Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Shonen Maid is still cute and good. Same with Aggressive Retsuko. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

At least 15 episodes later than I should have, I'm finally dropping Asterisk. It is just so loving dull and not once lived up to the moment they had really early on where the fire girl grabbed the guy and fought while flying around together. Each week I'd watch hoping for something with an ounce of similar flair and just never got nothing. loving had some of the least imaginative fantasy battle sequences I've ever seen.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

congratulations on taking 15 episodes to do something most of us did in 0

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Dropping the show gives me time to watch Hundred now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

kater posted:

Dropping the show gives me time to watch Hundred now.

Yay, you can stop eating poo poo so that you can eat more poop.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

kater posted:

At least 15 episodes later than I should have, I'm finally dropping Asterisk. It is just so loving dull and not once lived up to the moment they had really early on where the fire girl grabbed the guy and fought while flying around together. Each week I'd watch hoping for something with an ounce of similar flair and just never got nothing. loving had some of the least imaginative fantasy battle sequences I've ever seen.
I'm still watching, but I don't blame you at all for dropping it after this week's episode.

That's was quite anticlimactic, for all of the buildup.

For what it's worth, I really liked the fight a couple weeks ago when dude was stuck in his refractory period, granted that it was then ruined by them just ignoring it after 10 minutes of fighting.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
So was Kiznaiver actually good?

This season I've kept up with Jojos, Tonkatsu DJ, and Mayoiga which were all good. I have fallen behind on Flying Witch, but I do intend to finish it eventually. Haifuri was disappointing and ultimately a waste of time. Did I miss anything particularly notable?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's okay. It had a couple of strong episodes in the middle but it starts weak and has been doing downhill lately

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
MACROSS DELTA

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

This season I've kept up with Jojos, Tonkatsu DJ, and Mayoiga which were all good. I have fallen behind on Flying Witch, but I do intend to finish it eventually. Haifuri was disappointing and ultimately a waste of time. Did I miss anything particularly notable?

Concrete Revolutio

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i like kiznaiver. i think it is good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

MACROSS DELTA

:yeah:

And also Tanaka-kun, and Kuromukuro.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

brainwrinkle posted:

As someone who struggles in connecting with people and having a tendency to rely on first impressions too much, I find it to be a very fascinating show, though how it will all end remains to be seen

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

brainwrinkle posted:

Re:Zero

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tamba posted:

Re:Zero

This was definitely a lot better than I expected when I went in. Is it getting more seasons?

vvv: Awesome, thanks!

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 21, 2016

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Truga posted:

This was definitely a lot better than I expected when I went in. Is it getting more seasons?

It's continuing on through the Summer season, meant to be two cours total (for now), I think?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Good Shows this season:

Jojo
ReZero
My Hero Academia
Space Patrol Luluco

OK Shows:

Kiznaiver
Concretio Revolutio
Flying Witch
Netoge

Disappointing:

Kumamiko

I haven't watched Macross or the Netflix show or Kabeneri, and I'm not bothering with obviously terrible stuff like Hundred or Big Order that no one should have watched.

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 21, 2016

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Is Endride good? I only watched the first episode and then stopped when Re:Zero seemed better.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Still only watching the three of Jojo/Flying Witch/Macross, but all are pretty great. I've definitely come around to warming up to Delta at the very least.

Kind of want to add another show now that I've finished going through a few tv show backlogs, but nothing in the descriptions for the rest of the lineup sounds like something up my alley. Maybe Mayoiga?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

Is Endride good? I only watched the first episode and then stopped when Re:Zero seemed better.

This is the first time I've heard the name so I'm guessing not

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Still only watching the three of Jojo/Flying Witch/Macross, but all are pretty great. I've definitely come around to warming up to Delta at the very least.

Kind of want to add another show now that I've finished going through a few tv show backlogs, but nothing in the descriptions for the rest of the lineup sounds like something up my alley. Maybe Mayoiga?

Mayoiga was never quite as good once it started revealing things but it was still very entertaining throughout

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mayoiga was funny as hell. If you have any affection in your heart for bad horror/thriller movies, give it a shot.

I didn't watch Kumamiko, but a bunch of folks seemed mad and/or disappointed at it. Anyone care to do a post-mortem?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Could always just dip into the well and get around to watching that Rakugo show from winter, since despite being a Deen joint it was apparently great.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I'm gonna end up sounding like a broken record, but Concrete Revolutio was amazing imo and will probably end up as my AOTY

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mayoiga is very cool.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Shonen Maid is still cute and good. Same with Aggressive Retsuko. That is all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Guess no one wound up giving a poo poo about Bakuon.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Mayoiga was funny as hell. If you have any affection in your heart for bad horror/thriller movies, give it a shot.

I didn't watch Kumamiko, but a bunch of folks seemed mad and/or disappointed at it. Anyone care to do a post-mortem?

From what I hear the humor just got increasingly mean spirited as the show went on

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Bad adaptation

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

It got really bad

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Could always just dip into the well and get around to watching that Rakugo show from winter, since despite being a Deen joint it was apparently great.

it was

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

Deen is a top-tier studio, and I'm gonna say that in the Spring Season 2016: Requiem for a DEEN thread.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Only show I stuck with was Tonkatsu DJ.

