Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Everblight posted:

The Cabin in the Woods is pretty epochal, and I feel like the people who made it should be a committee you have to stand in front of before making another horror movie and justify your film's existence before you can leave pre-pro.

Nah

poo poo new page, I guess a one word sarcastic post won't do. Cabin in the Woods is funny and entertaining, but its not nearly as clever as it thinks it is. Its had zero influence on the genre and in ten years you'll have to remind people that it ever existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Hopefully Fury Road will have as much influence on action film cinematography as The Matrix did

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Was Layer Cake the first movie with the cut in visuals that are being used more and more these days? (Like in The Big Short)

I don't think it's a classic or even that good, but that overlay style--the film's dialogue transcending the barrier of the camera lens--is going to be one of the hallmarks of contemporary filmmaking.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Really? Every Bond flick? Even Octopussy? Even Tomorrow Never Dies? Even Spectre?

I wouldn't say any of those films were influential to the medium or memorable besides being a "Bond" movie.

Honestly yes. Even the most terrible Bond flicks can pretty much ride the franchise's wave into classicdom. I'd say the only ones that are questionable are the two Timothy Dalton movies as neither wee particularly big hits for this series and he's arguably the least remembered Bond (even George Lazenby is at least remembered by layman as "that first guy they tried replacing Connery with").

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Everblight posted:

The Cabin in the Woods is pretty epochal, and I feel like the people who made it should be a committee you have to stand in front of before making another horror movie and justify your film's existence before you can leave pre-pro.

People's love of seeing genre tropes presented over and over (as long as you put in a surprise or two now and then) will never die. The very next year (hell, the same month) following Cabin in the Woods we had a straightforward Evil Dead remake. poo poo, I wouldn't be surprised if the success (certainly not huge, but well enough for the genre) of Cabin in the Woods HELPED the Evil Dead remake get greenlit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pointing out the idea that the horror genre, or any genre really, is getting stale isn't very original. Historical epics, romantic comedies, science fiction, thrillers, biopics, action, they've all got patterns and tropes that repeat often and have all gone through periods where the crop wasn't so great.

Cabin in the Woods is cleverly executed, I'll give it that. Its a fun, entertaining movie, nothing more.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Children of Men is an extremely mediocre film.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Children of Men always seemed to me to be a very authentic and prescient film. If it was made in 2015 it would probably be considered a bit gratuitous and on the nose in representing an increasingly authoritarian blighty in the grips of a refugee crisis, administered by a a PR-conscious liberal elite. The camerawork, with all its long journalistic takes coming at the viewer like unedited BBC rushes from a modern war zone, stands out to me as brilliant. There's so many little things going on in the background too, that put me in mind of Blade Runner in terms of an obsessive attention to world-building detail. Love it or loathe it, I think calling it mediocre would be wrong.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Toy Story

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Basebf555 posted:

Nah

poo poo new page, I guess a one word sarcastic post won't do. Cabin in the Woods is funny and entertaining, but its not nearly as clever as it thinks it is. Its had zero influence on the genre and in ten years you'll have to remind people that it ever existed.

Plus it owes a fair bit to Scream.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

TomViolence posted:

Children of Men always seemed to me to be a very authentic and prescient film. If it was made in 2015 it would probably be considered a bit gratuitous and on the nose in representing an increasingly authoritarian blighty in the grips of a refugee crisis, administered by a a PR-conscious liberal elite. The camerawork, with all its long journalistic takes coming at the viewer like unedited BBC rushes from a modern war zone, stands out to me as brilliant. There's so many little things going on in the background too, that put me in mind of Blade Runner in terms of an obsessive attention to world-building detail. Love it or loathe it, I think calling it mediocre would be wrong.

Yes using a shaky cam in 2006 is groundbreaking and brilliant: nope

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

RBC posted:

You're just being an rear end right here. Please knock it off.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There are TWO movies released in 2015 called "The Final Girl" (I think one is "Final Girls"). At this point we could probably make a meta deconstruction movie about meta deconstruction slashers.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I was referring more to how said steadicam is actually used, rather than anything else. The pseudo-documentray style wasn't new at the time and hasn't been groundbreaking for decades, but the long, complex takes with all that busy and urgent foreground and background action was incredibly immersive and well put together by any standard. It didn't feel orchestrated or staged to me, it didn't have the artificiality and distance of a movie and for moments it felt like watching raw news footage.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Just gonna echo There Will Be Blood, that's the most obvious to me. Oldboy if that counts as "modern", same with Scream. Fight Club also captures a really interesting portrait of masculinity and it's troubles in the pre-9/11 era. Drive I love and could see being discussed for quite a while. People rarely think of comedies when you say the word "classic" but maybe 40 Year Old Virgin, because it launched the Judd Apatow era of comedy, which is still ongoing. Also 28 Days Later will probably always be remembered by genre fans at least.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

trip9 posted:

People rarely think of comedies when you say the word "classic" but maybe 40 Year Old Virgin, because it launched the Judd Apatow era of comedy, which is still ongoing.

