Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DamnGlitch posted:

I’m not sure why they didn’t hype it to the hilt after squid games popped off.

Netflix is presently run by some of the biggest morons in the business. They lost so much ground in the last few years and have no idea what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So my local theater plays some anime films every month and I've taken my friend who hasn't warched very much out to see two movies so far: Cowboy Bebop and then this past week we watched Paprika. He told me he really enjoyed both of them and said that he does want to try and tackle Eva at some point. I figure if he wants to try it I won't stop him but I'd still like to find some more film recommendations to try on him rather than TV series.

He told me that the things he really enjoyed about Paprika and Bebop were the vibes and the animation, which makes me think mood pieces might be a good fit. He's already down to watch Satoshi Kon's other movies if they play at the theater and I fully intend to strap him to a chair and Ludovico Technique him into enjoying Redline. Any other film suggestions based off what he said he likes?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Saoshyant posted:

Netflix is presently run by some of the biggest morons in the business. They lost so much ground in the last few years and have no idea what to do.

They got drunk off the success of Stranger Things and Wednesday that anything that doesn't do numbers to rival those gets immediately canned to make room for the next thing they'll immediately can after one season or a handful if episodes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Arc Hammer posted:

So my local theater plays some anime films every month and I've taken my friend who hasn't warched very much out to see two movies so far: Cowboy Bebop and then this past week we watched Paprika. He told me he really enjoyed both of them and said that he does want to try and tackle Eva at some point. I figure if he wants to try it I won't stop him but I'd still like to find some more film recommendations to try on him rather than TV series.

He told me that the things he really enjoyed about Paprika and Bebop were the vibes and the animation, which makes me think mood pieces might be a good fit. He's already down to watch Satoshi Kon's other movies if they play at the theater and I fully intend to strap him to a chair and Ludovico Technique him into enjoying Redline. Any other film suggestions based off what he said he likes?

Summer Wars

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Inu-Oh. On-Gaku. Millenium Actress. HELLS. Howl's.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I was thinking of doing some Hosoda films. Like the way Kon movies have a running theme of duality in life, Hosoda films have a running theme of remaking Digimon Our Wargame over and over. Summer Wars is definitely better than Belle on that front, though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Arc Hammer posted:

Maquia

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Im not sure what a mood piece is but Im guessing Wolf Children, Your Name, and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time would all fit somewhat?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Furnaceface posted:

Im not sure what a mood piece is but Im guessing Wolf Children, Your Name, and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time would all fit somewhat?

Mood/Vibes being a film carried more by its atmosphere or overall feel rather than by its story. Something like Jin-Roh would be my idea of a mood piece. It has an interesting plot, true, but the main reason it's remembered is for its music and visual style, and sometimes that's enough to make a film worthwhile. I adore Cowboy Bebop the Movie but as far as Bebop sessions go it's not my favourite, but thst doesn't stop the movie from being an audio-visual feast.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

Promare?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Well, Ghost in the Shell is an obvious choice. It's very different from Bebop, and somewhat slower, but the vibes are similar and the animation is top shelf. Similarly, some Lupin (especially Castle) might be worth a look, just because the Lupin gang and the Bebop crew are long lost relatives. Time of Eve also might be worth a look, depending on how he takes to Ghost in the Shell, since it's pretty talky. (Jin-Roh is even talkier. I love it, but it's definitely not something for someone who wants to keep to kinetic anime.) Maybe The Night is Short, Walk on Girl for the kinetic visuals, Penguin Highway for something else by the same author, or (longshot) Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamis, although that one has some content you might want to screen beforehand.

Oh, Miyazaki's a gimmee, but Princess Mononoke sounds like it should work.

For an upcoming film, Look Back is likely to get a US release this year, and that seems like it'll be a great adaptation, so that might work.

