Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hey y'all, this is a great game, but since I have a poo poo PC I have it on pretty low details, so I need and answer to this:
How do I increase the number of blood that stays on the map? I know how to ramp up dead bodies, but they are just not the same when there is no blood everywhere.

Other then that, I gotta say I am suprised my Core 2 Duo, GTX 560 on 4 gigs ram can run this in 720 and not get nearly any frame drops during the game (just a little stutter when I buy a new weapon). All the videos made me feel bad I won't be able to play it, but here I am having a blast blasting zeds in half :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh yeah, whatever the update did to shotguns, it seems to have fixed the issue I had with the medic shotgun, where the pellets didn't fly out at the right moment. Now I actually hit stuff with it and it's awesome :black101:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
People like seeing their numbers go up over time. It's to pull more players in for longer. People really like to see their numbers be bigger then someone else's.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So am I the only one who thinks that they made the Medic Rifle so poo poo on purpose? Medic is kinda superpowered at the moment, and I think that the AR is just there to be a trap for people who think that "more expensive = better" along with the Eviscerator. With how absolutely insanely good the pistol, shotgun and especially the SMG for the medic are, there is no real reason to pick up the AR. You'd be better off with AA12.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
This is not enough of a thing. Where are the voicelines? :colbert:

It's a good start though, and I am waiting for the inevitable Tripwire/Overkill collaboration, affecting either game. But I guess any colabs will have to wait untill KF2 is a bit more polished.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Mr E posted:

Also I'm not sure if we already knew this but they're not going to reset stats from now on.

This motivates me to play more like no other announcement has to this point.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Truecon420 posted:

How bout a system with something like that bar/meter, where you can trigger it but only with a lesser effect than if you had let it occur "naturally".

Easily abusable by a team with good coordination. Even making it so you can't extend it, having 6 people launch it one by one is potentially gamebreaking, especially with new Berserkers being able to move normally in Zed Time.

What I'm saying, is DO IT NOW.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Oh baby dual pistols!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yay for interrupting reloads, now I'll be able to actually shoot at least once in Zed Time :v: I like the parry changes, I LOVE the Eviscerator changes, Hans changes are basically what we asked for and we now know which attacks are unblockable.

Seems like a great patch, can't wait to play it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Demo gets C4 as his bomb laying weapon, it's been confirmed.

Also yuck on the animation reload change. Finishing the reload before the animation is done absolutely sucks, because it encourages and rewards stupid weapon switch behavior. If you want the reload to be faster, make the animation faster, don't force people to weapon switch juggle. It's just as dumb as running faster with a knife out and we've left that behind (for the most part).

I figured it meant that the animation is a bit shorter, as in, you can actually shoot when the magazine is in the weapon, as opposed to "magazine in weapon and weapon put back to the default position on the screen".

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well I guess with how easy it is to get swarmed with trash zeds, now Hard is actually Hard :v: But yeah, with the addition of explosions and fire the game playes vastly diffrent. It's utter utter chaos and I love it. I especially love the fact that as a Medic, my weapons were not hit by the ammo nerf at all. Also the SMG is still better then the AR because of how much more accurate it is.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Questioner86 posted:

He covers his vulnerable power core with his big metal poundy arms, which I think is cool as gently caress.

Holy crap that red glowing thing is a weak spot? I never knew, even with all these hours in KF1 :suicide:

I get the reasoning with the balance, it feels like you've found some good spots with Medic and Zerker, but really hosed everyone else :v: Gotta say tho, this might be because there are a lot of lvl 0-2 Firebugs/Demos and they eat through ammo like it's candy on Haloween. But just throw in a single lvl 10 berserker into the mix, and suddenly you have a guy who can loving drown you with money. With everything being weakened with fire and :torgue: EXPLOSIONS :torgue: and the new changes on top of that, Zerkers can chew through trash mobs like a snow plow covered in blood, and then go 1v1 against Scrakes and FPs. You just then have to politely ask them for some money.

Never bothered to check - I know you get XP for assisting in killing a Zed, but do you get cash for that as well? If not, you might consider adding a partial reward for an assist. Just like a third of the Zeds value. This will make Firebugs never bother anyone for cash ever again, but then again their weapons are expensive.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Taffer posted:

Weapons picked up just shouldn't be sellable imo. 90% of the time people would just pick them up for cash unless it was wave 1. This would also prevent allies selling weapons you dropped on death, which could be good for anti-grief in pubs.

