Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hirai's designs worked great in s-CRY-ed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fafner is hard to get into, the first 11 or so episodes are not great. Get past that, and it becomes excellent, especially when you hit the movie which is peak. Then it gets a bit too dark for its own sake (and it didn't start particularly nice either) but it's still enjoyable.

EDIT: New (I think?) Grendizer U trailer that Youtube helpfully suggested to me. The editting in it is so insane that I can't tell what's going on but hey, we have the protagonists and Mazinger Z's around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4MYXdte9MM

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 30, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

So at the gym this morning this guy was playing over the TV music set and the mecha on the album art caught my eyes. It looks like a custom art piece but I'm trying to figure out which mecha designer it reminds me of most. At first I thought Katoki but on closer inspection not so much. But it's still very familiar so I want to try and pin down the source of inspiration.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Not enough Yanase panels.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Blaze Dragon posted:

EDIT: New (I think?) Grendizer U trailer that Youtube helpfully suggested to me. The editting in it is so insane that I can't tell what's going on but hey, we have the protagonists and Mazinger Z's around.

It's weird to imagine Fukuda directing a not just a super robot show but a classic Go Nagai style super robot show ityool 2024. That said, the various enemy Grendizer designs do look kind of cool?

No chance in hell this won't be a mess but maybe it'll be a fun mess?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

This better lead to Shin great mazinger

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Oh, that is the Shin Mazinger Z design, ain't it?

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 3, 2024

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Siegkrow posted:

This better lead to Shin great mazinger

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Yeah that grendizer looks is very, very close to the Shin Mazinger one. And I have to rewatch on a bigger screen but the Mazinger itself looks to be the same one...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I seriously doubt this is in the Shin Mazinger continuity simply because Koji and Sayaka have new VAs, instead of reusing their Shin Mazinger ones. Mazinger continuities are usually consistent in this - each continuity has their set of VAs.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

If it isn't, then I hope that this leads to enough I test for shin Mazinger to at least get an ova

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
my friends please truly consider how much you want a shin great mazinger connected to a fukuda production

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Blaze Dragon posted:

I seriously doubt this is in the Shin Mazinger continuity simply because Koji and Sayaka have new VAs, instead of reusing their Shin Mazinger ones. Mazinger continuities are usually consistent in this - each continuity has their set of VAs.

I mean, it's been, like, 15 years, maybe they couldn't get them or something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think shin great is any more likely now than it was when shin mazinger first came out and flopped hard.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
The only mecha mentioned in the OP that i haven't seen is Giant Robo. So I'm correcting that now. Watched the first ep today. This deffo has a style to it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's sick

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, realized I hadn't mentioned that I saw the second Frontier movie when I watched it, so...

I watched Macross Frontier: The Wings of Goodbye.

I think I see what people mean when saying it's more to be watched after the show, because it felt really low in details for the setting and the cast beyond the leads.

The high percentage of music video scenes also stood out. It wasn't just plot montages and the big action scene like in Do You Remember Love. The Frontier films have multiple music sequences that pretty much just exist to be flashy musical sequences, which isn't bad, but it does feel... loose. More something to enjoy for people who were fans already than something to get new viewers onboard.

It's funny. The fights are impressive, and I really enjoyed seeing them on their own, but in the context of the full film, they feel more weightless than they do as individual scenes.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

So, realized I hadn't mentioned that I saw the second Frontier movie when I watched it, so...

I watched Macross Frontier: The Wings of Goodbye.

I think I see what people mean when saying it's more to be watched after the show, because it felt really low in details for the setting and the cast beyond the leads.

The high percentage of music video scenes also stood out. It wasn't just plot montages and the big action scene like in Do You Remember Love. The Frontier films have multiple music sequences that pretty much just exist to be flashy musical sequences, which isn't bad, but it does feel... loose. More something to enjoy for people who were fans already than something to get new viewers onboard.

It's funny. The fights are impressive, and I really enjoyed seeing them on their own, but in the context of the full film, they feel more weightless than they do as individual scenes.

FWIW, most Macross movies are like that. They're a general retelling of stuff that happened in the show but streamlined, maybe some poo poo's different, maybe not. They do kind of lean heavily into the expectation that you watched the show and have some idea as to what the gently caress is going on or who the gently caress anybody is that doesn't explicitly get a fast lore dump. Also because of Kawamori's general philosophy of "lulz who knows" when it comes to what is canon or not canon or if there's even a canon, you also kind of have to take it as a standalone thing on top of that.

They're usually really pretty because movie budget, but they also tend to not have a ton of weight to them.

Such is the life of a Macross fan.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Eventually a Macross fan will just watch all of it.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFD6TujMsj4

A modern take on Dunbine? Think this is a pretty big miss but it's interesting that it exists I guess.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I always thought it was weird Sunrise never jumped on the isekai bandwagon and revived Dunbine. But this isn't what I had in mind. I think it's a little uncanny when they try to recreate shots from the old anime one-for-one, but otherwise the designs are extremely faithful. The CG looks really good, too. Some of the shots look like they were plucked right out of a model kit box. And as it turns out Kamikaze Douga is involved.

I'd check it out, if they decided to make this a series. But I would be really disappointed if it was just making the same anime again.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
As I understand it it's just a remake of the OP, ED and a scene from the show. it's not going to be a full thing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
....why?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Iserlohn posted:

I always thought it was weird Sunrise never jumped on the isekai bandwagon and revive Dunbine.

After Garzey's Wing and Wings of Rean that IP is probably safely stored in a box at the back of a Sunrise warehouse, radiating an unpleasant aura whenever someone dares approach

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont understand Sunrise.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was going to suggest a Gundam isekai, but then I realized a story about a character losing their home and everything they know and being transported to a world of war and Mobile Suits has already been done multiple times in regular Gundam.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gripweed posted:

I was going to suggest a Gundam isekai, but then I realized a story about a character losing their home and everything they know and being transported to a world of war and Mobile Suits has already been done multiple times in regular Gundam.

Also if you want a Gundam isekai that already exists, Build Divers Re:Rise.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RangerKarl posted:

As I understand it it's just a remake of the OP, ED and a scene from the show. it's not going to be a full thing.

Just an experiment/test bed kind of thing, then?

Iserlohn posted:

I always thought it was weird Sunrise never jumped on the isekai bandwagon and revived Dunbine.

To be fair, Dunbine as it exists (existed?) is very unlike the modern popular form of isekai.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also Sunrise is giving us an Isekai in 2024 with a new Mashin Hero Wataru anime!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Xabungle is a boypretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Fafner is hard to get into, the first 11 or so episodes are not great. Get past that, and it becomes excellent, especially when you hit the movie which is peak. Then it gets a bit too dark for its own sake (and it didn't start particularly nice either) but it's still enjoyable.

I rewatched this on a bigger screen and I am a wee bit scared that Grendizer has irises. Nothing good comes out of Super Robots with complete eyes.