Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I picked up the first volume of Gundam The Origin and... I am actually liking this retelling a lot better than the TV series and the movies. Like, the RX-78-1's inclusion at the beginning was an interesting new element, but it made sense overall.

Too bad it's going to cost the equivalent of a car note to pick up the rest of these volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also, I feel dumb, but I just realized that the Neue Ziel is literally just a flying Zeon insignia.

"It's like the spirit of Zeon itself has come to life," says Gato; I guess he was being pretty literal.

That, and it helps that the thing put the I-Field inside of the mobile armor unlike the GP03.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Marx Headroom posted:

I did appreciate the plot lines in the middle where Merribit, Biscuit, etc were all "HEY THIS IS GETTING hosed UP AND WEIRD" but were ignored, thats kinda interesting, but yeah "Can Tekkadan pull off the crazy plan?? The answer may surprise you" gets old

There was one particular moment in the last 5 or so episodes where this question comes up, and the only verbal reaction I could make is "I genuinely feel bad for everyone involved in this."

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

After rewatching Victory three months back, it wasn't that bad for me but it was just... bizarre.

The death count made death lose all kind of meaning except for one unexpected character in particular near the end of the finish line (Tomino did that character dirty man).

I am legitimately surprised Zanscare conquered anything; they are filled almost top to bottom with complete psychopaths who shouldn't even drive automobiles, let alone piloting mobile suits or commanding fleets.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Victory just has absolutely no idea what story it wants to tell. It's all over the place with the antagonists, no one has a clear motivation, the designs are really out there in a not good way imo. I just could not find it in myself to sympathize or care about anyone in the series. The fact that the finale is a completely disjointed mess hurts it too. People appear, disappear, we're expected to care about folks who exist for 2 episodes but then get referenced by folks that we have seen in 10+ episodes later like we should remember them. It's just badly badly constructed imo.

I watched the series with a friend and when we heard Chronicle's main motivation and master plan on episode like forty-loving-eight, we were just like "loving really man? You put up with this bullshit for this long and that's all you want to accomplish?"

MechaX fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 27, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

The Notorious ZSB posted:

WE HAVE TO GO BACKKKKKKKKK

TO KASARELLIAAAAA :negative:

"Uso, let me go talk to Uncle Chronicle! I bet I can convince him to stop running over cities with giant motorcycle battleships! :downs:"

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Outside of Shiro and Aina's extremely rushed romance and Shiro suddenly being like "gently caress both the Federation and Zeon" despite not really seeing the former do anything too bad and the latter kind of... gassed his home colony, I never had any complaints about the 08th MS Team cast. Even Eledore and Michel being obnoxious at times served a point and they grew as characters because of it. And on the Zeon side, you do have people like Norris and that tank commander voiced by Lord Zedd who were pretty cool people.

On 0083, South Burning is cool... Keith and Mora are kind of there, but unoffensive. But Kou is a bit of a dweeb. Everyone on the Federation side is just... there, or is absolutely insufferable like Nina.

I never really liked Delaz and Gato all that much. Gato drank that Zeon koolaid a little too much and hard, and he seems to gloss over the horrifying poo poo that Zeon did in Operation British and the first few months of the OYW, despite how it should be relatively common knowledge given their dislike of Cima (in which she is also in a bit of a lovely situation and was left holding the ball for one of the gassings). Like, I guess it works if you have limited knowledge of what actually happened in the OYW and all you know is that "Federation and Zeon had a war three years ago." But if you do... man, gently caress all of those Delaz Fleet guys.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Their entire goal was to repeat Operation British. Of course they knew.

For the colony drop, sure. Although I guess the distinction is that they wanted to starve Earth this time rather than lobbing a nuke-filled colony onto Federation HQ.

I was just referring to things like the colony gassings of other spacenoids and Zeon's own nuke use (technically both before and after the Antarctic Treaty, depending on which version of Odessa one wants to go with). And despite all of this, in one instance, Gato makes a point to emphasize that the Federation is more evil because.. uh... they had a nuke Gundam that they may or may not have used on Axis one day if they wanted to start poo poo back up.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 28, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Garma and Dozle were also heavily against the Genocide stuff.

Also going back to the Titans and motivations. The only ones there who were really just plain evil were Bask Om and Yazan.

After watching both Zeta and ZZ recently, I don't know if I would necessarily call Yazan evil. He likes mobile suit combat a little too much, but you could put in on Londo Bell or something and he'd be the exact same.

He is not a good person by any means, but he shows a moral fiber sometimes. He and that one captain were both like "nah, ya'll are hosed up, I am not doing that" when the colony gas operation happened. And... well, what he did to Jamaican was hosed up, Jamaican was a bit of a monster himself.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

One step less evil than 'willing to use weapons of mass destruction on civilian targets' is still pretty loving evil.

He barely has any motivation behind "they told me to fight this? I'll go fight that," so I would say he's at least a half flight down for Gundam purposes.

Now someone like Ali from 00, now that guy is loving evil

MechaX fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 30, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I liked it when a dude beat Kamille unconscious because he skipped some meeting to play with a Haro

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

What the hell i was gonna say “hardly a cougar shes gotta be like only 30ish”

21 good lord.

