Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Dick Trauma posted:

Luckiest cat in the world.

The best darn cat ever. How many of his nine lives is Butters up to now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That sure is a look of "...and I nearly escaped, too :sigh:"

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Chili posted:

Alrighty, so forgive the delay on this but I wanted to make sure things were stable before I posted.

A few weeks ago I went to give Butters his dinner and his meds and he didn't come sprinting at me so I got worried. Couldn't find him anywhere in the house.

A door was left open and he had gotten out. This had happened once before and I found him hiding under a lip in the house.

No such luck.

What followed was a horrible few days and nights of me wandering around without any sleep, shaking cat food in a tin and trying, fruitlessly, to find Butterscotch. It was a totally lovely way to spend a few days, lemme tell you.

After day 3, I kinda gave up hope. No food, no meds, and it was pouring like crazy.

I emotionally said goodbye to Butterscotch.

So sure enough, the next morning I get a message on facebook (which I made an account for just because of this horrible cat getting lost) from my next-door neighbor that Butterscotch is meowing and scratching at her backdoor.

I sprinted over and he looked at me with the guiltiest god drat expression I've ever seen. He so very clearly was just ready to live with this new person instead of coming back home and facing my disappointment.

Anyhow, it had been storming the night before and somehow his coat was immaculate, he had lost a couple of pounds, and looked utterly perfect after grooming. Took him to the vet and the vet was blown away by how healthy this cat (who was supposed to be about a year ago by now due to congestive heart failure) seemed to be.

So that's Butterscotch. I have a four-year-old, a four-month-old and 14-year-old cat. He is absolutely the biggest pain in the rear end out of the three. But at least he's a looker.

This was me 2 minutes after I recovered him.

That pile of fur is from just one side of him.

Well check at the vet

Quoting for new page. Yay Butterscotch, I'm glad you found him. He's a genuine Miracle Kitty™

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I would be crushed if my cat went missing. Fortunately when Alby gets out he just hides under our front porch and rolls in the dirt for awhile while I try to coax him back out.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Win a cake for the motherland.
Orange babies and pretty siamese mix girls are all doing great. Orange mama got spayed yesterday and the girls are all spayed now.

Toad is still healing from a bad ringworm lesion on her back, other 2 are completely healed.

And thennnn....

My friend is a locally-known dog rescuer and people dump animals at her house occasionally. 7 babies and their mother were dumped Saturday night at her house in a box. I went Sunday to check them out and 2 had already died and 1 died in my hands when i was looking at them. It was bad. Fleas like I've never seen. Ants. Eyes crusted shut. Bad.

I took the 4 survivors and their mother home, bathed and started medicating babies. Mama got spayed yesterday and I'm gonna put her in the yard today. She's terrified and in my bathroom right now. I think she'll be more comfortable in the yard. Babies have teeth, so they can eat food.

I went to the vet Wednesday and he said they looked great, keep doing what I'm doing. I've never had kittens bounce back this fast. I really expected at least the little black one to be dead Monday morning.

Eeeee!

Omggggg hes soooo cute and sooooo little!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You're doing great work for these poor kittens that didn't have a chance on their own. It's just cruel of people to abandon them like that.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Hello PI goons! TL;DR: One of the kittens we are currently fostering is almost entirely blind and we are having trouble weaning her from a bottle and getting her to eat on her own. Any suggestions?

Longer version: We were fostering a mama cat with two babies, and an orphaned litter of four came in to the local county shelter. They were placed with us through the rescue we volunteer with, since we had a nursing mom. Two of the four passed unfortunately (the entire litter was very young, and very sick, and had been neglected for at least a day, possibly two, after their previous foster person was hit by a car, I guess?), and the two remaining kittens had severe eye infections. One is doing fine now, she only has one working eye, but the vet says that she is alright, and she can eat and drink on her own, so we aren't worried about her at all.

