Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've gotten through 3 eps of this and I'm not sure what makes it great? Animation is nice but the story seems really generic so far. Does it get better?

ehhhhh, it certainly has a formula that it sticks to outside of like once or twice. I was never particularly impressed w it, imo its cast is way too underdeveloped across the board to really strike at what its aiming at w any real profundity, but ymmv as always, it's a forum darling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The Colonel posted:

what does forums darling mean in a 2020 adtrw where either some people agree a show is cool or people decide to vaguepost about how bad it is for 30 pages

as a young depressed lesbian i connected with the focus gridman placed on akane and rikka as teenagers struggling with living in a world that feels much greater than either of them individually, putting akane in a position where she felt inclined to do horrible things to maintain her own sense of emotional safety. i like that the show contrasts and eventually connects together both characters as integral to the show's emotional arc and themes. it's fair to say that outside of them the rest of the cast is fairly simple and undeveloped but i think calling akane or rikka undeveloped is disingenous, there's not a single episode of gridman that doesn't dedicate itself to explore them emotionally

That I feel like I've seen most of the more active posters cop for GRIDMAN. Recall seeing it in a ton of best of lists. Not really a big deal.

That's an interesting perspective, these kinds of post-eva things that deal more in baking in their own atmosphere than hammering in the fine details, the key is whether the specific feelings explored resound w you where it's speaking to ya down to your blood or it doesn't. My experience w hs ennui isn't reflected in either character's situations or struggles to the point where it ever felt clear to me what position Akane was in where she felt she had to do what she did.

She's most interesting as a portrait of a frustrated/self-loathing teen creative, the show spends most of its time in the back half elaborating on her feelings and she has a lot of em, but I feel like the lack of finer detail does extend to both Akane and Rikku's situations and characters to the extent that by the end, it's nice she's redeemed I guess, but spread out so piecemeal among the puzzlebox bs and the robot fights, it gets emotionally jumbled to the point where the core relationship of the show didn't give me much to respond to. GRIDMAN's very much the kind of show set up to where your response to it depends on what you as a viewer bring to it, and that aint nothin'. The robot fights sure are cool, too.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 10, 2020

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The first Patlabor movie is the best one

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

occluded posted:

Looking for more stuff like Dorohedoro, for someone reeeeasonably new to anime? Interesting characters, weird, lighthearted, some sort of magic or technology in the setting but not foregrounded to the extent that there are huge infodumps every episode.

Blood Blockade Battlefront, Kaiba, Dennou Coil, that Trigun movie

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

looking for something super gorey/violent but with a lighter tone. dorohedoro is an excellent example of this

alternatively, some kind of really sick animation showcase that would be a blast to watch while high as balls would be a really nice rec to get too. i dunno if there's any hidden mob psychos out there that i haven't heard of but if there are, i wanna hear about them!

Star Driver didn't wind up amounting to much, but I remember being v into it at the time and that's p much entirely down to the production values, maybe give that a shot

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Is B: The Beginning any good? There was a pretty sweet AMV in the Akross Con contest this past year that used it.

It's a slightly less good Darker Then Black.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm assuming you mean season 1, because that statement has a completely different meaning if you are talking about season 2.

Yeah s1 def, you can p much draw a straight line from it to later fare like B the Beginning and Sirius the Jaeger or even Tokyo Ghoul, urban noir-ish self-serious shows about mutants getting by in the underworld w equal parts mean streak ultraviolence and an occasionally loopy sense of humor.

I went back and watched a handful of the s1 eps I remembered most a few weeks ago and DtB is good. Certain moments, like the intro to ep5 where you meet Mr. Smith, or the pivotal moments in Hwang's focus arc are executed w real Capitol P Panache, and the fantastic ost is constantly elevating the proceedings. The s1 oav is my fave of all of em cuz it's p much straight comedy.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i mean i think a lot of that energy just comes from Devilman when you get right down to it

it's a frustrating sub-genre because I really do like the aesthetic but so many of those shows don't really seem to have anything to say beyond "drat, isn't this cool." occasionally you get something like Parasyte which focuses all the ultraviolence and interwoven conspiracies into a central point but for every one of those you have a dozen of Zetman or Gantz w/e

Haha most def, I feel you. It's not a flavor I'm a big fan of either, like I never got much into B or Sirius. The subgenre gets a bit too selfserious for my tastes.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

jinpachistar posted:

Starting to get back into watching anime again; any recommendations for short-episode series? Doesn’t have to be comedies, but I loved stuff like Teekyu and Inferno Cop.