Oh, drat, I can't believe I forgot that one.

People are listing 90s movies and while I would still consider the decade 'modern', I think we're at a point where we all kind of already know what the classic movies from that era are.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Cabin in the Woods wishes it could be something like It Follows.

Forgot about that one. It Follows feels like it may end up in Classic territory at some point.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBC posted:

Children of Men is probably the best film to come out that year aside from The Departed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If what you recall of COM is shakycam, maybe this movie thing isn't your speed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really don't remember any overly obtrusive shakycam in Children of Men, but I do know the cinematographer just won back to back Oscars and also shot Tree of Life.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I really don't remember any overly obtrusive shakycam in Children of Men, but I do know the cinematographer just won back to back Oscars and also shot Tree of Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfBSncUspBk

That's what I think of when I think of the cinematography in Children of Men (or possibly the long take at the end)

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Not sure what you mean by modern. The turn of the century is as good a time as any to start a classification, I guess, although I think in the long run the digital-film divide will demarcate film history more clearly. Luckily for us they coincide.

Memories of Murder is widely considered the best Korean film ever made. It and Oldboy will epitomize what some have already dubbed the Korean New Wave. It began around 1999 and continues to this day (maybe). I would argue that it's over but it is probably too early to know for sure.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

KaptainKrunk posted:

Not sure what you mean by modern. The turn of the century is as good a time as any to start a classification, I guess, although I think in the long run the digital-film divide will demarcate film history more clearly. Luckily for us they coincide.
9/11 is probably a good demarcation point between the contemporary period and the previous one. It was a major shift in the zeitgeist, and so much of cinema since has commented on or responded to the fallout of those attacks.

It's a convenient dividing line when filmmaking technology is considered too. Attack of the Clones, the first fully-digital major motion picture, came out less than a year later, and The Fellowship of the Ring, which showcased a number of groundbreaking visual effects and new digital color grading techniques, was released the same year. That movie arguably started the current iteration of the blockbuster franchise model as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

9/11 is probably a good demarcation point between the contemporary period and the previous one. It was a major shift in the zeitgeist, and so much of cinema since has commented on or responded to the fallout of those attacks.
Yeah, the middle-class ennui of Fight Club, American Beauty and The Matrix feels far less relevant after 9/11, the War on Terror and the global financial crisis.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Ghosts of Mars is the best film of the 21st century.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

lizardman posted:

People's love of seeing genre tropes presented over and over (as long as you put in a surprise or two now and then) will never die. The very next year (hell, the same month) following Cabin in the Woods we had a straightforward Evil Dead remake. poo poo, I wouldn't be surprised if the success (certainly not huge, but well enough for the genre) of Cabin in the Woods HELPED the Evil Dead remake get greenlit.

The Evil Dead wasn't completely straightforward. It messed with the character archetypes a lot and was excellent at getting the audience to second guess who was going to live or die. I'd say it played with or avoided a lot of cliches

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think Mad Max: Fury Road and The Raid: Redemption are going to define action films for a long time.

It still blows my mind that the Raid movies are made by a small team of crazy Indonesians and Welsh people for what they probably spent on catering for any of the Marvel movies.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, the middle-class ennui of Fight Club, American Beauty and The Matrix feels far less relevant after 9/11, the War on Terror and the global financial crisis.

9/11 had a very clear effect on war films. Even stuff about "The good wars" feels a whole lot more depressing through a post 9/11 haze. "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific" illustrate the divide nicely. One has carefully recreated and illuminated strategy, a clear flow in the battles and clearer relationships. The Pacific is a slog, its focus is on how these men are being ruined, and little accomplished.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I can't imagine Fury Road enduring in the same way that the originals (especially Mad Max 2) have. I'd practically forgotten it the next day.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

It still blows my mind that the Raid movies are made by a small team of crazy Indonesians and Welsh people for what they probably spent on catering for any of the Marvel movies.

The whole thing is such a great story. Evans was just hanging around Iko's gym for some reason, maybe training himself I forget. But anyway he meets Iko and observes the fighting style and decided "hey, you really need to be a movie star".

So Evans has this great idea for an epic crime story with complex intertwining storylines and a laundry list of whacked out characters, and he wants Iko to star in it. Too bad Evans is a nobody and there's no way to scrape the kind of money together that it would take to properly realize that kind of vision. Oh well, he says, I guess I'll just make a quick and dirty action movie with a ton of intense action scenes that showcase Iko.

The fact that all of that resulted in the best action movie in about 20 years is insane, but that's how talented Iko and those guys(unfortunately I don't know Mad Dog's name) are.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 6, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

I can't imagine Fury Road enduring in the same way that the originals (especially Mad Max 2) have. I'd practically forgotten it the next day.

Well you should know you're in the extreme minority, at least in this forum. Most people who saw it couldn't get it out of their minds and ended up watching it 3 or 4 times as soon as the blu ray came out.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Payndz posted:

Your imagination is limited.

