Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

all according to keikaku

What a sad, pathetic little puppetmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Karl_Ramseier posted:

One site claims the sky is falling and the other side claims eveything is Ok. Judging from my work epxerience: It highly depends if you can replace the work and the input a certain person provided. And to believe that turnover in "normal companies" only happens in jthe junior ranks, is naive at best. But anyway it would be better if staff wouldn't get fired or leave. The turnover rates in this buisness field is too high anwywas.

When a low-ranking co-worker of mine (programmer) ended up leaving for health reasons, it took 6 months to get his replacement up to speed, and the codebase we work on daily is actually really simple compared to a prototype spaceship MMO.

Getting a lead up to speed mid-project is going to take a lot longer, and that's going to affect everybody the original lead worked with heavily.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Incombibulator posted:

Somebody been reporting their jpgz?
Pffffrttttt. :ironicat:

I can't believe how loving dumb these people are.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
If imgur is fairly competent, it'd be trivial to restore everything and ban the idiot who did all this.

But I wouldn't count on it.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

SneakyFrog posted:

I wonder what happens when they realize posting count determines who our leaders are.

I refuse to believe that Derek Smart is not our leader and orchestrating our every move.

Reddit told me so :colbert:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I think the wheelchair guy should probably be left alone (as should most of the people involved), but I'm not going to pretend I didn't laugh at any of this.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

pftc posted:

The crippled kid wanted to have Derek SWATed. https://archive.is/h9BMi

Oh what the gently caress. I've felt that the guy has been dealt a lovely enough hand in life to have to deal with this bullshit, but SWATting?

Go get 'im Derek.

e: oh, he wasn't threatening it, he was just fantasizing. Still hosed up.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

not emptyquoting.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

I didn't know he had a lovely eye. Must be hard to play a space game with no depth perception.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

God I haven't seen this since the late 90s. Man is a wizard.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

I never thought of the comparison, but besides the fact that Apple is actually a large, successful company that makes actual products, it's pretty apt.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Bootcha posted:

You're thinking of Garriott. I met him with Lesnick and the WC CIC crew. Nice guy.

When I was an idiot kid considering getting into the games industry, I noticed a lot of the books I read on game development were written by people who worked under Garriott, and at least two had sections gushing over some groundbreaking thing that some Ultima game pioneered. His stock might have fallen in recent years, but there's a lot of goodwill for him in the games industry if those books were anything to go by.

Meanwhile I had no loving idea who Chris Roberts was until I started reading the original GBS star citizen mock thread.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I thought the reason they used Cryengine was that Crytek basically built their first couple of concept demos for them in exchange for exclusive licensing.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I like the idea that Crytek's liscensing deal happened because CIG was too incompetent to make nice looking demo footage for the kickstarter phase. If Croberts couldn't even make a loving demo, what would make anyone think they could do this massive bloated game.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Why do Star Citizens get so upset over people not taking their game and/or purchasing decisions seriously?

I chipped in 30$ to crowfall this year but I'm not about to go into a rant if you think I'm a dumbass for doing so. Hell, you'd probably be right.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Deranged M posted:

quote:

Usually when I meet strangers who are skeptics, I buy them a copy. That usually breaks the laziness barrier and they do some actual research.

I am increasingly being reminded of bitcoiners.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm working on a lovely little game for a local jam tonight and so help me god that blogpost better be done before I am.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

MrDorf posted:

It should be a mix of Game Dev Studio and Plague, Inc. You've got to make a game successfully from pitch to delivery before former game devs in various countries write negative blogs that prevent you from profiting in those region.

Also gently caress Madagascar.

Nah, doing a basic space shooter/bomber thing since the theme is Action. Since it's all for fun and nothing's getting published, I figured I'd pay homage for all the fun I've had in the last few weeks reading this thread..

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I got into a nice hour and a half groove here, but was so disappointed to see there's still no post.

Incidentally making a space game is easy, I have no idea why CIG is having so many problems.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Nation posted:

my dog died today can derek please post the blog and destroy sc i will be less sad

My condolences. When my dog died I was a loving mess of tears.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Paladinus posted:

drat, I've missed the blog.

Mr. Derek Smart, can you PM me the password? I am a good goon.

I am not a good goon, but I'm worse at being a redditor, so can I have the link as well?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Paladinus posted:

Derek's just posted the password on the secret forum.

