Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm in the mood for some different schlocky trash.

Recommend me a reverse isekai. Doesn't have to be anime, manga and light novels are fine too.

For context about my bad taste - I genuinely enjoyed (most of) Sword Art Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Southern Cassowary posted:

ya boy kongming is a ridiculous reverse isekai that owns incredibly hard

I'll check it out, looks interesting!

symbolic posted:

Magical Witch Punie-chan

This looks a bit strange, but funny-strange.

Arc Hammer posted:

There's also that Otaku Elf reverse isekai, right?

Is this referring to this:

Captain Invictus posted:

Welcome to Japan, Elf-san! is a guy who gets isekai'd when he sleeps, and when he wakes up, he gets un-isekai'd. one day his companion, an elf, winds up back in japan with him. it's relatively laid back and fun.

Regardless, I'll check it out!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

doomrider7 posted:

Shangri-la Frontier. It's VRMMO like SAO except actually good.

Don't go hatin' on SAO, it's the definition of guilty pleasure.

Although it has genuinely amazing animation. Alicization/War of the Underworld have spectacular visual effects.

E:

symbolic posted:

it is very bizarre and has a lot of tonal whiplash but im a fan. I'd put money on you having seen this clip from it out of context before: https://youtu.be/scD18plp-dQ?si=mZL7GAuxcIH3Piso

I actually hadn't seen that, which surprised me because it seemed like the kind of thing they'd put in an AMV Hell until I realized the last AMV Hell came out a decade ago and I'm an old man get off of my lawn you drat kids.

Also I made a huge pot of curry for meal prep this week, which is an odd coincidence.

Annath fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 2, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Completely unrelated to isekai trash, I've been reading Tonikaku Kawaii, and it's excellent. Haven't been watched the anime, but I hear it's good.

But the manga is super cute. There's more to it, and it peels back the layers really well.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Tonikaku Kawaii/Fly Me To The Moon... kind of?

Nasa (the guy) isn't like super quirky or whatever, but he convinces Tsukasa (the girl) to come out of her shell and try having a relationship again after her having resigned herself to not connecting with anyone.

There's more to it that I can't go into without spoiling it though.

Also the story begins with him asking her out and her telling him she'll go out with him if he marries her (in an attempt to get him to say no) only for him to say yes :v:.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'd heard of Record of Lodoss War before, but I'd never looked into it. Just did, and it looks pretty interesting.

Unfortunately it looks like only the first book was ever translated. There are apparently fan translations of the non-localized volumes though.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

if you want a fun time you can dig up the original D&D players guide that record of lodoss war is built off of. with the very funny running gag of the thief constantly questioning the DM's logic and then having a lightning bolt fired at him by an offscreen evil wizard

The Record of Lodoss War Wiki has fan translations of those too actually. Not sure if I'm allowed to link to them though.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Did someone already mention Grand Blue Diving?

It's literally about a dude working at a dive shop.

(disclaimer - I haven't watched it, it's just on my "watch eventually" list)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Supremezero posted:

Ha ha ha ha

HA HA HA HA HA

Yeah, being underwater is not what Grand Blue is about. It's more like a plot setting that comes up on occasion.

Oh. Well then, lol.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Arc Hammer posted:

How is the Disney dub? They tend to vary in quality.

I'm not aware of any Disney dubs of Ghibli films that are bad.

Like, they spend a shitton of money getting big name celebrities, and every one I've seen has given a good performance.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Every single role in Princess Mononoke is amazing, even though you can tell immediately who's doing each character.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

AlternateNu posted:

Dirty Pair Flash
Escaflowne
Slayers

And I'm going to throw Boogiepop Phantom on there despite it technically being 2000. Same with Great Teacher Onizuka (1999-2000).

I remember reading years ago that there's, like, two different versions of Escaflowne, one more Shonen, and one more Shoujo. Is that correct, or did I hallucinate that diving too deep into Tvtropes or something?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
How many versions are there?

Two Mangas, an anime, and a movie?

I guess I'm wondering which is the "original"/intended version.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Sounds what I'm hearing is to check out the original anime first, then maybe the manga if I liked the anime?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Hello again, everyone. This time I am looking for a one cour or shorter anime that has some sort of central mystery that is unraveled/deduced by the characters. Something like Everything Becomes F or Zaregoto: Kubikiri Cycle. It doesn't necessarily have to involve detectives or be a murder mystery, just something that involves theories/reasoning. A moody atmosphere is a plus.

If you're OK with gore, "Another" is a really good mystery.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So, looking into the Escaflowne stuff now that I'm home from work, apparently the super edgy, violent, and ecchi manga was created based on the plot concepts and character designs the anime was originally going have. It was created while the anime's production was on hold, and when the anime resumed they drastically shifted the style/concept.

So its completely by chance that the anime ended up not having "a violent saga focused primarily on fighting and Hitomi transforming into a "curvaceous nymph" that is the power source of the mecha Escaflowne."

lmao

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Thoren posted:

Can someone recommend me an anime/manga that heavily subverts Japanese medieval fantasy tropes?

Gintama??

It's setting is kinda alternate history Meji era Japan with aliens?

It's also basically the Seinfeld of anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Thoren posted:

I'm thinking the cliche D&D-inspired stuff. Like akame ga kill but less lovely.

That sentence has intrigued me, I'll check it out.

Note that Gintama is incredibly funny, so not serious.