Any of that help?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

This is a topic where I could endlessly recommend stuff but in the interest of keeping the focus narrow I'll throw out the following: On-gaku, Blue Giant, Pompo the Cinephile, and all of Yuasa's movies.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Srice posted:

This is a topic where I could endlessly recommend stuff but in the interest of keeping the focus narrow I'll throw out the following: On-gaku, Blue Giant, Pompo the Cinephile, and all of Yuasa's movies.

Oh, yeah. Should have thought of Pompo! Seconding that one. Managed to see it in theaters, really was a good time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
GITS is definitely on the menu since it's a regular rerun at the theater. They like to play the classics from the 90s. I'm a bit hesitant to go with Oshii's movies for one reason or another, though. Very thought provoking stuff but GITS is certainly one of those films where its reputation precedes it and can give people the wrong impression of what it's actually like to watch. It's the same reason I didn't really comment too much when he told me he wants to check out Eva. Some things might be better left to him to watch without my personal impressions colouring things.

This is as much a list for me to watch as well because there's plenty I haven't seen. Promare could be a fun way to introduce him to Trigger.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 19, 2024

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
About once every year I get a craving to check out a Ghibli film, anyone have any suggestions on that front? I've already seen Mononoke, Howl and Valley of the Wind - not quite sure if I want to tackle Boy and the Heron just yet, I feel like I want to check out some of their older stuff first.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

About once every year I get a craving to check out a Ghibli film, anyone have any suggestions on that front? I've already seen Mononoke, Howl and Valley of the Wind - not quite sure if I want to tackle Boy and the Heron just yet, I feel like I want to check out some of their older stuff first.

Porco Rosso.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Go watch Redline, because everyone should watch RedliiiiIIIIIIiiiinnneeee! :rock::rice::rice:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go watch Redline, because everyone should watch RedliiiiIIIIIIiiiinnneeee! :rock::rice::rice:

I've watched Redline! And yes you're right, everyone should watch Redline. :colbert:

Arc Hammer posted:

Porco Rosso.

Huh, I forgot that one was Ghibli for some reason - thanks, I think I'll give it a shot!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's only proto-Ghibli, but Valley of the Wind might be worth a look.

I got my start with the Kiki dub, so I have some affection for that, but if we're looking for the best, there's always Spirited Away. Rock solid all-rounder.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Older stuff then yeah, definitely Porco Rosso. Grave of the Fireflies and Nausicaa are other good oldies.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Kodansha Award Winnin/Nominated Bundle

Bundle imcludes, Vindland Saga, Medalist, Nina the Starry Bride, Blue Period, Shangri-la Frontier, The Drops of God, A Silent Voice, What Die Have to Eat Yesterday, Witch Hat Atelier, A Sign of Affection. Only two days left on it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

Bundle imcludes, Vindland Saga, Medalist, Nina the Starry Bride, Blue Period, Shangri-la Frontier, The Drops of God, A Silent Voice, What Die Have to Eat Yesterday, Witch Hat Atelier, A Sign of Affection. Only two days left on it.

Some of these look cool, and I recognize Vinland Saga of course, it's pretty popular around here. I think I saw some ads for Witch Hat Atelier and said "hey, this artwork is pretty cute, well done". How are the rest of them?

Two seem to be about people who need sign language to get around -- is that reflected in a way it shows either of the authors are legit familiar with the experience?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Saoshyant posted:

Some of these look cool, and I recognize Vinland Saga of course, it's pretty popular around here. I think I saw some ads for Witch Hat Atelier and said "hey, this artwork is pretty cute, well done". How are the rest of them?

Two seem to be about people who need sign language to get around -- is that reflected in a way it shows either of the authors are legit familiar with the experience?

They’re all pretty dang good op

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Saoshyant posted:

Shangri-la Frontier is the greatest videogame manga ever written and Medalist is by far one of the best sports ones same for Witch Hat Atelier and fantasy.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

Shangri-la Frontier is the greatest videogame manga ever written and Medalist is by far one of the best sports ones same for Witch Hat Atelier and fantasy.

