Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Thank goodness Pearl survived Blade's UV lamp interrogation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowman_McK posted:

He wasn't even supposed to be in it. He was one of the many choreographers they had and ended up in the movie.

See also - Highlander: Endgame

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Do you think Donnie Yen just gets frustrated that he can do his choreography better than the actors who are supposed to and is just like "can I just do it?" or maybe it's the other way around and they are just like "just do it yourself, why am I even in this movie?"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Snak posted:

Do you think Donnie Yen just gets frustrated that he can do his choreography better than the actors who are supposed to and is just like "can I just do it?" or maybe it's the other way around and they are just like "just do it yourself, why am I even in this movie?"

It's not like he's a bad actor either

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Donnie Yen is current favorite martial arts star. He's just loving great. For anyone who hasn't seen Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zen, Donnie Yen plays the titular character, and basically just does a Bruce Lee tribute. Obviously there are plenty of scenes that are pure Donnie Yen, but he ends up in a couple of trademark Bruce Lee outfits and uses nunchucks for the final fight.

Also he's fighting Mike Tyson in Ip Man 3 which is going to be :psyduck:

He's saying it's gonna be his last film, but I'm hoping he just switches to less epic, more subdued roles.

Also really looking forward to the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel's American release.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

See also - Highlander: Endgame

Yen basically pulled off a miracle with that movie, considering Bruce Payne had no idea what he was doing with a sword and Lambert was practically immobile at that point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It was such a waste of his talent too because of how limply set up the fights are in that movie in general. "It looks like you've lost your edge!"

Fun trivia, in preview features for Endgame Adrian Paul goes ON AND ON about how awesome Donnie Yen is (rightfully so) but then also talks about this huge big deal fight scene between him and Yen that has a build up of them both being masters but having to feel out and adapt to each other's radically different styles before really going in and how great they did at acting and showing personality through the fight that......he made up? It's nowhere to be found either version or in special features and their characters are on screen together for like three seconds.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 14, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Two Finger posted:

It's not like he's a bad actor either

It is. It really is. After seeing Special ID, he seems like a choreographer with a lot of good ideas that have to make their way past a lot of bad ones on the way out of his brain. In Flash Point, he expertly fused modern sports martial arts, grappling and traditional stuff into something really kinetic and rad. In Special ID, he just has a bad grappling fight with another bad grappler.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Most of the fault of Special ID is because it's shot really badly on an obviously staged battleground. It's also got a much lighter tone overall.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Flash Point is such a ridiculous and brutal movie. It's honestly not very good but has really good fight scenes. The scene where someone delivers a whole turkey to the police party and the chief is like "oh great, I'll warm it up!" and then puts the whole thing in the microwave, as if that's a perfectly normal thing to do is :psyduck:

Then of course there's a bomb in it and the horrible cgi explosion is in like slo-mo bullet-time so you can see exactly how bad it looks.

There's also a scene where someone gets shot in the pelvis with a high caliber rifle and it somehow sends them flying 10 feet straight up in the air to land back where they were.

Everyone should watch this movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Killzone SPL will always be Yen's best movie. Hong Kong shot like a neon urban hell, melodrama for days, insane finishing fight, it's got it all.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Killzone SPL will always be Yen's best movie. Hong Kong shot like a neon urban hell, melodrama for days, insane finishing fight, it's got it all.

There's a sequel (in the sense that it had the same name) anyone know if it's any good?

Also, yes, SPL is hilariously melodramatic.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

It is. It really is. After seeing Special ID, he seems like a choreographer with a lot of good ideas that have to make their way past a lot of bad ones on the way out of his brain. In Flash Point, he expertly fused modern sports martial arts, grappling and traditional stuff into something really kinetic and rad. In Special ID, he just has a bad grappling fight with another bad grappler.

i thought he was top notch in Ip Man for what it's worth

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I was already vaguely aware of this (because Cat III action movies are reasonably rare) but you just got me way more interested. Is this on streaming anywhere?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

I just watched it this past weekend and it was awesome.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Two Finger posted:

The first Ip Man is a really fantastic movie. I am in a minority in thinking that the second one is not very good. The second one has cool fight scenes, but its story is even more garbage than the first one.