It gets all bad across the entire Gundam franchise with stuff like that.

For instance, Murrue and Natarle are only 25.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Another difference worth noting is that there has been good Gundam stuff made after 1983.

I would even defend the Thrawn Trilogy, even though I don't know if Gundam had anything as dumb as "Luuke" Skywalker.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Literally none of the Star Wars EU is any good

I will defend Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron to the death, don't make me fight you

The X-Wing books were probably the best thing to come out of the entire EU.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 9, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Stackpole's X-Wing books range from solid to good. Corran Horn never should have been a thing, with his Gary Stu-looking rear end.

Allston's X-Wing books are the GOAT though. Way better writing at every level compared to Stackpole and Wraith Squadron + Wedge/Janson is the best combo out of the EU by a light-year.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah, the Psycho Zaku comes off as a pet project that happened because one person got way too invested in having peg-legged folks piloting mobile suits, despite how psycommus would achieve the same or similar results without having to hack off all of your limbs.

And beyond that, it's a Zaku II with a lot of bazookas and machine guns (and I guess a beam rifle too if Gundam Versus is accurate).

... Hm, why didn't they just make a Psycho Gelgoog anyway?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Midjack posted:

Seemed more like she was throwing herself at Bright and he was resisting, from what I remember.

Bright was 100% resisting. But I think in late ZZ, he threw out the "but I'm married" kind of excuse.

Of course Emery kind of died, but I think that was the episode that she just had the La Vie en Rose just throw giant steel pillars at Neo Zeon, so at least she went out like a badass.

Droyer posted:

makes no sense to me. Every time Mirai or or their children are brought up in Z or ZZ it's made explicitly clear that Bright wants to go back to them, but feels like he can't until the conflict is resolved.

And the sad thing for Bright is that he pretty much thinks "the conflict is NEVER OVER" and keeps being involved in Zeon remnant incident after Zeon remnant incident until like post-Unicorn (or maybe his superiors keep putting him in the "captain of a Gundam pilot role" and never let him leave the frontlines). And, well, if you want to go by Hathaway's Flash, he definitely puts a very abrupt end to stuff after the end of that series.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 21, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Midjack posted:

On the contrary, she went out like a dumbass. Neo Zeon was leaving the battlefield and Emery decided to shoot parts of her ship after them while they were retreating, at which point Puru Two just turns around and casually wastes her. Emery did a dumb thing and paid the price for it.

Now I do not dispute this account as I watched ZZ with a friend earlier this year mostly while drinking. And V still remains fresh most of all because holy gently caress that series is a lot weirder than I remembered. But the point, RIP Emery and... I guess the La vie en Rose doesn't appear later on either.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

Didn't the Glory of the Losers manga give EW Altron the TV Altron's wings and serpent tail cannon?

Basically, they need to just adapt Glory of Losers, rather than people wanting poo poo like Frozen Teardrop to be animated.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

taichara posted:

You know they're the same drat story, right? Like, Glory uses the same canon tweaks and additions as FT.

Leading into FT later if they decide to do it would be much easier with Glory before hand as opposed to just dropping someone from EW straight into plot lines with cyro-freeze, nanomachine Gundams, and female Quatre having a Nicholas D. Wolfwood Gundam.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I mean if you want more realistic MS combat you could always get a PS2 and a copy of Zeonic Front which relies heavily on squad tactics and developing a plan before each mission. The White Base mission still gives me nightmares.

Amuro counting while he just massacres all of your teams haunts me to this day

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Victory is so strange because it's so weird, does so much stuff wrong, and the characters are so stupid...

But even then, I can still say that it's significantly better than AGE or Destiny.

Like, even the most batshit insane people out of Zanscare could still make a good portion of the Destiny cast look like MENSA candidates

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Victory's fascination with the guillotine and giant motorcycle battleships was definitely unique. The actual choreography of the fights were usually pretty competent, if not having some pretty unique moments (like Uso using the V2 who in turn uses the top half of the regular Victory's beam saber to beat someone). Plus, the Reinforce Jr.'s last moment might as well redeem the show.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Victory also has the worst childhood friend/love interest.

Give it up Shakti, Chronicle is too much of a dope to not drink the Zanscare koolaid, so stop getting people killed when you decide to jump ship multiple times.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Monaghan posted:

00 rules, so I'll happily take more of it.

Hopefully it’s more Second half S1 quality, and not S2/Trailblazer quality

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I want a Victory sequel all Zeta like, except this time Blind Katejina is like the Quattro of the show.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

According to the slide used in the presentation (and ANN), we're getting the Unicorn sequel first, and then three Hathaway's Flash movies.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the Phenex, from what I can gather, went rogue after a fight in a Shoal Zone and blew up its carrier? So can we possibly assume that it will be an antagonist suit in Narrative?

