Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Borat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

My wife

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Borat loving owns

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mulholland Drive, Synecdoche, NY and Holy Motors are among my favorite post-2000 films. I guess I'm more into surrealism than I thought?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

I saw it in the theater with my parents. That was fun.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

trip9 posted:

I think the Raid films owe a lot to Ong Bak and the Tony Jaa films as well.

In the sense that they owe the concepts of 'martial arts' and 'asian people' to them, yes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The show, not the movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

In the sense that they owe the concepts of 'martial arts' and 'asian people' to them, yes.

I think you can say from a marketing perspective Ong Bak did break some new ground and make things easier for a film like The Raid.

When I discovered Ong Bak martial arts films were relegated to those weird mall kiosks that sold niche foreign DVDs. You weren't going to just walk into a Best Buy and see Ong Bak. After that films' success and how big Jaa got in the West, I'm sure it was much easier for something like The Raid to get serious distribution.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sacha Baron Cohen is the Mike Myers of the later 2000s

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Ong Bak actually got limited theatrical release in America. It was a lot of people's first exposure to that style of fight choreography and insane stunts without CGI/wires. Maybe old school Jackie Chan but even that had a lighter tone, and he had been quiet for quite some time when Ong Bak came out. I remember when it was released it was like a breath of fresh air compared to all the "Hollywood" action sequences. So I'd say there's a strong through line from Jackie Chan -> Ong Bak -> The Raid -> John Wick

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

It's been hinted at, and it's sort of cheating because family films are much more likely to pass from generation to generation, but the Pixar Golden Age of 2001-2010, from Monsters, Inc. to Up, has gone down as such an unprecedented run of outstanding films that I don't think a studio will ever be able to truly replicate.

On the animation front, I also think that Spirited Away will remain in the collective animation canon for a very, very long time.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If we're looking at films that paved the way for The Raid, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is probably more relevant than Ong Bak.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

If we're looking at films that paved the way for The Raid, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is probably more relevant than Ong Bak.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was successful in America because of how amazing it looks(costumes, sets, everything), and because it's a love story. The Raid made its name on balls to the wall action and nothing else.

I remember a lot of people who saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon saying that they liked it, but the one part they didn't like was the action because of how floaty and unrealistic it was. Americans don't like obvious wire work unless its in The Matrix.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I feel sorry for the Raid 2. It's a staggeringly ambitious film, and got blown out of the water box office wise by Winter Soldier, which unapologetically owes them its fight choreography. Except substantially worse performed and shot.
I honestly can't imagine why audiences chose Winter Soldier over the lyrical 2.5 hour Indonesian film that's so goddamn violent people start dying as soon as you pick up the dvd.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I was actually surprised how cheap and profitable The Raid 2 was. Evans has spoken about how he wanted to create this sprawling crime epic but didn't have the resources to put it together, hence The Raid, but then I looked and it turns out he still manage to make The Raid 2 for only $4.5 million.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jenny Angel posted:

I was actually surprised how cheap and profitable The Raid 2 was. Evans has spoken about how he wanted to create this sprawling crime epic but didn't have the resources to put it together, hence The Raid, but then I looked and it turns out he still manage to make The Raid 2 for only $4.5 million.

Goddamn I just looked it up and The Raid was made for 1.1 million. Absolutely amazing that a movie can have action that looks that good on that budget.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Jenny Angel posted:

Movies run cheap when you don't have to pay big name actors. Fun fact: Raid 2 was made for less money than Wiseau's The Room.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I am very happy to see There Will Be Blood get so much love.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

piratepilates posted:

Movies run cheap when you don't have to pay big name actors. Fun fact: Raid 2 was made for less money than Wiseau's The Room.

Or if you cast a big name actor who's a super cool dude like Keanu Reeves you can have the best of both worlds. No way John Wick would have been made for $20 million if Keanu demands what he's actually worth, and if the budget were higher a sequel might not have been such a no-brainer. I read he got somewhere in the 5-7 million range, I'm sure he can get more than double that if he wanted to choose projects based on money.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Snowman_McK posted:

I honestly can't imagine why audiences chose Winter Soldier over the lyrical 2.5 hour Indonesian film that's so goddamn violent people start dying as soon as you pick up the dvd.

Here's the sad answer: subtitles (and, of course, marketing).

My brother, who is a huge action movie fan, had to basically be brow-beaten into watching the Raid. He of course absolutely flipped his poo poo, but he wouldn't give it a chance because "I know subtitles don't bother you, but I hate them."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My brother, who is a huge action movie fan, had to basically be brow-beaten into watching the Raid. He of course absolutely flipped his poo poo, but he wouldn't give it a chance because "I know subtitles don't bother you, but I hate them."

There's something about subtitles that make people insecure that they're missing something, especially if they're the type that's constantly elbowing you to whisper a dumb question even when subtitles aren't involved.

I've found that the beginning of The Raid is frustrating to these people, they turn to me and ask "why's he shooting those cops?" and they get confused when Rama says "I'll bring him home", and then you don't find out what he means by that until like 30 minutes later. This is all standard movie stuff but for some reason if its subtitled people will freak out that they're supposed to know everything right away.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

There's something about subtitles that make people insecure that they're missing something, especially if they're the type that's constantly elbowing you to whisper a dumb question even when subtitles aren't involved.

