Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've used stovetop pressure cookers my entire life but my parents have an Instant Pot and I've used that a fair amount. I greatly prefer stovetop cookers. The control over the heat, especially when you're sautéing stuff, is far superior, you can cool them down however you like, they don't take up extra space on the counter, you have more options for size, and they take up less space in storage. Also the electronics will never fail, which I'm not sure is an issue but I suppose it's possible, and if you have a gas stove you can use them when the power is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Having one less thing you have to find a plug socket for is always a bonus.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

alnilam posted:

Having used both myself, yeah it's this, for me. The convenience of having a timed pressure cook followed by keep-warm so I can walk away is amazing. Especially with two young children.

The ability to maintain a 100F water bath for yogurt is a nice bonus feature too

Yep, this. The lack of constant hissing is also a plus.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I can see the advantages of both but personally I prefer electric for 1) not taking up space on the stove, 2) not requiring any intervention after you start it, and 3) being quieter

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

alnilam posted:

The ability to maintain a 100F water bath for yogurt is a nice bonus feature too

The yogurt feature was a sleeper hit for me too, I'd never even made homemade yogurt before. I initially bought and used my Instant Pot as a carnitas machine but now we joking refer to it as the household yogurt slinger.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Definitely buy separate sealing rings for different applications, though. Those things really absorb aromas and you don't want your yogurt tasting like carnitas.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kHZ1Z6vjnE

mystes
May 31, 2006

lmao

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I refuse to believe that is real

mystes
May 31, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

I refuse to believe that is real
Apparently it was an april fools joke

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thank god

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

Definitely buy separate sealing rings for different applications, though. Those things really absorb aromas and you don't want your yogurt tasting like carnitas.

Yogurt isn't made under pressure. I don't use the sealing lid, just a standard glass pot lid.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I make my yogurt into jars and use the pot to keep a water bath at temperature, no need for cleanup of the pot afterwards

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Single serve yogurt jars into a water bath is the truth for breakfast meal prep. I use a sous vide circulator then stick them in the fridge. Dump in some fruit and granola then out the door.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

mystes posted:

3) being quieter

This is a great point, I have a traditional stove top pressure cooker, a hand-me-down from my mom. Holy poo poo does it make a racket!

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I managed to first deform, and then broke the weld and popped the blade from my Microplaner. Is there a coarse grater that will stand up to the rigors of palm sugar? Some of these pucks are like shredding a brick.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Just use a cheap box grater, save microplabes for stuff that benefits from being sliced.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I managed to first deform, and then broke the weld and popped the blade from my Microplaner. Is there a coarse grater that will stand up to the rigors of palm sugar? Some of these pucks are like shredding a brick.

I’ve found it much easier to just use a heavy knife I don’t care much about. The fully intact puck is hard, but the slices break up super easily.

Piloncillo though… That stuff is hard.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've never made yogurt but I have made Viili. It's very easy just start from a store bought cup. I have a bunch of reusable glass cups with their own glass lids.

Basically I just spoon out a dollop in each cup, pour over regular milk and some cream because it's better like that. Put them in the cupboard for 24h before moving to the fridge. Works every time. My grandparents did this.

I have like 6 jars in the fridge now.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Both Marshall's and TJMaxx near me have David Burke sheet pans with cooling racks for a really good price ($6-10 depending on cooling rack and current phase of the moon).

https://chefskissathome.com/products/copy-of-david-burke-sheet-pan-and-cooling-rack-in-bronze

As far as I can tell, they have the same properties as the darling Williams Sonoma corrugated non-stick sheet pans. Might be a bit heavier/sturdier.

Anyone have any experience with these? They're oven-safe up to 450F - should I avoid broiling with them?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

FaradayCage posted:

Both Marshall's and TJMaxx near me have David Burke sheet pans with cooling racks for a really good price ($6-10 depending on cooling rack and current phase of the moon).

https://chefskissathome.com/products/copy-of-david-burke-sheet-pan-and-cooling-rack-in-bronze

As far as I can tell, they have the same properties as the darling Williams Sonoma corrugated non-stick sheet pans. Might be a bit heavier/sturdier.

Anyone have any experience with these? They're oven-safe up to 450F - should I avoid broiling with them?

