Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Opinions on electric smokers? Vs low-and-slow in the oven?

We have a stupid condo rule that prohibits charcoal and propane on our balconies. I haven't grilled or smoked since we moved here. I've had good luck slow cooking items in the oven, though. I'm about to put a 9-pound pork shoulder in the oven at 250 for 10 hours. It'll come out as tender as barbecued pork, but with none of the smoky flavor or crust.

I just discovered that electric smokers exist. I know electric grills are poo poo, but are electric smokers decent?

I'm not looking for comparisons to charcoal or propane smokers. I'm wondering if an electric smoker can produce better results than just cooking slow in the oven.

If this is the wrong thread, please point me to the right one. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

quote:

My electric smoker is great - but you still give off a ton of smoke and people will not know it is electric and may report you to the board anyway.

If they put out a ton of smoke, I'll pass on it just for courtesy to my neighbors.

The backup plan isn't working. I soaked some applewood chips in water and put them in the oven (in an aluminum pan). Then I put a pork shoulder in there at 250. The pork shoulder is cooking up really well, but there's no smoky scent at all. Am I doing something wrong, or is wood chips in the oven a myth?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Pasta roller recommendations?
I thought I'd get the Kitchen Aid pasta attachment, but it's$140 on sale ($250 retail). I see motorized rollers that cost about $100, and manual rollers that cost around $50.

I've never made my own pasta before. I think I want a motorized one, so I can use both hands to manage the dough.

Any recommendations?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Good timing, thread. I need to replace a 1 quart stainless steel non-stick saucepan. Unfortunately no-stick pans (of whatever coating) are almost always aluminum, and I plan on buying an induction stove*.

I've never used carbon steel pans before. Thanks for the advice on them. Do they really require as much care as a cast iron? ie, no dishwasher, no letting liquids sit, reseason once or twice a year? And could I, say, cook oatmeal or a cream sauce in them without spending 20 minutes scrubbing them afterwards?

*We moved house last year and left our induction stove behind. The new house has a plain old glass top electric stove. I hate it and will probably spend my stimulus check on replacing it.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Murgos posted:

On the topic of induction burners, and burners in general I have some questions.

I have an electric cook top. I have natural gas to the house but not to the kitchen, although as far I I can tell the gas line runs under the kitchen on it's way to the utility closet in the basement for the heat and tankless water heater.

My biggest complaint for the electric cook top is how uneven the heating is and how difficult it is to dial it in to maintain a specific temp in a pot. I am just generally unsatisfied with it, although it is 20+ years old (Jenn-Air with downdraft!) so may a new one would be better?

Putting in an induction cook top would be simple, it should just drop in, I think?

Putting in a gas cook top, would at a minimum, involve running a new line but could be much more if there isn't enough pressure.

People who have had gas and induction, what are your thoughts? Is there a clear preference such that it would be dumb not to do one or the other? Are new electric cook tops da bomb, yo? Thanks!

My opinion: Induction is a million times better than coil or glasstop electric ranges. It's close to but not quite as good as gas.
Advantages (vs regular electric ranges)

*Quick heating: Induction ranges heat much, much faster than electric. I can boil a gallon of water in ~5 minutes, versus ~20 minutes on a cheap coil range.

*Fine-tuned heating: The temperature on an induction range is consistent and can be very finely dialed in. Poaching eggs, for example, is much easier on induction.

*Safety. This is an advantage over both electric and gas. Induction heats up the cookware, not the surface of the range. You can put your hand on the range right next to the skillet and not get burnt. When you pull the skillet away, there's a bit of residual heat that fades quickly.
A neat trick for saving glass from scratches: You can put a paper towel under a cast iron skillet and slide it around. Because the skillet gets hot and not the surface, the paper towel won't burn (it will get a bit brown). Then you can use your rough cast iron without scratching the glass.

*Heat all the way up the pan. On most cookware, the sides heat up about the same time the bottom does. It's not a huge deal, but it makes heating soups and sauces a little easier.

Disadvantages

*You must have iron. Induction works by creating a magnetic field, and that only interacts with iron (cast iron, stainless steel, etc.) Triple-ply cookware will work great, but aluminum, copper, and others won't work at all.
As you see on my previous post, non-stick cookware that's made of stainless steel is hard to find.
You can get a steel plate that sets over the induction burner and heats up whatever's on it. But that's very inefficient.

