Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mecha shows with a more adult bent recommendations? I'm trying to find something that satisfies my need for giant robits without devolving into tits and rear end when the plot runs thin. I've seen Patlabor, Votoms and Flag, as well as most of the more adult oriented Gundam series. Anything else that fits that mould?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Seen Eva and I wouldn't exactly consider it what I'm looking for. Gurren Lagann is fine and fun but I really want something that scratches the itch that Patlabor II the movie gave me. I've seen most of Oshii's other work but not a lot of it is really mecha related. I'm angling for more shows or films with adult protagonists that get into the nitty gritty of things rather than show where teenagers save the world with plucky can do attitude and crazy stunts. There's a time and place for that but Rooster Teeth's GenLock left me cold.

What is Fafner like?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GorfZaplen posted:

Fang of the Sun Dougram would be perfect

I may have to check this one out. I'm a huge fan of Kunio Okawara's mecha designs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It seems most of the stuff that appeals to me and your recommendations are all 80s and early 90s properties. Not that I'm complaining, just observing. I've tried to get into LOGH but I've never quite found the time to commit to it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is After the Rain worth looking at? It's wildly off from my usual watch of robots and thriller shows but the premise intrigues me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not so much a request for anime recs as much as a request for artists. I want to look up some cool robot designers. Not mecha designers per se, but robots. Stuff like Shinji Aramaki exosuit designs or Yoji Shinkawa's mechanical design for the Metal Gear games. I had a sudden urge to sketch some robitz and I'm looking for some more inspiration.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Colonel posted:

masami obari

tohru nakayama

Lol Masami Obari. He is the most "extra" designer I've ever seen. I kinda love him.

What has Nakayama worked on?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But they're the go-to guys for jank AF CGI animoos.

Blade Runner Black Lotus is gonna suck so hard.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gundam is slightly less overwhelming once you know you can cut down and focus on certain series in different continuities.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And I don't mean this as a diss but Gundam does have a bit of "seen one, seen 'em all" to their series thanks to recurring motifs as well as codifying a lot of the pillars of the real robot genre. If you're already familiar with one or two "war" mecha series made after 1980 you'll find Gundam easy to pick up since it is the well that all those shows draw from.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm gonna go search YouTube for a 5 minute supercut of kids starting a computer and saying "what's GUNDAM?!?"

I have a much better video to explain things for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvJ6eFcCJE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If a man wears a red Baron costume with raybans he's the main rival character

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That other kid threatening to kill everyone? Heero.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's also the most 80s thing imaginable and Chara Soon and Haman's hair metal outfits are impeccable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
0079 because it has the Zakrello which is the superior Mobile Armor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Outlaw Star.

Nah that's for fans of the Bigro

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Genocidal Organ good or is it rather fascist-y? I've seen clips of the pod drop scene on YouTube and it looks like it could just as easily be an intriguing hard sci-fi thriller or a pro military wankfest.

Hard sci-fi/speculative anime and films are surprisingly rare and good ones even more so. Jin-Roh springs to mind as the best, and maybe Lily Cat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Metal Gear, huh? So anti-war, anti capitalist, but with an intense fetish for military hardware and a whole heap of irony?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GorfZaplen posted:

The dub is good but I think the sub is best and preserves a lot of the humor better. The dub makes the main character the straight man which is a fundamental misunderstanding to the dyanamic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q5N9QqOYxM

Kamiyama as the straight man. Right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering the avalanche of high school setting shows I'm curious if theres any notable anime or manga out there that are set in high schools but are also set outside of Japan. It would either be neat to see their take on public education in other countries or it could be really really funny seeing every school primmed up like a private catholic boarding school.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

KillHour posted:

Great Pretender is also one of the best shows I've ever seen, anime or not.

They couldn't keep the Engrish going for more than ten minutes so that's an instant fail for me.

I mean the show is alright but I'm not that big a fan of those "how did they do it???" movies besides the two good Ocean's films. Great Pretender reminded me too much of Now You See Me and how much I hated the smug assholes in that movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On the topic of "shows outside of Japan" I know it's kind of cheating because they're science fiction, but Universal Century Gundam shows tend to be quite good in representing a more cosmopolitan view of the earth. Several of the space colonies show major American influence (especially the Side 6 colonies which might as well be small-town USA) and Hathaway did a really neat job depicting Davao.

The gold standard is still Cowboy Bebop where Mars is literally just Manhattan if Manhattan stole the rest of the world's landmarks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If I want some fantasy anime with more "out there" esoteric designs am I better off checking out 80s and 90s stuff? Not to paint with too broad a judgment brush but I find it hard to get too into current fantasy shows aside from Konosuba because they tend to share a default "european fantasy by way of anime" art style that feels pretty rote at this point. I'm certainly not watching Konosuba for the deep and intricate world building.

I remember liking Escaflowne the few times I caught an episode when it first aired in Canada, and Garzey's Wing is a hilarious watch. Are the other Tomino fantasy shows in that same "what the gently caress" ball park or did he put some effort in?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 29, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They're by far the most durable mobile suits in the whole franchise which has made its money off of big pink explosions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Scotiabank surviving the apocalypse and operating centuries in the future amuses me almost as much as Western Credit Union also surviving.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Coxswain Balls posted:

Wait, is there actually product placement for Canadian businesses because that's hilarious.

Ahahahahah oh poo poo, that's awesome.

Yeah they used Google Street View as references for the ground battle in Edmonton, so you end up getting stuff like this:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
08th MS Team had a director change halfway through because the first guy died IIRC and the show takes a bit of a nosedive. There's one or two good episodes after the director change but most of them are kind of lame and character motivations go off the rails.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 7, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's easy to pick up and get into, it's just fallen into more of a "middle of the pack" series compared to a lot of the newer shows.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are you watching it with the English dub? That's half the fun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Would you say that Wing is a 50 episode long shitpost?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is High Rise Invasion worth a look or am I better off watching something dumb like The Belko Experiment or Office Uprising?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Carole & Tuesday a good Watanabe show?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that's two for yes, and I watched a couple clips on YouTube. Watanabe and shows with a focus on music seem to go well together.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Son of a motherfucking bitch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kino's Journey?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arc Hammer posted:

Well that's two for yes, and I watched a couple clips on YouTube. Watanabe and shows with a focus on music seem to go well together.

Well, I watched the first episode.

gently caress it, I'm on board for this. That shot of the city skyline at night was gorgeous.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You could always play Civ 5.

More on that though, is there an equivalent of Gate that isn't also military fanwank?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was flipping through a list of Alternate History shows and I saw one called Konpeki No Kantai, Blue Water Fleet. Apparently it's about Admiral Yamamoto falling through a time portal after his plane was shot down and he gets to redo the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, take over the USA and then save Europe from Hitler with superior Japanese technology.

Is the series actually as nakedly pro imperialist as that premise suggests?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They'll print anything these days. Or back then, in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dogsicle posted:

seems mundane compared to Sei Michaela Gakuen

The synopsis seems a little brief for this one. Is it about a soldier reborn as a girl fighting in the Holy Crusade crusades or just a general crusade? Either way unless there's some real batshit crazy stuff in there that seems more funny than yikes.