Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

AOTY is gonna be a bloodbath this year....

I hope Sharkey remembers to make the aoty thread that will have discussions, instead of the typical pyf thread old adtrw would have, where debate is not allowed

I wanna see blood!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

In Training posted:

AOTY is gonna be a bloodbath this year....

Yes it will. Because Shirobako is going to slaughter everything else.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

"Snafu Season Poo" <-- sneak preview of some of the flames I'll be laying down in the AOTY thread

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I liked SNAFU when they were laying down own on those other school retards, but that wasn't enough of it for me to give it a good review, yeah.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

don't reply to in training as he is a retarded troll that needs to work on the quality of his burns

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
In Training is gonna vote for Haruhi but dammit that doesn't count!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sorry for trolling. Snafu is actually on my to watch list.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

Sorry for trolling. Snafu is actually on my to watch list.

ahh the ol' in training "it's on my watch list" troll

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

*glances over at unopened 100 GB folder titled "-Gataris" on my hard drive* Mad? :troll:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Davincie posted:

my love story isn't the anime of the season (working)or of the year (shirobako or snafu S2). nor is is it the best series by that author (koukou debut) or by that studio (chihayafuru). also i prefer the manga
Oh drat how did I forget about Working, yeah MLS could easily be 4th or 5th in my list then.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Shimoneta might well get my vote. It's not as objectively good as other shows that I watched this year, but I will be damned if I didn't look forward to watching it every week in a way that I didn't get with the others.

I experienced it with Oregairu to some degree but part of that was that my IRC buddy was watching it at the same time and I had to watch it as soon as Commie released it to keep up.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i feel i've made a mistake in having watched neither shirobako, shimoneta, nor euphonium

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Gyra_Solune posted:

i feel i've made a mistake in having watched neither shirobako, shimoneta, nor euphonium

Sound Euphonium is one of those things that I'm kind of getting around to watching eventually, but what I've seen so far is quality.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Euphonium is pretty but boring.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Euphonium is a great bit of understated drama, and it's pretty as gently caress. In almost any other year, it'd be a strong contender, but Shirobako.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

Rectify that, fool

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

After reading all this AOTY talk: Did you guys forget that Death Parade came out this year or were you all just not fans of it?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I stopped watching death parade about halfway through. I dunno why, it wasn't bad I just didn't feel drawn to keep watching

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I liked what I saw of it but after a few episodes I decided to wait until it finished, and then became really busy.

I wanna go back to it, sometime.

2015 has been an incredible year for anime overall, especially when counting stuff from 2014 that ended in 2015.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

After reading all this AOTY talk: Did you guys forget that Death Parade came out this year or were you all just not fans of it?

I was excited and then disappointed at the clumsy world-building and never got past episode 3 or 4. Great OP tho.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

JordanKai posted:

It's really pretty from an animation standpoint, and it raises a lot of grand concepts, then abandons them to tell a much more contained/personal story. This creates a kind of weird effect where if it had just been solely focused on the small stuff it would have been a better show, and if it had managed to totally integrate the grand stuff and the personal stuff it would have been a great show, but instead they a) it didn't integrate them very well and b) the grand story is left totally open, a sequel hook to a show which feels like it has no prospect of a sequel.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

JordanKai posted:

Death Parade had a lotta wasted potential but the stuff that was there was rad as hell, especially the last judgement and amnesia girl's backstory. The ice-skating scene was a really beautiful way to handle a flashback.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

JordanKai posted:

I need to see a list of all available shows but I think it would make my top 5.

But we should all save our posting power for the end of the year thread where we can talk about our favorite shows.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

dmboogie posted:

Death Parade had a lotta wasted potential but the stuff that was there was rad as hell,

This is where I stand on the matter as well. Even though Death Parade could've definitely been a lot better I still think the show we ended up with is incredible.

Shirobako and My Love Story are also really good though so yeah, it's a good year for anime so far.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

JordanKai posted:

It was simulcasted by Funimation, so no, I didn't watch it yet.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

dmboogie posted:

Death Parade had a lotta wasted potential but the stuff that was there was rad as hell, especially the last judgement and amnesia girl's backstory. The ice-skating scene was a really beautiful way to handle a flashback.

Pretty much yeah. I liked it a lot, but it didn't quite execute everything as well as it could have.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JordanKai posted:

This is where I stand on the matter as well. Even though Death Parade could've definitely been a lot better I still think the show we ended up with is incredible.

I think they were hoping to get a second cour with all the excess stuff they left dangling in the background. Frankly I'm hoping they get one too :allears:.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

sound euph was one of my favorites of the year so far :3:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

sound euph was one of my favorites of the year so far :3:

:yeah:

It, Non Non Biyori & Shirobako are a mighty set of animes to have in one year!!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
When Death Parade brought its A game, it was just about sublime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got annoyed by Death Parades weird judgemental morality and didn't make it past like episode 3, people seemed to think that maybe that was the point but I didn't feel like sticking around long enough to find out.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sakurazuka posted:

I got annoyed by Death Parades weird judgemental morality and didn't make it past like episode 3, people seemed to think that maybe that was the point but I didn't feel like sticking around long enough to find out.

Yeah, it ended up being a plot point that his decisions weren't ideal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Allarion posted:

Yeah, it ended up being a plot point that his decisions weren't ideal.

And, indeed, that the framework he was required to make his decisions in was pretty fundamentally flawed and crumbling around the edges.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's also kind of funny that after people were clamoring for a sequel for so long Durarara might not even make a lot of people's top 5 given the competition.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nate RFB posted:

It's also kind of funny that after people were clamoring for a sequel for so long Durarara might not even make a lot of people's top 5 given the competition.

I didn't actually realize that X2 had only started this year, albeit in January.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wanted Death Parade to just be twilight zone style short films, which lasted for exactly one episode and then it started spooling out all this needless exposition and junk and I stopped watching after 4 episodes or so. Very pretty and a killer OP though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

It's not ending this year tho? But yea it rules.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Forget the year end discussions, how about the season. I watched Insight, Ore Mono, Working!!! and Wakako-zake and thoroughly enjoyed them all. Any other highlights this season

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Snow White with the Red Hair is the best shojo show since... well probably Kamisama Kiss which was like a few months ago. Still really great.

This season had a ridiculous number of good shows though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

kater posted:

This season had a ridiculous number of good shows though.

Yeah, I watched a stupid number of shows this season, and even the ones I dropped weren't that bad, particularly. This was probably the best summer season in years. Of course Fall is looking bleak, so...

quote:

Forget the year end discussions, how about the season. I watched Insight, Ore Mono, Working!!! and Wakako-zake and thoroughly enjoyed them all. Any other highlights this season

I would add:

Durarara!
Non Non Biyori
Sore ga Seiyu
Prison School

Earlier in the season I would have suggested Rokka, but the ending was that bad. Gangsta started out pretty OK and then I lost interest. Gintama is still great if you've watched the backlog of hundreds of episodes or whatever. Arslan is decent but I wish they had waited for the manga to get further ahead because it's basically superior in every respect. Maybe Rinne if you've got a nostalgic Ranma boner or Ushio and Tora if you want to really relive the 90s.

• Locked thread