Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
One day, a scorpion looked around at the mountain where he lived and decided that he wanted a change. So he set out on a journey through the forests and hills. He climbed over rocks and under vines and kept going until he reached a river. The river was wide and swift, and the scorpion stopped to reconsider the situation. He couldn't see any way across. So he ran upriver and then checked downriver, all the while thinking that he might have to turn back.
Suddenly, he saw a frog sitting in the rushes by the bank of the stream on the other side of the river. He decided to ask the frog for help getting across the stream.
"Hellooo Mr. Frog!" called the scorpion across the water, "Would you be so kind as to give me a ride on your back across the river?"
"Well now, Mr. Scorpion! How do I know that if I try to help you, you wont try to kill me?" asked the frog hesitantly.
"Because," the scorpion replied, "If I try to kill you, then I would die too, for you see I cannot swim!"
Now this seemed to make sense to the frog. But he asked. "What about when I get close to the bank? You could still try to kill me and get back to the shore!"
"This is true," agreed the scorpion, "But then I wouldn't be able to get to the other side of the river!"
"Alright then...how do I know you wont just wait till we get to the other side and THEN kill me?" said the frog.
"Ahh...," crooned the scorpion, "Because you see, once you've taken me to the other side of this river, I will be so grateful for your help, that it would hardly be fair to reward you with death, now would it?!"
So the frog agreed to take the scorpion across the river. He swam over to the bank and settled himself near the mud to pick up his passenger. The scorpion crawled onto the frog's back, his sharp claws prickling into the frog's soft hide, and the frog slid into the river. The muddy water swirled around them, but the frog stayed near the surface so the scorpion would not drown. He kicked strongly through the first half of the stream, his flippers paddling wildly against the current.
Halfway across the river, the frog suddenly felt a sharp sting in his back and, out of the corner of his eye, saw the scorpion remove his stinger from the frog's back. A deadening numbness began to creep into his limbs.
"You fool!" croaked the frog, "Now we shall both die! Why on earth did you do that?"
The scorpion shrugged, and did a little jig on the drownings frog's back.
"209 motherfucker 209"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
jack slack's analysis of mcgregor vs holloway is eternally frustrating to me. while he acknowledges that mcgregor's kicks either all missed or landed on the arms of holloway, he claims that these kicks closed the distance and allowed mcgregor to then successfully miss punches and land on the arms of holloway. he chalks this up as a brilliant tactical showing

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
mcgregor smartly threw kicks he wasn't flexible enough to land towards nothing and wisely travis browned himself

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

UFC December - Hark the fallen angels sing

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

Captain Log posted:

loving Big Titted Duck.

That response to the SMV guy is gold.

Someone post the Nick Diaz as a scorpion story. I won't ruin the punchline.

quote:

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Why did you sting me? Without me you'll drown in this river! Said the frog.

209 motherfucker 209 209 said the scorpion.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
So, Hendricks hired a nutritionist.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

What's different between this guy and Dolce in the grand scheme of things?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

What's different between this guy and Dolce in the grand scheme of things?

One is a pseudoscientific hack and the other is Mike Dolce

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"Not everything need gravy, Johny"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMGyeY2abns

Also considering 194 is on the 12th someone needs to make a "On the 12th day of Christmas..." GDT or discussion thread title.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UFC December - Sage Northcutt Appreciation Station

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

"Not everything need gravy, Johny"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMGyeY2abns

Also considering 194 is on the 12th someone needs to make a "On the 12th day of Christmas..." GDT or discussion thread title.

I second that notion for the monthly thread. I've got two GDTs in the works for the three cards that week, and neither have a Christmas theme I'm afraid.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Conor McGregor December - There's other people fighting too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bluedeanie posted:

I second that notion for the monthly thread. I've got two GDTs in the works for the three cards that week, and neither have a Christmas theme I'm afraid.

Concerning, I will be keeping a close eye on snack rating

"On the 12th Day of Christmas Uncle Dana sent to me, 3 main events in one PPV"

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Detroit_Dogg posted:

