Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It has a stupid head fin, must be a Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

TBF Bright is operating at a high socked-in-the-face deficit.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Not enough intra-service fratricide to be a perfect analogy for Imperial Japan, though.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Warmachine posted:

You saw 08th MS Team right?

Or the M'quve storyline?

I know what I said. Bumping off your incredibly-connected academy buddy/lover was just Tuesday afternoon. One of my criticisms of 0079 Gundam is that Zeon is substantially less dysfunctional than Imperial Japan.

RE: IBO, Biscuit isn't just the person keeping them from doing stupid things, his death is literally what causes them to go over the edge. When Orga delivers his big dumb speech to the kids about getting revenge for Biscuit's death, Merribit actually calls him on it and says something to the effect of "Are you nuts, not only should we not do this in the first place, we're on a job right now." Orga just kind of blows past it without acknowledging anything she said, and that's pretty much all she wrote for Tekkadan.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

It turns out being a child solider is a pretty miserable experience!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

IBO does have a lot of tiny minor variations of the Graze, but - have you considered the Graze fukkin' rules?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Hot take for the day: Carta was a pretty good character, even if her place in the show unfortunately required her to get done dirty.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The other reason I like Carta is that she's the reason both sides in IBO are culpable. Season 1 spoilers: Merribit has her texual moment where she grabs Orga and says "What are you, stupid? You did your job and now you're about to throw everything you've built away and kill a bunch of these kids because of your pride?" right before Alberta, and Orga goes "Yes, I am that stupid, why do you ask?"

Carta poses that exact question for McGillis. Instead of his idiotic twelve dimensional chess plan, all he had to do was maintain normal human relationships with his two friends/lovers, the other scions of the most powerful Gjallarhorn families, and he'd end up on top of the heap with a lot fewer dead people to his name. Instead, he specifically pushes her into the whirling chipper-shredder that is Mika. Yes, McGillis does think a wig and a mask will protect him from the consequences of his actions, why do you ask?

Every tragic event in IBO happens that doesn't stem from the sociopolitical conditions of the setting, which the show goes out of its way to criticize, is a result of the characters acting like egotistical morons and shounen cliches. The production team actually created a narrative, instead of whatever the hell Trigger's up to these days. It's really good!

Also her visual design is really cool and she has the best Graze in the show, so like, top-tier character.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Mika's got stuff to do, ain't got time to wait for a speech.

And McGillis has a desperate need to convince both the world and himself that he's a genius strategist. There is a at least a little justification for him expositing all the time.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

To follow up on a previous thread of the conversation, what's your take on Kudelia and Atra now that you've finished the first season?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I think it's probably a mistake to assume much anything in Tem Ray's life changed after the oxygen deprivation. Maybe his engineering ability is a little rougher, but he was just as lovely a dad before he was spaced as he was after.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The Rays are both monstrous people and it's astounding Amuro turned out as normal as he did.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

See, my point is that the only thing getting spaced did to Tem is impair his abilities as an engineer, if even that. It's not like he forgot who Amuro was or that he existed - he recognizes him and processes what's happened to his son immediately - he just didn't care, and that's in line with what we know of his behavior prior to the series. Amuro lives alone in a garbage dump of his own in what is ostensibly their shared home, and Frau is the only thing keeping him from going totally feral.

When Amuro tells himself that brain damage is why his father doesn't care about him anymore, he's lying to himself. He does that a lot in the first portion of the series, with his delusions about how important he is to the crew and to the war effort as the pilot of the Gundam, how he's the only one qualified to make decisions about the Gundam, etc. That facade that he's constructed first starts to break down when he gets locked in solitary, and he has to start facing what he's done and how he acts. He does a lot of growing up in the course of a year, and if he'd run into Tem later, I think that scene plays out a lot differently.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Onmi posted:

Char learned...

Let me stop you right there.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The Notorious ZSB posted:

[Gundam series] is just 0079 with a few shades of variance for around the first 20 episodes, so its not the most compelling stuff (not to say that its bad story, just that its very familiar ground) until they get to [the point].

Let us be honest with ourselves.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

McGillis is the most accurate Char clone, since he's a colossal loving idiot.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The people that tell Kamille it was good and fitting that he was abused are the most gullible space Nazi and Char. I don't think we're supposed to trust their judgement or find them to be moral exemplars.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I initially got on Etsy to look for a ring but got it in my head to search Gundam Wing and found this. I saw it and felt the need to share, if only because I would never have thought that Gundam character would get a big boob mouse pad.

