Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Win a cake for the motherland.

I. M. Gei posted:

Kitton is still alive and still looking p healthy.

Pics:

Good job :) He (probably a he) looks about a week old.

I'm accidentally running a kitten rescue, apparently. Currently fostering 2 older kittens (6 weeks and 13 weeks) and my fellow catlady sends me this pic:

I took two, she's taking 3. We started a TNR nonprofit together and this is, uh, not what I wanted to be doing!! Oh well, I'm a sucker.

These new ones look to be around 3 weeks. At least they'll start eating on their own soon. The older kittens are going to a specialty no-kill cat shelter in about 2 weeks.

Ghost at peak cuteness. I'll miss this lil guy for sure. I will not miss his cabbage farts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Huh -- so I just saw a banner ad for a goon selling T-shirts to raise money for neutering feral cats, and thought it should be linked in this thread.

Cut pics of fosters in that thread too!

Gracias!

I was never supposed to have all these fosters, but some people are trash and HERE WE ARE. Currently have 6. Oliver was a filthy ringworm-infested bitey rear end in a top hat a coworker found at Sams Club. I took him to the vet before I let him in my house bc I thought he had ringworm, vet says no, but he did and now EVERYONE has ringworm! And the shelter people won't take him until he's completely cured.

He's my friend now, tho. Chonk

Tennessee, Hennessy, Ben, Izzy, and Killa B are 5 under 2lb babies my neighbor was going to put outside, so I took them because I am a sucker and kittens freezing/starving to death makes me sad. They also have ringworm. Lol.

I got the mother cat spayed for this neighbor.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006

mistaya posted:

Seriously who puts a bunch of babies out in January. I'm sorry about your ringworm, you did a very kind thing.
Yeah, I'm not happy about having 10 cats in my house, piled on my bed, play fighting all night, crying for food constantly, endless poop scooping... at least they're not bottle babies.

They're cute lil bastards, tho.

The only girl, Killa B

Izzy, probably my favorite

Tenessee, a naughty beautyboi

Henessey, beautyboi #1

Ben, butthole #1

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Good luck, bottle babies are hard. But rewarding.

Ghostbabby:

Ghostbiggie:

Ghost and his 2 brothers, RZA and ODB, were born outside and attacked by a dog when they were less than a day old. The dog killed mom and 2 other siblings and bit Ghost on the leg. My elderly neighbor (different one) showed-up at my house at like 9PM with 3 dirty kittens in a box after she found them and their dead mother under her porch.

Unfortunately, ODB and RZA didn't live, but Ghost pulled-through. He was very sick for a very long time and even became incontinent for a bit. That was reallllllly terrible, I'm still finding lil poo stains. After much trial and error, we finally discovered he's severely allergic to chicken. He's strong and healthy now :) Ghost is a fosterfail, he's my baby and spoiled absolutely rotten.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Baby Ghost time!

Milkstache

Milkstache!

Cuuuuute!

I love biting through Macbook cords!!

Lotta butt baths...

Lotta being scratched to hell while scrubbing diarrhea off of this animal. If there's any diseases you can get from that, I guess I have em.

And Ghost now:

Pretty boy :3:

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

hi how do I keep the 10 to 15 outdoor feral cats that hang out in my garage during bad weather from freezing to death during the 96+ straight hours of record-breaking below-freezing cold we’re about to get, with very little money (maybe $70 to $80 max, and preferably much lower)?
I have a bunch of plastic bins I cut entrance holes in and filled with straw. Like $5/bin and maybe $10 for a mini bale at tractor supply. It doesn't get quite as cold here, but the kitties use them when it gets into the 40s and below.

Edit: how about a cat pic

This here is Pearl. I trapped her at a sushi restaurant downtown and tamed her. She was hard to let go, she became soooooooo sweet. I could pick her up and she would just go limp in my arms. I'm sure she's making someone very happy right now, though :3:

Comrade Cakewalk fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 12, 2021

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Nice :) The best dog I ever had was a black lab mutt my brother found in a parking lot. Very smart, but also loyal and obedient, so she wouldn't get into naughty trouble the way smart dogs often do. She could do a bunch of tricks, including agility stuff and catching frisbees. The very best dog.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
I finally got rid of all my kittens last week. First they were too small, then ringworm, then URIs. The adoption shelter almost didn't take them because 1 had a little scab behind an ear they thought could be ringworm. After a bunch of photos and calls to the vet, they decided it wasn't and took the kittens. PHEW!

Let's see how long it is before someone else brings me kittens in a shoebox.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Lol, is it ever really voluntary?