One day, a scorpion looked around at the mountain where he lived and decided that he wanted a change. So he set out on a journey through the forests and hills. He climbed over rocks and under vines and kept going until he reached a river. The river was wide and swift, and the scorpion stopped to reconsider the situation. He couldn't see any way across. So he ran upriver and then checked downriver, all the while thinking that he might have to turn back.
Suddenly, he saw a frog sitting in the rushes by the bank of the stream on the other side of the river. He decided to ask the frog for help getting across the stream.
"Hellooo Mr. Frog!" called the scorpion across the water, "Would you be so kind as to give me a ride on your back across the river?"
"Well now, Mr. Scorpion! How do I know that if I try to help you, you wont try to kill me?" asked the frog hesitantly.
"Because," the scorpion replied, "If I try to kill you, then I would die too, for you see I cannot swim!"
Now this seemed to make sense to the frog. But he asked. "What about when I get close to the bank? You could still try to kill me and get back to the shore!"
"This is true," agreed the scorpion, "But then I wouldn't be able to get to the other side of the river!"
"Alright then...how do I know you wont just wait till we get to the other side and THEN kill me?" said the frog.
"Ahh...," crooned the scorpion, "Because you see, once you've taken me to the other side of this river, I will be so grateful for your help, that it would hardly be fair to reward you with death, now would it?!"
So the frog agreed to take the scorpion across the river. He swam over to the bank and settled himself near the mud to pick up his passenger. The scorpion crawled onto the frog's back, his sharp claws prickling into the frog's soft hide, and the frog slid into the river. The muddy water swirled around them, but the frog stayed near the surface so the scorpion would not drown. He kicked strongly through the first half of the stream, his flippers paddling wildly against the current.
Halfway across the river, the frog suddenly felt a sharp sting in his back and, out of the corner of his eye, saw the scorpion remove his stinger from the frog's back. A deadening numbness began to creep into his limbs.
"You fool!" croaked the frog, "Now we shall both die! Why on earth did you do that?"
The scorpion shrugged, and did a little jig on the drownings frog's back.
"209 motherfucker 209"

As the great writers all say, why use one word when 1,200 will suffice.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i cant wait for sage northcutt to lose embarassingly. this time hes fighting someone without a wikipedia though.

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*
UFC December - Cowboys & Aliens
Alternatively "Cowboy & Alien" for GDT

Another UFC December or 194 GDT
"Jingle bells, Lindland smells, Conor laid an egg"

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
who wants to talk about rockhold/weidman and romero/jacare?

rockhold is big, strong, aggressive yet patient, and fights well off the counter. both guys have excellent top games. i think weidman has better hands, better footwork, better wrestling, but perhaps less punching power, reach and maybe even speed. if rockhold can get on top and stay on top i think he can get a stoppage or at least grind him down to the point where he can win, but i think the same is true with weidman. i think weidman will have a strategy to deal with the right hook and the left kicks, but it will still be a draining fight if it goes the distance.

i think jacare/romero will also be really interesting, but i would love for it to be a 5 rounder instead. for no reason i still think jacare is very chinny and i think if jacare can't keep romero down he'll get tko'd. i also think that jacare's striking, speed and strength are more than enough to get anyone down.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I think Weidman Rockhold is a very interesting fight because in my mind they are very similar fighters with similar builds. There's only a 1 inch height and reach difference between them and they're both really well rounded. I'd give Weidman the edge in striking and wrestling but Rockhold the edge in BJJ. I think Chris takes it because not only do I think he's better, but he's just slayed the Mount Rushmore of middleweight and has unshakable confidence in himself.

Rockhold is probably Weidman's toughest test after the first Anderson fight.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 30, 2015

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

i cant wait for sage northcutt to lose embarassingly. this time hes fighting someone without a wikipedia though.

I usually disagree when people online accuse the UFC of protecting fighters since they basically never do it to the degree you see in boxing or whatever, but Northcutt might be the exception, theres no way they are gonna let him fight anyone who might beat him for a really long time especially since hes so young. He will be knocking out fat guys for years to come

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Serra-Longo are just so god drat good at creating gameplans that Chris is ruthlessly efficient at following.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

david carmichael posted:

who wants to talk about rockhold/weidman and romero/jacare?

rockhold is big, strong, aggressive yet patient, and fights well off the counter. both guys have excellent top games. i think weidman has better hands, better footwork, better wrestling, but perhaps less punching power, reach and maybe even speed. if rockhold can get on top and stay on top i think he can get a stoppage or at least grind him down to the point where he can win, but i think the same is true with weidman. i think weidman will have a strategy to deal with the right hook and the left kicks, but it will still be a draining fight if it goes the distance.

I think rockhold is by far weidmans toughest fight yet in terms of style matchup, somehow I see rockhold winning a close fight but i also wouldnt be surprised if weidman came out with a perfect game plan and beat him really badly. so basically I dont know

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Was it Roger Gracie who went on record saying 'Chris Weidman could probably submit ne'? If so I don't think I'd give anyone in the ufc middleweight division except for jacare the title of Better Than Weidman at BJJ.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Admittedly I don't know much about Souza, but with Romero's recent Machida Murder in mind, I think he takes it. Given the quality of Souza's grappling, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he caught Yoel in a submission coming off a scramble, but I think Yoel's wrestling is good enough to allow him to generally dictate where the fight happens.

