Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Oh that scene

Aurain posted:

It's probably more to show innocence and purity rather than anything remotely sexual about it.

Well yeah kind of. The point of that scene is obviously to make you feel very uncomfortable, and you're probably supposed to get an impression of a pretty heavy violation of personal space rather than any kind of "sexual tension" or whatever. Of course the scene plays on the reader's expectations though, be they Japanese or American or whoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Ytlaya posted:

DIO strikes me as the sort of villain who would actually become super depressed if he managed to finally kill off his arch-nemesis (or in this case his arch-nemesis's bloodline).

Well he did seem to be in almost disbelief for a moment when Jonathan finally died, even though he killed Jonathan himself.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
There is a "complete" translation of part 5, but said translation is pretty bad and only gets worse. It's being retranslated, but the new translation is only 1/3 done. You won't miss anything REALLY significant, overall plot-wise, by skipping part 5.

That said, don't skip part 5.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
That is indeed the Invincible Trio's translation. Or maybe I should put "translation" in quotes because they're still basically using the Duwang translation, just edited to sound more like English.

Jojo's Colored Adventure in turn uses the Invincible Trio's translation almost as is, but fixes some errors like pumpkins and showing bodies.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Xibanya posted:

"Where is Okuyasu?" Koichi asks. (Rhetorically, I assume, to point out that Okuyasu could still pose a threat, seeing as after he got up when Josuke healed him he said he didn't remember how he got inside the house.)
"Why, do you want to look?" lol just this right here. This is awesome characterization since it brings Josuke back from saint to teenager. Josuke knows very well why Okuyasu's location might be of interest but there are only three outcomes of looking for Okuyasu.

This dialogue seemed so off that I thought I'd check the Japanese. All the speech bubbles in that panel actually belong to Josuke. Here's a slightly overly literal translation:

"「Bow and arrow」? Okuyasu's older brother... must have hidden them somewhere, but..."
"You're going to look for the~em?"
"I'm pretty sure they said their father is here. I... just remembered that."
"I'm hurt pretty bad, I'd rather not meet him right now."

Close enough to get the meaning across I guess, but I wish at least the Colored scans had done some basic TL checking instead of just using the Invincible Trio version almost as is.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 30, 2015

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, it's understandable that they don't want to spend too much effort since the translation is pretty decent overall, but all they would have really needed is someone to skim through the chapter in Japanese and fix the lines that are basically completely wrong. The IT version doesn't seem to require a full retranslation or anything, but it does still have some unintended leftover Duwangisms that I wish Colored would have gotten rid of.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

alcharagia posted:

I can't wait to hear about how Dio comes back, and by what artifice, and how it's all Jonathan's fault for being a dumbass.

Was it worth it?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Roughly speaking SDC has some of the lowest lows and the highest highs in the series, and you just watched the lows

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Telltolin posted:

Also hope to see a translation of that soon

What's with the scrap of paper?
In this clip there's a scene where Josuke picks up a scrap of paper while on a stroll in the town. In the next moment, the scrap suddenly transforms...! Look forward to stuff like this or whatever.

Not exactly riveting spoilers or anything

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Xibanya posted:

Really the last page of Surface 5? Seems kinda sudden to me.

Yep

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there enough difference between the two for parts 1 to 3 to make it worth it?
It's just a comic, sparing a few hours of your day is hardly significant enough to worry about whether it's "worth it".

Jyrraeth posted:

I don't want to get burned out on anime. :ohdear:
I don't understand why some people think like this. The only thing that comes to mind is that people are afraid they'll end up liking the source material better so they'd prefer to stay ignorant in order to like the adaptation more, but that doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Moltrey posted:

sometimes consuming a lot of thing you like in a short amount of time can make you not like a thing as much. this isn't a weird concept.

Oh that kind of burned out. But it's still months until it even airs- oh right gently caress it's not even two.

Well I guess that's a point, but honestly reading DiU takes like a day or two anyway.

• Locked thread