I like that guns don't show up as much though, previously the "optimal" thing to do was run around and get as many guns as possible and sell them to get your top tier guns ASAP, which honestly was kinda lame and not fun. Now they're rare enough that you can't really do that so you probably won't be getting your top tier guns until the last wave or two, which is a Good Thing. However I think that change can coexist with having reasonable ammo reserves like before the nerf - ammo boxes can and should be relatively rare and ammo should be expensive, but you should still be able to get a decent reserve for the later waves if you have extra cash.

Hell, even Wave 1 I will sell the weapon after the dust settles to buy more class guns/ammo/armor.

Maybe it could be done like this - you can buy extra ammo for every gun, but every magazine over the current limit (as in, the max for a weapon we have now) weighs half as much as the weapon. That way, with disposable income you can stock up on extra ammo, and it also creates a strategic choice of more ammo <--> more guns. This way, the high damage/low ammo weapons don't instantly become overpowered, because you won't get as much bullets for the buck as with SMGs and ARs.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So I got to Hans for the first time after the patch and HOLY gently caress HIS MELEE. It's ridiculous. It's a 2shot on everyone bar lvl 25 berserkers, and he uses it so often, from such range and with so much homing it's obscene. We were a 6 man team stocked to the brim with ammo and explosions. Gas, grenades, gunfire, Hunt Mode, nothing even fazed us.

Every single one of us died to the 2-hit combo swing. The first hit ate through my 124 armour and left me with 36 HP. I've never seen him use it so often before.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Mr.48 posted:

Do you mean it ran well on respectable settings, or that it looked good visually on the lowest settings?

This is on everyithng low/medium, on a GTX 560Ti and a stunningly powerful Core 2 Duo with 4 gigs RAM I can play the game in 720p in silky smooth 40 fps if the Steam fps counter is to be believed. The game is really well optimised.

EDIT: Or so I thought it was 720p, it seems to be 1600x900 :v: I didn't touch the default settings too much.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 27, 2015

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Man, having tried Firebug, gotta say, the molotov has some weird loving arc to it. I guess it's there to cover more gound (with fire), but I've overshot enemies with it, especially on balconies, a few times now :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

QwertySanchez posted:

It'd be pretty awesome if they implemented some sort of water ripple shader for when there's that much blood on the floor. It's still just a decal but make it look like you're several inches deep in blood!

or Knee deep in the dead. :doomguy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLV2GhDGtzQ I think it's not in the game yet, but man it's coming.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What if doors came back after being broken, but only once per game?

Why not make doors come back after x waves? Like 3. This might encourage supports to start welding early on, and gave some more mileage to that one demo perk.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Metrohunter posted:

then you run away from the fleshpound to run into the scrake

I then drop all 5 of my Medic Grenades at my feet and pray for a bit.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

moot the hopple posted:

There's also the new deflecting effect on zeds with metal materials that's somewhat reduced support efficiency. I'm still surprised whenever I see a bullet ricocheting of a gorefast arm blade. Siren probably got the biggest buff because her metal harness lets her eat more bodyshots so now you really have to bear down on head shots.

I swear to god that Sirens metal harness is made in a way that's inconsistent with the visual model, which causes her to sometimes deflect bullets with her forehead. It's pretty bad rear end, but if I can't shoot her in the head reliably with the Medic Automated Sniper Rifle (also known as the Medic SMG), it really makes them a HUUUUGE threat.

As with like 90% of the mechanics in this game, this does not apply when you're Zerkin' tho.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Also, the Nailgun is great for clearing Bloats heads. And like 5-7 trash along with them.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I cheated Demo to 15 and I have no regrets. That skill should either be a level 5 choice, or a percentage chance rising with level (25% + 3%/level?).

Yeah it really should come earlier, maybe at level 10 since both the lvl 10 perks seem kinda "eh", and by then I got furious just how much the Siren is a wet blanket for the Demo. It just becomes not fun to play when there is one Zed who counters exactly everything you do.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

I still can't get over "I'm delicious!" and think of gorefasts as gingerbread men.

Snowman Husks were my favourite, because their model actually helped you headshot them as a Sharp :v: However the Stone Cold Ice Armor Scrakes were loving TERRYFYING.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Azran posted:

Yeah, I am pretty sure Demo is the worst perk right now but it shouldn't need anything more than number tweaking to make it better, unlike the Zerker's rework.

One change I'd really LOVE to see would be Sirens not destroying C4 that's already on the floor. As of now, you can hold your fire with all the other weapons, but that (expensive) precious trap you planted? Well the game decided it's time for a Siren so *poof* it's gone. And you have to tolerate this poo poo for 15 loving levels. This is why against all my principles and my actual liking of the game I waddled to a perk leveling server like a little baby, just so I could play Demo kinda sensibly.