Ip Man is cool because it has fight scenes of every tone. From completely friendly competition, to teaching the northerner a lesson in humility, to brutally destroying the Japanese soldiers, both in and out of the ring. Teaching the factory workers to fight back against the bandits. I felt like the fight scenes interacted with the tone of the story in an effective way.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Snak posted:

The first Ip Man is a really fantastic movie. I am in a minority in thinking that the second one is not very good. The second one has cool fight scenes, but its story is even more garbage than the first one.

Ip Man is cool because it has fight scenes of every tone. From completely friendly competition, to teaching the northerner a lesson in humility, to brutally destroying the Japanese soldiers, both in and out of the ring. Teaching the factory workers to fight back against the bandits. I felt like the fight scenes interacted with the tone of the story in an effective way.

no i don't think that's really a minority opinion, the first was a good story against a historical background that played pretty loose with it admittedly, the second was rah-rah chinese nationalism the whole way through. I could barely stomach it which sucked, because I am a huge fan of the first.
and as i say, i liked how donnie yen played it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I have just seen the first Ip Man and that had plenty of nationalism at the end. The closing titles made it sound like he almost singlehandedly inspired national resistance against the Japanese. It left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, since it was so far removed from the fun kung fu movie it was it was in the beginning.

If it goes totally overboard with the nationalism I am actually intrigued by the sequel though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ip Man 2 was overall weaker than the first film, but the final fight was much stronger. But then, I'm a sucker for fights where the combatants have very distinct styles.

Killzone is really good, but it's no Iron Monkey.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I have just seen the first Ip Man and that had plenty of nationalism at the end. The closing titles made it sound like he almost singlehandedly inspired national resistance against the Japanese. It left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, since it was so far removed from the fun kung fu movie it was it was in the beginning.

If it goes totally overboard with the nationalism I am actually intrigued by the sequel though.

It came across as "look at this noble Chinese man inspiring others to also be noble and the brutal British oppressors who are cruel and mean and beat old men to death in unfair fights but are beaten by Chinese nobleness " and literally ends with ip making a speech about how humble he is.

I mean, yeah the British Empire did some nasty poo poo but they really took it to extremes I felt.

They just overplayed it really, making the brit boxer yell about how proud he was to have beaten the guy to death and getting in cheap shots after the bell was rung, then the referees pointlessly handicapping ip and so on.

That said, there is some incredible choreography in it particularly in the fight between ip and the other master

As to the first, well I gave it a bit more of a pass since they used him as a fictional rallying point in an occupied city against an enemy that - let's be fair - was far worse in reality than was shown in the film. One man refusing to bend and beating the leader of the enemy in single combat is a cliche, sure, but it worked for me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ip Man 2 is literally the plot of Rocky 4 transposed from the cold war to British colonialism. Yes Ip Man 1 was very romanticized and definitely blatant with it's themes, but Ip Man 2 doesn't even have subtext, it's just in your face.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Could Donnie Yen beat up Wesley snipes

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Two Finger posted:

Could Donnie Yen beat up Wesley snipes
Easily.

He's going to beat up Mike Tyson in Ip Man 3.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Snak posted:

Easily.

He's going to beat up Mike Tyson in Ip Man 3.

I'm really certain I remember reading an interview where he said he was done with the franchise, and also that there was a third film already (maybe a prequel?)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Two Finger posted:

I'm really certain I remember reading an interview where he said he was done with the franchise, and also that there was a third film already (maybe a prequel?)

