Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Quick question - are you using the old translation patch or Gringe's new and improved one? If not I recommend switching, if only for your own interest and because it cleans up lots of errors in the original translation. Your save game should, I think, still be compatible.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41095

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Melth posted:

So by popular request, I grumblingly started using the better translation. And I was almost done writing up chapter 3 when I noticed this:

He's got like +5 to every stat. Many other people's stats were changed too.

I assumed this had to do with the translation IPS somehow and sure enough, switching it out for the old one restored him to the low stats he was supposed to have. But I only discovered that on the second-last turn of the chapter, so now I need to redo everything.

So that's why there's no update today. And unless there's some way to use the new translation (which I don't like so far anyway actually) without getting stat bonuses, that's why I'm going to stick with the old one afterall.

You downloaded the stats patch by accident. There's one without that, it improves things and fixes numerous bugs and errors. Give it a try and see what you think.

Sucks about chapters 1 and 2 admittedly but you could always just cheat the stats to the proper levels anyway. Heck if you want send me the savegame and I'll set it for you.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Zore posted:

No, the translation patch also just increases stats if put on an old save. There's a line about it in the link and everything.

Oh whoops. Totally forgot about that.

My point remains though. Start a new game, and you can just memory edit everyone's stats to how they were.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Once I used cheats in FE4 to mess around with lovers because a couple that i didn't want fell in love, and to make a long story short a bunch of the second generation ended up gay

You say it like using cheats was a bad idea.

The other option is prolly the simplest. Use the new and better translation, start over, show us the highlight reel of levels and start chapter 3 fresh.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Lord Ephraim posted:

Does the stats patch make magic tomes heavy again? I would be okay with it if every mage in the game wasn't super tiny Con wise.

The stats patch isn't great IIRC. Probably better than nothing but the changes are easy enough to make in nightmare yourself.

Honestly there isn't a great reskin/rebalance of... any GBAFE games actually. I'm putting together one of FE8 just for my own use and was looking to see what other folks had done, and there was like, 3 on SF, and most were unfinished. A shame, in my opinion. It's practically the easiest sort of patch to make because it requires next to no talent in the art or in the writing department. You don't have to make new maps, you might have to like, gently caress around with events but that's around it. Easy enough to do and surprising not many folks have done it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I think you are all being a little hyperbolic? I don't mind the text-heavy updates and haven't really noticed Melth picking overmuch on any one character.

Besides like Florina it didn't seem excessive.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Onmi posted:

But FE6 is probably, for one of its few shining points, a game that does it best, Barring a few nomads in these early chapters, Sacae is the exclusive place to get Nomad Troopers, Ilia is the exclusive place to get Pegasi, Bern is the exclusive place to get Dracoknights. I'm thinking personally about giving Pirates to the Western Isles and Mage Knights to Etruria, but I don't know what to do for Lycia.

Halberdiers and Snipers :v:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Very nice Melth! I never could quite figure out how to safely secure all the recruitables on this chapter.

Also Omni, you're giving the player 2 dancers?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I'd actually rather you do the harder route, if only to show that it can still be done.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Jesus gently caress that map looks awful to play.

Really really pretty though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Well of course she does; Clarine's promoted, has a horse, and over twice Sophia's speed

this Sophia's really bad and she's not great even on average, but you do gotta keep averages in mind when comparing people

Sophia would be a decent unit if, having the same growths, she had those level 20 stats at level 5.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

It's a real shame FE8 doesn't have a similar ranking system, I'd love to see you do a run trying to amass as much funds and XP in the lowest possible turns, though without the rigour of a ranking system it'd be way more work since you'd have to set up the ranks and balance them as well.

Or just go for the best possible really. Might be worth considering?

Plus I really like your story analyses as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Lunatic is very tedious and Lunatic+ is lame because it adds semi random enemy only super skills on top of that

I really do wish there was a difficulty between Lunatic and Hard. Enemies almost never have any skills even on lunatic, which is a drat shame as it'd go a long way to making the maps and enemy forces and bosses feel more interesting.

Give enemies a bunch of skills but keep hard mode stats and I'd be content.

• Locked thread