I haven't the slightest clue what Rockhold/Weidman will look like, but it'll be cool as hell.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

Was it Roger Gracie who went on record saying 'Chris Weidman could probably submit ne'? If so I don't think I'd give anyone in the ufc middleweight division except for jacare the title of Better Than Weidman at BJJ.

I mean Gracie's can and will say anything. Was he part of Weidman's camp at any point?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Vinny Mags caught Weidman in a really cool flying armbar at ADCC 2009. I'd post a video but I'm on mobile.

I felt it was necessary to bring up in a discussion on Weidman's grappling prowess, but I'm not really sure it says anything about any possible fight Weidman could have in the UFC.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

manyak posted:

I usually disagree when people online accuse the UFC of protecting fighters since they basically never do it to the degree you see in boxing or whatever, but Northcutt might be the exception, theres no way they are gonna let him fight anyone who might beat him for a really long time especially since hes so young. He will be knocking out fat guys for years to come

That said, if you think he'll lose sooner rather than later, there's money to be made

those are like, McGregor/Siver odds

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I have basically no useful analysis of Jacare/Gay Jesus other than that it's an extremely cool and good fight.

Jacare has shown better conditioning, I think, so if they end up wrestling a lot I think Jacare has the edge, despite Romero being more credentialed in wrestling.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UFC 194 gdt: ... and to Aldo good fight!

UFC December - All fighters (b)advent calendar

UFC December - O Holy Fight

UFC December - Only two more days til Condit-Lawler

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Seltzer posted:

I mean Gracie's can and will say anything. Was he part of Weidman's camp at any point?

They both train at Renzo's a lot.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Seltzer posted:

Yeah I remember all those times gracies went on record saying other people are really great or implying that they themselves aren't that great or a mixture of both you're absolutely right dude touche good talk

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Seltzer posted:

They both have spent a lot of time training at Renzo's in New York so it's possible they've had a chance to roll.

efb, but I feel I should add that Roger is perhaps the least full of poo poo of any of the well known Gracies.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I think Jacare is going to style on Romero and then Romero will pull off a miraculous come-from-behind KO in the 3rd that makes me feel like a dumbass.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

Yeah I remember all those times gracies went on record saying other people are really great or implying that they themselves aren't that great or a mixture of both you're absolutely right dude touche good talk

You're being ridiculous if you think that it's impossible for Roger to overcome an apparent genetic Gracie predisposition to never admit weakness in order to say something positive about a guy he trains with.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Seltzer posted:

You're being ridiculous if you think that it's impossible for Roger to overcome an apparent genetic Gracie predisposition to never admit weakness in order to say something positive about a guy he trains with.

Hahahahaha

manyak posted:

I think rockhold is by far weidmans toughest fight yet in terms of style matchup, somehow I see rockhold winning a close fight but i also wouldnt be surprised if weidman came out with a perfect game plan and beat him really badly. so basically I dont know

This basically, but the more I think about it the more I'm thinking that rockhold hasn't really experienced the type of ridiculous pressure that Weidman applies as his modus operandi so I'm leaning towards Weidman beating the poo poo out of him

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

sick argument

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Seltzer posted:

sick argument

Let me put it another way. Maybe, just maybe, Weidman is loving excellent at BJJ

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

He's very good, everybody knows that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Seltzer posted:

He's very good, everybody knows that.

Yeah but rockhold's way better though. I'd give him the edge. - hypersensitive forums poster

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I agree with the argument that Weidman is definitely better at striking and wrestling than Rockhold. I understand the inclination to say Rockhold is the better submission grappler based on their recent fights and overall fighting styles, and I think that may be true, but I struggle to concede that in confidence just because of Weidman's background and training style.

Ultimately I think where the fight gets more interesting is Weidman's team's ability to gameplan coupled with Chris' ability to go in the cage and execute it flawlessly vs. Rockhold's style of being a lot flashier, more creative and committed to risk-taking.

I see the fight being a finish either way as Rockhold will either catch Weidman off guard with something he was just not prepared to encounter like the Magalhaes armbar, or Weidman seeing right through it and capitalizing on an opening Rockhold presents on a golden platter. It's actually pretty compelling and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

EmmyOk posted:

Serra-Longo are just so god drat good at creating gameplans that Chris is ruthlessly efficient at following.

This right here.

• Locked thread