Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
im probably the only person still watching owari no seraph, it's an incredibly entertaining show, and it works on an interesting level, but the writing is simply not there to back it up

i had to pause for a while and look away because a character did something incredibly stupid and foolhardy

im not going to stop watching, because the gay couple has finally gotten together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

im probably the only person still watching owari no seraph, it's an incredibly entertaining show, and it works on an interesting level, but the writing is simply not there to back it up

i had to pause for a while and look away because a character did something incredibly stupid and foolhardy

im not going to stop watching, because the gay couple has finally gotten together

Darth Walrus posted:

Someone really needs to gif or webm those oners from the fight in the second half of this episode of Seraph, because sweet holy hell. There was a bit of a wobble in Episode 7, but the show finally seems to have escaped the Wit curse of production falling apart in Episodes 8-12.

Also, Crowley is a really fun and unusual villain. He's not needlessly sadistic, he doesn't rant or posture, and he doesn't have a hidden heart of gold - he's just totally happy, composed, and at peace with being a murderous, slaving warlord who occasionally has to beat down the cattle when they get uppity. He's like an upbeat JRPG hero who just happens to totally lack a moral compass.

I'd say the writing does have its merits as well. The main squad do feel believable as a bunch of dumb kids thrust into a war, right down to the silly pranks they pull on each other, and it gives the show a lot of its charm.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
In Valkyrie Drive poo poo has hit the fan

:suspense:

I really hope it gets a second season.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

no

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Taimadou Gakuen is probably the most frustrating show for me this season.

It's pretty competently done. The characters are as sympathetic as any this season, the plots are interesting, the dialogue is well done.

But the storyboard is really blatant in its "OK, character 1's problem. Done. Now, character 2's problem." etc.

But, I'm still watching it and have been given no real reason to stop, especially since, occasionally, they manage to produce excellent episodes like the most recent.

I gave up and started watching Sakurako-san again, because nothing happens in the middle of the week (also Shizuka Itou). It's started to move a bit, and has started to tie someof the earlier plotlines into the present, but I can't help but feel that we're going to be blindsided by a glorious feat of deus ex machina at the end. It just feels blatantly unwilling to actually resolve anything about the overarching plot, and instead relies on reverse dramatic irony and "No, really, you'll find out soon" to try to frustrate the audience into continuing to watch. Oh well, do I have 20 minutes a week to waste in order to find out what sort of conclusion they come up with? Yeah, probably, I guess so.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

In Valkyrie Drive poo poo has hit the fan

:suspense:

I really hope it gets a second season.

Nobody has any loving context for this because you're the only loving person watching this garbage.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Nobody has any loving context for this because you're the only loving person watching this garbage.

That poster is under my protection. I suggest you back off and apologize.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Waffleman_ posted:

Evil Miku shows on the island and convinces Lesbian Queen Bee to stage a coup against bifauxnen governour. Queen Bee gets her rear end kicked and is knocked out, Evil Miku then goes full psychotic, turns into that body horror and blasts governour to oblivion.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Evil Miku shows on the island and convinces Lesbian Queen Bee to stage a coup against bifauxnen governour. Queen Bee gets her rear end kicked and is knocked out, Evil Miku then goes full psychotic, turns into that body horror and blasts governour to oblivion.

I still don't know what you're talking about.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

some lady turned into a hosed up spider cannon

that's basically what it looks like.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

some lady turned into a hosed up spider cannon

that's basically what it looks like.

That's about what I got out of it as well. If he likes it though, so what. Not like he's really got anywhere else to post about it since a thread for that show never had a chance.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Waffleman_ posted:

:rolleyes:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Have you tried not being stupid

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I just found this fanart with Evil Miku

The comparison is very apt.