*Timeout. Induction burners have sensors that detect iron on them. If you pull off a pot and forget to turn off the burner, it will turn off automatically. My range had a very short timeout. If I was making something that required me to lift a saucepan up and down, it would sometimes time out and turn off.

*Expensive. Induction burners are more expensive than electric ranges, but they're absolutely worth every penny.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Meat slicer/deli slicer recommendations?

I'm starting a business selling bacon. It's a simple 1-person company smoking whole pork bellies and slicing them for sale. I've never owned a deli slicer before.

I won't be using the slicer every day. Once a week, I'll slice three pork bellies (about 15 pounds each) into slices between 1/16 and 1/4 inch thick.

Because this is a startup, cheaper is better. But I'll pay extra for good quality.

There are "Chef's Choice" slicers that cost a little over $100. Then there are Hobart slicers that start at $1,500 (and go up to five figures). Can you help me choose something?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

I'd drop $5 on the Cooking Issues Patreon and ask him. Nobody does prosumer and pro equipment opinions like Dave Arnold. He will likely also throw in obscure advice on smoking 3 pork bellies at a time from that one time he ran a smoking 3 pork bellies at a time workshop or something.

A little annoying they started only taking questions from Patrons but they got screwed out of 6 months of Amazon sales of their Searzall so I don't mind.

I just joined and asked a question of my own. If you like I can wait a week and ask yours.

Thanks for the advice (and to others). I'll check him out.

My biggest problem is the carriage size. Whether a blade is 8, 10, or 12 inches in size, it seems all the deli slicers can only cut items 9 or 10 inches wide. Most pork bellies (and most bacon) is 11 or 12 inches wide. Even this $7,000 13-inch Hobart slicer can cut up to 10.75 inches.

Hmm, maybe I need to look at something other than a deli slicer. I wonder if there are dedicated bacon slicers.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Re: Slicing bacon. Something just occurred to me: What if I put the pork belly on its side?

A pork belly is about 12 inches wide by 1 inch tall (with varying lengths). I've been thinking of laying the belly flat and sliding it across the rotating blade. The tray that slides the bacon back and forth would have to move 12 inches to cover the whole width on the belly.

What if I set the pork belly on its side, so it's 1 inch wide and 12 inches tall? Assuming I have a 12 inch diameter blade, the try would only have to slide 1 inch back and forth. Now, the side edge of the try is usually just a few inches tall; I'd have to rig up some kind of guard to support the belly...

Does this sound like an interesting idea....or a good way to lose a finger?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Score! I found someone on Craigslist selling a Berkel 827 deli slicer. Retails for $1,400, he's selling for $650. And it can handle my 10-inch meat (phrasing!)

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Pasteurization with a Vitamix blender?

In this video from ATX hot sauce, the owner claims that a VItamix blender can get liquid hot enough to pasteurize.

I just bought a refurb Vitamix 320 last week, and I've barely used it. I have some fermented hot sauce that's ready to be blended today. Do you think I can actually get it over 80C/175F? Do I just run the blender at max setting? Will running it that hot for ~2 minutes cause any problems with the blender?

I'm told Vitamixes are tanks, so I assume it can handle it. I'm just checking with the crew here to see if that's true.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I left my VItamix 320 at 9 (out of 10) speed for ~3 minutes, and the hot sauce blend only got up to about 110F. I was afraid to leave it on longer than that (I'm new to Vitamix and treating it with kids' gloves).

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Today I learned that Vitamixes shut down before burning themselves out. And they shut down for a very long time.

I was liquefying vegetables for a hot sauce mash when the blender slowed and completely stopped. It's a refurb I bought last month, so I thought I had totally killed it. Thankfully this page (https://joyofblending.com/vitamix-motor-heating/) allayed my fear.

I put the blender in the refrigerator for half an hour, and it still had not cooled down enough. I had to put it in the freezer for another half hour before it came down to room temp.

Counter-intuitively, Vitamixes run cooler at high speeds than at low speeds. That because a fan is attached directly to the motor and spins relative to the speed of the motor. Heavy duty work (like chopping veggies) at low speed taxes the motor too much.