EDIT: Turning Girls.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 25, 2021

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

ahobday posted:

Hello I'm looking for the following:
+ Regular, good fight/action scenes
+ People with powers, or mechs
+ Light-hearted-ish
+ Ideally something with compilation movies available if it's long

Things I'd like to avoid:
– Characters screaming about their problems constantly
– Filler. I realise this rules out the majority of famous anime with good fight scenes

I've seen:
✓ Gurren Lagann
✓ One Punch Man
✓ Overlord
✓ Loads of others I probably forget. I'll edit this list as people suggest things I've seen

Appare-Ranman!

Kemono Jihen

Pokemon Sun & Moon and/or Journeys, they're both great, and there's also the short series on youtube, Twilight Wings.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Good points but I just think poo poo like him video recording the ape guy with his phone out in the open without him noticing was dumb.

Thought that was great. Sneezing over the camera noise while pointing it right at him and getting away with it? King poo poo.

If I have any problems w ODDTAXI, it's the ending. Not that part. In a vacuum, THAT was great. But I don't wanna effortpost so it basically amounts to LET MY MANS THINK HES A WALRUS IF THATS WHAT HE WANTS. It came in so handy, all the time. Everybody loved him even if he was a lovely lil grump, why did he need to be fixed/changed? It's so dumb.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The Colonel posted:

his arc literally doesn't make sense without what happens. the point of the ending is him growing past his childhood traumas and insecurities

He doesnt have an arc, bro. He's oddly enough the most put together and socially capable of anybody in the cast save Goriki I guess, He's not a social invalid. Just a grump. Playing yakuza AND cops. Makin plans. He formed relationships fine, and like I said, everybody loved him. Whatever thread the story was trying to weave thematically Odo at the center failed to thread the needle because it's Odo. It's something that makes sense for someone w social anxiety or something, but that doesn't describe him at all in my book.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 18, 2021

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Friend of mine wants fantasy and medieval anime suggestions and I can't really be a good source since I'm not that big a fan. I recommended Vinland Saga and Berserk since I do like those shows, and he doesn't want isekai shows.

Scrapped Princess, Spice and Wolf, and while its more greek mythology than castles and poo poo, the 80's YAS flick Arion is prolly worth a look. There's also The Witcher movie on netflix.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Hi guys, during the pandemic I started watching a lot of anime and now that I've finished several really long good series I'm looking for stuff that can kind of fill the void. I wondered what you might recommend based off my lift of most enjoyed series?

Yu Yu Hakusho
Demon Slayer
Full Metal Alchemist (both series)
InuYasha + Yashahime
Dr Stone
Evangelion

Revolutionary Girl Utena
SSSS.Dynazenon
Kyousogiga
Mob Psycho 100
RahXephon
Wolf's Rain

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Last Exile captured that sense of watching a ps1/2 jrpg cutscene but a series quite a bit before Made in Abyss, and a lil bit better in my book.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

For "weirdly high stakes" I recommend the NSFW short series Miss Critical Moment(Ippatsu Kikimutsume), all of which was on youtube last I checked

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 24, 2022

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Gonna be a very broad and subjective request here: shows with good music. Not just OP and ED music, but the actual soundtrack itself. You get into a rut of watching too many slice of life shows and you get exhausted from all the dithering on piano and comedic trumpet farts or drum banging.

Excluding Kanno or Sawano-scored shows, who's a good composer who really nails a vibe? It doesn't have to he big sweeping orchestra music, just a style that the show completely owns.

Utena's music owns, great playful emotive score w a new J. A. Seazer jam almost every episode. All Ikuhara's stuff has great music generally. Which brings to mind Revue Starlight, and the second film of that is basically just one big pomo idol action musical.

Kakegurui has a really strong score that really amplifies the action, BECK is a classic that everyone owes themself to experience; RIP Osamu Kobayashi; and for some metal action there's NSFW short series Detroit Metal City(from the director of MushiShi!)

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Dagger of Kamui has a fuckin baller soundtrack

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

On the topic of things not aging well I tried out Kids On the Slope and while the music and animation is excellent that camp gay affectation from one of the characters made me recoil. It was like the Paulie Shore Pinocchio without any of the irony.

I liked that guy a lot lol

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Ulio posted:

Any good shounen based on games like board game or card game? Like Yugioh. Not expecting peak anime just basic fun to watch on the side stuff.

Hikaru no Go. There's also Chihayafuru, No Game No Life, Kakegurui and Phi-Brain off the top of my head.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 4, 2022

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Speaking of, the Bebop movie is basically set in space new york, and a lil bit space morocco

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Wolf's Rain doesn't name real world locations, but is set in a funky dying world fantasy Russia. And of course, there's the sunblasted setting of Michiko and Hatchin.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

There's always Appare-Ranman!! for those classic Cannonball Run across a bygone America vibes

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Hello friends! I'm looking for shows or movies where sakuga animated swordplay is the focus. Beam swords/lightsabers OK too. Thanks!

