Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I am struggling with a request from my daughter (13); anime with lesbian protagonist that is neither handholding queerbait nor shonen ecchi pandering. The only good anime I ever watched that fit that bill was Utena which we watched together and she liked. But since that one, everything I'm finding is either demure handholding for 13 episodes, or boobs boobily boobing, (Or as in 'I'm in Love With the Villainess', some kind of hosed up S/d relationship). I've never been a Yuri fan, and 'innocent girl love' is not the kind of overt queerness she's looking for.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Julias posted:

Bloom into You

Falls squarely into the passionless handholding deniably lesbian problem, at least from skimming it. I keep hearing the manga is better, and I've recommended it to her and she'll read it sooner than later, but in the meantime she's asking he for stuff to watch and this is the first anime recommendation where I'm stumped.

Endorph posted:

the issue with seeking this out in anime is that a lot of yuri manga adaptations only get one season. for instance, something like bloom into you actually delves a lot into their developing relationship and isn't at all some kind of 'demure handholding,' but the anime only covers the early relationship stuff because it's only adapting about a third of the manga, so its like only watching the first third of a romance movie. so that is kinda all you get if you judge it just off the anime. it stillends with a kiss and stuff, just the anime alone is explicit, but you dont get the more complicated stuff just off the anime.

not to mention a lot of lesbian manga don't get adapted to begin with.

if shes up for reading instead of watching, there's a lot of manga thatd fit the bill, but in terms of anime the pool is much smaller and most adaptations are incomplete.

She reads a bunch, lay out those recs as well, I'm happy to buy them for her if she can't find them at the city library.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

It's a fair assessment that I don't give shows time to get to what I want out of them. Guilty as charged. I don't want to 'get through' half a season to get to the good parts, I want the anime to start with the interesting parts. I watched the first two episodes of both Bloom and Villainess and then skimmed the next 3 or 4 and it looked like more of the same.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

If it doesn't happen until the very end, that's like saying Evangelion is about meditating on a tram. A show is what the majority of it depicts; Bloom is a show wherein two girls avoid showing intimacy.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Endorph posted:

star wars isn't about a star war because they don't fly spaceships at each other until the last 20 minutes. do you hear yourself?
Literally opens with a spaceship battle

The Colonel posted:

the arc of bloom involving the two leads interacting with each other under the pretense of romance that burns into a genuine love for each other is not dissimilar from utena centering on the "fake" husband/wife dynamic between utena and anthy, to anthy coming to genuinely understand utena and how utena cares for her and being able to truly reciprocate it at the end. romance blooming out of what seemed like initially false pretenses is one of the oldest stories in the book
Utena is a good story about a proud lesbian with a developing romance. There's a reason I recommended it and watched it with her again. I don't want to recommend her a story wherein the characters hide their queerness.

I am literally looking for more shows like Utena.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Me: I'm looking for stories about girls who are comfortably romantically involved with each other and their developing relationship from that point on.

You: texbook homophobia.

Consider as explicit from this point on any comment I make is directed at anyone but you.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Endorph posted:

i realize i got kinda heated and i apologize, and i hope you take my recs seriously despite that, but speaking as a lesbian ive had to deal with a lot of people downplaying explicitly lesbian art because it doesnt meet their arbitrary, inconsistent criteria and its an exhausting and everpresent form of homophobia that seems to mostly target lesbian creators. its fine to say you dont like certain types of writing but implying the intent of writing like bloom into you's is to be 'deniably lesbian' is incredibly hurtful and cruel for a number of reasons. and im not even an especially big fan of bloom into you, its just successful lesbian art made by a queer woman. painting it with that brush because you skimmed 6 episodes of an incomplete adaptation and decided it didn't meet your standards is, yeah, a little homophobic. Not intentionally so, but still.

You didn't say 'I just wanted this first thing,' you said it was 'deniably lesbian.' Those are different statements.
I appreciate where you're coming from. My out and proud daughter that I love dearly is asking me for advice on something I've shared with her (my love of anime) and this if the first time I really don't have a good answer I like for her. I hesitate to say I'm looking for role models for her, but kinda? Something aspirational? But also messy and dramatic because that's part of romance. She also recently got dumped for the first time by a friend that never seemed to return as much affection as I saw her putting forth and that's got me a little critical here as well.

I don't think Bloom is intentionally how I described it, I think its the result of the truncated adaptation. Again, I recommended the manga to her.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Update from last night's Dad & Daughter anime club night:

Slot 1 (anime more than 10 years old) - Yakitate Japan!: continuing from last year, we're about halfway through, it's new to both of us and still great

Slot 2 (anime currently airing) - Dungeon Meshi: she has impeccable taste and likes it possibly more than I do. She told me was going to check the library to see if they have the manga this weekend.

Slot 3 (daughter's choice) - Promised Neverland: she somehow managed to have this show recommended to her by friends but also didn't know the twist (going by her aghast face) but is into it and I'm along for the ride.

Slot 4 (wildcard) - Bloom Into You: I didn't find a better suggestion. She said thanks Dad, it was OK, we should try a different show. Apparently what I missed from earlier this week is that she was asking about shows with Lesbian protagonists but that aren't a romance, just lesbians doing cool stuff. So I'm even more stumped than I was to start with.

Also, to clarify Utena, I was imprecise in my language. Utena is an overtly queer anime from the first episode. Not a lesbian purity thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The only mecha show I tried with her was Escaflowne which she wasn't into after 3 episodes, so might give G-Witch a try. 2022's Currently-Airing slot was Spy X Family, and last years Old slot was R.O.D. so secret agent stuff like Noir and Lycoris Recoil might work as well.

I'm like 80% sure she has read at least some of Touhou, and I'm going to check a bunch of the other manga titles against our city library system's catalogue.