So if your Vitamix dies, leave it alone for a bit, then use a higher speed.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I need a compact toaster oven or air fryer to cook bacon. Details below:

I cure and smoke bacon that I sell at farmer's markets. The morning of the market, I cook a bunch of bacon samples in a countertop air fryer my parents gave me (it works faster than the oven). I hand out those samples at the start of the market.

After a few hours, I can't give out samples because the bacon is too old. I know, cooked bacon that's been in a plastic container for four hours is not actually spoiled. But food serving guidelines prevent me from serving it to people, even as a free sample.

I want to bring a toaster oven or air fryer to the markets and cook up bacon samples throughout the day. The scent alone will bring customers from all over the place. But I need something relatively small and low power. My hatchback is packed to the roof when I go to market, so I can't pack anything bigger than, say, 2 feet by 1 foot.

There are lots of small toaster ovens on Amazon, but they look very low quality. I willing to spend more money on something that won't burn my bacon, die in the middle of the day, or start an electrical fire. Any recommendations?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

quote:

Are you sure about that? Our health inspector in Austin told us that cooked bacon was considered a shelf stable product that didn’t even need refrigeration. The USDA website considers cooked bacon shelf stable as long as it’s cooked to a .85 water activity, and gives the guideline of that level being reached if the cooked product weight has been reduced 40% or more from the raw weight.

I'm going by the 4 hour rule, though I'm sure it's safe to eat. I don't want anyone sicking a lawyer on me because they ate a roach-coach food truck, year-old mayo, and one piece of my bacon before getting sick and rushing to the ER.

Also, the bacon gets cool and the fat congeals, it's not as tasty and gets an odd texture. And that doesn't encourage people to buy my bacon.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Commercial Immersion Blender? Preferably from Webstaurant, this site here

I don't mean home immersion blenders for pureeing a soup for 4. I mean bigass commercial for turning 60 pounds of chile peppers into 10 gallons of homogenous paste.

I started a business making fermented hot sauce. We use Vitamix blenders to puree chiles, garlic, onions, etc. into a mash, which we ferment in large plastic containers for 30 days. Vitamix blenders do an outstanding job of blending veggies. We put in whole bulbs (not cloves, entire bulbs), chiles with the stems on, etc., and turns the whole mix into a big green or red smoothie. The solid bits get filtrered out after fermentation. This saves us from spending hours of time peeling, destemming, or otherwise processing ingredients.

Now we want to get even more efficient, and that means getting an immersion blender. It's like one of those "galaxy brain memes":
Normal Brain: Get a chef's knife. Chop 60 pounds of chile peppers, 15 pounds of garlic cloves, and 10 pounds of onions by hand. Takes 4 hours.
Expanding Brain: Use a Vitamix blender. Blend the ingredients in 1/2 gallon batches, 30 seconds at a time. Takes 2 hours.
Galaxy Brain: Get a commercial immersion blender. Dump everything in a 5 gallon Cambro bucket and grind it all together at once. Takes 30 minutes.

These immersion blenders range in price from $500 to over $2,000. Can you recommend one that can meet these requirements:
1) Blend tough vegetables parts, like chile stems and raw carrots, to a smooth pulp.
2) Tolerate up to 2 hours of use each day, without burning out the motor or fatiguing my employees.
3) Preferably come in under $1,000.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Follow up on commercial immersion blenders. I got this Waring model. Holeeee shiiiit, this is awesome.

My hot sauce blend is: 12 kilograms of habanero chiles, 2.4 kilos of carrots, and 2.4 kilos of garlic. I grind all that to a paste (called a mash) and store it in a 22 quart Cambro to ferment.

Using a Vitamix, that takes about 2 hours. The Vitamix does an amazing job, but with a half-gallon jar, it's a long process.

The Waring immersion blender did the job in 45 minutes. I didn't have to transfer the veggies from one container to another. Just dump it in the Cambro and dive into it. Yes, it vaporized a shitload capsacin, and we had to wear N95 masks. But blending the chiles in the Vitamix is just as bad. Worse, actually, because we're constantly pouring liquified chiles from the blender to the Cambro.

The blender cost about $500, and it was worth every penny.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Brother Tadger posted:

You sell your hot sauce online? Got a link?

https://www.hotsmokedtampa.com

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

parthenocarpy posted:

Go to a restaurant supply store and pick up whatever they have refurbished. You'll save a lot of money this way. If you really want to explore all the attachments available for various models, shop at your leisure online. Vitamix has both commercial and home options.