Another thing that hit me is that welding is kinda and "eh" mechanic in this game. I don't ever feel encouraged to do so, because that time could be spent killing Zeds. And with the doors gone for good after their busted down, there's that "I might need that door later" factor. And again, Sirens destroying C4 on the ground doesn't even allow you to make traps with it, except for lots and lots of grenades. And the perk that lets you blow the doors upon busting them is going against the one perk you absolutely need to function as a demo past wave 3.

Demo's great fun when the game allows you to, but man does that come late in the XP curve :v:

Edit: So we can concur, there a lot of problems with Demo.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

I might be the only person who thinks this but man it takes ages to level stuff up in this game. I know it's a lot faster than KF1 but still. :negative:

Gotta move up to harder difficulties :v: And yeah it's like 100000x faster then KF1, I'd say that if you play your first 2-3 matches on normal, then move to Hard the level curve is actually pretty good up till lvls 14-15. Then it's Suicidal and HoE time.

QwertySanchez posted:

I hope sharpshooter or gunslinger gets some perk that stops their bullets ricocheting off parts of zeds and do damage instead. I hate it when I do my best to headshot a siren coming in from the distance only to see all the tracers go bouncing off somewhere into the distance with a clang!

Sharpshooter should get a perk that negates screen shake for easier headshot poppin even in the heat of the fight.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, even though you now can parry with the Eviscerator, the Pulverizer delivers more oomph and can help you a ton when taking down big guys. I guess the Eviscerator is there if you need to relegate the Zerker to trash cleaning duty, but at this point a server with at least a firebug who can take care of that is really rare.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Serdain posted:

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread 'cheating' their demo level up to 15 to make them a functional class.

I tried to do this by hosting both a solo offline and dedicated ranked server running kf-KillHans and kf-TestingMap but didn't appear to get any xp for either.

For the terminally dense, can someone please explain in simple terms how I can get this working?

The map is kf_timbosperktraining, and I found it by going to the server browser and looking for HoE servers. There are just a few servers of it though, so good luck.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I always thought that leveling is a stupid loving idea in games like that.
It'll always end up with cheaters, "un-viable" classes while they're below a certain level and people kicking players that have too low of a level in their eyes.

Yeah but it works well in KF2 to a degree. The classes are pretty varied in playstyle and most of them, even at level 0 differ in what they bring to the tables, the XP (as in, the only permanent reward you get for playing) doesn't differ as much between levels of difficutly, compared to say, Payday 2. I'd say that it works really good with the difficutly curve and steady progression, and it's really something you need for people to keep on playing. KF1 did it in the WORST way possible, Killing Floor 2 does it better. The only thing the levels change are numbers that make you kill faster and earn dosh more efficiently. The perks change the game a bit, but it's not like someone without a certain perk is complete trash - I'd say the classes in this game bring enough utility by just existing.

...unless you play Demo :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Ramsus posted:

How is this even a discussion when you can level a perk 0-25 in less than 2 mins on a perk trainer server.

You don't need some masterful grasp of map modding or downloading a map and installing it to the correct folder. Start the game, browse HOE servers, find one that spawns large groups of 1 hp hans that don't attack over and over.

Wait, wouldn't that mean 100% of the time It's Zed Time?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Maybe it could work like this - the primary thing only gives you class XP, but the secondary objective gives you "general XP" which you can then distribute as you see fit between classes. Kinda like the PD2 perk decks work. This way, if you feel like a class is too much poo poo, you can just play something you're comfortable with, focus on the secondary objective for a change of pace and level up your lovely class.

...hm i guess you can *kinda* do it like this just by picking up the poo poo class weapon :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

These are my thoughts, too. The classes should start with bonuses equivalent to their current level 10ish, then gain the difference between that and maxed out over the 25 levels. It would make the classes not-awful to play at the start, make difficulty choices actually difficulty choices and not just you compensating for your own power creep, and reduce the temptation for newbies and dinguses to cheat thus resulting in fewer braindead 25s.

Let me just tell you that coming from Payday 2, a game that reduced leveling to a laughing matter over a lot of patches, to tell you this:

There is literally NOTHING that TWI can make to reduce the number of braindead 25s or people cheating their way to Lvl25. Hell, they could probably make a nice buck by selling a "Shortcut DLC" for like 3 dollars that let you just level up all your perks to 25 instantly. Or better, make it a 0.99 dollar feature but make it work on one perk only.
It's just how some people play games and you just have to deal with it, and ignore that balance-wise.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I think I figured out why i die so much as a firebug. It must be because knocking Zeds over draws aggro, and I've started using the Microwave Gun secondary fire a lot to clear some trash around the big guys. So when I hit the big guys with it a little bit they are angry a small fry in a stupid hat tries to knock them over, so they instantly counter with a Chainsaw/Fleshpound Weapon to the face.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

ZearothK posted:

You're actually right. Bullet weapons are hitscan when outside zedtime and they slow for dramatic effect during zed time.

