Australians

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
You don't have Bogan-proof fences?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

No fence can stop a Bogan if they are determined enough.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

MariusLecter posted:

Maybe in Bloodborne

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Power Skanssi (Power being a chain of electronics stores) is not in the shopping centre named Skanssi.

e: Modern Family Guy in the motion picture The Incredible Hulk is doctor Leonard Samson. It would be p great if he appeared in one of the Marvel movies as that character, bright green hevi hair and all.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 18:52 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.
Yesterday's Wordle being "decal" reminded me of a couple of counterintuitive etymological facts:

1. "Decal" and "cockamamie" are both shortenings of the exact same word ("decalcomania").
2. "Periwinkle" (the gastropod) and "periwinkle" (the flower) are etymologically unrelated.

Also, this post from Guavanaut in the D&D UK megathread deserves to be more widely seen:

Guavanaut posted:

My rodent true fact that would make someone look like a david icke tinfoil hat weirdo were it not 100% true is that Jews invented hamsters in the 1930s.

Specifically Israel Aharoni, the 'Hebrew father of zoology', who successfully bred Syrian Cricetinae that he collected from Aleppo for the first time at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, from which all modern pet hamsters are descended.

I find it bizarre that, for example, Michael Caine was born before hamsters were domesticated.