Basebf555 posted:

The whole thing is such a great story. Evans was just hanging around Iko's gym for some reason, maybe training himself I forget. But anyway he meets Iko and observes the fighting style and decided "hey, you really need to be a movie star".

So Evans has this great idea for an epic crime story with complex intertwining storylines and a laundry list of whacked out characters, and he wants Iko to star in it. Too bad Evans is a nobody and there's no way to scrape the kind of money together that it would take to properly realize that kind of vision. Oh well, he says, I guess I'll just make a quick and dirty action movie with a ton of intense action scenes that showcase Iko.

The fact that all of that resulted in the best action movie in about 20 years is insane, but that's how talented Iko and those guys(unfortunately I don't now Mad Dog's name) are.

Evans was also married into Indonesian money, some very wealthy lady. It is crazy what he's done in three movies, the growth he's shown as a film maker.

My anecdote is that, while in Indonesia, I got to train with the guy who did the stick fights in the second movie. His name is Ari, and he's a pretty drat accomplished Silat and Eskrima teacher. They hired him for the prison riot scene, along with a lot of his students. He also has a very small role a the guy who says "He's already here" in the third act. I asked him about Yayan Ruihan (Mad Dog) and he just responded that he's short.

To put that in perspective, Indonesians are not big people. I stand a bit over 6 foot, and they were taking photos of me like I was a tourist attraction, and this instructor, who comes to my chest, described Yayan as 'short.' which makes the fact that he spends the entire movie kicking people in the face that much more impressive.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

To put that in perspective, Indonesians are not big people. I stand a bit over 6 foot, and they were taking photos of me like I was a tourist attraction, and this instructor, who comes to my chest, described Yayan as 'short.' which makes the fact that he spends the entire movie kicking people in the face that much more impressive.

The impressive thing about Yayan(I'll try to remember that because he's awesome) is the power he projects being as short as he is. Those kicks don't seem like regular kicks, it feels like he's wielding a jackhammer or something in those movies.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

The impressive thing about Yayan(I'll try to remember that because he's awesome) is the power he projects being as short as he is. Those kicks don't seem like regular kicks, it feels like he's wielding a jackhammer or something in those movies.

His fight with Sgt. Jaka in the first movie is incredible as far as making you feel like this guy is credibly dismantling a much larger expert fighter, without leaning on any of the usual David vs. Goliath choreography.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

KaptainKrunk posted:

Memories of Murder is widely considered the best Korean film ever made. It and Oldboy will epitomize what some have already dubbed the Korean New Wave. It began around 1999 and continues to this day (maybe). I would argue that it's over but it is probably too early to know for sure.

I'd argue that the Korean New Wave ended around the time the screen quota problem back in 2006. Sure, some good movies still are released, but nowhere near the number during 99-05. It's almost tragic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

His fight with Sgt. Jaka in the first movie is incredible as far as making you feel like this guy is credibly dismantling a much larger expert fighter, without leaning on any of the usual David vs. Goliath choreography.

That fight is amazing. You simultaneously get a sense of how good Jaka is and just how overwhelmed he is.

It's because Mad Dog doesn't improve position or try to escape, he just fights from whatever terrible position he's in. It's what makes him seem so unstoppable.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I think the Raid films owe a lot to Ong Bak and the Tony Jaa films as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

trip9 posted:

I think the Raid films owe a lot to Ong Bak and the Tony Jaa films as well.

Maybe in the sense that Jaa primed Western audiences to be willing to accept action movies from that part of the world, but overall his films don't really remind me of The Raid at all.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

HP Hovercraft posted:

Ghosts of Mars is the best film of the 21st century.

Oh John Carpenter, your movies were so good before cameras and poo poo got good.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Basebf555 posted:

Well you should know you're in the extreme minority, at least in this forum. Most people who saw it couldn't get it out of their minds and ended up watching it 3 or 4 times as soon as the blu ray came out.
I know. Maybe that's part of it; I wasn't able to see it until it was on DVD and the whole "It reinvents action movies! It's the most incredible adrenaline rush ever!" hype here and in other places had built up expectations it couldn't possibly match. I thought it was... okay. But it was so garish and OTT that it felt cartoony, in a way that the down-and-dirty originals didn't, and I couldn't get involved enough to be swept up by the action.

I guess we'll see the bounds of my imagination in a decade or so.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Do you have a home theater? Because Fury Road needs to sound like a den of cyber-dragons roosting in your living room and seen on the biggest screen possible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Do you have a home theater? Because Fury Road needs to sound like a den of cyber-dragons roosting in your living room and seen on the biggest screen possible.

I agree. I have a reasonable sized t.v., nothing special, but I have the room set up to where I'm sitting about 3 feet away from it when I want to watch a good movie. The first scene of Fury Road where Max's car gets flipped I was like "gently caress yes this is why I get right up close to the screen."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Like several others, Drive immediately came to mind. It's just perfect.

• Locked thread