Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

And yet, as weird as Tomino gets about women, his anime still feels like sexist than many made today.

I mean, unless it'S just me who gets that feeling.

It depends on the show for me. Most of his stuff is fine for a Japanese show made for boys, and Turn A is straight up feminist, but we still have Victory's Bikini Squad and Zeta's Reccoa to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is canonically what Zakus are supposed to look like

What is Fraw's expression even supposed to be?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

tsob posted:

Zechs is already one step too far in my opinion. Before Wing, most Char type characters were fairly superficial in their aping of the guy and several shows didn't have a Char at all (ZZ is questionable, 0080, 0083, 08th MS Team and G had none) but Wing had Zechs be a straight up copy of Char in almost every facet while condensing his entire character arc in to one show. Zechs isn't one step too far, he's an entire tango too far.

Gato is questionable; Schwarz is fairly obviously A CHAR.

Well, he's more of A QUATTRO, but still. Po-tay-toes, po-tah-toes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Honestly, so much of Victory is tied up in toy company weirdness and Tomino's issues that it'd be an entirely different show if those weren't involved.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Are SD Gundams really overwhelmingly popular amongst girls? Like, I get that the Japanese girl stereotypically likes 'cute' things, but most of the main female characters in the Gundam Build franchise use SD Gundams or 'cute' versions of normal Gundams. I can't tell if this is based on actual market research or just a Japanese toy company barely bothering to sell outside their demographic.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

tsob posted:

I can only think of two, Fumina and the ninja girl in this one. On the other hand, no girls (or anyone) in the original Build Fighters used them and in Try there was Gyanko, Lady, Shia and several others who didn't and there's at least one girl in this using a Kapool/Ball thing too. I'd be more annoyed there are so many Bearguy variations, because I am sick to my stomach of loving Bearguys and so glad the girl in this is using a Kapool custom instead. As to just cute models, again, the original Build Fighters had Aila using a regular model custom built using non-cute aesthetics and Gyanko and Lady did the same in Try too.

Yeah, I may have overstated things. I guess I'm counting the Kapool/Ball as a 'cute' thing which makes almost all of the protagonist girls in a 'cute' mech.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The important thing is that there's a 'Diver Fashion Show' mode and if there isn't at least one episode dedicated to the True Endgame of any MMO, I will be very sad.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Gunpla shows are great because it lets you enjoy the giant robot fighting without having to worry too much about newtypes or whatever the new word is for 'fancy human'.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I don't mind the idea of newtypes. I just think they're massively overplayed, and feel like they made two shows (OO and SEED) worse by existing.

Though I suppose Coordinators are SEED newtypes instead of SEED itself.

Was there ever an explanation for SEED mode and why 5 unrelated people, including a Natural, got it?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Monaghan posted:

-Heero has promised to kill half the cast and has not followed through on a single occasion.

He's just shy. That's his way of saying 'hello'.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I wouldn't mind an original series remake, but then it'd probably be followed up with a Zeta remake and no one wants that.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Here.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

G-Reco had a good opening theme.

That is the extent of my knowledge on G-Reco.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

One day, I dream that all of my favorite shows will have Japanese stage productions. They are dumb and I love them.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 14, 2018

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Stage plays are pretty common for Japanese media. There's Phoenix Wright, Personas 3 and 4, Sailor Moon (a bunch), the already-linked Resident Evil...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Nothing UC, please. Or at least something late UC.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oh boy time to fight some more Zeon remnants. My favorite thing in the world.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

To be fair, Age would be difficult to adapt in any SRW game unless they're willing to commit to sequels.

But yeah, I don't think there's any suits pushing the SRW team to plan another series of sequels just for Age.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tae posted:

SRW games had Zeta and double Zeta happen at the exact same time

No one should ever say "Well, it'd be hard to do in SRW" because that's never been true

I mean, it's one thing to have timeline fuckery. It's another thing to have the main character's child show up and be older than they are currently.

...I say to someone with an Awakening avatar.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You know, we keep getting darker and grittier sequels and spinoffs to relatively happy shows.

I want a brighter and happier spinoff to a dark show that isn't just 'Evangelion, but it's a harem anime'.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I like Gundam X entirely because Garrod isn't the usual gundam protagonist, which is incredibly refreshing.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kanos posted:

I dunno. He's also not particularly unique, in my opinion. He's a junk dealer/thief/vagabond(Judau) at the outset whose entire motivation for pretty much the entire series is "protect the girl", which is also Judau's motivation for the first half of ZZ. Even Garrod's plotline of wanting to get strong enough to beat newtypes is a permutation of "I want to protect Tifa".

Hell, even his fashion sense is basically just cribbed from Judau:

vs

e: Holy poo poo I just thought about it and realized that both of them are introduced by them trying to steal and sell the protagonist Gundam.

Yes, and I also like Judau.

I was meaning in that it wasn't yet another character like Kamille. I've had enough of angsty teenage newtypes who are sad about war.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

There's always Paptimus Scirocco, The Man From Jupiter.

Basically, the UC always has terrible things coming from Jupiter.

To be fair, it's not just UC. Jupiter is just a bad place for mecha anime in general.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Huh, time to finally watch the dub I guess.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I got into IBO late so I was baffled by the fact that McGillis turned out to be the guy's first name and not his last name.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

On the grandest timescale all women die.

Though yes I do see your point, even if I think every single defense of Zeta's I've seen includes the caveat that the way women are handled is, at the very least, weird, if not outright misogynistic.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Fair enough. I don't think we will ever get close to Victory's treatment of women ever again, yeah.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The important thing is that Turn A, the Best Gundam, has the respect it deserves.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Judau probably isn't.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Is not autism.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I've always heard it's a mis-translation but I can't speak Japanese so I have no idea.

That opening narration always confused me, too. Zeon feels a lot more villainous in other non-0079 series, what with us not actually seeing the heinous poo poo they got up to start the war and the narrator making it sound like a mutually horrific, destructive conflict.

I mean even in 0079 they tell us the first thing Zeon did was launch a colony drop and there's a whole conversation where their leader gets compared to Hitler, so.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am baffled that the Core Fighter was in Seed Destiny, but that also had Zakus, so whatever.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes, good, excellent.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Victory isn't bad but it is aggressively bad about women.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There are exactly, like, two reasonable people in Zeta, and they're Kai and Mirai, who both leave the show as soon as they can.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

The hormonal teenager with recently dead parents had plenty of reasons

The hormonal teenager with recently dead abusive parents and almost certainly some sort of neurodivergence has plenty of reasons to do dumb poo poo, yes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Nor should he. They were very stupid.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Beecha looking better in that picture then he ever did in the show.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Depends. If the bits of Victory she watched were entirely focused on the best/stupidest Zanscare mechs that isn't necessarily a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gato is playable in more than one Super Robot Wars game. This doesn't necessarily mean much (loving Yazan is playable in some games and he's as evil as they come) but I do think it is a way to show how some people see him.