The second is blind in both eyes (she can possibly see light/dark), and may have to have one, or both eyes removed eventually. These two are about a week younger than the others we already had, so mama cat started weaning earlier than what these babies needed. With the blind kitten, we had to supplement her diet with formula, then we moved to formula mixed with wet food, and now we are trying to get her to eat on her own. She won't eat from any utensils, bowls, plates, or cups, and has just started taking food from our hands, but not much. She can smell just fine, can find the food, knows that it's edible, she just won't eat from anything other than a bottle.

Does anyone have any possible suggestions we can try here? We asked the vet and their only suggestion was to use a nebulizer with saline, in case there was draining from her eyes causing some sort of blockage in her sinuses. But like I said, it's obvious she can smell, she just gets really upset when we don't give her a bottle. I would appreciate any help or advice anyone can provide. I've tried searching online and have come up short. Thanks everyone!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Comrade Cakewalk, you're very brave to keep exposing yourself to this kind of heartbreak. Thank you.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

What are the downsides (besides the obvious that it's a lot of work) to keeping her on a bottle for longer? Delayed development? Malnutrition?

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

kw0134 posted:

What are the downsides (besides the obvious that it's a lot of work) to keeping her on a bottle for longer? Delayed development? Malnutrition?

Frankly, she will already be difficult to adopt out because she is blind. But if she can't eat on her own (worst case scenario), that makes it even tougher. I'm also worried about her weight gain, as our rescue fixes kittens at two pounds, and she is really lagging behind on that goal compared to her sibling. The vet says she is doing "fine" so far health-wise, but I am also personally concerned about malnutrition, delayed development, like you said.

Ultimately, she will have a home with us if she never gets adopted. It would just be much nicer and easier if she could feed herself.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Skutter posted:

Frankly, she will already be difficult to adopt out because she is blind. But if she can't eat on her own (worst case scenario), that makes it even tougher. I'm also worried about her weight gain, as our rescue fixes kittens at two pounds, and she is really lagging behind on that goal compared to her sibling. The vet says she is doing "fine" so far health-wise, but I am also personally concerned about malnutrition, delayed development, like you said.

Ultimately, she will have a home with us if she never gets adopted. It would just be much nicer and easier if she could feed herself.

If she's only eating from your fingers so far, she might just prefer hands-on service because it's comforting that you're near? In which case you might be able to help transition her by putting her and her food in a nest of something that smells like you, like used towels or tshirts.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah that's pretty normal for helping blind cats navigate, let them build a smell map of their environment by having them associate familiar smells with food and litter. Cats got a good sense of smell, in some areas better than dogs.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Well, the little black kitten wasn't able to recover from the flea anemia, eye infections, and coccidia, she died this weekend :(

Other kittens are doing really, really well. This one is my favorite, she's so cute. The biggest one is a bastard, he runs and hisses. LOVE ME, GODDAMNIT.

I almost had 2 more kittens, lmao. But the lady who has them wouldn't give them to me unless I also took their feral mother. I told her I'll get the mother cat spayed for her for free, but I'm not taking a feral cat. No deal, says the idiot. No deal. Cool. Super cool.
I should have just done what I've done to other people: take the feral cat, get it fixed, put it right back where I got it. "Hahaha! Oh wow, it came back? How weeeeirdd..."

Hope those kittens are still alive. :sigh:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Comrade Cakewalk posted:

Other kittens are doing really, really well. This one is my favorite, she's so cute.

Her eyes are so big :kiddo: :kimchi:

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
She's precious and very lovey

yum yum yum!

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

If she's only eating from your fingers so far, she might just prefer hands-on service because it's comforting that you're near? In which case you might be able to help transition her by putting her and her food in a nest of something that smells like you, like used towels or tshirts.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah that's pretty normal for helping blind cats navigate, let them build a smell map of their environment by having them associate familiar smells with food and litter. Cats got a good sense of smell, in some areas better than dogs.

Thanks friends! We tried the nesting (using our shirts) and it hasn't worked yet, but we're hopeful.

Unfortunately we had to take Kindle in to get both of her eyes removed today. Even though she had major improvements last week with a new medicine, one eye swelled up really badly this week and was in danger of rupturing. Good news is that she made it out of surgery alright, and we're picking her up in a couple hours. I'll get some photos up when I can as a thank-you. She's very sweet and tough. The vet tech said she tried biting them several times, even though she is a tiny one-pound blind little baby. :kimchi:

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Yay, maybe she'll feel better with the surgery and be more into snarfing.