If they don’t fight more Zeon remnants (I mean come on, who is even left at this point besides the guys at Mars) then I can see this happening. I think sone random snippets are saying Phenex only came back after it hosed off to parts unknown because it might have heard Audrey’s speech

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

But I do want to see Nicholas D. Wolfwood Gundam animated though.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

But yuck, Sekai.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Or Old Man Flint survived the ending to Baldios, and it turns out the AGE baddies helped with that plan, so... yeah, he has reasons to want them dead

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Not quite.

He's Dash Rendar if every book with Dash had people going up to him and saying "You're Han Solo, right?" and when he tries to correct them they either go "Ha! Good old Han Solo. What a kidder!" or they punch him in the dick for being Han Solo.

So who is the Gundam equivalent of Kyle Katarn?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

After watching the first two Origin movies, I have two big thoughts;

1) Char is even more terrible than I thought
2) Never in my life has the question “does Kycilia Zabi sleep commando” ever crossed my mind, nor did I ever want it answered.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Yinlock posted:

amuro never really got over it either but was a human being instead of a hosed-up series of masks so he managed to remain a functioning person

Hell, Amuro was even a flying/mobile suit instructor between 0079 and Zeta. While he was always under watch, he could pretty much do whatever the gently caress he wanted. Beltorchika even mentioned that Amuro socialized fairly well when she met him prior to Zeta. And despite initially not wanting to get into the Mk II or even go to space because of Lalah, he puts that aside and pilots for Londo Bell for another half decade.

He never really 100% got over it, but he did as well as he could, still remains functional and has functional relationships (even if he is a bit distant), and approaches his position pretty professionally (he’s not the ultimate coordinator newtype or some poo poo upholding justice in his mind; he’s just there to do a job to make sure people don’t do things like throw giant asteroids at Earth).

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I liked the Girty Lue.

I bet on the wrong horse in the ship race

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

A new dub can never replicate the glorious insanity of Mark Oliver's Rau.

https://youtu.be/0Awfq95GSSo

Well, if the Gods want to sacrifice Mark Oliver's magnificent hammy Rau in exchange for G Gundam Blu Ray with its dub intact, I'll take it.

Plus, isn't Rau voiced by Griffith? There's still hope he can make the landing on Crazy Rau

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

That, and Orga could barely handle having an Earth Branch and doing basic accounting for his organization. Leap frogging to "KING OF MARS" was some tragic bit of delusion on his end.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

How soon we forget that char laughed like a supervillain when he betrayed Garma. Dude was always an rear end in a top hat

Before Origin, I always found it hilarious how his betrayal clearly seemed like a spur of the moment thing than any real major plan. Like, yeah, he wanted to kill the Zabi family all along, but in the series/movies he was like "hey, there's the White Base, I better let Garma kno- ..... waaait... I have an idea" kind of thing rather than some of the Light Yagami-esque plans he pulls in Origin.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I used to hate Acguys but after watching Bandit Flower, I love these things.

It may not seem like it but that's really high praise for me.

Bianca is also my new favorite person

MechaX fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 20, 2018

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah, in thinking about the scene where the mechanics tear both Io and Bianca a new rear end in a top hat for immediately wrecking their suits, that's kind of a refreshing change from how most Gundam shows typically operate. Turn A is a little weird because it finds weapons at different places or Loran decides to read more of the manual to unlock something new, but otherwise you'll have suits just tossing experimental weapons everywhere, feet and arms getting blown off, etc, etc, only for them to just fix it off screen or say "oh we had spare parts" or something.

I can suspend my disbelief quite a bit here regardless, but there are some moments (SEED/Destiny is egregiously guilty of this) where I am just like "yo how in the gently caress did they fix Sting's (or Yzak's) Gundam after it got both of its arms and all of its weaponry lobbed off and everything fell in to the bottom of the ocean"

Overall, I kind of go back to a humorous scene in Front Mission 5 where a drill sergeant is tearing into their robot pilots and screams "this is the loving military, not a goddamn charity service, we're not giving you multi-million dollar equipment just to total all of your poo poo in the next battle"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

On the other hand, the entire endgame of Victory is about the weaponisation of Newtypes on the grandest and most horrifying level in the entire franchise, and F91 contains one of the most grotesque distortions of the Newtype concept - a Cyber-Newtype so heavily altered that he's all but entirely abandoned his humanity to become an alien war machine.

I agree with this.

Victory does have a lot to say about newtypes for various reasons. The term itself comes up as legendary as the Gundam itself, especially since there hasn't been a major notable conflict or ware since F91 (and even then, F91 and Crossbone's events were pretty isolated to the point where people probably just watched the news and reacted with a blank "that kinda sucks"). But they still exist in the form of Queen Maria even without conflict, and Uso awakens his abilities in battle in a unique fashion (Uso is interesting in the sense that I think he's Earth born and spent a significant part of his life on Earth; it's been a year or so since I've rewatched the series didn't he start awakening his abilities on Earth as well?), and the Angel Halo is legit the worst, most astronomically frightening example of newtype technology in the entire UC.

NT spoilers if that summary is accurate on this detail, this actually makes Minerva being like "we need to erase psycho-frame data!" a bit depressing; instead of the psycho-frame, everyone goes back to using Bio-computers or psycommus and it ends up being even worse.