I don't think that's right with shotguns tho. Especially the Trench Gun.

Oh nvm you said bullet :suicide:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well if it was on fire, it might just have been a well timed last damage tick.

What I'm getting at is where's video of that?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Man I don't want to dogpile on you, but seriously, play at least at Hard. You gain like one level per Long game at least untill level 10. Enemies get some new attacks, and even more at Suicidal and HoE. I mean the fact that Clots (in 3 flavors this game) can grab and turn you makes cleaning trash a much more important thing than it even was in 1. Playing as Berserker alone means you get to experience a whole new world of blocking, parrying and going 1v1 against Scrakes and FPs and winning. Medics have finally gotten some new great weapons in form of the shotgun and the assault rifle, making them killing machines on par with other classes while allowing them to heal better then ever with the use of homing darts. Every class has their own grenades. There's a loving microwave gun.

I mean I understand why you can say that this is Killing Floor HD if you only play something like Commando or Support, cause that hasn't changed much. But this is a sequel through and through, not a port.

PS. I will still laugh at you though if you compare the XP system to "HIT 6000 HEADSHOTS ON JUMPING STALKERS WHILE ON FIRE TO LEVEL UP" bullshit that KF1 had and say "it's the same slow progression" cause that's just an outright lie.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Nebiros posted:

As a side note, Husks do the suicide charge on Normal and Hard too. Shoot at them with your pistol for a bit to trigger it, I think it's an HP threshold thing on earlier difficulties. Normal's funny for gimmicks and screwing with pubbies who freak out at the Commando running off alone with just a knife though.

All the Zeds do their special attacks as long as they have a head. With people aiming for headshots on Hard and above a suiciding Husk is a rare sight. Unless you have like 3 firebugs or so.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

gnome7 posted:

The nail gun's ricochet uses the exact same mechanics as bullet piercing does. For those not in the know, bullet piercing works like this: Every gun has a piercing value, and if the value is higher than the piercing resistance of a zed, it will pierce through that zed and reduce its piercing value by an amount equal to that zed's resistance, repeating until it hits a wall or a zed's piercing resistance is equal to/higher than the piercing value of the shot. This also reduces the damage of the bullet by a proportional amount to the missing resistance.

That's a bit complicated, so let's use an example. Let's say your shotgun has 4 Piercing because you're a leveled up Support. Clots have a Resistance of 1, so if you shoot through a clot, it deals 100% damage, drops your Piercing to 3, and keeps going. It hits a second Clot, deals only 75% damage to him because you're at 75% of your maximum Piercing value, drops your Piercing to 2, and keeps going. It hits a third clot, deals 50% damage, drops to 1 Piercing, and continues. It hits a fourth clot, deals 25% damage, and stops there.

The nailgun has Piercing 5, and uses 1 Piercing each time it ricochets off a wall. Its damage mechanics work exactly the same, but the ricochet feature is kind of rad because you can hit the same zed multiple times with a single bullet if the ricochet is favorable. So in a tight corridor, you can cause some crazy damage to a crowd with the shotgun mode, but its pretty unreliable. Still a fun gun.

It's a great addition to Berserker, it adds some chaos at a distance, because if you want something that's reliable, there's ye olde hammer to the face :black101:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What if like, doors came back, but once ever 3 waves or something like that?

I fully support this idea. I thought it was supposed to be like that since there a lot of places where Zeds have to go through several doors to get to the players, especially in Biotics Lab. So you'd weld one door for one wave, the second set for the other one, then man up for the 3rd wave and then the doors respawn. This might lead to some more camping, but it can't be a problem of either "useless welding, no camping" or "working welding, full on camp", there's got to be that magic spot where it works. Maybe make only the Big Zeds kill doors completely? That way welding could be at least used at the start of the game to funnel trash into bigger groups for more effective clearing.
Hell, that might make people take the Demo welding perHAHAHahahha not unless it's paired against something less essential then Siren Resistance.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Require More Fire posted:

Farm would be great with the KF2 lighting system. Think about how dark Catacombs gets and then imagine Farm like that. Just out in the field by the bonfire with just enough light to illuminate a few feet around you. :ohdear:

And then you have Firebugs, strolling through the fields and flaming the everloving poo poo out of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Firebug is also unreliable as the main damage source, mainly because he's not ammo efficient.

But for clearing trash, there is no equal.