The concern there is the coating, Xylan (similar to Teflon). I probably wouldn't broil with them; depending on who you ask, the coating begins to degrade between 500F and 550F - which your broiler can easily hit. For general purpose cooking, roasting, baking, etc. they're fine. Other people would be perfectly fine broiling with them, so it's really a personal choice.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I have some similar “nonstick” cooling racks that I occasionally use when broiling veggies. I’ve not had any issues with flaking, etc, but I’ve definitely accepted the fact that I’m getting cancer from something in this world, so I don’t know what I’m really saying here

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've never made yogurt but I have made Viili. It's very easy just start from a store bought cup. I have a bunch of reusable glass cups with their own glass lids.

Basically I just spoon out a dollop in each cup, pour over regular milk and some cream because it's better like that. Put them in the cupboard for 24h before moving to the fridge. Works every time. My grandparents did this.

mesophilic yogurts are goated, shame more people in the US don't know about them -- no heating up your milk, no maintaining warmth for hours, i'd just pour a gallon of milk into a big jar and come back the next day

mystes
May 31, 2006

Huh I've never even heard of mesophilic yogurts

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

His Divine Shadow posted:

If I had any idea where I could get a starter culture for this locally I'd give it a shot. I'll have to look at some of the specialty grocery stores in my city!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My thermapen finally gave up the ghost after 10 years of faithful service. I suspect hand washing it might’ve done it. It was a splash-proof model, but I figured a hand wash couldn’t hurt. Maybe I was wrong.

Anyways what’s the recommended model I should replace it with? I see a new one called The One that claims a one second read time

Edit: looks like they’re doing a discount that makes it cheaper than the other models, guess that makes my decision for me

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 15, 2024

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah I’m on my third Thermapen One because they keep dying due to hand washing, which you’re supposed to be able to do. To their credit they have replaced them for free twice, so the company still gets my seal of approval. Just don’t let the body of the Thermapen get wet. Wash it with a barely damp sponge or washcloth and limit the battery compartment’s contact with moisture. Otherwise it’s an incredible kitchen tool.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Would they replace my old one out of warranty?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Not likely, but you could always try! The ones I’ve had replaced were still within warranty.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
Out of some absurd quantity of luck, I found a working older model Robot Coupe on the sidewalk that someone was trying to get of. It doesn't have face control buttons - just a classic twist to start function.

I'm a pretty avid cook, and worked in restaurants for a long time as a sommelier - but my understanding about Robot Coupes' main advantage is durability and power, not necessarily providing additional functionality. Unlessss there's something I'm missing? Can anyone think of anything I could do with it that a normal consumer grade food processor couldn't?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think you can set up a robot coupe to chop and spit out into an external bowl, unlike most processors which keep chopping the food until you tell it to stop

This allows for uniform pieces

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Skooms posted:

Out of some absurd quantity of luck, I found a working older model Robot Coupe on the sidewalk that someone was trying to get of. It doesn't have face control buttons - just a classic twist to start function.

I'm a pretty avid cook, and worked in restaurants for a long time as a sommelier - but my understanding about Robot Coupes' main advantage is durability and power, not necessarily providing additional functionality. Unlessss there's something I'm missing? Can anyone think of anything I could do with it that a normal consumer grade food processor couldn't?

Depending on the food processor, maybe knead dough? I know there are a bunch of recipes out there, never tried it myself (I can't bake worth a drat), but apparently it's possible - not sure a Robot Coupe would work for that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can do dough with a regular food processor. It climbs when done and is quick

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Now that I think about it there should be a consumer food chopper that does “chop once and spit out” so you can get uniform onion and carrot dice

Closest I’ve seen is an $800 Waring

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can also do that with a regular food processor with the thing that puts the blade on a disk near the feed, like the cheese shredder.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Now that I think about it there should be a consumer food chopper that does “chop once and spit out” so you can get uniform onion and carrot dice
It's called a knife OP

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

No clue what the quality is like.
$289 - https://www.amazon.com/Newhai-Commercial-Vegetable-Multifunctional-Automatic/dp/B0CLCNCXFB

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You can also do that with a regular food processor with the thing that puts the blade on a disk near the feed, like the cheese shredder.

Yep

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Steve Yun posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
That has the same problem of not having a continuous infeed. Gotta dump and reload to do the next chop. No, what you need is one of these.