Cilantro (top) Sesame (bottom). Look how BIIIIG Cilantro is! He's almost 2lb, Ses is like 1.15. Yuge.

Cilantro is the one I posted with his eyes crusted shut. He's perfect now, no scars on his corneas or anything.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You grow up Cilantro so you can find your forever home that'll take good care of you.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Maaangy new friend!

Yuck. Got him some revolution+ today and he should start lookin better soon. Lady whose house he's at is feeding him and said he showed up a week ago or so. She gave him a bath to try to fix his skin, lmao. She had zero catwounds on her, so he's a very good boy. I'll snag him once the mange clears up so I don't infect the rest of my crew.

Aaaaand

New Beeb! He's at my friend's house getting over an eye infection and flea infestation now since I have 0 free room for sick beebs. Blegh, he was so so so dirty.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
100% can't wait for before and after pics for mangy friend

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

That Old Ganon posted:

100% can't wait for before and after pics for mangy friend

:same:

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
U like mange?? OK

This is Cordial. He showed up at my front door one day a few months ago all yucky.

He had a lot of open sores.

Here he is now with the butt of his twin Pretty Boy. Cordial hasn't had his balls snipped yet because I can't find the little bastard when I make his appointment. HE KNOWS.

Took 2 cats in to be fixed for my neighbor's mom today, a mama and one of her grown sons. I'm dumb and forgot to take pics so imagine 2 sad tuxedo cats in traps.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006

Checked on Yucky Boy yesterday, he feels like hard leather. It's super gross, poor dude.

I found out my neighbors whose house is behind mine have also been caring for him.

And neighbor is pretty sure she knows where he came from. She says there's a dude on her street who picks up cats and dogs in town and just brings them to his property, but never gets them fixed or any vet care. Oh boy. I'm gonna have to go talk to that guy.

And on the way to visit Yucky Boy, saw Joker.

Pretty girl :3:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I don't think that dude down the street would even notice if you took Yucky Boy and got him patched up and kept him forever and gave him treats

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Oh, i aint asking poo poo. I'll be telling him he better not be bringing intact, sick animals into the neighborhood and setting them loose.

Here's Mama Rose all gorgeous. She and the beebs had coccidia and went to the vet this week. Holy moly what a difference in their poostink. Few more weeks and they'll be ready to be fixed and adopted out! I can't wait to have my bathroom and guest room back... until more kittens.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

It has been quite a week. Kindle is doing amazing, and we finally got her eating on her own. Of course she has to be sitting in our lap while she eats from the bowl, but! She is eating dry food without needing formula or a bottle or anything else. I'll take it!

Here's Kindle, one week post-surgery with her paper plate collar, because she is too small for an actual e-collar.

We took her for a follow-up yesterday and the vet is pleased with her progress. Husband and I are talking about keeping her. She's so sweet and has such a hilarious personality. Plus we agreed when we started fostering, we would only adopt handicapped, or otherwise difficult-to-place cats. We already have a CH kitty, so I'm sure they would be fun company for each other.

Anyway, here is her sister Torch, who is still doing just fine and will be ready for her snips next week. She is bad as hell and knows when you have medicine for her.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Oh my god. :kimchi: Tiny baby knows she's got it MADE now.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Oh my

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Neat chair!

Where's the cat?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dienes posted:

I don't think that dude down the street would even notice if you took Yucky Boy and got him patched up and kept him forever and gave him treats

Please do this Comrade Cakewalk........... You really have to help that cat.

Is it OK to post a go fund me in here that I'm working on with the Rescue that I do fostering and TNR with for a foster cat that needs knee surgery?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 23, 2022

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

To be safe, PM a mod for clearance of it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Oh God

Here we go again

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not mine, but relevant.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

this guy seems ok with it

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Yucky BB?