I've found that the beginning of The Raid is frustrating to these people, they turn to me and ask "why's he shooting those cops?" and they get confused when Rama says "I'll bring him home", and then you don't find out what he means by that until like 30 minutes later. This is all standard movie stuff but for some reason if its subtitled people will freak out that they're supposed to know everything right away.

I've been watching subtitled movies for most of my life, I guess it's the same for most of the world who are non-native english speakers. Only the germans are renowned for dubbing all the movies coming out.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
True Grit. Though I'm not sure if being a remake takes away from it being a "Classic"

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
This thread made me see The Raid and all I have to say is :tviv:

But still I'd say Dredd is bit better trapped-in-a-building-with-no-way-out-movie. And on top of that it's a great satire of no nonsense cops and best comic book adaptation of the decade.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fish of hemp posted:

Check out the sequel. Its not at all the same kind of movie but of course there's still plenty of action in it. Its basically the same group of guys that made the first one but this time they did a really complex crime story ala The Godfather.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dredd.

One day. :smith:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flocons de Jambon posted:

True Grit. Though I'm not sure if being a remake takes away from it being a "Classic"

I don't think it does at all. It's so different from the John Wayne original that it's less a remake than another adaptation of the novel.

I've been thinking about the films that the recent Macbeth adaptation (a film very much of this moment) is stylistically indebted to, and there are a couple recent classics that haven't been mentioned in this thread:

Zodiac for its paranoid and oppressive tone
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford for its bleak, mournful setting
Beasts of the Southern Wild for some of its dreamlike slow-motion montages

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Generally 'classic' film are tied closely to their directors. People are going to think of the Coen Brothers' or Wes Anderson's films as a group, the same way that we look at Hitchcock or Kubrick. Ouevre is the word.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

straight up brolic posted:

Was Layer Cake the first movie with the cut in visuals that are being used more and more these days? (Like in The Big Short)

I don't think it's a classic or even that good, but that overlay style--the film's dialogue transcending the barrier of the camera lens--is going to be one of the hallmarks of contemporary filmmaking.

I would probably say Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fish of hemp posted:

But still I'd say Dredd is bit better trapped-in-a-building-with-no-way-out-movie. And on top of that it's a great satire of no nonsense cops and best comic book adaptation of the decade.

Dredd is also fantastic. I always thought a cool movie project would be to have a bunch of different, distinct cinematic cultures (Australia, Mexico, Korea, Japan, India, France, etc) do their own version of that very basic plot (state actor goes into building, it is hard to get out) It's cool how those two films highlighted completely different themes with the same plot. Dredd was about the State's legitimacy and police brutality, The Raid was about class warfare. It'd be awesome to see how those other countries did it. Especially Mexico, which has a very complex relationship with its police.

Also, the sequel is loving amazing. A very different beast, but worth it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'd probably add The Grey. Maybe it was because Neeson was still so close to his wife's death, but his performance was one of his best. It's bleak and nihilistic, but the turn in the last scene makes it all worthwhile, and it's because he just sells it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'd probably add The Grey. Maybe it was because Neeson was still so close to his wife's death, but his performance was one of his best. It's bleak and nihilistic, but the turn in the last scene makes it all worthwhile, and it's because he just sells it.

I somehow always forget about The Grey even though I love it. Definitely agree, it's an incredibly emotional movie and I'm definitely going to watch it again now.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I still randomly think about the grey's editing, it's got some of the most amazing cuts in any movie I can think of

granted that's a small detail but it does it so loving well it sticks out

(the rest of the movie is great too, it definitely fits itt)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Joe Carnahan is a ridiculously talented guy. Narc was loving amazing.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I've seen The Grey get a lot of love on SA, but I couldn't get into it. And I wouldn't say anything they do in the movie is especially groundbreaking.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Or if you cast a big name actor who's a super cool dude like Keanu Reeves you can have the best of both worlds. No way John Wick would have been made for $20 million if Keanu demands what he's actually worth, and if the budget were higher a sequel might not have been such a no-brainer. I read he got somewhere in the 5-7 million range, I'm sure he can get more than double that if he wanted to choose projects based on money.

Keanu certainly doesn't seem to be overly concerned with money. I mean he is of course still a multi-millionaire, but he is very charitable and gives tons of money to the crew on his films

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

blue squares posted:

Keanu certainly doesn't seem to be overly concerned with money. I mean he is of course still a multi-millionaire, but he is very charitable and gives tons of money to the crew on his films

Estimates put his worth in the hundreds of millions of dollars. I can imagine why he doesn't stress too much about money. He's like the bizarro Adam Sandler.

There's that great story that he took a significant pay cut on "The Replacements" to make sure Gene Hackman was in the movie.

Keanu owns.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 31, 2016

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
A Scanner Darkly will stick out to me as a classic from the past decade. Reeves is a treasure.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Top 10 new classics 2005-2015:

No Country for Old Men
It Follows
The Act of Killing
12 Years a Slave
The Raid
Zero Dark Thirty
A Separation
Inglorious Basterds/Django Unchained
There Will Be Blood/The Master
Drive

Not necessarily my ten favorites, but the ten that first came to mind as instant classics right out the gate. The ones with alternates are ones where I feel like it depends who you ask. And to be honest, The Dark Knight should probably be on there whether you like it or not. Hot Fuzz is another alternate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Wow, you are REALLY hot on It Follows huh

• Locked thread