I don't know why I didn't check there. I have no idea where he got the document scans showing where You need a Platinum Upgrade to view this, but it's really damning.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

skaboomizzy posted:

If I could look one year into the future, the two things I'd look at first are lottery numbers and the Star Citizen thread.

I can't imagine how the brown sea will still be excited and waiting for the game that's "content complete" and coming any day now, but I know they will be.

Unless our hero burns it all down first.

To be fair, they're claiming that the "baby" PU is content complete, not the entire game.

They're full of poo poo regardless, but it's not like CIG is claiming the full game is going to be released in 2015 or anything.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

starkebn posted:

I'd wager there are are very few journalists at gaming websites, just people who like to write about games

I'd say there are more people who dislike writing about games but like the paychecks from writing about games.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Thank god we don't have to worry about Ben falling off a Bicycle.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

D_Smart posted:

As I posted earlier (also on Twitter), we have come to the conclusion that they may be setting up my sources to get busted. I have reached out to legal to get more details about what the implications are of using sourced information about a crowd-funded project and which has nothing to do with trade secrets and such. They had told me, weeks back, that there's nothing illegal about it (hence my tweet this morning) since I am reporting on a matter that is of the public interest (to the tune of $95m) and which I have been established (since July) as a public opposition of. It's crazy, but seriously, there are laws about this poo poo. Imagine if Apple, Google or any of those companies, went after people who leaked info about projects. Though this is different.

I'm glad that you're attempting to make sure that your sources don't get caught in the shitstorm. I've got deep respect for anyone stuck in a lovely job like that who is willing to try to bring poo poo to light.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

AP posted:

I don't know. Hopefully none as it's all about drama over pictures of spaceships?

Wulf is playing again.

What is the reference to Alganon? Googling it only gets me images of a lovely wow clone (and holy poo poo is it a clone)

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

AP posted:

Something boxes.

I had a bigger workspace (and not to mention a less depressing one) back when I was an intern. I would be so distracted working like that.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I've seen stuff like "Goons have come around and like SC again because the PU is so goddamn amazing" in like 3 different places at this point.

What loving thread are they reading?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Should I get space engineers, friends? It's on sale, and is actually a space game that exists.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I struck up a conversation in the PU with a stranger, who happened to be my long lost biological dad. Now we're doing all the father son things, and it's all thanks to Chris Roberts!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Out of Band II posted:

he's huge in japan

he's huge here too.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I wouldn't be suprised if they're rushing to get the PU in a stable state before slashing head count. If the PU is still crashing repeatedly 4 months later, they'll basically only have Wulge/Karl defending them .

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

sorla78 posted:

I just read again the article " The Conquest of Origin"
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_14/87-The-Conquest-of-Origin

It has some interesting parallels to CIG:

- Origin paid lovely salaries, according to artist Steve Powers: "wages started out just above poverty level"
- Origin was all about delivering the vision, no matter the delays or budget - their cardinal virtue was the commitment to do whatever it took to ship the director's vision, they coined: "A game's only late until it ships, but it sucks forever"
- Marathon crunches at Origin was fact of life - Origin Program Director Stephen Beeman's doctrine "sleep is for the weak" was endorsed by project teams
- Richard Garriott made it a point of pride to start each new Ultima entirely from scratch, with not a line of code carried over from earlier games. Even the map editors and other tools were coded anew. Beeman says, "We started with the vision of what we wanted the game to be - a vision generally inspired by our love of film - then busted our asses to figure out a way to pull that off. By contrast, companies like LucasArts or id started with an idea of what it was possible to do, then crafted killer gameplay around that. When our creative vision turned out to be achievable in a reasonable time (as with Wing Commander I and II), we hit home runs. When the creative vision turned out not to be achievable, development dragged on until the next year (or beyond), when improvements to the hardware made it achievable."
- Warren Spector's feelings: "I always felt we were genuinely trying to change the world," he says. "There was a feeling of creating something new, of being on the cutting edge; that was incredibly exciting. That, more than anything else, drove people to do exceptional work"
- Garriott on the early years after the EA acquisition: "We doubled the size of the company from 200 to 400 that first year. We went from 5-10 projects to 10-20, and staffed those projects almost entirely with inexperienced people. It won't surprise you to learn those projects were not well managed. That was totally Origin's fault. We failed, and we ended up killing half of those products. That's probably what set up the EA mentality that 'Origin is a bunch of [deleted],' pardon my French."