Le Chavelier de Eon

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

as another rec ask mentioning ghost in teh shell, i watched that movie with my dad the other week and he really enjoyed it. mostly the philosophical stuff about the nature of life and existence, the scifi aesthetics and everything he seems to just like not love. anyone have any recs for other anime movies that have a similarly plainly-philosophical bent to them?

The Psycho-Pass movie, the very first one. Maybe Angel's Egg or Night on the Galactic Railroad if he's open to more dreamlike and artsy fare.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

So I'm reupping Netflix to finish Stone Ocean have they gotten anything else good between the first part of Stone Ocean and now? Or is it just Edgerunners?

Spriggan is good

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Kakegurui Twin is good. Bastard was getting weird for me personally but ppl who stuck it thru vouch for it.

There was also a Tekken show and that Drifting Home movie

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

What was that recent-ish p-looking fantasy show about the lile girl and a robot guardian going around a colorful fantasy world? There's a decent shot that would be what you're looking for.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

Somali and the Forest Spirit. totally forgot about that one, the writing was pretty basic but it would definitely scratch that itch for cool fantasy art + world design.

Yeah that, thanks!

I guess Humanity Has Declined would count too technically, if you feel up for a tongue-in-cheek cynical take on that kind of thing.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Im on holidays for another week and since I went through a bunch of my backlog I ended up watching and dumping quite a few after a few episodes so Im looking to add to my list again. Most of the stuff that I finished ended up being kind of cute or happy stuff so Id like to contrast that a bit. Interested in a more grown up or adult show or movie, just not ones that use sex/violence for shock value. Any genre is fine. The two most recent ones Ive seen that Im kind of looking for more of are Welcome to the NHK and Black Lagoon.

e: I also watched Paprika, Paranoia Agent and Baccano too, so something like those would also work!

Try Kemonozume

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Shows or Manga set in a school setting that is emphatically NOT in Japan and deals with a fish out of water Japanese student learning an entirely different social dynamic different from your typical Japanese high school drama?

hmmm Was there ever a Yokai Watch show set in the NotAmerica of YW3?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

If she likes pokemon at all, the newest show that just ended(Journeys) and newest film, Secrets of the Jungl, are both wonderful.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The goofy side characters are perfect actually

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

yall makin me sad we never got more Drifters

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I got listening to the Ghost in the Shell OST and Innocence and Kenji Kawai is the GOAT for those atmospheric soundtracks. What other shows/movies has he worked on that are worth checking out for the music? I've already watched Patlabor.

I really like his film score for Avalon, and the recent Fire Hunter anime had good music

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Ulio posted:

Any anime similar to Demon Slayer, not necessarily in terms of the setting but action + production and seasonal anime(shorter seasons). I already have seen AoT, Blue Lock , Mob Psycho 100, OPM and Jojo, which I would consider in that vein.

I was wondering if Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man would fit this mold? Maybe the last Bleach Arc? Maybe Vinland Saga? I read the manga of that a long time ago and absolutely adored so I know the story of the 2 seasons. Maybe Bungou Stray Dogs or Fire Force?

Mainly looking for action( animes with good production/animation from last 5 years. So if any of those fit let me know.

I loved Revenger from earlier this year, try that one

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

So my local theater plays some anime films every month and I've taken my friend who hasn't warched very much out to see two movies so far: Cowboy Bebop and then this past week we watched Paprika. He told me he really enjoyed both of them and said that he does want to try and tackle Eva at some point. I figure if he wants to try it I won't stop him but I'd still like to find some more film recommendations to try on him rather than TV series.

He told me that the things he really enjoyed about Paprika and Bebop were the vibes and the animation, which makes me think mood pieces might be a good fit. He's already down to watch Satoshi Kon's other movies if they play at the theater and I fully intend to strap him to a chair and Ludovico Technique him into enjoying Redline. Any other film suggestions based off what he said he likes?

Inu-Oh. On-Gaku. Millenium Actress. HELLS. Howl's.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Annath posted:

I'm in the mood for some different schlocky trash.

Recommend me a reverse isekai. Doesn't have to be anime, manga and light novels are fine too.

For context about my bad taste - I genuinely enjoyed (most of) Sword Art Online.

Magical Girls Magical Destroyers from last year is that good trash, and considering most of the principal cast, it may as well be reverse isekai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

A Lull in the Sea is a slice of life thing where some of the town is underwater and some ppl can just like live there