And yeah, the show is pretty drat fun with the characters being a highlight. now that it has entered the endgame is going full throttle into action and weird revelations

The most amusing thing is that a lot of the japanese show following are women and they are fond of making ton of cute fanart for it

:allears:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The most amusing thing is that a lot of the japanese show following are women and they are fond of making ton of cute fanart for it

:allears:

That's cute.

e: and a much better hairstyle for Mamori

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 11, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

D_T is gonna post no matter what you say, he's very powerful.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

In my defense, I made those posts on no more than two hours of sleep, so I may have been a bit cranky. I just hope that now D_T has been introduced to anime, he broadens his horizons beyond booby shows in the coming season.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I hope that he broadens his horizons and continues to enjoy booby shows.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I hope that he broadens his horizons and continues to enjoy booby shows.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
There is plenty of room in all of our hearts for good shows in many genres as well as shows that have the tity.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Define good shows man

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

graybook posted:

There is plenty of room in all of our hearts for good shows in many genres as well as shows that have the tity.

they can be the same thing too! Fujiko Mine was a good cartoon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

In my defense, I made those posts on no more than two hours of sleep, so I may have been a bit cranky. I just hope that now D_T has been introduced to anime, he broadens his horizons beyond booby shows in the coming season.

What if they are extremely wide boobies?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What makes Valkyrie Drive Mermaid a worse anime than One Punch Man or whatever? Legit curious.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Darth Walrus posted:

What if they are extremely wide boobies?

So like Ume Aoki, except for baps?

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

What makes Valkyrie Drive Mermaid a worse anime than One Punch Man or whatever? Legit curious.

Because they don't like it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Room, The Godfather: what makes these different, legit curious.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

The Room, The Godfather: what makes these different, legit curious.

Movies is the same

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Worse artistry, presumably. This isn't a slam on VD, because I haven't seen it, but they're both style-over-substance action shows, which means the 'style' bit is important, and even if it's good at what it does, I'd be real surprised if a mid-budget titty show can match a big-budget labour of love by a supergroup of Japan's finest animators in the quality of its action. Seriously, OPM is just a mouth-watering visual feast.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Worse artistry, presumably. This isn't a slam on VD, because I haven't seen it, but they're both style-over-substance action shows, which means the 'style' bit is important, and even if it's good at what it does, I'd be real surprised if a mid-budget titty show can match a big-budget labour of love by a supergroup of Japan's finest animators in the quality of its action. Seriously, OPM is just a mouth-watering visual feast.

That's a disingenuous argument if you haven't seen it.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Fubuki tits> VD tits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

That's a disingenuous argument if you haven't seen it.

I'm talking probabilities. OPM is just stupidly good at what it does, so something matching it is kind of an extraordinary claim. Maybe VD has better writing, because that isn't resource-dependent (hi, Guilty Crown!), but animation quality is something you can buy, and it's much rarer for a cheap show to look as good as an expensive show than it is for a cheap show to be written as well as an expensive one. Combine that with OPM's enthusiastic, passionate dream-team of artists, animators, and story larders, and it's a tough act to match.

Still, you sound like you've actually been following VD. Does it actually manage to match OPM's visual standards?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, One Punch Man actually has an average budget. Budget doesn't really affect as much as you think it does.

I know I'm the one who started all this, but yeah.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
On a comic con panel a few months ago one of the animators was talking about how hyped he has to be working on OPM, so, yeah.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm talking probabilities. OPM is just stupidly good at what it does, so something matching it is kind of an extraordinary claim. Maybe VD has better writing, because that isn't resource-dependent (hi, Guilty Crown!), but animation quality is something you can buy, and it's much rarer for a cheap show to look as good as an expensive show than it is for a cheap show to be written as well as an expensive one. Combine that with OPM's enthusiastic, passionate dream-team of artists, animators, and story larders, and it's a tough act to match.

Still, you sound like you've actually been following VD. Does it actually manage to match OPM's visual standards?

It surpasses it dude.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

It surpasses it dude.

Oh? Any fights you'd recommend from it as animation showcases, then?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Waffleman_ posted:

I briefly remember when D_t was not defined by his love of boobies and made posts about manga that was not Senran Kagura related.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

IM DRUNK ON LIK 1 LITRE OF SLIVOVIC

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS

IF YUO LIKE ANIME YOUR OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Thanks, Lucy! :)

• Locked thread