Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Orbital is really good, but the song from that scene is a New Order remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udn51qJwDvY

I went nuts to that song as a teen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snak posted:

I like the part where the Vatican sends a slayer to do something, and the Hellsing guys get really mad because THIS IS A PROTESTANT LAND and act like they are two feuding wizard schools.

This is 100% accurate to actual Catholic/Protestant relations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

This is 100% accurate to actual Catholic/Protestant relations.

Right, but they aren't using actual Christian magic against vampires.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snak posted:

Well it depends on your definition of vampires
And magic

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snak posted:

I've met people who literally honestly sincerely believe Catholic and Jewish people have tiny devil horns that they obscure with their thick Mediterranean hair or get surgically removed at birth and because of that I think there's definitely people who at least are REALLY SURE they can use actual Christian magic against vampires.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

I've met people who literally honestly sincerely believe Catholic and Jewish people have tiny devil horns that they obscure with their thick Mediterranean hair or get surgically removed at birth and because of that I think there's definitely people who at least are REALLY SURE they can use actual Christian magic against vampires.

This is fair.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I literally started to grow a horn when I was a baby. I'd bumped my head or something and apparently knocked a piece of skull off which started growing by itself (stem cells are pretty intense). Eventually my dad opened up the wound and picked out the growing bone splinter.

Anyway the horn thing is kindof weird in itself, whether it's good or bad. In the rennaissance they'd often depict Moses with horns due to a very specific translation of the bible. Check out Michelangelo's sculpture of Moses.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's true, after he meets God, Moses is said to have a "radiant" visage, which at the time Michaelangelo made the sculture was read as "horned."

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

It's true, after he meets God, Moses is said to have a "radiant" visage, which at the time Michaelangelo made the sculture was read as "horned."

Yeah, mistranslations like that affect society in a big way when it's a book so many people revere and don't bother to retranslate. The "jews have horns" trope comes from a dumb language error and still lives on.
*Hell got translated as hades which the greeks and jews raised in greek culture took to mean literal Hades: a horrible afterlife with a powerful ruler: hence imagery of the devil ruling a firey hell with a pitchfork which is entirely non canon (the demonic forces rule nothing, they just burn forever - non "saved" humans probably just vanish from existence after judgement day)
*The "Obey" in a woman's wedding vows is a mistranslation: read the original verses and it implies the husband is to do the heavy lifting in the relationship.
*Divorce only in case of infidelity ignores that Jesus was talking about the third type of divorce: 1/abuse divorce, 2/neglect divorce, 3/other reason divorce
*I think i read that Christ healed a centurions male lover-slave but since it's just translated as slave, folks don't know that he healed a homosexual without damning him.

So folks who yell that gays are going to burn in hell while satan prods them are wrong about hell, satan ruling it and being gay being a burnable offense (though monogamy is still a big deal).
Those who justify abuse in a marriage because you've gotta obey your husband and can't divorce unless he's been unfaithful are also super wrong all because of some dumb long corrected translations errors.

Makes you want to reread the constitution (or your local equivalent) with the best translation and context possible... just in case.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

so can blade still kill vampires or what this is the important question

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

88h88 posted:

Those glasses were kinda a 'thing' for one particular set of dance music producers in the UK called Orbital. I'd like to think that was a little nod to them in the film.

Seems you can actually buy them from Orbital's site!
http://orbitalofficial.bigcartel.com/product/orbital-head-torch-glasses

these don't look quite the same, they seem to be part of the glasses where his one looks like a completely seperate rig

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What media does the whole "vampire Illuminati" thing outside Blade and the white wolf rpgs?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

What media does the whole "vampire Illuminati" thing outside Blade and the white wolf rpgs?

Every vampire setting ever?

No really I can't think of one that doesn't have it in some form. Almost every fantasy/scifi premise that has faction of immortals has them acting like some kind of Illuminati.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Snak posted:

No really I can't think of one that doesn't have it in some form. Almost every fantasy/scifi premise that has faction of immortals has them acting like some kind of Illuminati.

I can think of settings like Highlander and Dracula where immortals occupy positions of prestige and power, but outside of Blade and WoD I don't know of any that do the whole "shadowy vampire government that secretly rules the world" shtick.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons is a great novel that features a kind of vampire illuminati.

the also great Joe Pitt novels by Charlie Huston feature a vampire criminal underworld sorta similar to Blade's.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pope Guilty posted:

I can think of settings like Highlander and Dracula where immortals occupy positions of prestige and power, but outside of Blade and WoD I don't know of any that do the whole "shadowy vampire government that secretly rules the world" shtick.

Dresden Files does a pretty convincing set of 'vampires rule the world' (well, the bits that wizards don't, anyway) stuff.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

yeah I mean if you get technically about the differences between immortals secretly occupying positions of power and functioning "like" (the fictional construct of) the Illuminati.

