Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

There's like no way something the size of a colony wouldn't leave a Yucatan size crater that can only be seen from space, right? Aren't like continent killing asteroids the size of a few football fields? What, did Zeon fire the colony thrusters on the way down?

Probably. The Chicxulub impactor was anywhere from 11 - 81 km in diameter, but it weighed between 1.0 x 10^15 and 4.6 x 10^17 kg and going pretty fast (20 km/s) and had a pretty steep angle of impact.

So a colony drop should have a pretty big crater, but not 150+ km large. But it would probably cause a lot of climate effects and a fuckton of toxic materials sent into the atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Goddamnit, second half ZZ, why'd you turn my goofy himbo boy Mashymre into a war criminal!?

Isn't everyone in Gundam a war criminal?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

loving finally

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

You guys aren't making a good case for ne to finish SEED.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

i wanna see what UC 0300 looks like

what is the far future of gundam's far future? what does amuro think sci fi looks like?

Isn't that Reconquista in G? Or is that even furtherer into the far future?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Relin posted:

how did qatre know trowa got his memory back

how did dorothy know qatre was behind the gundams' tactics

this show is such a clown fiesta

Wing woulda been a lot better if they'd thrown out the Zero system stuff and made Heero, Quatre, Zechs and Dorothy in newtypes or something.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The 00 movie is on the GundamInfo YT channel if anyone's interested.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

muike posted:

i figured the bitcoin mining rig would be a dead giveaway that i was maybe being slightly facetious

Sarcasm doesn't work over the internet.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is there more to G-Reco than the movies, or is it like a 0079 thing where the movies are just a streamlined/trimmed down version of a show?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kanos posted:

This is true down to his emblem in CCA:

Amuro had the unicorn imagery a long time before Unicorn existed.

So was Amuro secretly a Brony?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah I meant that Earth should remove itself even mpre from the Earth. They clearly arent hurting for material with all the sides rhey were able to build.

Now that I'm thinking of it... is Pluto still a planet in this timeline?

That debate is actually what started the OYW

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Nessus posted:

I think it's generally held that a fusion reactor that burst would make a big explosion that was slightly radioactive but it would be like a gas tank blowing up, not a nuclear bomb. Like you certainly would want to avoid it in a space colony because you could cause some serious issues, but it isn't an atomic weapon.

Hell, even a nuclear reactor melting down wouldn't create a nuclear explosion.

Of course, Minovsky physics means "who knows"

From what I recall of Battletech discussions on the same subject, cracking a fusion reactor would most likely release a cloud of radioactive steam. Not good for the local plants, animals, or humans in the immediate vicinity, but it wouldn't cause anywhere near the physical damage an actual nuke would.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Droyer posted:

I've been tuned out of gundam news for like a month, did we get any new witch of mercury info?

The only thing I've seen is that the official English name is "The Witch From Mercury"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

International Logo:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/shimmybuffett/status/1480785376423788544?t=Oxut6cqlIlRiOmAKQYkZSw&s=19

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Yinlock posted:

isn't "the gundam fights are barely better than actual war" a plot point of the show, Shenanigans are just par for the course

the planet turning into a karate robot free-for-all every 4 years is probably not great for people unrelated to karate robots

There's literally an entire episode that spells that out

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

What are Amuro and Mika's respective power levels?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

is this a zone of the enders reference

The memes, Jack! The memes!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

You don't even have to go back that far. Look up what Russian conscripts have been up to in Ukraine and you'll see the same thing, even as they're being treated like absolute garbage by their high command.

Moving back to lighter instances of massive war crimes, I'm curious what kind of structure Witch from Mercury's protagonist group will have. The outfit on the poster looks like it could be military, suggesting a classic UC style "protagonists in one army against another army", but we've gotten a wide variety of setups before, with informal militias in Victory and Turn A, small independent factions in late CE, rogue terrorists in Wing and 00, and a PMC in Iron Blooded Orphans. Different structures mean different story possibilities, so it'll be interesting to see how things play out.

(Still weird that Tekkadan is one of the most disciplined Gundam factions.)

Judging by your examples, we're due for another PMC.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/RussellLatshaw/status/1443843456061878287?s=20&t=3zt2j8SPBsXp-ET-61PS2w

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cleretic posted:

So, 00 season two question: Did they ever explain how Marina and the orphans' song keeps getting out and being heard? The show explained why it's proliferating, but not how a performance in the middle of a valley somehow got heard by multiple aircraft and then somehow wartorn civilians.

I'm approaching the end of season two, and it feels like it has that classic problem where it tries to do too many ideas at once, and so fails to give any of them the full time they might need. Some of it happens to work (I like Maria/Soma's deal, and Louise is ultimately finding a landing that works), and a lot of it happens to... not.

The song was heard because quantum.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Briarcliff Marlendo

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wonder what the deal with Mobile Suits will be in Witch from Mercury.