Seconding this. I have two refurbished Vitamix blenders that I use in my business. They work wonderfully.

As far as differences between models, the Ascent series has a lot of nice features that would be very useful at home. I use a Ninja blender at home, and it does the job. If I were to get a Vitamix for home use, I'd probably get an Ascent. If I got another blender for the commercial kitchen, I'd get a refurb Experian.

EDIT: Amazon has a Prime Day deal with $50 off an Ascent. They have some good discounts on other models as well.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

It’s been said that newer ones don’t have the whine but I don’t know how true that is or if it’s across the board

Induction whine varies based on many factors:
High power vs low power. If you're trying to temper chocolate, you won't hear a whine. If you're trying to boil water fast, it will whine.
Weight of the pan. Small, lightweight pans buzz more than heavy Dutch ovens.
Flatness of the bottom. Old pans that have a slight curve from years of use will whine more than a perfectly flat pan.

Regardless, I would rather deal with a bit of buzz than ever go back to radiant electric. I use induction at home and a commercial gas stove at work. I find them equally responsive to temperature changes. Radiant electric? Not responsive at all.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Here's a weird request: A small ice cream scoop.

I make meatballs in bulk. I mix the meat and other ingredients in a stand mixer, then scoop out 1-inch meatballs, which I vacuum seal and freeze. In a few hours, I can prep, seal, and freeze enough pasta, marinara sauce, and meatballs for 40 or 50 servings. When I don't know what to cook for the family, I pull out a bag of each. The pasta boils for 5 minutes, the sauce heats in the microwave for 10 minutes, and the meatballs bake for 15 minutes.

The ice cream scoops I've used kind of suck. The meat sticks to the metal, even when it's cold. The scoops with the mechanical scraper skip gears and wear out pretty fast.

So...is there a brand of ice cream scoop that you particularly like?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

How big are talking for these meat balls? I would think a regular disher would be better
About 1 inch diameter.
What's a disher?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

You could also just use a super cheap solid scoop. I mean there's no reason to get a Zeroll specifically, because its defining expensive feature is not useful here.

Like one of those cookie scoops with a thing that goes across. Which brands of those have you wrecked so far? I think a better brand is probably your best shot.

Ah, that's what they're called. When I wrote "scoop," I meant "disher." The scoops that have a lever on the handle which moves a metal bar around the edge of the scoop. I've only used cheap grocery store brand dishers. They fall apart after one or two uses.

I buy a ton of stuff off Webstaurant Store. Any thoughts on the options here? https://www.webstaurantstore.com/2903/food-dishers.html

quote:

But for meatballs? I mean I guess, full disclosure here, with the disclaimer that I'm a little skeptical about getting good consistency meatballs using any scoop

You're right to be skeptical. They come out shaped like little lumpy potatoes rather than perfect spheres. But these aren't for a restaurant. They're for easy meal prep, and they work ok for that.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

mystes posted:

I have a few webstaurant store dishers and they've been great

Really I like everything I've gotten from them, I just wish their shipping wasn't so ridiculously expensive

Yeah, the shipping kills it. Their Plus subscription ($99/month for free shipping) is great if you're running a business. I bought a commercial refrigerator from them. It would have been a $600 shipping charge. I got it shipped free.
I just checked, and they have $22,000, 1,062 cubic feet walk-in that ships free with Plus membership.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Discussion Quorum posted:

Thermoworks is doing a big open box sale, FYI. I just picked up a Smoke for $63 but they seem to have most of their big-name products available.

Get on their mailing list. Every single day they offer a good deal on something. 20% off sitewide, Pops for half off, One Pen for $70, etc. If you don't see what you want on sale, just wait a few days.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Big-rear end knife recommendation.

I make and sell bacon from whole pork bellies. The bellies I get are about 24 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 2 inches thick. I slice the cured/smoked bellies with a deli slicer for packaging. Before the deli slicer, I use an 8-inch chef's knife to trim them up. I make trims like:
-Cutting them in half, because only one half will fit in the slicer at a time.
-Cutting them down to 10 inches wide, as that's our standard size
-Cutting off bit that are pure fat
-Cutting off hangers of skin off the edge

I'd like to get a larger knife to do some of this trimming. On the longer cuts, I'd end up sawing back and forth a bit, which leads to jagged edges on the meat. I think a 12- to 14-inch blade would come in handy.