Friend send me a pic of this lil guy Friday and I told her just bring him over. He's got mange and hella bad worms. He's so stinking cute and feels sooooo gross. He's missing about half of his fur. I've named him Iggy/Ignatius.

Found a home for Rose and 1 of her babies. The other 6 kittens (not including Iggy) will go to the Cattery for placement on the 20th. Iggy and another kitten, Jeffrey Von Picklemeeser III, will need more time to heal-up from their various yucks. Jeffrey has ringworm bad.

I haven't seen Yucky Boy for about a week. I think he may have gone back to his original house on the other side of the street. I'll look for him and see if he needs another mange treatment or not.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Send good thoughts to my foster Iji who is going in to get his patellar luxation fixed tomorrow....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

mcmagic posted:

Send good thoughts to my foster Iji who is going in to get his patellar luxation fixed tomorrow....

That is a handsome lad, I hope his procedure goes well and he makes a full return to comfort.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
We just adopted our fourth cat, this time from a local rescue. She might be better described as a cat-shaped void.

Meet Roxanne, Roxie for short.

The orange boy is Charlie, our senior cat.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

hello thread. you folks have some nice critters. i have two shelter cats, a flock of chickens, and recently acquired a stray dog who had been wandering around town. he must have let the word out, because a stray cat showed up tonight

i was working in the garage this evening, and my chickens started throwing a fit. i went outside to check on them, and there was a little cat sitting about 30 feet away. i hadn't seen her before so i kitty kittied and after a few seconds, she tried to run to me. emphasis on tried, because she was stumbling.

she made it to me and i could see she was in a bad way, skinny, missing some fur, oddly skinny tail, and odd stumbly gait. i got her some cat food and water and she tore into both. Mr. Glompton grabbed the cat carrier and she followed the food into it. i got her in the garage and let her wolf down her food and water.

i got a couple pics but my phone ate the one of her face. sorry about the state of the floor, i need to sweep.

i almost forgot that facebook exists, but once i thought to check it, i found a post my neighbor made 2 days ago saying this cat showed up and needs a home. she already has like 5 stray cats she's gotten fixed/feeds.

once she got done eating and drinking, she tried to jump in my lap, but due to the state of whatever is wrong with her legs, she couldn't. i sat down on the floor and she crawled right in my lap and started purring. poor little sweetheart. i had to go finish a project, but i went back out a bit later and she crawled in my lap again for another cuddle/purr.

i hope she is not preggo, tummy is a bit swollen, i couldn't feel any movement, maybe worms (ewww)? i can feel her spine/ribs, and her shoulder areas are dipped in/almost hairless

she doesn't have scabbiness and her eyes seem clear at least. most of her fur seems to be in decent shape, just has a few bare spots (not round so hoping not ringworm)

i also hope she is not a wobbly cat. as far as i can tell, she doesn't have the goosestepping part of the gait nor headbobbing so idk. maybe just starved/dehydrated? :smith: i'll try to get some video of her tomorrow.

soooooooo. she's in the garage bathroom, she has a litter pan, food, water, the carrier with a soft rug + some other soft rugs. i will do what i can for her tomorrow and then time for a vet visit as soon as we can get an appointment. i checked our local animal shelters and they are not accepting animals still, so she'll be staying with us.

Mr. Glompton's already started calling her Scraunch (he's been itchin to name something Scraunch) but says when she's all pretty again her name should be Honey

i'm concerned about her being a wobbly cat/having FeLV as i don't want my other cats to get it. they're both vaccinated but i know that's not 100% effective, and i've already endured a FeLV-related cat death. rather not experience that again

so, my questions are, what would you stray cat taker-iners do between now and a vet visit for a cat like this?

does anyone here have FeLV+ cats that they keep separated from uninfected cats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Keep her separated and wash your hands. FELV isnt super contagious, but it is contagious. She could also have other diseases/pests/ringworm you don't want your cats getting.

Wobbly cat isn't that big of a deal unless they have it really bad. It's not progressive. I fostered a wobbly cat that my friends adopted. She's fine, just falls over sometimes. lol.

I have 10 fosters right now ahahahaaAAAAAAAAAAAscreams echo into the night