Ben being a doof

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006

wheatpuppy posted:

I have never heard of that with a cat, but I recall some local humane society drama around a dog that had been seized from an abusive owner. They later tried to use a 3rd party go-between to adopt the dog as soon as it went up on the website. It probably would have worked if their chosen representative hadn't vented to the shelter staff about how the seizure was all a big misunderstanding and "Gary would never" and how she was going to make things right.
Maybe if the cat was used for breeding or something, but I'm sure they'll sterilize it before homing it. My aunt took-in an abused stud dog and the people relentlessly harassed her to get him back until she told them she'd had him neutered, then they hosed off.

People are such trash.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

welp

I just found at least 2 more tiny kittens in my garage.

They’re pretty well hidden behind and under a bunch of stuff, and there was an adult cat with them that ran off when I discovered them, but they were also crying pretty loud. Not sure whether or not that’s a sign that the adult cat isn’t feeding them, or if maybe it was just getting ready to start feeding when I showed up.

Luckily I have a fresh unopened can of KMR ready and waiting for this exact occasion, but once again I need to ask this thread whether I should bring the kittens inside and feed them myself or let the adult cat that may or may not be the mother handle them.

I’m also a bit worried I may have spooked the adult into abandoning them.

What I do?
The best possible thing would be to trap the adult and keep her confined with the babies until they're old enough to survive on their own and then spay her. That's a lot of work and trouble, though, not sure if you want to do all that.

At the least, leave the babies where they are and let her come back for them. She may move them. Maybe put some food and water out for her to entice her to stay there where it's safe. If she doesn't come back after a day, then take them.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
I have a Disney Magic dog rescue story.

So, on my way home from work last Friday, I see this dog wearing a pink harness running back and forth across a pretty busy street. I never stop for dogs and see loose dogs ALL THE TIME (South TX lolll), so I went past her. By the time I got to the light, I was possessed with the need to go get that dog. I turn around and drive back, don't see her, circle around a few times, finally spot the dog on a side street and stop.

When I actually got close to her, I realized how big she was, probably 70lbs Rottweiler mix. Scared, but still being possessed by dogspirits, I called out to her and asked if she was nice. She wagged her tail and came over to me and licked my hands. I was hoping she'd have a tag on the harness, but no such luck. I got a rope out of my car and used it as a leash to get her into the back of my jeep.

Pictured: me wondering what the gently caress I'm doing

Then I remembered I had Meowcatraz, a 10x10 kennel in my backyard I got for Ragoon's hospice care. Drove home, put her in Meowcatraz, and put pics of her up on Nextdoor and Facebook.

Saturday morning a lady from a local rescue messaged me asking if I still had the dog and if I wanted to give them the dog. SWEET. Yes and yes, so she came over. When I lead the dog out to her car, she goes 'Oh... oh that's a big dog.' Yeah?? I put a pic of her up and said she's a Rottweiler idk what lady was expecting. She doesn't have room for a dog that big, but if I can hang onto her for a few weeks, they'll have room. I agree to keep the dog and she takes the dog to the vet to be checked out and scanned for a chip.

The dog has a chip! Awesome right? NO! The owner refuses to take the dog back because "she gets out all the time." No poo poo, you stupid bastard, she's not spayed and is a very big and powerful dog.

BUT, there's a previous owner on the chip! The first owner got Alice (the dog) when Alice was a puppy, but after Hurricane Harvey, they had to move and couldn't keep her at their new apartment. She gave Alice to the dipshit who should be fired into the sun and thought all was well. The first owner just bought a house with a fenced yard and her family was considering getting a dog. When she got the call from the vet, she immediately agreed to take Alice and rushed to my house after picking up some supplies at Petsmart. The instant she saw Alice, she started crying. Alice was happy to see her too (although Alice was happy to see me and the rescue lady and the vet... she's just a happy dog). She brought her 13 year old daughter along, but didn't tell her the dog they were getting was Alice. That kid was pretty dang happy to see her old dog.

The cherry on top is the rescue org will get the dog spayed and vetted for them. How perfect can you get??

And an amusing aside, my cat Jim was NOT having this dog be at his house. I'm not sure if he thought I was in danger or if he was being territorial, but he was outside when I gave Alice to her new old family and he challenged that dog. Fur floofed, scary face on, hissing, stalking the dog. He wouldn't stop, so I had to grab him and throw him inside. Alice either didn't notice or didn't care about the pint-sized tiger out for blood.

