Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Incessant Excess posted:

Are there any decent options in the fitness tracker/smartwatch space other than the Galaxy Watch 4?

Right now, I'm using a Mi Band 6 to read incoming notifications and make NFC payments. This works pretty well overall but reading notifications is a bit cumbersome due to the small display and lack of emoji support, similarly making NFC payments could also be improved because changing menus on the band is a bit slow and unresponsive.

I like that the GW4 offers a small (40mm) version but the low battery life puts me off, as I don't feel that I'm using my current band enough to want to bother with something I'd have to charge daily. I'm guessing the answer is no but is there anything similar to the GW4 that offers better battery life or can the battery life of the GW4 be improved significantly by turning off all health tracking?

If it helps, my GW4 can usually last 2+ days and that's with notifications, step/heartrate/etc. tracking and lift to wake on. I take it off to shower so it's mostly kept charged in any case, but even when I can't be bothered it's still OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

wolrah posted:

I've been getting terrible battery life on mine for about a week at this point. Somewhere between 6 and 9 PM I'm getting the low battery alert where normally it's more like 2-3 AM at the earliest.

My regular Watch 4's battery life starts getting noticeably worse every few weeks.
Usually I can eke out just a bit over 2 days with health/sleep tracking and tilt to wake, but eventually drops to about a day for no apparent reason. Then I reboot it and then it's back to normal.

:iiam:

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

T.C. posted:

I have a Garmin watch that I like, but I'm considering switching to a WearOS smartwatch with LTE to help give myself more of an excuse to leave my phone at home occasionally.

Is a current gen Pixel or Galaxy Watch really better to the point that I should be paying more than double what I can get a Galaxy Watch 4 for? Has there been a big enough jump in the newest generation that it makes it worthwhile?

I also have to check with my carrier to see if they still have a limitation that you can't pair a Galaxy Watch for number sharing unless you use a Samsung phone to do it.

edit: haha, what. Google Maps doesn't work on WearOS without a phone tethered via bluetooth, even on an LTE enabled watch? That's real dumb! Or it sort of works sometimes, but if you leave your phone disconnected too long the watch gets mad?

edit2: Also, Google Maps on watch won't do transit directions, which is the best google maps feature

I don't think there's a real difference between a Watch 4 and a Watch 5, except for the 5 Pro which has a larger battery.

Now I'm wondering if the Pixel Watch has any advantages over the Watch 4/5. It's pretty much worse in all regards including price, right?

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

sourdough posted:

If you're like me and were annoyed there was no way to turn off notifications for daily step goals on your Galaxy Watch, I finally found a fix:

Does this work for you? The option to turn the notification off is grayed out for me. This is on a GWatch 6.