Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So, I watched Revolutionary Girl Utena recently. Are Ikuhara's newer shows in the same vein? Is there anything else remotley like it? Specifically, I am thinking of the characters, themes and clever visual allegories. If it helps, I liked the movie a lot.

Also, everyone should drop everything and watch Utena right now. I don't care if you've already seen it, just do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

StrixNebulosa posted:

You'll find similar visual themes in his other shows, but nothing I've seen has ever approached it.

Maybe Princess Tutu would be the closest?

Princess Tutu looks interesting. In what ways is it similar to Utena? Can you give a hint as to what sort of themes it covers?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fairy tales vs reality, the nature of stories, great characters and their development, a completely bizarre sense of humor... it's more dreamlike than Utena but in a good way.

That all sounds like the sort of stuff I like. Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out!

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Are there any good short mystery anime? Ideally, I am looking for something that has both a clever central mystery to solve/aimlessly speculate about and a core cast of interesting well-developed characters.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I'll be sure to check all of these series out.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
For a change, instead of asking for recommendations I am going to recommend something myself ITT. It haven't seen much discussion about it around here, so hopefully a few people stumble across my post and decides to check out this hidden gem for themselves.

I am talking about the Denpa teki na Kanojo OVA. It's only two 40-minute episodes, and I liked every single moment of it. It's about some very messed up high schoolers who responded to trauma by wrapping themselves in destructive delusions and hurting others in kind. It explores some very interesting themes in a very approachable, mature and measured way, as the protagonists, who are somewhat lost and messed up themselves, grow and develop through thwarting these crazy people.

The directing and cinematography is also very good, with a lot of creatively framed shots and such.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Is xxxHOLiC worth watching? The premise seems kind of similar to Natsume's Book of Friends but the character design and the name give off a bad horny vibe.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 13, 2021

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

AnoHito posted:

I remember liking it a lot. It has a nice mellow supernatural feeling to it.

It also wasn’t really horny at all, iirc. The name is somewhat infamously misleading.

Glad to hear it, sounds like it's exactly what I am looking for to follow up Natsume.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's one of the least horny series I can think of unless you really like noodle people I guess.

It was mainly the big boobs cleavage lady they put front and center that had me concerned tbh:

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I am in the mood for something with the same sort of sci-fi mystery/thriller vibe as Id: Invaded. Anyone know anything?

Is Psycho-Pass like that and/or actually good?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Just finished The Perfect Insider and thought it was a very well made and satisfying traditional style murder-mystery.

Does anyone know any other shows that have the same sort of who-dunnit detective feel? I know it's a popular genre for novels in Japan, but haven't heard of any other anime like that.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
For pepole who've seen the entire Monogatari series, can you tell me which is it closer in tone to: Bake, Kizu or Nise?

I was really impressed and engaged with Bake and the Kizu movies as a whole were a very special experience.

But I thought Nise was very meh. There's some good stuff in there and I actually enjoyed most of the banter, but I wouldn't be able to survive like 3 more seasons of Nise, that's for sure. It just feels meaningless, way too light on emotional engagement and character development.

So should I keep watching or no?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Thank you everyone, going to keep watching then and hope for good things.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Try Pretty Boy Detective Club

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
If I like time loop stories but hate isekai, would I enjoy Re:Zero?

Also, anyone know any other good time loop shows with an interesting mystery and/or good character development? Higurashi is amazing. Tatami Galaxy is exceptional. I tried Summmertime Rendering but couldn't get past the first episode.

Preferably anime, but wouldn't turn down manga or novels if they're exceptionally good.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 7, 2023

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Looking for shows with the same general vibe/themes as In/Spectre. Any ideas?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Thanks.

On a different note, can anyone recommend a relatively short (two cours max) show with a sense of accelerating forward momentum or constant escalation, where the status quo keeps being upended?

Something with the feel of Code Geass or Gundam Witch, but not necessarily mecha or even action based at all.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Already seen Akudama Drive and Baccano :negative:

Will gladly check out all this other stuff though

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Hello again, everyone. This time I am looking for a one cour or shorter anime that has some sort of central mystery that is unraveled/deduced by the characters. Something like Everything Becomes F or Zaregoto: Kubikiri Cycle. It doesn't necessarily have to involve detectives or be a murder mystery, just something that involves theories/reasoning. A moody atmosphere is a plus.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Already watched Odd Taxi, it was great. Seen Death Note too, it's neat but not really a mystery type of show from the viewers perspective.

Heard mixed things about Erased, is it any good?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Tales of Woe posted:

Mouryou no Hako

This looks to be exactly the sort of thing I was looking for from the synopsis, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

SexyBlindfold posted:

:thunk: Paranoia Agent? Monster?

Seen Paranoia Agent, was fantastic, but definitely not primarily a mystery show.

Monster is like an 80+ episode behemoth and I am not sure I am willing to commit to something of that size. Looking for something on the shorter side.