Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best roar
eyueeeaueerhggh (godzilla)
briiiurghhhh (king ghidora)
eurgh (mothra)
aa aaaaaaaa brrrrr (gamera)
WHERE'S THE NEW REBUILD (eva fans)
View Results

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Welcome to the Kaiju thread, where men are men and giant monsters roam free. Kaiju is a Japanese word that means monster, and it's used to describe all manner of monster movies. Colloquially, Kaiju refer to Daikaiju films, which are films about giant monsters. Not a lot come out anymore, but it's still a massively popular culturally defining genre!

The Monsters
Godzilla (ゴジラ)

Godzilla is the most famous kaiju of them all. He's the star of 28 movies and now an official citizen of Japan. Everyone loves Godzilla! :) Except for the military. :(

There are three different Godzilla series. The first, the Showa series. This series lasted from 1954-1975. This is the classic Godzilla you remember from childhood, with lovely dubs and friendly Godzilla. After that is the Heisei series. This lasted from 1985-1995. This series made Godzilla an anti-hero again, trying to bring him back to his roots as a symbol of nuclear holocaust. Finally, there's the Millennium series, that went from 1999-2004. This series raised the stakes and introduced the evilest of the evil, ORGA

New film to come out in 2016 directed by famed Evangelion director Hideaki Anno! Look forward to it.

If you want to get into Showa-era Godzilla, I recommend Gojira (1954) available from Criterion, King Kong Vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Godzilla Vs. Gigan and Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla. The best Heisei-era are Godzilla Vs. King Ghidora, Godzilla Vs. Mothra and Godzilla Vs. Destroyah. The best in the Millennium series are Godzilla 2000: Millennium, Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack and the amazing Godzilla: Final Wars, a movie so great I cannot put it into words

Gamera (ガメラ)

Gamera the Brave! Friend of all children! Gamera started off as a straight up Godzilla ripoff, but it became its own thing. Gamera is way more silly and child friendly. It's about a giant turtle with rockets in its feet that likes kids and doesn't like it when aliens make kids sad by stepping on their houses. There are 3 Gamera series, but Heisei and Millennium suck because they tried to make Gamera all scary and poo poo despite the fact that Gamera is a giant turtle with rockets in his legs.

If you want to get into Gamera, I recommend Gamera Vs. Barugon and Gamera Vs. Viras.

Special Mention:
ULTRAMAN

The protector of Earth! A lot of people say that Ultraman is a Toku show, but they are incorrect. Ultraman is a show about a man in a costume fighting other men in costumes on top of miniature sets. It's a kaiju show. I know jack poo poo about Ultraman. Sorry

GorfZaplen posted:

Here is an Ultraman description:

Ultraman is space Jesus. He saves monsters by fighting them and sending them to monster heaven, which they fall out of sometimes. He also fights aliens with his friends the Science Patrol. Watch Ultraman and Ultra Seven, and the episode of Ultraman Ace where the Ultra Brothers go to Planet Golgotha and are all crucified.

Talk about big monsters!

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

why is the poll not checkbox

in true kaiju fashion, only one can win

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Namtab posted:

Im serious about the simul, show me some good godzilla and friends

I'm not sure if that can happen because all these films are on dvd and i dont want to make people into pirates...

Maybe we should. I'll look into it

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sakurazuka posted:

Has anything other than the original film gotten a Bluray release yet?

Here's a list of every movie's availability

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_(franchise)#Filmography

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

GorfZaplen posted:

Why the heck does Sea Monster have a Bluray, but not Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla?

Rights, probably

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In Training posted:

Which is the one where the American version of Godzilla from the Matthew Broderick movie appears and Japanese Godzilla effortlessly mashes him into a bloody pulp.