Comrade Cakewalk fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 16, 2021

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006

Sunday morning as i was driving home from picking up bagels and coffee, I see a guy at the bus stop near my house set this tiny black fluff on the ground. U-TURN!! He said the kitten wasn't his, he was just moving her back from the street so she wouldn't get hit. Yoink. I walked around looking for more, but couldn't find any.

I had been helping a guy who found some neonatal kittens his dogs got into a few weeks ago, but all the kittens ended-up dying. I knew he was heartbroken and suspected he might want this lil black fluffers. He did! Horray, fastest rescue ever, I don't think I even had her 48 hours.

THEN

Chick at work has this stray cat give birth in her backyard and asked me if I'd take them. I have some kind of brain sickness, so I said yes. They're all cozy in my guest bedroom right now, mama and her SIX babies.

KITTEN. SEASON.

Oh and when I picked-up the kitty family, a house across the street was absolutely covered in cats and kittens. I figure this is where mama cat came from. Whoever lives there wouldn't come to the door, but I could hear the TV on. I left my number with their neighbor, so that may end-up being a project if they'll let me help them. Nothing brings me more joy than stealing cat balls.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006

I've decided mama's name is Starlight. IDK on baby names yet. Everyone is still alive and well!

This lil punk has been hissing at me and he just opened his eyes today! So cute.

Yeah this is absolutely not a feral cat. Even a drugged feral cat wouldn't lick baby food out of a spoon from a stranger. Is he otherwise healthy? No FIV? FeLV?

Comrade Cakewalk fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 11, 2021

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Yep. I had one of the little kittens suddenly crash 2 weeks ago and didn't bother going to the e-vet because I knew I'd just come home with no kitten and a $3k bill.

The other kittens are doing fine. They all got URIs from their mother and the littlest one that died got pneumonia. The others responded well to the antibiotics my regular vet gave me and seem to be over it.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006

Pretty boy getting some snuggles on the couch, then...

zonk! Lol

The kitties are all weened now, but not big enough to adopt out yet. They're at this wonderful age where they're all sock assassins and are exploring the house for new and exciting places to hide poops.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Cats! Cats! Cats! Cats! Cats! Look at my caaaats!

Orange cats! 5 orange kitties. Picked em up today.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006

Happy mama!

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Also, because I'm a lunatic, I have fosters in my bathroom too!

Yeeeee! It's the Fungus Girls! Ringleader is Princess Peach.

First Deputy of Mischief, Princess Toadstool.

And then there's Domino. She's the shyest, so no Princess title yet.

They all have ringworm, so they need to get over that before they go to the no kill cat shelter. Can't wait to have my bathroom back, I need to finish the cabinets...

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Orange babies and pretty siamese mix girls are all doing great. Orange mama got spayed yesterday and the girls are all spayed now.

Toad is still healing from a bad ringworm lesion on her back, other 2 are completely healed.

And thennnn....

My friend is a locally-known dog rescuer and people dump animals at her house occasionally. 7 babies and their mother were dumped Saturday night at her house in a box. I went Sunday to check them out and 2 had already died and 1 died in my hands when i was looking at them. It was bad. Fleas like I've never seen. Ants. Eyes crusted shut. Bad.

I took the 4 survivors and their mother home, bathed and started medicating babies. Mama got spayed yesterday and I'm gonna put her in the yard today. She's terrified and in my bathroom right now. I think she'll be more comfortable in the yard. Babies have teeth, so they can eat food.

I went to the vet Wednesday and he said they looked great, keep doing what I'm doing. I've never had kittens bounce back this fast. I really expected at least the little black one to be dead Monday morning.

Eeeee!

Omggggg hes soooo cute and sooooo little!

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Well, the little black kitten wasn't able to recover from the flea anemia, eye infections, and coccidia, she died this weekend :(

Other kittens are doing really, really well. This one is my favorite, she's so cute. The biggest one is a bastard, he runs and hisses. LOVE ME, GODDAMNIT.

I almost had 2 more kittens, lmao. But the lady who has them wouldn't give them to me unless I also took their feral mother. I told her I'll get the mother cat spayed for her for free, but I'm not taking a feral cat. No deal, says the idiot. No deal. Cool. Super cool.
I should have just done what I've done to other people: take the feral cat, get it fixed, put it right back where I got it. "Hahaha! Oh wow, it came back? How weeeeirdd..."

Hope those kittens are still alive. :sigh:

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
She's precious and very lovey

yum yum yum!

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Yay, maybe she'll feel better with the surgery and be more into snarfing.