Webstaurant has a ton of butcher knives, and something called a "climeter" knife that I've never heard of before. Would you recommend any of these for large cuts of meat?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

The small-hole side of a box grater is great for shredding garlic. Much faster than a microplane, almost the exact same results as a garlic press, not a single-use tool.

+++ Since I discovered that you can grate garlic to a fine paste with a cheese grater, my garlic press has sat uselessly in the drawer. With a cheese grater, you don't even need to peel the cloves. The paper gets caught on the grater's teeth and stays on the outside of the grater.

If you want consistently fine sliced garlic, as opposed to a paste...and you're *very* careful...you can slice it on a mandolin.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
With cookware, are welded handles longer-lasting than riveted handles? It seems like they would be a little better, but I don't know if they'd last for years and years longer than rivets.

Also, what your thought on this stockpot from Webstaurant for home use? It's a 6.5 quart triple-ply (steel, aluminum, steel) with a lid for $33. That seems like a, well, steal.

I need an induction-ready stock pot that can handle a gallon or more of sauce. I make and freeze large amounts of marinara, salsa, ranchera, mac-and-cheese, etc. I need a large capacity pot where I can make a bunch of it. A consumer-grade triple-ply stock pot runs from about $70 well into the hundreds. At $33, this pot sounds like an incredible deal. What's the catch?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

mystes posted:

I have what is I guess the 20qt version of that stockpot and it's fine. As other people have said it doesn't really matter for a stock pot.

That said, webstaurant's shipping is expensive, so if you're really looking at the 6.5qt version since that what the link appears to go to, if once you factor in shipping, if you're willing to wait you might be able to get a deal on a fully clad one, like a tramontina one from amazon warehouse or something, for a similar price.

I forgot to mention that I have their $99/month free shipping membership for my business. I occasionally buy things for personal use and just have them shipped to my business address.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Our vegetable peeler broke. Do you have preferred brand of style? I'm thinking of getting this Oxo peeler. It's the same style as our old peeler, and Oxo is a good brand. What would you recommend?

This would be used once a day for typical home cooking: potatoes, squash, various fruits, nothing special or heavy duty.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
We need sliding shelves for our kitchen cabinets. We can't afford custom-made shelves, so we're looking at pre-fab.

Here's an example of what we're looking at. It meets our requirements:
-Two shelves that slide out.
-Metal grates (which I think will last longer and cost less than wood)
-Holes in the bottom frame, so they can be screwed in at the bottom.

They don't have to exactly match the width and depth of our 36-inch wide cabinets. If there's a 2-foot-wide sliding shelf next to a 1-foot empty space, that's ok.

Do you have any brands you prefer?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Alternative knife sharpeners?

Cheap upright sharpeners like this one don't get my knives as sharp as I like them.

After years of practice, I'm still no good with a whetstone. I can't hold a knife at a consistent angle while I move it across the whetstone.

I'm afraid to use electric sharpeners, as I'll grind down my knives too much.

I pay a guy to sharpen my knives every few months (and I hone them every time I use them), but that's gotten expensive.

There are some alternatives that might help me. Have you tried any of these devices?

Ruixin sharpener This clamps to a table/counter and keeps a consistent angle for sharpening.

Work Sharp Precision Adjust A friend says he uses this on all his hunting/camping knives. I wonder if it would work well for my cutlery.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Oxo is good, it seems to peel a lot off

If you want thin peels to maximize your vegetable and don’t mind more shak shak action, Messermeister

Edit: Amazon doesn’t seem to have the messermeisters

This one?

Thanks for pointing me to that brand. I have a set of steak knives from them that are great. I didn't know they made other equipment.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

FaradayCage posted:

These steak knives are 40% off at the moment:

https://www.messermeister.com/products/san-moritz-elite-4-piece-non-serrated-steak-knife-set

Well worth it?

I've been considering a set. Does it work well with bone-in chicken as well? Also tougher cuts of beef? I'm not used to seeing steak knives that are not serrated (which is probably the cheap way).