Godzilla: Final Wars

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Query: Has there ever been a good Godzilla video game

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Book recommendation: I recommend Godzilla on My Mind by William Tsutsui. It's half a look at the history of Godzilla and half an autobiographical look at a child's love for a giant green lizard

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Amorphous Blob posted:

Big man Japan is a story of an Ultraman type of figure who is unappreciated and hates his job. It's got some really strange monsters in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Cm39xDWmQ

I had this and I think a couple of others on VHS as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6jYFhZiUvc

I can't remember ANYTHING about the bits with humans running around but apparently there is a bunch of space monkeymen and probably some other weird poo poo which speaks of how awesome the giant monster fights were that it doesn't even ring a bell.

If you like that, you'll like Attack of the Friday Monsters for 3DS. It's about a kid who lives in a city where every Friday giant monsters attack his town. It's made by the My Summer Vacation guy and it's on the e-shop

check it out

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

GorfZaplen posted:

The space monkeys frightened me as a child, so for the longest time I didn't like vs Mechagodzilla because I associated it with the frightening dead monkey men.

how could you not like the invaders from planet x

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 27, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Weren't the monkey guys retconned into being from near the black hole where Space Godzilla was born

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In Training posted:

I may be in the minority here but nice guy Godzilla is kinda bullshit. The turn was in one of the ones with mothra I think, where he became a savior of man and friendly...he should be a rampaging terror!

There are much worse things in those movies than good guy Godzilla

I'd rather have a Gamera style romp with children than any scene with Minya

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

My mom bought me a 2 for 1 VHS at Walmart with Godzilla vs. Gigan and Godzilla vs. Mechgodzilla. It had the Godzilla 1985 poster on the cover

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Was anyone's first kaiju experience MST3K or Joe Bob

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

New interview with the special effects guy about Godzilla.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In Training posted:

Director of Live Action Attack on Titan calls Godzilla (2014) a Masterpiece. This movie may suck.

I'm going to withhold judgment until I see the film

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Japan only Godzilla 2D fighting game is garbage

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Choco1980 posted:

which one?

the one for snes, Kaiju Daikessen

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Do you guys like Kaiju Big Battel

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Choco1980 posted:

So what's the thoughts around here with the announcement that Legendary Pictures is moving their King Kong sequel over to Warner Bros from Universal with the sole reason being so part three will be King Kong versus Godzilla (also Godzilla's part three)?

It will probably suck

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lamprey Cannon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HH0k_HNjBA

Gamera is really neat, he is filled with turtle meat!

(Ohhh my GAWWWWD)

Is it just me or is this trailer really dark? I don't mean tone, I mean like I could barely make out what was happening

Binary Badger posted:

I believe it's thanks to the success of Pacific Rim that all of these kaiju reboots are crawling out of the woodwork..

Oh, someone else is getting a reboot too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjOvth3O2Vs

He's so shiny

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

:siren:GODZILLA TEASER TRAILER:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCOSFZG9-KQ

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

:siren:POSTER:siren:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It doesn't matter what the poo poo looks like as long as they shoot it properly

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It reminds me of Godzilla vs. Destroyah where Godzilla melts down. Maybe they're playing up the atomic holocaust metaphor post-Fukushima?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Also, it got revealed that Godzilla is 118.5m tall this time, 10m taller than American Godzilla

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

BattleCattle posted:

I mean, the googly eye makes sense here. He's missing an eyelid.

I'm imagining Godzilla licking his eyes now

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Godzilla is going to save California

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I found a pretty good roundtable review podcast about Godzilla films. It's called Kaijusaurus. They're up to Ebirah

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I was just about to post that lol

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

http://shin-godzilla.jp/

They're selling Godzilla vs. Evangelion shirts, but only in Japan :negative:

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 1, 2016

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

His tail is so long; it's like a cat walking through Tokyo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sorry for the (sort of) old news, but here's the new Godzilla figure!

http://news.toyark.com/2016/06/24/sh-monsterarts-godzilla-resurgence-shin-godzilla-details-images-208466

All new look at Shin Godzilla, he's got a hosed up blood mouth and a molten tail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

so the new godzilla's out

• Locked thread