Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Reuters is reporting a large blast at an airbase in Iraq. Interestingly, there is a US Stratotanker in the air over Iraq, as there was around the time of the strike on Iran yesterday.

e: BBcode is hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

theCalamity posted:

What’s the update on the pier?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3754814&pagenumber=666&perpage=40#post538981141

I'm not familiar with the reliability of the Navy Times, but apparently one of the ships suffered a fire onboard and turned back.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Whataboutism: Now a moderation tool.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 22, 2024

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Marenghi posted:

Weird they can't verify his claims when there's very obvious photographic evidence confirming it.

Yeah, well *other news agency* couldn't confirm it either. Learn to Google, idiot. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

to further add to the confusion, israel regularly reports that they're letting (usually significantly) more trucks through than aid organizations themselves report being allowed through

Can you provide sources for this because I for one find it unconscionable that Israel would report inaccurate numbers.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

how many calories do Arabs really need? cant be the same as normal people right?

That clearly wasn't the meaning of the post.

rkd_ posted:

The error makes a pretty big difference in the whole calculation, 150 trucks per day at 20 tons per truck would be about 6.6 million pounds, which would be more than is required per the calculation.

Also, considering the obesity rate in any Western country I don't know if the average diet of "Westerners" is a meaningful metric to calculate how much food is required to be well-nourished, not to mention that there's a pretty significant difference between 3 and 5 pounds of food.

I get the rationale behind the calculation and I am also not hopeful the pier will get in as much food as some people are saying it will, but it is a whole lot of words and numbers to say nothing meaningful even if the numbers used were correct.
The food value in weight is going to be somewhat irrelevant compared to the calorie value. A quick search shows that 2,000 kcal/day is the average minimum daily requirement; four pounds of carrots, for example, provides less than half of that. In 2018, the US and Ireland averaged 150% of that consumption (~3600+ kcal). That amount would actually probably be more in line with the needs of most Gazans than 2000, at least in the short term, given that anyone living in Gaza is very likely to be on a calorie deficit.

Of course this is all just pissing in the wind as long as there is a genocide going on.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 1, 2024

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Butter Activities posted:

You’re right, population transfers enforced via the direct threat of killing people of an ethnic group if they don’t accept leaving technically might not fall under one definition based on certain interpretations. What an important point.

Well you see, killing them at their "safe" destination is genocide*, but displacing them to a place where you intend to kill them is just sparkling warcrime concentrate.

*It's not officially genocide unless the US govt labels it such. Please beware of other organizations trying to pass off simple ethnic cleansing and mass murder as genuine genocide.

Also here's a journalist actually challenging an Israeli govt spokesperson:
https://twitter.com/SMohyeddin/status/1784208344346919015

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

selec posted:

https://x.com/rtiron/status/1785331988485833154

Looks like nobody's keeping another Liberty incident off their bingo card.

They're talking about US soldiers defending themselves against any theoretical attack by Hamas.

Also, please don't bring up the USS L*****y incident as that's a very anti-semitic thing to mention.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Inner Light posted:

Your opinion is pretty ridiculous and shows a clear bias in how you are interpreting events, Dems have been fairly consistent at not deploying National Guard or other federal resources, and local police generally have remained tolerant up until sidewalk encampments or camping in public places happens. At that point, the law is being broken (depending on the state), so the question of whether and how to remove the protesters becomes more complicated. Also, the universities themselves are the organizations asking the police to remove protesters, not the government.
Columbia students thanking their lucky stars that Dems only sent in one of the most heavily militarized police forces in the world, but thankfully they didn't upgrade to bringing in the folks with tanks and attack helicopters. Such a tender show of mercy.

quote:

Joe Biden on Monday suggested that police forces could train officers to shoot attackers in the legs in order to reduce potential fatalities.

There is “the idea that instead of standing there and teaching a cop when there’s an unarmed person, coming at him with a knife or something, to shoot him in the leg instead of in the heart,” Biden said.

Ah yes, the solution that in most states is attempted murder*

*unless you're wearing a badge.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 3, 2024

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

The heads of the universities are mostly liberals in blue states doing this with the backing of the dem establishment who have labelled the protests violent and anti-Semitic. You can argue that the dems as a party aren't directly responsible for this reaction but they absolutely support it and have encouraged it.

This pretty much covers my response. Columbia didn't force Eric Adams to say the dumb poo poo he said.

e: It's also the governor who can call in the NG, not the Uni leadership, so again, the argument that at least they didn't call in literal main battle tanks is a loving joke.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 3, 2024

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Rebel Blob posted:

It looks like the US aid pier project is off to a great start:

Sorry we had to bulldoze your house to bring you some MREs. What a loving joke.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Kith posted:

No disrespect, but I find it extremely difficult to believe that a music festival that had been advertised for months was an unplanned obstacle. Do you have a source saying it was?

Supernova Sukkot was only moved to the Re’im site two days prior, after another site in southern Israel fell through.

Sorry, it's only Billboard, but this has been reported elsewhere as well.

I spent ten minutes trying to build this out but in short:

I don't agree with the civilian deaths, planned or not, on Oct 7th, or things like parading a civilian corpse in a pickup truck. These are bad acts on their own and completely separate from the sick and twisted practices of the Israeli military and govt.

That said, I also recognize that my experience as a non-minority resident of a first world country allows me the privilege to have that opinion. I've never lived in the world's largest concentration camp and I've never been brutalized by a racist regime hellbent on destroying my people. It's a lot easier to say "murdering civilians is bad" than to think about the difference in perspectives and experiences.

e: on second thought, no

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

I've read a few sources about it but they all just brushed over why it was moved at the last minute. Just that the original location "fell through."

I've never seen the actual reason for it falling through.

I also don't see why it would be better to just have the festival right next to a concentration camp instead of just postponing or cancelling.

I'm not sure the "why" of the location change matters.

As to the bolded part, I think arrogance and complacency would probably explain it.