I have no regrets!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Agetarou is gonna throw a big party at LARD CITY, this Sunday

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

it was a bad adaptation. tiny bits of fanservice or mean gags that would pass in a second while reading became 1min+ segments that were very uncomfortable to watch. some chapters were adapted out of order, leading to one character bullying, befriending, and then again bullying Machi (the mc). not really casual bullying either, it was straight up a 24 y/o gut-punching and headbutting a 14 y/o for no discernable reason. there were also several episodes that were pretty much stilted advertisements for real life stores, which rubbed me the wrong way.

aside from those issues, the finale apparently has Machi give into her social anxiety/paranoia that city people hate her. she swears off ever going to the city again, despite having just given a performance that the city people genuinely liked. Natsu doesn't seek to correct her hosed up view of herself at all, and that's the end!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
watched a few eps of re zero, it could build tension and mystery reasonably well, but holy hell did the dialogue involving the mc irritate the gently caress out of me, he cant loving shut up

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Oh yeah, Rakugo was superb. Watch eeet.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
so in summation of What I Watched This Season since most of it is pretty much over:

Concrete Revolutio was more of the show, as expected! It continued being interesting and fun, if a bit hard to follow and ultimately talking way too much about justice and 'what it means to be a superhuman' and not really doing much with that. As a whole it leaves me a little conflicted though.

Flying Witch is probably show of the season let's be real, it's fantastic and pleasant and charming in every way and the only bad thing about the show is that it's ending. One of my all-time favorites.

High School Fleet is...surprisingly good in some ways, somewhat disappointing in others. I went in expecting fluffy nothing on a boat, it actually delivered a story about being caught up in some crazy naval conspiracy, said conspiracy turned out to be a little lame. Mixed bag here.

Mayoiga turned out much different than expected. Someone in the thread put it better than I would have, it's basically a cheesy horror B-movie that plays on what we expect from those. If you genuinely liked Another for what it was and not what everyone was expecting it to be, this is for you.

Kiznaiver is another favorite of the season. I was worried Trigger might fall into a Kill la Kill-shaped rut and put all their effort into ostentatious things without much substance but they went the complete opposite way with Kiznaiver, focusing on a lower-key story about connections and personal interaction and it's turned out very nicely. It may speak a lot to some, may fall flat on others, that's kind of the nature of it, but it really got to me.

Kabaneri; Attack on Train. Turned out to be more accurate than thought. Very strong opening, I found, but the main villain is so far turning out to be :moreevil: to the max and would probably eat a baby to prove a point, he's kind of lame.

Joker Game is good! If you like tales of espionage then this is your jam. The ensemble cast really turns out to basically be just one character with eight faces and the only real character development comes in from the spymaster guy so if that's what you were looking for you're out of luck, but with its decided format as a series of small mystery short stories, it does a good job.

Kuromukuro genuinely surprised me. I kind of went in not knowing or expecting much besides 'it has a robot' and I may well have not ended up following it at all considering the poor subs originally, but it's turned out very compelling and fun. Falls into a bit of the genre cliches from time to time? But does enough with them to not make it feel like a drag.

Macross Delta is more Macross! Idols and planebots. Pleasant on the whole but really not much more to say, you know what you're getting into from the summary blurb alone and it turned out exactly as expected.

Netoge is another slight surprise! I expected it to be more or less garbage! But it's done a really nice job at being more or less about shut-in rehab with a comedic bent. I could stand for slightly less chest-focused camera shots but anime

Sakamoto is great silly fun, Sakamoto is the best and also my spirit animal.

Luluco is Inferno Cop 2 in all but name. Trigger having a good lark about the office and being silly goofs. It works well for them as a side project.

AND FOR THE THINGS I DID NOT FINISH

Bakuon thoroughly turned me off in the span of one episode and really was only 'sorta okay' and only occasionally elicited much amusement from me. It's a casualty really of there being so much good things this season.

Big Order could have kept me by merit of silly ridiculousness but like...it was just so boring, and stuff was just thrown at the wall, and the central conceit of the story made little coherent sense. Once more trying to be Code Geass, once more ending up Guilty Crown.

Sansha Sanyou didn't really catch me in the first place, another casualty of just so many other shows I was so much more into.

really crowded season! there are other things people talked a lot about that i just never got around to. overall generally good but i will be kind of happy for the lower volume of things come summer

also yes Rakugo is very very very very good and I highly advise watching it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

dogsicle posted:

some chapters were adapted out of order, leading to one character bullying, befriending, and then again bullying Machi (the mc). not really casual bullying either, it was straight up a 24 y/o gut-punching and headbutting a 14 y/o for no discernable reason.

This sounds good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Gyra_Solune posted:

so in summation of What I Watched This Season...

Thanks for these write ups! I'm usually behind on seasons and then end up binge watching once they're done, and this will help. I will definitely have to check out FW and MHA.

Btw, for the person wondering about Kiznaiver, I am also in the "watch it!" camp. It takes a while to get going but if they manage to provide a satisfying ending it will be one of my favorites of the year.

• Locked thread