Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
wait the pig loving thing was real? black mirror really is way ahead of the curve...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

marktheando posted:

Imagine your American democrats if they had been out of power for a hundred years.

Be fair I'd be seen dead with an American Democrat.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Top City Homo posted:

Can someone tell me what the lib dems stand for.:confused:

Find a fence, go sit on it then say hello to your local Lib Dem candidate.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
Still have no idea

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Top City Homo posted:

Still have no idea

they're the south park of politics but even more irrelevant

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Jose posted:

they're the south park of politics but even more irrelevant

That's really bad

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Top City Homo posted:

Still have no idea

neither do they

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Top City Homo posted:

That's really bad

thats why they basically got wiped out last election

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
but remember all of the votes going spare for Labour are in the centre

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
they're slightly socially liberal neocons at this point. Privately schooled do-as-thou-wilt eternal compromisers who were bad before 2010 and now are about as relevant as a rightwing think tank without corporate sponsors, and have the same steady output of pedantic ~serious politics~. They're the closest the UK establishment has to classical liberalism, and in that sense are important as a yardstick of how useless unemergent political thought is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The closest yes but overall not. I can understand the tenets of liberalism but don't see it in the Lib Dems. There's hints in their manifesto but they've overwhelmingly reeked of 'NO gently caress YOU DAD' politics of the worst kind for a long time.

No relation intended to the forums poster who seems p. alright to me.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Party Boat posted:

The Next Prime Minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Fixed this for you

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Top City Homo posted:

Can someone tell me what the lib dems stand for.:confused:

they try to be everything to everyone and in the post-Iraq years they managed it: under Charles Kennedy they managed to get lots of the student and young people vote that in the past would have been predominantly Labour in years prior: they had a relatively populist policy with lots of focus on civil liberties which was a big issue pre-crash and also had vaguely left-ish economic policies on paper. Of course following the tuition fees thing (they campaigned in the election for abolishing the thing and then signed a pledge saying that they wouldn't vote for a tuition fees rise, then in less than a year supported the change in fees from £3000/year to £9000/year) and the perception that they didn't do any real moderation of the Tories while in government with them (they did stop a few civil liberties things like the Snoopers Charter which would ban "encryption" unless there was a government back door in it and that weird ban on "legal highs" that in its original form would have banned Caffeine and the House of Lords trolled the government with by almost passing a load of silly wrecking amendments but none of the bad economic poo poo) has pretty much ended them as a political force for at least a generation - they have eight MPs which is only a few higher than they managed in their worst years in the 50s, when they couldn't afford to pay the £150 deposit to stand a candidate in most seats. Most of that bad poo poo though is back now the Tories have a majority, and although some of it might not get through if there's a united opposition and a few Tory defectors (which is always likely) most of it will.

Basically: right now they are irrelevant and don't really have that many policies because I'd imagine that they're going to rip everything up and start again: especially with their economic policies. Before Clegg they were vaguely Left-Liberal with the focus being on non-economic issues, under Clegg and especially in coalition they began to vaguely look like classical European Liberals: and suffered the same fate that those sort of parties are suffering across Europe. gently caress knows what they'll do now: Farron was on the left of the party and they looked like going back down the Kennedy route of moving towards the left: but with Corbyn as Labour leader they seem to be going back towards the Right slightly. The Lib Dem membership that remains I believe are broadly to the left of the party I believe: that might influence the direction of the party a little bit

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Basically they were handed a bunch of power and in turn did a full 180 away from left populism to be New Labour Lite (who in turn are Tory Lite). Now their new leader (who looks like someone poorly photoshopped Simon Pegg onto a pea) is trying to angle for New Labour deserters after Corbyn (who is actually leftist and 100% for nationalization of a bunch of poo poo both Tory's and New Labour sold off) won the Labour leadership vote with 60% (New Labour runner-up had 14% after basically steaing Corbyn's stances wholesale).

Lib Dem Leader is also saying that only they can lead a "respectable opposition" to the Tories now that Corbyn is the leader of Labour and that leftists need to get back to compromising with centrists. Keep in mind that, leadership vote numbers adjusted for general election numbers, Corbyn basically won 45% of the voting populace (Tories won the last election with 24%).

Basically they're human garbage.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
the consensus seems to be that they are the party equivalent of the sieve in the drain that catches all the dirt, hair, dead skin and caked poo poo

a sort of overflow trough for the garbage vote in a broken electoral system

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Furnaceface posted:

Rowan Atkinson probably killed his acting career when he ventured into politics so I guess that counts as Mr.Bean being dead.

Wait, what? Rowan Atkinson is in politics now?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

Wait, what? Rowan Atkinson is in politics now?

Kinda sorta in the same sense Donald Sutherland is. He is very vocal on his opinions and those opinions tend to be very critical of the political right. I remember reading about him showing up to a protest against some racist regressive bill Blair was pushing through, I think he got arrested at it?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He used to be part of the leftish-leaning Not the 9 O'Clock News:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB0ZOu_EZ2M

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

lmao dont go to work high, idiot

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

katlington posted:

lmao dont go to work high, idiot

I was gonna cut the debt...

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

he looks like he's loving a pigs head under the desk

how deep does this conspiracy go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Tesseraction posted:

Corbyn did swine eleven.

swine eleven was an inside (blow)job

• Locked thread