Come on, Akihiro is right there.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The Federation leadership is full of idiots, but it's not totally implausible. Normally I'd hate to Godwin myself, but the OYW is pretty explicit about its real-world parallels.

Picture a United States run by the same people who fomented the Business Plot, only Japan launches some technomagical nuclear Pearl Harbor attack that kills half the country's population, either in the initial strike or through environmental failure over the course of six months. A bunch of cowardly kleptocrats might be motivated to surrender without a famous public figure openly calling them on their bullshit.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I know, it's just admitting it is :dawkins101: but instead it's Bright tossing a gunpla.

Surrender and face to handwave. Those particles ain't gonna Minovsky themselves, you know.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, but you have to greet each other and spend five minutes before each fight making ritualized "let me axe you a question" jokes before each fight, or you don't get invited to the Seven Stars' parties anymore.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

As God as my witness, he is broken in half.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Just because Karen gets jobbed every episode so the plot will continue doesn't mean she doesn't drive a Gundam.

efb

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Dang, I don't think I've ever seen the shelves that bare over there.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

People I really don't wanna die: most of Tekkadan, Kudelia, Takaki + sis, Naze, Lafter, Azee

People I think are gonna die: most of Tekkadan, Naze, Lafter, McGillis, Gali Gali (again), McMurdo

People I don't think are gonna die but I really want them to: space Hitler dude

People who I really really want to die: Iok, Jasley

I can cross a few off now where I'm at. I do wish that Akihiro got the Jasley kill, though.

Depends on if Space Hitler starts bringing up his tragic back story, totally unprompted.

For what it's worth, the best character makes it out alive.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Warmachine posted:

This is distressingly vague even as someone who knows the death list for IBO.

Oh, and Lafter is up there with Marida for deaths made explicitly to torment the characters and audience.

:v:

IBO spoilers: Atra is the best. :colbert:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Lok died though?

Not even as a joke.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

Who was your personal best? I'm glad that Ride's Wild Ride hasn't stopped.

Atra. It's probably not a coincidence that in this series about manly men doing doomed manly men things, the secret toughest character who actually obtains some degree of self-actualization is a little girl.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The first ED for IBO with the bluesy number was good.

Orphans no Namida is maybe the one song in the franchise that can compete with Here Comes Char.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

sassassin posted:

She has the main character's baby and that fulfils her life's purpose. Uplifting stuff.

Survives the violent suppression of her found family, moves on, grows up and helps to break the cycle of violence, has a little farm where she cares for her kid and other orphans. Gets married to a nice older woman, depending on who you believe.

Yeah, pretty shallow character. Let's go back to talking about Banagher, who

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

And Campbell Lane brings his best Homeworld Narrator voice.

Huh. How about that?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

I’m like 19 eps in to ibo and this char is pretty loving lame.

:munch:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I mean, Jerid's really stupid.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The real problem at the Tekkadan Halloween party is when Orga shows up in his mobster costume.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Super petty ANT gripe - Zeta's already pretty visually excellent and didn't really need any tinkering, let alone the substandard effort we got.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I wish I could forget Iok. That guy sucks.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

(That said, there are things like the Victory Gundam's core fighter taking multiple hits without exploding, but I did mention some of this was just plain old plot mechanics. Shiro's Invinciball isn't the first time or the last that Gundam made units with the protagonists in them much more durable just because the heroes were there.)

Objection, Your Honor - it's well known that the combat effectiveness of an 08th MS team character is inversely proportional to their merits as a human being and should not be applied as a rubric to other entries in the franchise. I can offer Joshua v. Massis as a citation.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Does it get explained in a later series and/or movie?

Edit: Also, I figure the helmet is probably just a visual identifier that is unique to Char and reminiscent of old Shogun/Samurai helmets

IIRC it's sort of that by telephone. I believe the word from either YAS or Tomino is that Char's mask is supposed to be reminiscent of Darth Vader, who is in turn styled off samurai helmets. Somebody around here will know for sure, though.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

Requisite gently caress You Iok Kujan.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

You must have a hell of a pressure differential set up inside your skin if you regularly have that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I got colony dropped in a basement with like five other people, it was great, you just don't get that same feel from the performance now that they've gotten big.