Certainly one lesson learnt from the EA acquisition is marketing:

- Furthermore, EA was all about marketing. For Hawkins the question was never, "How good is this game?" It was always, "How can we sell this?" To high-minded execs at Origin - makers of the Ultima and Wing Commander series, the high priests of the high end, who valued commitment to an artistic vision - this attitude was sacrilege.

In Origin's defense, the industry was a lot younger back then, and they did legitimately invent some neat tech that was needed badly at the time. What has Star Citizen given us?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

EightAce posted:

I wrote a long post and then deleted it. Its turning into Custers last stand and I just don't want to get people in trouble . I have already said to much I reckon and if people get in the poo poo because of whats discussed here and the very obvious source then that is nothing but bad.
I can highlight some stuff in bullet points but nothing at Derek Smart level of excitement
- A couple of very public faces have left CIG UK right under everyone's noses. This may be out there already . You will know who if you check ATV and all that bollocks and then see who doesn't appear anymore. Not actual game developers just CS monkeys but significant none the less. The old adage poo poo rolls down hill is never so true when you are involved with CIG ... B4TBG email exchange is still causing fallout ... and all the wrong people are getting blamed
- I know what they are currently concentrating on , it is simply unbelievable . I cant say what it is for obvious reasons but it is up there with the farming module. talk about fiddling while Rome burns .....
- All the jobs being advertised are legit and they are getting really desperate now to fill those positions. However they just cant and Mr Smart's blogs are being cited as the reason. if anyone is interested they are paying above industry standard but you might only have the job for another 12 months at best.
- The whole animation system is simply hosed. You are looking at a team of very competent animators working flat out for a year or two to get anything working properly.
- Sq42 looks absolutely stunning (The space bits) FP stuff looks like a PS1 game and no one seems to give a poo poo. However it is not a game, there is no game play or direction. Nothing just amazing graphics in an editor. The whole thing is in a constant state of flux and a dev cycle that was already floundering is now totally FUBARED because the emperor himself is taking a hand in it personally. Some big news outlets have been in there recently doing all sorts of walk around's and interviews.
- All the hilarity and fallout from 10ftc, Starmarine being cancelled and the reddits etc have caused absolutely no concern whatsoever. Literally no one gives a gently caress. The attitude is , ' Its just noise let them have their fun we know better'. Chris in particular is totally detached from it all

The other stuff I cant talk about at the moment because it will be so obvious where its coming from

I'd rather you keep short term financial stability and remain employable than you leak stuff we're going to find out about soon enough anyway. It's pretty obvious that you aren't the only irritated one and stuff is going to leak regardless.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I saw someone ask twice about if all the Squadron 42 episodes come with the game or not, and didn't see an answer in chat or on the stream.

I assume that they're going to charge separately for each episode, yeah?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Fatkraken posted:

NO

(I have it on good authority that Huskies are wonderful animals but terrible pets for the most part, high energy, easily bored, destructive and often aloof and un dog-like in their personalities. Great for a sled team, not so good in a suburban home)

My childhood dog was a husky and he was a the best drat dog, take your slander back.

He did tear up the back yard a bit and also bit a dude in the rear end who hopped our back fence, but aside from that, he wasn't aggressive at all.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Fatkraken posted:

oh totally, you get some great huskies (and yeah apparently Mals are WAY more chill), but as a breed they're not recommended for 99% of people.

Yeah, I live in the great frozen midwest and lived in areas with big-rear end backyards, I could imagine a husky being illtempered if its hot all the time or you just give it a small amount of kennel space.

Still, it's weird to hear about huskys being agressive, as mine would literally jump on your lap like he was a 90 pound housecat or something. Very friendly dog.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Decrepus posted:

I bet Bestow is really kicking himself for not making a Crimson Haze kickstarter. He already had as much content as Star Citizen 10 years ago with his single sword double-assed man concept art and techno stimpire amputated woman mob.

Hell, I even provided Jpgs for that thread. I didn't even get paid for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

zecumbe posted:

hahaha you guys got me! Just messing around with those shitizens. wanted to get some of them to become toxic to goons and get banned!

It seems I can get away with quite a bit before getting banned no matter how many shitposts I make there! those SC subreddit mods sure do hate goons.

gently caress Shitizens!!!!!

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

gently caress Cig!