Buffy/Angel setting is also kinda like this, but it's not just vampires, since there're demons and other immortals running things who consider vampire pretty low on the totem pole.

In Daybreakers basically everyone is vampires, so I guess that doesn't count.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I literally started to grow a horn when I was a baby. I'd bumped my head or something and apparently knocked a piece of skull off which started growing by itself (stem cells are pretty intense). Eventually my dad opened up the wound and picked out the growing bone splinter.

Anyway the horn thing is kindof weird in itself, whether it's good or bad. In the rennaissance they'd often depict Moses with horns due to a very specific translation of the bible. Check out Michelangelo's sculpture of Moses.

You could have had a badass horn by now?

Your dad is a jerk.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Snak posted:

Anita Blake Vampire Humper and True Blood technically don't, in that supernatural creatures don't outright hide anymore.

e: I mean in those cases there's no reason why they have to hide, but they still play politics I'm sure so that might be "illuminati" to you. But simply killing them on sight would be considered murder in those fictional universes afaik.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 28, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Two Finger posted:

these don't look quite the same, they seem to be part of the glasses where his one looks like a completely seperate rig

Duct tape and cheapo $2 flashlights.

...and I wasn't suggesting they were the same, rather that I think it was a nod to Orbital. And that you could buy Orbital's.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I don't want to take over your thread Fat Lou, but it seems like you have a lot going on so I'm going to try and field an update. Last we saw, Dragonetti had just slapped Deacon Frost in the server room, saying "you bore me." Draconetti walks away, perhaps a little shaken from Deacon's attitude. Deacon Frost puts on his headphones again, sighs, and listens to rad techno while the computers decipher the old blood language.

New Scene: Blade doesn't give a poo poo, he just guns it in his rad american car. Luckily the crowd manages to evade.

Dropping Karen off, Blade tells Karen to get out of town, but volunteers a bit of advice: "Keep your eyes open, they're everywhere." – "but it's daytime!" Karen protests, but Blade doesn't care, he's cool as gently caress & speeds off. Our heroine gets in line for the elevator, but lo, in front of her:

Karen gets off the elevator, and the two now identified minions block the closing door to follow her. Sounds of foodsteps layering up while Karen looks over her shoulder, walking a bit faster for every moment. She subtly slips out Whistler's mace from her purse and turns around to blast them – they're gone. You can hear the buzzer of a door somewhere. Now that I think about it, that probably means there's minions living there right in the building.

Anyway she gets into her apartment which is intensely beautiful and more expensive than I can imagine. She checks her phone messages & starts to pack, following Blade's advice.

As she packs, noices start to creep in and she pauses, thinking: Anybody there? I guess not. She decides to keep packing, but the noise comes back. Karen looks up and just observes the door from her bedroom to her apt. hallway. All is silent, and then this goof shows up: a white cop shows up, just walking into her bedroom.

Keywords: Race, paranoia, privacy.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Look out he's trying to take over your thread, Fat Lou!!
This is a job for...Blade

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Look out he's trying to take over your thread, Fat Lou!!
This is a job for...Blade

But which one? Movie Blade, 1970s comic book Blade, modern comic book Blade, 90s Spiderman cartoon Blade, video game Blade, TV live action Blade or 'anime' Blade?

Hopefully it's a job for 90s Spiderman cartoon cartoon Blade, he has a lightsaber and a motorbike that can drive up walls. He's awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUZ8FsvqQ08

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hopefully it's a job for 90s Spiderman cartoon cartoon Blade, he has a lightsaber and a motorbike that can drive up walls. He's awesome.

He's also practically white.

edit: For those who didn't watch the video on youtube:

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 3, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

But which one? Movie Blade, 1970s comic book Blade, modern comic book Blade, 90s Spiderman cartoon Blade, video game Blade, TV live action Blade or 'anime' Blade?

Taking over someone's thread is some Jive Turkey poo poo, so definitely 1970s comic book Blade. Hopefully Snapchat A Titty and Fat Lou can beat the chops so this is groovy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some motherfuckers are always trying to drive uphill

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snak posted:

He's also practically white.

Yeah I did a double take when he appeared on screen the first time but he looks slightly less white when he takes that dumb helmet off. That's not quite a hi-top haircut but it's in the ballpark. I guess it's hard to animate a fade.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 3, 2015

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's a great scene write up, Snapchat a Titty! I figure you keep doing then and Fat Lou can fight you for the thread if he wants to. Fight to involve cool vampires, motorcycles.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Dropping Karen off, Blade tells Karen to get out of town, but volunteers a bit of advice: "Keep your eyes open, they're everywhere." – "but it's daytime!" Karen protests, but Blade doesn't care, he's cool as gently caress & speeds off. Our heroine gets in line for the elevator, but lo, in front of her:

According to a wiki, this is the glyph for Dragonetti. It could be that these two are here under orders of Frost... or maybe they coincidentally live in the same building.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ninja Gamer posted:

According to a wiki, this is the glyph for Dragonetti. It could be that these two are here under orders of Frost... or maybe they coincidentally live in the same building.