Yeah. I read that interview. There is already a third one but it's not called Ip Man 3. Now Donnie Yen is making Ip Man 3 and he's going to fight Mike Tyson. I am not making this up, here is the teaser

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Two Finger posted:

Aside from the ridiculously one sided final fight and the literal worship of him by a crowd, yeah, Ip Man is pretty solid.
And the sequel has probably the most mean-spirited character death ever, it's fantastic.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 21, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

Aside from the ridiculously one sided final fight and the literal worship of him by a crowd, yeah, Ip Man is pretty solid.

Eh. The point of the final fight is that it's ridiculously one-sided. Ip Man turns his opponent into a Wing Chun dummy. Wing Chun is the perfect martial art to portray resistance to oppression. I really want to see a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon style movie based on the origin legend of Wing Chun. The story goes that a princess, Yim Wing Chun, did not want to marry this badass, but because she was super hardcore, she told him if he could beat her in a fight, she might reconsider. Then she trained with a Shaolin monk who invented a new style of kung fu specifically for a woman to beat a larger, stronger man. She won, then married a guy that she actually like and trained him her new martial art. He named it after her.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snak posted:

Eh. The point of the final fight is that it's ridiculously one-sided.
things that are deliberately bad are still bad

quote:

. I really want to see a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon style movie based on the origin legend of Wing Chun. The story goes that a princess, Yim Wing Chun, did not want to marry this badass, but because she was super hardcore, she told him if he could beat her in a fight, she might reconsider. Then she trained with a Shaolin monk who invented a new style of kung fu specifically for a woman to beat a larger, stronger man. She won, then married a guy that she actually like and trained him her new martial art. He named it after her.
I do want to see this movie, though.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Snak posted:

really want to see a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon style movie based on the origin legend of Wing Chun. The story goes that a princess, Yim Wing Chun, did not want to marry this badass, but because she was super hardcore, she told him if he could beat her in a fight, she might reconsider. Then she trained with a Shaolin monk who invented a new style of kung fu specifically for a woman to beat a larger, stronger man. She won, then married a guy that she actually like and trained him her new martial art. He named it after her.
While not as dramatic as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The movie you're asking for was already made in 1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXXVREeuX-I

It's up on Netflix as well:

http://www.netflix.com/watch/112687...4fd777ceffb0378

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

G-III posted:

While not as dramatic as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The movie you're asking for was already made in 1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXXVREeuX-I

It's up on Netflix as well:

http://www.netflix.com/watch/112687...4fd777ceffb0378

holy poo poo. Michelle Yeoh, loving sold. I will have to watch this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wing Chun is my second favorite movie with Michelle Yeoh in it after The Heroic Trio. I'm glad to hear they have it on Netflix. For a while they only had a mega crap Wing Chun movie from 2012 available.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hakkesshu posted:

Having just rewatched it last week I think the original TMNT might be the best comic book movie ever made, but Blade certainly doesn't get enough credit for what it did. I hate the sequels, but the original really was something else, I don't recall many other films quite like it.

I actually agree with this, especially if you were into the comic prior to the cartoon, where the themes were quite dark and satirical, closer to Judge Dredd. TMNT 1990 was really respectful to the source material, and even managed to play it straight with the whole 90s gangs are the end of the world poo poo. Weird to think how badly critics panned it at the time; there was just zero frame of reference for something like that.

Also weird to think it was the second highest grossing independent film at the time of release. Also, Elias Koteas is fuckin cool.

Shame about every other TMNT movie, tho.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 22, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Seriously. Casey Jones crushes Shredder to death with a garbage truck, which is played for laughs. TMNT nailed the tone of the comics.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

"you gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket"

Actually, I still have no idea...

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
So how about that movie, Blade? It was a pretty cool movie.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I like the part where he kills the vapire.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I liked the pilot of the Blade tv series. I only watched it because it came in a "four pack" of Blade "movies".

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Blade TV series was kinda fun, honestly (not nearly as good as 1 or 2 but well above Trinity).

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

well above Trinity

That's a hell of a low bar there, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
A low bar that it manages to hurdle the gently caress over, is my point. If the first two are 10/10 and Trinity is a 3/10, the series is a solid 7.

• Locked thread