Cilantro (top) Sesame (bottom). Look how BIIIIG Cilantro is! He's almost 2lb, Ses is like 1.15. Yuge.

Cilantro is the one I posted with his eyes crusted shut. He's perfect now, no scars on his corneas or anything.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Maaangy new friend!

Yuck. Got him some revolution+ today and he should start lookin better soon. Lady whose house he's at is feeding him and said he showed up a week ago or so. She gave him a bath to try to fix his skin, lmao. She had zero catwounds on her, so he's a very good boy. I'll snag him once the mange clears up so I don't infect the rest of my crew.

Aaaaand

New Beeb! He's at my friend's house getting over an eye infection and flea infestation now since I have 0 free room for sick beebs. Blegh, he was so so so dirty.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
U like mange?? OK

This is Cordial. He showed up at my front door one day a few months ago all yucky.

He had a lot of open sores.

Here he is now with the butt of his twin Pretty Boy. Cordial hasn't had his balls snipped yet because I can't find the little bastard when I make his appointment. HE KNOWS.

Took 2 cats in to be fixed for my neighbor's mom today, a mama and one of her grown sons. I'm dumb and forgot to take pics so imagine 2 sad tuxedo cats in traps.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006

Checked on Yucky Boy yesterday, he feels like hard leather. It's super gross, poor dude.

I found out my neighbors whose house is behind mine have also been caring for him.

And neighbor is pretty sure she knows where he came from. She says there's a dude on her street who picks up cats and dogs in town and just brings them to his property, but never gets them fixed or any vet care. Oh boy. I'm gonna have to go talk to that guy.

And on the way to visit Yucky Boy, saw Joker.

Pretty girl :3:

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Oh, i aint asking poo poo. I'll be telling him he better not be bringing intact, sick animals into the neighborhood and setting them loose.

Here's Mama Rose all gorgeous. She and the beebs had coccidia and went to the vet this week. Holy moly what a difference in their poostink. Few more weeks and they'll be ready to be fixed and adopted out! I can't wait to have my bathroom and guest room back... until more kittens.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Yucky BB?

Friend send me a pic of this lil guy Friday and I told her just bring him over. He's got mange and hella bad worms. He's so stinking cute and feels sooooo gross. He's missing about half of his fur. I've named him Iggy/Ignatius.

Found a home for Rose and 1 of her babies. The other 6 kittens (not including Iggy) will go to the Cattery for placement on the 20th. Iggy and another kitten, Jeffrey Von Picklemeeser III, will need more time to heal-up from their various yucks. Jeffrey has ringworm bad.

I haven't seen Yucky Boy for about a week. I think he may have gone back to his original house on the other side of the street. I'll look for him and see if he needs another mange treatment or not.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Keep her separated and wash your hands. FELV isnt super contagious, but it is contagious. She could also have other diseases/pests/ringworm you don't want your cats getting.

Wobbly cat isn't that big of a deal unless they have it really bad. It's not progressive. I fostered a wobbly cat that my friends adopted. She's fine, just falls over sometimes. lol.

I have 10 fosters right now ahahahaaAAAAAAAAAAAscreams echo into the night

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
My current foster is a mangy little guy named Cypress. This morning I found him collapsed on the floor and rushed him to the vet. He’s alive and doing better, but isn’t great. His blood sugar crashed from him being so thin and not eating for almost a day.
He’s estimated at 4 months old and has the worst mange I’ve ever seen as well as urine burns on his lil leggies. Whomever had him is a real piece of poo poo. I picked him up Monday.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Yes, he was just too sick. I’ve lost a few sick kittens, it doesn’t get easier :(

I have healthy kittens right now, though. They’re very cute

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Beeeebees

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
I also have these

Cuties were in a hot garage, their sibling died. The tortie is a piggy :)

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Cute fat old man :3

Soon to be my new guy:

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Yeah he’s got ringworm but he’s adorable and sweet. Someone dumped him at a coworker’s mothers house. I really don’t have room, but OH WELL.

More of the littles and their mama:

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Got some new ones!

Caught these 3 vicious lil bbs and got stung by wasps for my trouble. So I’m allergic to wasps. Fun fun. My arm still hurts/itches a week later.

RJ is still my favorite and doing great
Before

After

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
My bb :cry:

He had a recurring hematoma and had surgery. Now he’s got a dog ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
He is pretty cute.

Last week transported a bunch of lil dogs and 6 cats to WI from STX.

And celebrated a successful trip with tacos and ear piercings. lol

Animal transport is a super weird/shady group of people. My friend and I do it for free for shelters/nonprofits we like.