That wiki article is mess though. It says that each house has their own glyph, and then lists a bunch of glyph associated with tribes. Glyphs for houses aren't listed, and there's no source for that Glyph being Dragonetti. The article says that the Vampires in Blade 1 are from the House of Erebus. If houses have glyphs, the glyphs attributed to Tribe Dragonetti could just as easily belong House Erebus. (There's no Erebus glyph in the article)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I always read that scene as Blade killing or otherwise incapacitating those two familiars as he's tailing Karen the whole time to get a better lead on Frost's plans.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 4, 2015

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
I'm down for anyone and everyone doing a scene by scene analysis of Blade!
So long as you have screencaps and commentary. Go hog wild. We will eat you if we disagree.

I just figured the two familiars live there and it's a way for the movie to tell us that familiars are everywhere. Those two aren't Frost's so they don't give a poo poo. Blade's too busy being all stealth to kill two non-threatening human familiars.

Yeah I did a double take when he appeared on screen the first time but he looks slightly less white when he takes that dumb helmet off. That's not quite a hi-top haircut but it's in the ballpark. I guess it's hard to animate a fade.

There were plenty of animated black hairdos in cartoons - doesn't the Green Lantern have a fade like Blade?
I remember Ghostbusters, Captain Planet has a black planeteer with a hairdo like Blade's, there was a Mr T cartoon and of course the Harlem Globetrotters.
But why on earth is Blade white? It makes no sense.
Oh poo poo, can white Blade blush?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of Dragonetti and the House of Erebus and glyphs, how much of the stuff in Blade is actually from the comics? Like, I know Blade and Deacon Frost are in the comics (even if really different) and I know Whistler was invented for the movie (probably Karen too, I'd imagine) but how much of the surrounding vampire lore, Blade's backstory/tactics, etc., were invented directly for the movie? I remember reading how when the movie came out they changed Blade in the comics to be a lot more like he was in the movie, but don't really know the specifics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chairman Capone posted:

Speaking of Dragonetti and the House of Erebus and glyphs, how much of the stuff in Blade is actually from the comics? Like, I know Blade and Deacon Frost are in the comics (even if really different) and I know Whistler was invented for the movie (probably Karen too, I'd imagine) but how much of the surrounding vampire lore, Blade's backstory/tactics, etc., were invented directly for the movie? I remember reading how when the movie came out they changed Blade in the comics to be a lot more like he was in the movie, but don't really know the specifics.

Very little. Until the film Blade was lame as gently caress.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Rhyno posted:

Very little. Until the film Blade was lame as gently caress.

So he's the black Iron Man in other words.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DeusExMachinima posted:

So he's the black Iron Man in other words.

Nah, Iron Man had several very good runs years before the film.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Thank you for picking this up. I assume that at some point I will have a normal person life in the future, but in the short term I actually have two days off in a row this Wednesday and Thursday, so I MIGHT continue it if I have the energy.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
On the talk of what a new Blade series should be like I'm gonna go off the rails and say I'd love to see a series with Blade and his Howling Commandos or a Midnight Sons series. The Howling Commandos have shown up in the Ultimate Spider Man and Hulk and the Agents of SMASH so they are somewhat relevant as agents of SHIELD, and the Midnight Sons would be a good way to pass the torch of Ghost Rider from Blaze to Danny.

As for the movies, I got my hands on the set that has all three movies and what was shown of the HBO? series. I still only watch Blade 1 & 2 and am still aggravated to this day that they didn't utilize Donnie Yen more in the second movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

On the talk of what a new Blade series should be like I'm gonna go off the rails and say I'd love to see a series with Blade and his Howling Commandos or a Midnight Sons series. The Howling Commandos have shown up in the Ultimate Spider Man and Hulk and the Agents of SMASH so they are somewhat relevant as agents of SHIELD, and the Midnight Sons would be a good way to pass the torch of Ghost Rider from Blaze to Danny.

As for the movies, I got my hands on the set that has all three movies and what was shown of the HBO? series. I still only watch Blade 1 & 2 and am still aggravated to this day that they didn't utilize Donnie Yen more in the second movie.

He wasn't even supposed to be in it. He was one of the many choreographers they had and ended up in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

So that blood rave tribute party sure happened

http://www.factmag.com/2015/10/13/blade-blood-rave-photos/

• Locked thread