Well, there's certainly a lot of variety there for sure. Even the wine one looks at least worth a try just for the concept alone. Not sure how they managed thirty volumes of it, though.

Thanks.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Saoshyant posted:

Well, there's certainly a lot of variety there for sure. Even the wine one looks at least worth a try just for the concept alone. Not sure how they managed thirty volumes of it, though.

Thanks.

Haven't read it, but it look interesting. A Silent Voice is great, but INSANELY emotionally taxing and grueling to read. KyoAni did a movie, that also hits HARD.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
As long as you are emotionally ready for it, I would heartly recommend A Silent Voice as well.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Blue Period is amazing and got me to rethink art as a medium of expression.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Any manga humble bundle like that is generally worth the purchase, it's rare that they cram them full of outright garbage, it's usually a significant value in really good series, and often includes the entirety of them if they're completed series.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

Any manga humble bundle like that is generally worth the purchase, it's rare that they cram them full of outright garbage, it's usually a significant value in really good series, and often includes the entirety of them if they're completed series.

This one contains pretty much everything out for each of these with maybe one volume off. Kodansha seems to have a deal with Humble Bundle of some kind which is why all of these are from them, but yeah this one is CRAZY good.

Hunt11 posted:

As long as you are emotionally ready for it, I would heartly recommend A Silent Voice as well.

Oh I agree, but it's one that you really only read once and that's it because it just hits that hard.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

doomrider7 posted:

Oh I agree, but it's one that you really only read once and that's it because it just hits that hard.

A full readthrough definitely but there are some parts that I do enjoy rereading.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I've watched Redline! And yes you're right, everyone should watch Redline. :colbert:

Huh, I forgot that one was Ghibli for some reason - thanks, I think I'll give it a shot!

Actually an addendum and correction to this;

Watch Redline on the biggest screen, with the best sound system, in the highest quality/resolution you have access to. If possible.

Your eyes and ears will thank you.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Captain Invictus posted:

Tell that to my Overwatch issues

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
I am looking for a series with fights/battle sequences on par with Frieren. Any good recs?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

-jujutsu kaisen is the easy battle anime rec if you're looking for cool fight scenes
-attack on titan's fight scenes are also exceptionally good (might be more of a thing second season onward, honestly been a while since i've seen s1 and that's basically the worst part of the show)
-afro samurai is largely composed of sick action sequences
-i'm a bit less into chainsaw man's animation than other people might be, but i still think it's pretty good
-obviously if you haven't seen one punch man it has excellent fight scenes (s1 anyways)
-ditto mob psycho 100
-the fight scenes in granbelm are pretty fun
-cyberpunk edgerunners has some good action
-ranking of kings has very good fight sequences
-the first 3 seasons of my hero academia have some well done fights, especially s2 and s3
-coffin princess chaika is a bit less flashy animation-wise than the above but its fight choreography is top notch

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 21, 2024

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I had an idea for a RPG the other day and need more material for inspiration. Other than Yu-Gi-Oh what are some good manga about the high stakes world of trading cards?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Destroy All Humankind. They Can't Be Regenerated. maybe? it's a manga about Magic: The Gathering set in 90s japan.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s Duel Masters, too

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
If you're also fine with anime, selector infected WIXOSS is a show that specifically uses high stakes trading card games as a vehicle for messy & fraught teen feelings. It's an odd beast that I wouldn't normally rec without a few asterisks (cw for incest) but it's also very evocative and might serve as a unique inspiration. Mangawise unfortunately nothing comes to mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yeah not opposed to anime, just manga is faster and easier for me to get through

It was early when I originally posted, I want to do a one shot RPG where the players are all anime card game protagonist stereotypes and they save the world or whatever using trading cards. So they would be things like the pro who uses skill and system mastery, the lucky one, the moral support, the rival, the tribal deck and so on

I just need more tropes under my belt to really make the idea pop

Len fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 23, 2024