Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

watched a few eps of re zero, it could build tension and mystery reasonably well, but holy hell did the dialogue involving the mc irritate the gently caress out of me, he cant loving shut up

The nice thing about Rezero is that it improves with basically every episode, I wasn't too impressed with it at first but it ended up being probably my favorite show this season. It's also a clever enough show to reward re-watches, you can catch a lot of hints you miss the first time around after finishing an arc.

Subaru is also an interesting MC, he seems calculated to be likeable enough that you're happy when he triumphs and also annoying enough that you don't terribly mind seeing him brutally murdered for being an idiot.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Agronox posted:

Btw, for the person wondering about Kiznaiver, I am also in the "watch it!" camp. It takes a while to get going but if they manage to provide a satisfying ending it will be one of my favorites of the year.

Yea this. Even before it really gets going it was a good show, but these last few episodes really delivered.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Strange Quark posted:

Deen is a top-tier studio, and I'm gonna say that in the Spring Season 2016: Requiem for a DEEN thread.

Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū was the best show of winter 2016 and season 2 is gonna be amazing. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarō is the best show of spring 2016.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Kuma Miko ended like Orwell's 1984. After a vivid hallucination that a cheering audience was actually throwing rocks at her, Machi decides to "stop thinking about difficult things".

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Tanaka-kun is a SoL show that seems to have slipped under a lot of folks' radars, perhaps due to it not having cute girls front and center, but it's really good (and does in fact have cute girls, just not as the main characters)! Cute, funny, pretty gay all around.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I'm getting the distinct impression that Volbear is something I need in my life.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 21, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

HellCopter posted:

Kuma Miko ended like Orwell's 1984. After a vivid hallucination that a cheering audience was actually throwing rocks at her, Machi decides to "stop thinking about difficult things".

Sounds good

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Tanaka-kun is a SoL show that seems to have slipped under a lot of folks' radars, perhaps due to it not having cute girls front and center, but it's really good (and does in fact have cute girls, just not as the main characters)! Cute, funny, pretty gay all around.
All the girls and guys on that show are best girl (except Rino).

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Cannot believe how good ReZero turned out. I liked it from the start but was extremely worried that it would flounder and waste its potential. I'm not going to say everything it goes for works, but it does enough stuff both good and surprising that you can easily accept the bumps along the way.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

HellCopter posted:

She gazed up at Natsu's enormous face. Fourteen years it had taken her to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the muzzle. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two ice-cream-scented tears trickled down the sides of her nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. She had won the victory over herself. She loved Big Bear.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Mirage posted:

She gazed up at Natsu's enormous face. Fourteen years it had taken her to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the muzzle. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two ice-cream-scented tears trickled down the sides of her nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. She had won the victory over herself. She loved Big Bear.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

also flying witch aots

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Flying Witch is great and I love it like I love a clear sunny day*, but my choice for aots is Luluco.

*: I love a clear sunny day very much.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Flying Bitch

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Rude!!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Excellent new avatar

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

But accurate.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

Excellent new avatar

Thank! I miss my lum but I need my own forum brand

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Branding is important when posting about anims

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I kinda want a new avatar, but current one reflects me p. well when I post here.

I need to catch up with Flying Witch and Tonkatsu DJ

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

also flying witch aots

AotC where C stands for Century, actually.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Aots goes to Tanaka-kun is always listless. Congratulations!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

K. Flaps posted:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Congradulations Tanaka how do u feel?

Tanaka:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

K. Flaps posted:

My favorite is JoJo

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
You should check out Tanaku-kun, official adtrw aots, some time.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Congradulations Tanaka how do u feel?

Tanaka:

:yawn:

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

also flying witch aots

flying witch is really boring for the first three episodes, so I stopped watching. what happens after that makes it so good?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

The Unholy Ghost posted:

flying witch is really boring for the first three episodes, so I stopped watching. what happens after that makes it so good?

If you didn't like it at first, you probably aren't going to like the rest of it

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Nothing happens after. It is that kind of show. If you don't like it after the high school girl nonchalantly buys a broom to fly groceries home and the kid sister loses her mind over it, you don't like it.

I personally stopped watching it. It probably is AOTS just for how perfectly executed it is, but there's nothing particularly engaging about it other than wanting to watch a good show.

kater fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 22, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes an episode of Flying Witch will end I'll think "that's all that happened? that's amazing!".

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Good and Cool Slice of Life Shows
Flying Witch
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
Bad Slice of Life Shows
Kumamiko
Bakuon
Slice of Life Shows I Can't Decide On
Sansha Sanyou
Anne-happy

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Good and Cool Slice of Life Shows
Flying Witch
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
Bad Slice of Life Shows
Kumamiko
Bakuon
Slice of Life Shows I Can't Decide On
Sansha Sanyou
Anne-happy

Yeah, pretty much. For me, Sansha Sanyou was good enough to keep watching and Anne-happy was not.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Sansha Sanyou has cats that are animated like they're made of marshmallow and are extremely adorable.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I legitimately really like Anne Happy. It's a completely different type of show than either Tanaka-kun or Flying Witch, both of which I also like, so I'd be hard-pressed to compare them.

On another note: I watched Kuma Miko yesterday night and tonight. For the life of me, I'm still unsure what I think of it. On the one hand, it was regressive on the part of the namesake character, and a bit depressing. On the other hand, it managed to harshly scold any number of anime character tropes for their complaisance in damaging their charges. Also, I might just be imagining it, but it could also work as a deconstruction of Tamako Market (There's certain hints in the OP- main character's pendant, Natsu's tophat/cane, etc). Instead of treating the desire to remain in her own insular and comfortable environment as a positive thing, as did Tamako Market, they treat it as an artificial result of trauma inflicted upon Machi.

My big problem with the ending was the happy date between Yoshio and Hibiki. This interpretation would be a hell of a lot more plausible if upon seeing what had become of Machi and hearing Yoshio's reprehensible "Idols are the modern version of human sacrifices" speech, she decided to say "gently caress you and the horse you rode in on" and cut off all contact with her former crush.

Of course, there's also the problem that the original mangaka hated the ending himself, so any of those things would have been added by the adaptation's screenwriter in the anime-original part, and wholesale change the feel of the original work. Oh well, as a gambit to get me to read the manga, it would have succeeded if scanlations didn't end 1/3 of the way through the show's plot-line due to translators being 6 volumes behind. So, if that was the goal for the Japanese-language market, it might have been a roaring success (at the cost of the sacrificial screenwriter's career, who has been forced to take down all of his social media pages due to public outrage).

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 23, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't think kuma miko is a deconstruction of tamako market

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dont know why anyone would think that, even

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Kytrarewn posted:

So, if that was the goal for the Japanese-language market, it might have been a roaring success (at the cost of the sacrificial screenwriter's career, who has been forced to take down all of his social media pages due to public outrage).

it is

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
i thought that word got you a probation

in any case Kumamiko seems more like a thing that's fun to read rather than to see animated although that one part with the DJ Kuma was cute and funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Sansha Sanyou is super, lavishly pretty but I didn't like any of the characters and it wasn't sufficiently cute, so I dropped it after two episodes.

Flying Witch and Tanaka-kun are the best thing this season, and this is a season with Macross Delta and Kuromukuro in it, too.

• Locked thread