Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The 2013 version of this thread is responsible for my love of climbing. Because of it I ended up reading a bunch of Ed Viesturs' books, visiting my local climbing gym, and transforming from a fat gently caress into someone who can lead climb 5.11+ routes. I'm taking my first to Utah this year to climb some red rock. However, I hate cold, so you'll never see me on an actual mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Xibanya posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll see what I can do about hosting.

I'm really proud to be the first white woman from Texas to make a game based on the misadventures of a south Asian woman from Canada so I'll take a moment to give a bit more context. #Everest is a survival sim about climbing Mt. Everest where your objective is to get the highest score. You are scored based on how many likes the selfies you take in-game get, so you have to balance taking survival gear with dumb bullshit like guitars that will look cool in a picture. I tied the game to the real Twitter account @HashtagEverest so you can tweet all the pictures you take there from the game itself. The game is ~fully voice acted~ and is crammed full of as many retarded references to these threads as I thought I could get away with. It is my love letter to you, Everest death poolers, and it's free, so please check it out! http://slamfighter.com/download

Does anyone know a better solution to hosting the 185MB zip than mediafire?

This sounds fantastic and I'm not sure how I missed it. Maybe it should be in the OP? I'm going to download it now.

Also, Everest will eat 162 climbers this year.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 30, 2016

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Amgard posted:

I thought K2 was too lightly traveled to have significant bottlenecks, and the main reason for its lethality was the steep inclines resulting in increased avalanche risk and greater exposure to high winds.

This is a genuine prod, I don't know why K2/Annapurna are more lethal, but I'm skeptical of bottlenecks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottleneck_(K2)

Annapurna is dangerous because it's very technical and it's difficult to find a route that isn't avalanche prone (also weather).

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I can do a serious post and recommend some books within the next week as well. I've read a ton of stuff about mountaineering in the last couple of years and have found a couple of real gems.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Since he's going for records, I would assume he's climbed these places several times and he knows the route he is going to take. It's a simple matter of placing cameras and people along his route.

Pretty much. He's climbed the north face of Eiger 40+ times at this point so they know where to place cameras and when/where to do flyovers.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Jose posted:

for records yeah but what about when its supposedly the case of someone doing their first climb or whatever? is that just not true and they practice it a bunch and film it. What do they use for the side of the mountain shots? A helicopter and a long distance lens?

I guess you bring a GoPro or pay a cameraman to lug his poo poo along and film you. The latter obviously isn't feasible when you're doing crazy Ueli Steck style poo poo. For instance, he doesn't have video evidence of his record Annapurna climb because his camera poo poo the bed and they didn't have a clear shot of his summit or even know where the hell he was at the base camp.

Here's my favorite climbing documentary and it includes an interview with the cameraman that came along.

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/ng-live/libecki-richards-antarctica-lecture-nglive?source=relatedvideo

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Has anyone seen Meru? I think I'm going to watch that tonight instead of the Superbowl.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I watched Meru last night and the shark fin certainly looks extremely difficult. I have no idea if it's more difficult than k2, but it looks it.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I took a class on ice climbing today at my local climbing gym. It's dumb and I suck at it.

I want to watch that movie but I can't find it anywhere. Thanks for the heads up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I've read a ton of books about mountaineering but don't remember anyone whipping out a flask and drinking whiskey after summiting. I think Veisturs or Krakauer or someone wrote about smoking some weed after downclimbing Everest, but that's boring. I want gopro footage of someone hitting a flask on an 8k peak.