Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Weyd posted:

We'll eventually be done with GITS and I've read that the sequel series are not as good so I was wondering what else we could check out - an action/sci-fi series in a similar vein to Cowboy Bebop, something with likeable characters, maybe some humour and preferably good art style/animation and soundtrack. Nothing too over the top, something that wouldn't scare a newcomer away.

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners absolutely fits the bill i'd say, even if you're very likely to shed tears during it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tabletops posted:

what about the bike racing one, i can't remember the name. I dropped it personally but some people seem to love it

Yowamushi Pedal

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

He’s pretty big conspiracy theorist, he actively follows people who promote far-right beliefs, before, he’s told lies about the covid-19 vaccine—we’ve had this conversation before.

I don’t know why goons rush to launder this guy’s reputation

i don't think anyone does

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

hey mom its 420 posted:

I just did everything there is to do in armored core 6 and I'm hyped for more mechs! Where do I start with mech animes and what are the best ones? The only one that has mechs in it that I watched is Evangelion

Gunbuster

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

In the mood for something different than my usual go to genres. Feeling like a good drama+comedy show could hit the spot, though I honestly have no idea where to even start.

Anything is fair game, even teenage drama if its handled well enough. Just no idol or magical girl shows.

i think i remember you posting about watching it, but if not, Akiba Maid War

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

It came up in the chat thread, and since Im sick and have nothing better to do: recommend me some late 90s/early 00s anime. Action preferred, comedy acceptable, horror/suspense I guess if its good, as little drama as possible.

e: The list of shows from that time period Ive seen can be counted on two hands so feel free to mention something even if it was super popular and you think I have seen it. I most likely have not.

Samurai Champloo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Zinkraptor posted:

I realize this is pretty vague and I apologize for that, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

off the top of my head, Akiba Maid War was a really good sleeper hit from last fall season. a bizarre premise but past that is a great mix of action, drama, and satire. highly recommend

also Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, which while it has an occasional funny moment is mostly serious, but everyone should watch it so i'm recommending it regardless

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go watch Nichijou.

correct response but that's also over ten years ago

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Madoka dude

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Code Geese

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rinkles posted:

I wanna watch a psychological thriller in the vein of Death Note. Or something like Monster.

I’ve already seen Code Gease, and some Kaiji.

Banana Fish mayyyybeeee...? lot more drama than psychological but it pwns

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Colonel posted:

there was also that one time ufotable committed tax evasion

hell yeah

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i guess Baccano! in a weird way

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

So my local theater plays some anime films every month and I've taken my friend who hasn't warched very much out to see two movies so far: Cowboy Bebop and then this past week we watched Paprika. He told me he really enjoyed both of them and said that he does want to try and tackle Eva at some point. I figure if he wants to try it I won't stop him but I'd still like to find some more film recommendations to try on him rather than TV series.

He told me that the things he really enjoyed about Paprika and Bebop were the vibes and the animation, which makes me think mood pieces might be a good fit. He's already down to watch Satoshi Kon's other movies if they play at the theater and I fully intend to strap him to a chair and Ludovico Technique him into enjoying Redline. Any other film suggestions based off what he said he likes?

Promare?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Annath posted:

I'm in the mood for some different schlocky trash.

Recommend me a reverse isekai. Doesn't have to be anime, manga and light novels are fine too.

For context about my bad taste - I genuinely enjoyed (most of) Sword Art Online.

Magical Witch Punie-chan

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Annath posted:

This looks a bit strange, but funny-strange.

it is very bizarre and has a lot of tonal whiplash but im a fan. I'd put money on you having seen this clip from it out of context before: https://youtu.be/scD18plp-dQ?si=mZL7GAuxcIH3Piso

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fucker posted:

looking for a good anime made in the past 5 years that looks SOVLful like cowboy bebop, perfect blue, interestella 5555, gto etc

theres been good shows lately, but its either too 3d cgi like mob psycho and chainsaw man or too stylized like odd taxi or sonny boy. its not the same

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, but also,

Julias posted:

I think you'll need to elaborate on what you mean by 'too stylized' because that's an extremely vague term and I would argue half the shows you cited as loving were very stylized in their own way too.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rinkles posted:

so this is gonna be broad, but please recommend me some 90s shows. i'm in the mood for traditional cel animation.

since i can't list everything relevant i've seen, here's the bigger stuff off the top of my head

evangelion
bebop
utena
outlaw star
sailor moon
trigun
nadesico
lain
captain harlock
banner of the stars

i just want to hear about shows you think are worth watching from that era

Gunbuster
Gunsmith Cats
Slayers

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Gunbuster's from the 80s.

who cares, it's roughly the same sort of style

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rinkles posted:

not sure what the right term is, but is slayers the kind of show where most of the episodes are standalone, and the show most of the time isn't that concerned with overarching plot?

episodic, and iirc yes though i've mainly watched the movies and OVAs so i'm saying yes to those

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Kumika's Sense of Taste is a fantastic, complete manga about an earth where aliens have made contact and integrated into human society. Kumika is an alien who can subsist entirely off the particles in the air, just by breathing, so she's never had to eat to survive. So when she's introduced to earth food, she learns to love eating for the joy of it, rather than necessity. Very fun, very cute, very chill series. also, one of her coworkers is just a straight-up xenomorph. :allears:

seconding this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

just realized that i don't think it was mentioned yet, but at least early on 'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess deals a good bit with the tantalization of delicious food. branches out from there to other fun things in life (to what extent i'm not sure since i've only watched the anime) but it never really eliminates food from the equation entirely