I bought a 4 pack of those knives in 2020. They're great. They hold their edge well and they can be honed/sharpened. They've survived lots of abuse with no chips. The handles are plastic resin but feel just like wood.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Just googled Penzeys to see if they ship to Canada and... why are so many of these niche American businesses insanely political? Headings on their website: 'Spices', 'Express Order', 'Gift Boxes', 'About Us', and 'About Republicans'. Seems like they have the right idea but what a crazy thing to put on your spice store website.

e: the other niche businesses I was referring to are fountain pen websites.

I agree. I'm quite left wing and agree with everything Penzeys has to say, but they've really gone overboard with their commentary.

Even if I agree with company's views, I don't need to be reminded of them with every email, text, and invoice.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Hutla posted:

There is crazy family business drama around Penzeys! One branch is super-right wing and took offense at Penzeys supporting something vaguely liberal sometime around the Obama election. The right wing family branch broke away and formed a splinter spice company that runs ads targeted at people searching Penzeys that are all about KEEPING POLITICS OUT OF YOUR SPICES, and FREEDOM OF SPEECH and AMERICAN SMALL BUSINESS!!!

Penzeys was just sort of old hippie liberal but now it seems like they just love sticking it to their terrible cousins.

This explains so much.

It's like the angry teen who won't shut up about how awful Xtians are, and you can't figure out why he won't talk about anything else. Then you learn that his dad was a Baptist preacher and it all clicks.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

I remember getting an email with the subject "Racism Update" and saying "what the gently caress" out loud. It was the Penzey's newsletter. Apparently the previous issue told racists that they were not welcome and to unsubscribe. They had an update on how many people unsubscribed.

They probably put me in the "racists who unsubscribed" numbers. I still buy their spices. I just got tired of their boorish newsletters.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
On the opposite extreme, please stop buying anything from Uline. They're heavily involved in alt-right causes like anti-aborition bills, homophobic and transphobic candidates, and more.

If you run a business, Uline is almost impossible to avoid. They sell everything from pallets to garbage bags, and have a lot of basic kitchen supplies too. But drat, they are seriously right wing. Every catalog they send out (and yeah, they still send phonebook thick catalogs to all their customer every month) has a right-wing rant in the middle of the catalog. Same concept as Penzeys, only with some really vile attitudes, and 600 pages or paper per customer per month.

Now they're heavily involved with defeating Ohio's constitutional amendment to protect the right to abortion and contraception. Read the article to see the details.

I held my nose and ordered from Uline once when I ran a small food business. Never again.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Recommend a large griddle, induction-compatible, 24 to 28 inches wide.

In my house we make a lot of tortillas. We use a 12-inch stainless steel skillet, which only holds one tortilla at a time*. Sometime we make them with the stainless steel skillet on one burner and the cast iron on another. But the cooking time is a little different on each, so it's hard to get into the rhythm of cranking out the tortillas.

We're looking at large griddles like this one from Made In. It's 17.5 inches wide. We could make tortillas 3 at a time. Could we go bigger?

Our standard US-sized stove is 30 inches wide. A 24- or 28-inch wide griddle would cover two burners and let us crank out 5 or 6 tortillas at once. Do they make griddles that big?

We have induction, so we'd need a cast iron, carbon steel, or stainless steel griddle. Preferably carbon or stainless, cuz I can't imagine how much a 2-foot wide slab of cast iron would weigh.

*You could fit 2 5-inch tortillas in the skillet, and that works for warming/frying tortillas. But for making tortillas from masa, you need a little space for flipping.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

It trying to be a jerk, but with induction, I think you’re going to have a bad time. Any part of the griddle that is not directly over the heating coils is not going to be even close to hot enough to cook tortillas.

That's a consideration for sure. I'm tempted to just buy 2 identical griddles and run them on two burners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Reusable abrasive scrubbing pad.

The steel wool I get at my local store is floppy and hard to work with. Brillo pads are tiny and fall apart after a few minutes use. Can you recommend a good brand of steel wool pad?

A disposable steel wool pad would be okay, but if there's something reusable that's even better. Just something I can use to scrub steel and aluminum roasting pans as well as stainless steel coookware.

Follow on: For abrasive powders, is there anything better than Barkeep's Friend? I use it and love it. I'm just curious what similar products are out there.