Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Welcome back, dear thread.

The last 2 years have been a bust for different reasons - let us hope that hubris is back to having the biggest death toll again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Yessss
Alyssa Azar - the young Australian girl from Everest threads past - is making her third (3rd) attempt at having her corpse permanently adorn great Chomolungma

http://www.alyssaazar.com.au/blog/

Because while YOU may be under the impression that Mt Everest is an immensely challenging treking/climbing challenge beset with unpredictably hazardous weather and unstable terrain into an atmosphere in while human life cannot survive, in fact,

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

mike12345 posted:

Is the Matterhorn even technically difficult? I thought it's super-popular, but maybe not just all the way to the top.

It's not K2, but it's far from trivial

quote:

Today, all ridges and faces of the Matterhorn have been ascended in all seasons, and mountain guides take a large number of people up the northeast Hörnli route each summer. In total, up to 150 climbers attempt the Matterhorn each day during summer. By modern standards, the climb is fairly difficult (AD Difficulty rating), but not hard for skilled mountaineers according to French climbing grades. There are fixed ropes on parts of the route to help. Still, several climbers die each year due to a number of factors including the scale of the climb and its inherent dangers, inexperience, falling rocks, and overcrowded routes. The Matterhorn is thus amongst the deadliest mountains in the world. By the late 1980s, it was estimated that over 500 people have died whilst attempting its summit since the 1865 ascent, with an average of about 12 deaths each year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matterhorn#Climbing_history

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

koreban posted:

The gods having had their fill the last two years will only require the sacrifice of 6 brave souls this season.

See, I feel otherwise. Over the last two seasons, the gods have had their fill of hardworking sherpas and poor Nelapese locals, but are starved for the souls of conceited rich westerners.

It's time to settle the score.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Sweet 64mb gif file dude. You're posting from Gfycat - use Gifv/webm

Serak fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 16, 2016

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Alan Smithee posted:

So what is the last year that nobody died on the mountain?

If the Wikipedia list is complete and accurate, 1977.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

How on earth do you get food poisoning when you're in sub-zero temperatures?

There's no shortage of ways for food to get contaminated other than letting meat sit at room temperature.

It's not like base camp has running water or proper sanitation

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

OldMemes posted:

That's just depressing. Hopefully he'll be like that Australian girl who wanted to be the youngest to climb, then they shut the mountain, and by the time it reopened, she'd had her birthday and lost her book deal and her interest in doing it.

Oh no she didn't
http://www.alyssaazar.com.au/

She just lowered her goal, which is now 'Youngest Australian to climb Everest'. She's 19 now and a quick google shows that the current youngest Australian climber did it at 21. Of course, should she miss THAT goal, there's always 'Youngest Australian Woman to Climb Everest' etc.

Just keep coming back & back & back and throw money at the mountain until you get a record for yourself.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

cyberia posted:

I've honestly never thought about it before but now I am curious if there's a way to keep water liquid at high altitudes.

Your choices are keeping it hot or under high pressure, and high pressure is pretty impractical.

I would assume that climbers heat their water over the stove before leaving camp and use a insulated/vacuum flask to keep it above freezing while they're hiking.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

redleader posted:

Annual Everest thread 2017: ALL GIFTS ARE ACCEPTED BY CHOMOLUNGMA

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Serak fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 24, 2017

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Lunsku posted:

Now just color that cast neon green and we have :perfect:

A good idea is a good idea. Updated.

ewe2 posted:

We need a yellow parka too.

Thought about it, but pushing my skills there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

elwood posted:

My immersion!

Everste is the dark mountain in the back not the one in the front (thats Nuptse).

Getting the mountain wrong is an error more fundamental than even I can stand - fixed.